Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Reviews

Updated 16 Jan 2020

3.8
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center President & Director Gary Gilliland (no image)
Gary Gilliland
Pros
  • "FHCRC provides a healthy work-life balance and laid-back academia culture(in 42 reviews)

• "Nice place to work, good benefits, a lot of opportunities for training(in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • "Private non profit, admin heavy(in 23 reviews)

• "Low pay with no opportunities for advancement(in 13 reviews)

1. "Research Assistant"

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Pros

I loved the environment and the division I worked in. Everyone was helpful and invested in me building my career. Great place for young researchers to start off at!

Cons

Hard to move outside of division. Everything is very very siloed.

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center2017-08-25
  2. "Positive Environment to work"

Current Employee - Information Technology in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great positive energy and Benefits

Cons

Projects get tripped up sometimes

Advice to Management

Fully staff teams instead of doing a skeleton crew.

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center2020-01-16
  3. "great people"

Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great colleagues to work with

Cons

nothing really, everyone works well together

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center2020-01-07

"A nice job if you don’t mind following a lot of rules"

Former Employee - Cancer Information Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Nice co-workers, meaningful work, good benefits, varied job responsibilities

Cons

Lots of rules to follow, management isn’t always direct in their communication, few opportunities for advancement

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center2019-12-10

"As a tech, vet the labs before joining"

Former Employee - Research Technician in Seattle, WA
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

Cutting edge and highly sophisticated research Admirable mission (To cure cancer) highly open and collaborative science (may vary depending on department)

Cons

The PI was highly abusive and had unreal expectations Was way to political for anything to get done No advancement opportunities for technicians

Advice to Management

Have the PIs take a bi-yearly refresher course on how to manage "real" people and not live their lives like robots and expect the same of their people

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center2019-12-27
  6. "Inspirational Work Place"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Front row seat to important and inspirational work. The campus is beautiful, fun and feels like a community. Access to amazing speakers and education happening on the campus. Interesting work. Lots of opportunities to move into different roles once you're in the Fred Hutch system.

Cons

Fred Hutch does not value non-scientific staff the way it should. The scientists are the rock stars, as they should be, however, administrators and other non-scientific staff make things happen and pave the way for the science to happen through fundraising, PR, operations management, and much more.

Advice to Management

Place more value on your non-scientific staff. Show them you know their worth. The science cannot happen without them.

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center2019-11-25
  7. "Animal technician quick view"

Current Employee - Animal Technician

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time

Pros

Relatively stable hours and yearly pay increases. Work independently often.

Cons

Limited opportunities to expand skills and transition to other positions within the company.

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center2019-12-05
  8. "Great atmosphere and shared Resources. Know your boss."

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Seattle, WA

Pros

Fred Hutch provides good health care and an on-site employee clinic. People work reasonable hours.

Cons

The salary is not thrilling and researcher salaries are not negotiable. Make sure to know your future boss and colleagues before accepting a position.

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center2019-11-11
  9. "Good experience to find out the ins and outs of a research lab"

Former Employee - Lab Aide in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center part-time for more than a year

Pros

Work/life balance, meaningful work, many extra resources for training.

Cons

Can be somewhat clique-ish. Lab members are friendly towards one another but, there are so many labs at FHCRC.

Advice to Management

Individuals need real guidance from management. We do real work and sincerely care.

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center2019-11-19

"Not For Career Technicians"

Current Employee - Research Technician II in Seattle, WA

Pros

Very interesting science Several excellent seminar series Exposure to cutting edge research Some nice employee events Good experience with cutting edge techniques

Cons

Disclaimer- Every lab is run independently so the PI's management style is different from lab to lab The lab I have been working in is a large lab (30-40 people) with a lot of projects going. Each post doc (5-6 post docs) works with their technicians pretty independently from the rest of the lab. This set up seems more similar to how an industry lab is structured to me. Also, it seems a very different structure from most other labs. That being said, there has been a large amount of turnover since I have been with the lab (almost a dozen people in a little over a year). The reasons why I will be leaving as well are: Centre wide compensation policy not being followed by the PI (no pay increases unless you threaten to leave for industry) No career development for technicians (you will not be promoted) Very intense days and long hours (pretty regular 50 hour weeks) Poor seating (putting people's "desks" in pretty unfortunate places) In general, the only reason to work at the Hutch as a technician is if you plan on getting experience before going into a PhD program, or if your significant other has a high paying career. Indeed, the lab is split in half by those two categories. The only technicians that have stayed much beyond 2 years have partners that work in tech and can support them with the very poor pay from the Center. You are largely wasting your time working here instead of industry if that is your ultimate goal.

Advice to Management

Don't allow PIs to do whatever they want with their employees just because they bring in a lot of grant money and put out high impact papers (make sure they follow the Center wide policies) Get serious about career development for technicians. It does not make sense for a technician (B.S./M.S. level employee) to stay at the center for more than a year or two. Especially with the ever increasing cost of living in Seattle. As it is, technicians I've worked with get their experience needed to get a job in industry or go to grad school and leave ASAP.

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center2019-11-17