Extra Space Storage Division Learning Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 24 Jan 2020

4.2
Extra Space Storage CEO Joe Margolis
Joe Margolis
  1. "Extra Space is a great place to work! The culture is fabulous."

Current Employee - District Manager in Na-Duar

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You get a sense that upper management recognizes the importance of and the contributions made by its employees. Solid opportunities for growth.

Cons

I can't think of any significant cons. Perhaps the rapid growth of the company is contributing to a reduction in that family feel that Extra Space once had.

Advice to Management

Continue to demonstrate your appreciation for your employees and recognize their value.

Extra Space Storage2017-08-19
  2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay, hours are set and Sundays off. Friendly staff and very helpful. Close stores to each other so helpful for training and helping each other out when short handed.

Cons

Working outside during weather Working alone some

Extra Space Storage2020-01-24

"Be thorough when accepting employment"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Extra Space Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hours are awesome, job duties are easy, work environment is fun

Cons

Communication is not seamless and transparent, upper management does not want to handle issues that employees are unsuccessful at resolving, training is different at each site, but is supposed to be the same, there is favoritism, and what is promised to employees (upon hire and throughout career) is not upheld if not put in writing.

Advice to Management

Work on communication with store managers, district manager, and associate managers, ensure that training has same at each site so when managers cover different sites, all employees know the fundamentals of the duties that are to be done, provide more training for conflict resolution so that employees feel comfortable coming to work and performing said duties, make sure that DTL's and DM's treat each employee the same, and if something is promised to an employee, put it in writing.

Extra Space Storage2020-01-19
  4. "Great place too work!"

I have been working at Extra Space Storage

Pros

Everything! They work with you to make sure you get training you need. They care about you and they pay with living wages. You get the time off you need. Upper management cares

Cons

There are no cons for this job.

Extra Space Storage2020-01-03

"Do Not Come In Expecting Opportunity Growth From The Ground Up"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Extra Space Storage

Pros

A fast paced environment with little down time. A workplace with many goals to achieve and to track with a workplace balance that is exceptional.

Cons

Field employees are rarely given their chance to move forward in this company causing them to lose internal talent. A talent drain with field employees has been extensive across the board with few high performers, causing the company to charge far more than the market value of units and goods to make up for the talent drain of their field employees. The only reason it's top 90 of 100 companies in the US on Glassdoor, is that it asks its employees to review the company positively in exchange for gift card chances. I would not recommend this job to friends or family members as they over manage their expectations of employees and pay below the industry average. For an example if your slightly overweight, you will be looked down upon and be told that you need to meet the company image. You can take your complaint to HR but they will do nothing if you have nothing in writing. If you get too old, in a corporate position, they try to push you out even if you perform to a high standard, which is around 50. They'll hire district managers that cause multi million dollar class action lawsuits and fire an entire district worth of employees without just cause but keep them in line to be senior district managers. Any other workplace would remove these people but Extra Space Storage embraces them.

Advice to Management

Stop overmanaging your expectations and embrace the people that work for your company.

Extra Space Storage2019-12-20

"Customer Service is secondary"

Former Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Extra Space Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay and benefits and adequate training

Cons

Laborious, work every Saturday , and you can be changed between stores based in need

Advice to Management

Make sure you let all applicants know that it is mainly a property management job as in maintenance and janitorial work and customer service is secondary.

Extra Space Storage2019-12-18

"No Care. No integrity. Stay away"

Former Employee - Onsite Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Onsite apartment if you are lucky.

Cons

Pay is not competitive Traveling all over because the turn over is so high they can’t keep employees. They brag about their core values being about caring and appreciation, but will fire you while still on Workmans comp so you can’t get another job. Even though you dedicated 3 years of your life and wanted to retire from ESS. They couldn’t wait 4 weeks for me to come back to work. Meanwhile no one is applying and staff is stretched so thin people are barely surviving. They will set employees up for failure by shopping them. If you don’t do things exactly perfect then you get shamed for not being a robot. The only people making money is the CEO and president.. who like to brag about their new sports car at staff meetings. Then demean employees because we don’t want to rent to drug addicts. Raises are a joke! .20? In this economy? Are you joking? Also they fired me and kicked me and my family out of the onsite apartment a week before Christmas. Real caring place right? Class action lawsuit just got finalized because they refuse to staff offices correctly so people get their breaks.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting this company as a caring and appreciating place. If you don’t have that many employees in the first place, don’t fire any who have a desire to come back. Pay your people. If an employee shows they are working hard to recover from a injury caused by you the employer, give them time off to go to doctors appointments and therapy. Don’t drop the ball and them blame then employee. We are only doing what we can. You are the managers above us, take time to Actually get things right, instead of figuring out you messed up and then force someone out of their homes.

Extra Space Storage2020-01-05

"Work here if you like being broke"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Stable work hours, it's not a difficult job

Cons

Horrible pay, high sales expectations with little incentive, cheap company, required travel from sites

Advice to Management

Pay your people, this company makes Millions in net profit and pays nickels and dimes. Stop being so cheap

Extra Space Storage2020-01-07
  9. "Could Have Had A Career Here"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Extra Space Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Every day provided something different!

Cons

Management, Pay, Treatment of Employees. It is difficult to express in words the complete and total lack of care and consideration from upper management who were all safe inside their office building while we dealt with the weight of the company. The sales process was egregious, forcing managers to make overpriced sales, and coercing insurance sales. There were so many shady business practices, I felt dirty working there.

Advice to Management

Become a people focused business instead of a cash grab. Please stop treating your employees like they're expendable. Job postings also need to be corrected to better match qualifications, and be able to position employees to better fit their capabilities. Oh, and stop forcing merchandise sales. No one wants to buy your overpriced items.

Extra Space Storage2020-01-06
  10. "Hard work, dedication, and integrity pay off here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee At Store Support Center in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Management at Extra Space is the best I've ever seen. They genuinely care about the staff and want us to feel fulfilled and challenged. My manager always gives me sound, educated advice but allows me to work through issues or come up with ideas for improvement on my own when appropriate. I always feel supported and empowered by my manager. One of the best things about working for Extra Space Storage is that I know the things I do matter. If I accept challenge and change with a positive attitude, work with integrity, and consistently do my best every day, it is noticed and it matters. If I were to resist challenge or change, have a poor attitude, avoid getting my job done, or act with anything less than impeccable integrity, that would also be noticed and would also matter. Depending on a person's own work ethic, they may or may not like working here for those reasons. You also need to be able to understand and carry out your work and be willing to continue to learn and improve.

Cons

There really aren't any. Extra Space is a fantastic company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and thank you for doing it.

Extra Space Storage2019-11-27