Eventbrite Engineering Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 29 Jul 2019

4.7
Eventbrite Co-Founder & CEO Julia Hartz
Julia Hartz

"Company with a great culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Madrid

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for less than a year

Pros

Inclusive company, they work for people inclusion in many ways, they're always open to talk with employees, you work as a team, collaborating with your colleagues. They used inclusive languages, they support internal groups as woman, diversity, etc You have a 1:1 with your manager every week or every 2 weeks and you also as a 1:1 with the manager of your manager to be sure everything is going well.

Cons

Sometimes it's a bit hard the different timezone but they're working on improve that for everyone

Advice to Management

You're doing a good job

Eventbrite2019-07-29

"Best place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for less than a year

Pros

- We have a great educational culture. For me, the most important thing I was looking for was investment in my engineering education, and that's happened on both a team/manager level and department wide. We have many internal educational programs (lectures, workshops, funding for conferences and educational materials, mentorship program, access to Udemy courses, etc), and my managers have been fully supportive of helping me transition to fullstack engineer. I mean, I am working right now with one of the founders on Django on an educational project. That's so awesome in and of itself. - We have a great engineering culture. We have a healthy culture of feedback and discussion - I feel like we are always discussing the best way to accomplish things, and people are really passionate about finding the right way forward that's the best for everyone. - I really believe in the product and mission. Our goals are to help create live experiences as well as support our event creators, which is something I can definitely get behind, having been an event planner in a previous life. - I get to bring my whole self to work, and get to do all the things I'm interested in. I'm not only interested in coding - I also love education and diversity initiatives, and have been allowed work time to accomplish things like an internal mentorship program and bringing diverse groups into our space. - We have a great culture overall. Management is celebratory of the work we do, without being too over the top and flashy (unlike some other companies in the area). We have lots of great internal events as well. Also, I really feel like management cares about both the employees and customers. Management is constantly asking for feedback and acting upon it. - I have lots of opportunity for growth and promotion, and options available to pursue the career path I want - either continuing to be an individual contributor or go into management. I've also had multiple directors across different departments take interest in my career growth and offer their help. - I feel like I'm being paid very fairly and there are great benefits. Good medical, and lots of really nice perks around the office - smoothie bar, in house massages/chiro, lunch is provided, snacks, commuting benefits, wellness stipend, etc. - I am really listened to by my manager and upper management. I was rather unhappy on a project due to extenuating circumstances, and was switched to a different project that was more in line with what I want to accomplish. All of which I feel very grateful for. - Good work-life balance. Sometimes there's a project deadline and people have to work really hard to get stuff out of the door, but in general managers are really respectful of work life balance. We also have a really good culture of being flexible with time off and working remote. - I get to build cool stuff, working for our R&D department. - The interview process was one of the best I've ever been through. They were willing to meet me where I was at (being a junior engineer), and my first phone screen was with a director, not a recruiter. That really left a lasting impression on me. - Lastly, the people. I LOVE the people I get to work with - they are so incredibly knowledgeable, kind, and supportive. Also, just really freaking cool. Everyone has something that they are passionate about, both inside and outside of work. I have met so many amazing and inspiring people at work, and genuinely feel like I have made friends. This is probably one of the biggest factors of what's going to keep me around for a long time. All in all, I can't recommend Eventbrite enough. I love it here, plain and simple.

Cons

The internal development environment has been really difficult to work with in the past - lots of lost time and productivity. We don't have an official QA department. That sometimes is a bit concerning. Sometimes our internal culture isn't as cohesive as I would like - both SF wide and engineering as well. I do feel connected to other offices, as we have had opportunity to visit and work with each other which I feel grateful for. But I thankfully have friends across all the departments, which makes it feel a lot smaller.

Eventbrite2019-03-08

"Great coworkers, great culture, and interesting challenges - what more could you ask for?"

Current Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great career opportunities here - lots of intracompany mobility. There are a lot of really tenured engineers at Eventbrite because people like the work culture, their coworkers, and with all of the opportunities within the company there's always an interesting next project.

Cons

Dev environment and release process need improvements. There's still a lot of work to be done to break out of the monolithic codebase.

Eventbrite2019-03-11

"A tech company with heart."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Executives truly care about their employees and speak authentically to us * Nice selection of benefits * Excellent team and culture * Work life balance is real * Career mobility is real * Our business is unusually tangible: tickets and live experience which lead to feeling a good sense of accomplishment from the work we do

Cons

* Like most tech companies, or any companies, YMMV depending on team/manager.

Eventbrite2019-02-27
  5. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mendoza

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people in Mendoza is great! You can learn from peers from the USA, Spain, Argentina, among others.

Cons

Some teams have poor challenges and others have more exciting ones. People management is not well implemented, but you can live without it.

Advice to Management

Higher Management should tell what they expect from People managers. VPs are open to listening to you which is great.

Eventbrite2019-02-22
  6. "Great place to work, full of opportunities"

Current Employee - Frontend Engineer in Madrid

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for less than a year

Pros

Global company with lots of career opportunities. Eventbrite HQ puts a lot of trust and value on the Spanish office, and gives us ample room to give value back to the company. Friendly work environment that really makes an effort to honor work life balance

Cons

One of our challenges of working in a global company is collaborating across timezones. Conversely, one of our perks is being able to visit our peers around the globe

Advice to Management

Keep up the momentum!

Eventbrite2019-01-14
  7. "Taken Care Of"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been amazed at how much Eventbrite invests in me not only as an employee, but also as a person. I'm encouraged to be my best self, to spend time with my family, and also just have fun. There is a clear trajectory for me as an engineer, and a fantastic amount of transparency from our leadership.

Cons

Grant it, I've only been here since June of 2018, but I'd be hard pressed to come up with any cons at this point. :)

Eventbrite2019-01-08

"Are We Really Happy?"

Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Eventbrite full-time for more than a year

Pros

* The management has really improved over the last year. I think Eventbrite actually tries hard to make sure employees are happy, but there is something missing and hence a handful of good people already left. * Great work-life balance. * Some of the smartest and kindest people. There is a few people who are not that good but there is few of them. * Free lunches * Work across the world as there is more acquisitions if you are lucky * Unlike salary, benefits are pretty good

Cons

* Pay quite below the average for engineers * If you are one of the hire up favorites, your concerns are more likely to be addressed. Same goes in engineering. Not much gets done unless you are one of the people who is "respected". It's a bit biased to be honest. * As someone already mentioned, behind that good exterior there is hidden lies and lack of enthusiasm.

Advice to Management

Promote people if they work hard and go out of their ways. The pay is low so there is not much incentive unless you make it so (with more raises and promotions).

Eventbrite2018-10-30
  9. "Eventbrite is the best company I've ever worked for."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing people to work with, great lifestyle, great healthcare, good other perks.

Cons

Pay should be better. HR leveling doesn't always make sense since there are frequently no comparable roles in this region.

Advice to Management

Be even more transparent and even more honest. Pay us more. Beware of bureaucracy creep. It's gotten a bit worse over the past few years.

Eventbrite2018-04-19

"a few rotten apples"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Eventbrite full-time for less than a year

Pros

free lunches, smart people, culture of technical excellence

Cons

the pressure on the company to perform means that management makes short-term decisions that favor employees with "indispensable knowledge" who drive away other good employees by being abrasive and bad team players.

Advice to Management

In the long run you'll be more successful if you actually focus on the culture as much as you say you do.

Eventbrite2018-04-18