I loved the environment and the division I worked in. Everyone was helpful and invested in me building my career. Great place for young researchers to start off at!
Hard to move outside of division. Everything is very very siloed.
I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (More than 5 years)
- Meaningful high impact projects
- Talented faculty, administration, grants and finance teams
- Professional atmosphere
- Excellent training resources
- Vertical advancement dependent on team
- Good benefits
- Great campus
- Employee equitably
- Caffeteria food cost
Advice to Management
Keep internal promotions on par with external hires
I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time
This review is for the Statistical Center for HIV and AIDS Research and Prevention (SCHARP), which is a organization within Fred Hutch.
- Brilliant staff, faculty, and investigators. You'll work with some investigators and faculty who are literally among the best in the world in their field.
- Great atmosphere. People are generally friendly, supportive, and professional.
- You'll have the opportunity to work on some really neat studies and projects.
- The Fred Hutch campus is really pretty with a lot of areas to take a break inside and outside.
- Flexible work schedules with the possibility to work from home a day or two a week.
- Great health insurance and sick leave allowance.
- Lower level managers are generally supportive and respond well to new ideas.
- The organization is making a genuine effort to streamline inefficient processes.
- You are allowed to work mostly independently.
- Excellent work-life balance. Rare that you have to work more than 40 hours a week.
- The cafeteria food is very healthy but also not very good. It's also overpriced.
- No on campus gym or recreational areas.
- Some projects are mind numbingly boring, and there are a lot of processes that are currently delegated to statisticians hat should be delegated to nonstatisticians.
- The pay is what you would expect for a non-profit.
- Initial vacation time is only 2 weeks. This is not competitive with the private sector for which 3 weeks is fairly standard.
- Vertical advancement is limited.
- The organizations efforts to implement new regulatory standards has created more bureaucracy, making it harder for people to do their jobs.
Advice to Management
Continue on the path you've set, but try a little harder to get feedback from specific groups on ways that their experience can be improved.
I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (More than 3 years)
Wonderful benefits, passionate staff, great work-life balance
Little room for upward mobility in my department
I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (More than a year)
Great culture, benefits, amazing people
Lack of career advancement opportunities
I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (More than a year)
Collaborative, communal, and friendly environment
Travel to and from can be difficult
I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center part-time (More than a year)
-Helps the community
-Top of the line scientists
-AWFUL pay. A dollar over minimum wage when most of us have graduated college? Please.
-No one ever gets back to you when you apply on their website, even as a current employee.
I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (Less than a year)
Ability to share ideas
Everyone is willing to help
Traffic in seattle
Better approach to onboard training
I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center part-time (More than a year)
Free access to amazing seminars and training opportunities. Beautiful campus, great facility.
Not a lot of perks, not even coffee where my lab was located.
Contributing to the research to prevent and cure cancer was personally very fulfilling. Most of my team members were great to work with.
Tight deadlines which require over time. It is a very stressful work environment. Low chance for upward mobility.
This will replace the current featured review for targeted profile. Are you sure you want to replace it?
Are you sure you want to remove this review from being featured for targeted profile?