Flipp Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Wehuns Tan
  1. "Great work term"

Former Contractor - Software Engineering Co-op

I worked at Flipp

Pros

Culture was a great fit for a modern company.

Cons

Happened rarely, but there was a bit of disorganization at times.

Flipp2019-07-20

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Flipp full-time

Pros

Collaboration with some brilliant people. Challenging tasks. Flexible work schedule. Casual and fun atmosphere. Free snacks, and I live in Mississauga so commute is great.

Cons

Fast-paced -- sometimes too much so and need to keep up with it. Not enough time to think carefully about the best answer to problems.

Advice to Management

More recognition and reward programs may be good.

Flipp2019-04-22

"Amazing place, amazing people"

Former Employee - Software Engineer Co-Op in Etobicoke, ON

I worked at Flipp full-time for less than a year

Pros

The work is rewarding and the people are the nicest, youngest bunch you can find. The environment is undoubtedly the best I've been in, as I'm sure everyone who's been would tell you. Foosball, couches, snacks and lunches, and trips year-round.

Cons

The work for co ops can be repetitive by the forth month, but the team is always supportive for you expanding into other areas of development as long as you finish your tasks.

Flipp2019-02-24
  4. "great time"

Current Intern - Software Engineer

I have been working at Flipp for more than a year

Pros

good experience and there were good benefits

Cons

not a lot of fun

Flipp2019-02-07

"Company is mismanaged. Not a good future."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The people and individual contributor culture really is great. I love my team. - A lot of freedom on team's technical direction. - It really is a startup, despite having hundreds of employees now. This comes with pros and cons. - This also means there is a significant opportunity to contribute and learn so many things. - Opportunity to work on a lot of cool projects within Flipp. - Benefits are great. - Very... competitive compensation.

Cons

I'm just an individual contributor but: - Management is very vague. None of the words coming out of them have much meaning. It's just buzzwords. - The wrong people are getting recognized. As a result, most of our best performing employees are leaving/already left. - High turnover at management level. Since a few months ago, a lot of strong individual contributors left. - Senior management is not good, just... terrible priorities and decision making across the business. One example, a large round of layoffs before the December holidays. Another example, so much talk about Flipp becoming the greatest ever but we are not delivering anything meaningful on the consumer side to get us there. - The CEO (or C-level leadership) has made several decisions regarding priorities that lead to literally zero progress for Flipp as a company over the past 2 years. - The entire company context switches to focus on an entirely new company direction every 6 months. - Company morale is low. I feel no one cares at the individual contributor level here. - The only reason to try your best here is for self improvement, you will get nothing else out of it. - Flipp delayed giving their employees raises and instead promised to retroactively pay raises 6 months later. Major red flag. Summary: Flipp is a good place to be if you want to coast and collect a decent paycheck. The only condition is you stay friendly with management and become numb to the issues above.

Advice to Management

- Just because you have been at Flipp since its inception does not make you a good Manager, Director, or C level leader - Hire more senior management externally

Flipp2018-07-18

"Great but lots of room for improvements"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Extremely good cross team knowledge sharing - Career growth and feedback is top-notch (coaching culture is first-class) - Hired very well in the past year, as the company grew so did the talent level - Team/Company activities and trips are engaging

Cons

- Office snacks have degraded over time - Office is a bit dull compared to other startups, looks like a generic office workspace - Location is meh, downtown Toronto or Waterloo could fair better - You are locked to Goodlife when it comes to exercise benefits - No transparent Education allowance - Working remotely is not an optimal experience. Tooling for remote work is lagging. So many empty spaces everywhere,... its may be time to adopt a desk sharing policy.

Advice to Management

- Look to improve remote work culture - Look to other companies when it comes to improving benefits, look to be innovative in this area

Flipp2018-07-04
  7. "Great Place To Do An Internship!"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Toronto, ON

I worked at Flipp for less than a year

Pros

- Culture is great, everyone is really relaxed and nice - Gym membership, metro pass, friday lunches - Can ask for more complex work if you want to - Trips every winter and summer

Cons

- Can potentially be stuck doing the same easy task if there are no advanced jobs for you at the moment - Co-ops and full times don't hang out that much apart from company events

Flipp2018-06-03

"Polarizing..."

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Flipp full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get ownership over exciting projects in the SDLC you wouldnt normally have in an enterprise or otherwise large company Friday lunches and a generous benefits package, because you know, what other selling points are there

Cons

While the culture was very process-oriented (although they're not a startup anymore), there are some situations where processes set arent just feasible but bog you down. I remember being called out and shamed in meetings for not following something to a tee regardless of the end result. Flipp prides itself on its culture or "having the best teams". While a lot of whats said is propaganda, your manager is not your... "family" or your "friend", and wont hesitate to drop you at any point if theres any irresponsiblity or misstep in product delivery. Why must there be constant micromanaging? Perhaps its because your manager has to look out for themselves too. I think the issue stems from the exec level. Lastly, the coaching system needs a lot of work. Too many people are placed into any team without a decision on if its the best match for their strengths/interest or for the team. Due to a lack of senior leadership (turnover), the coaches are either amateur/inexperienced or not selected by choice. Which leads me to believe why many feel they were not setup for success or given the tools to. The fearmongering and intimidation is really not necessary. It makes you not think clearly and there are more effective ways to mentor or grow people. A lot of the engineering squads have been understaffed to match the ratio of work. History repeats itself because there was an underresourcing issue when I first joined and when I left. no career progression - At nearly an year in I decided to leave. There was no career development or movement for me. Bottomline: You might have a honeymoon period, but youre not going to enjoy working here in the long run.

Flipp2018-05-05

"This place is a NIGHTMARE"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Etobicoke, ON

I worked at Flipp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Nice office. - Some smart people.

Cons

- No job stability - Office politics, secret meetings, people are let go without the rest of the company knowing. People talk behind your back. - No work life balance. Expected to work weekends and nights. - Too many meetings, many unnecessary and a waste of time. - They tax you on the benefits. They made a mistake on the taxes and then everybody's taxes were re accessed and everyone had to pay more... taxes for the past 3 year. - They say your allowed to work from home, but then your judged if you work from home. - If your given a promotion there is a 50% chance of being fired. Seriously, I was there for 5 years and 1 out of 2 people who were given a promotion were fired. - Friday lunches are free but you have to wait about 45 mins in line. And they do not order enough food so they tell you to watch your portions. If your late in line there will be no meat left. - Snacks and fridge is usually empty, they stock it up on interview days I think. Bottled water is only for candidates. - Your given a laptop and phone, but they charge you if you go over the usage and the laptop might be an old laptop. Actually the phone will be used too.

Advice to Management

Do not shoot and move. Do not over promise to partners. Try to keep your employees(I don't think you can find 10 people in the company that have been there for over 2 years)

Flipp2018-04-20

"One of the best places I've worked"

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Flipp for more than a year

Pros

Amazing people, great benefits (health, transit, food and perks, maternity/ paternity leave), people that believe in what the do, great company culture, like going to work with your friends all the time, good salary, good vacation and work from home policies

Cons

Sometimes long hours and expectation that you're willing to work sometimes past standard office hours

Advice to Management

If you're going to talk the talk, you need to walk the walk - more so than everyone else. People here look up to you, and clear communication is necessary. Listen to the teams when they say "hey, maybe we shouldn't be doing this"

Flipp2017-12-19