Freddie Mac Director Reviews

Updated 22 May 2020

4.2
Freddie Mac CEO David Brickman
David Brickman
  1. "Great work life balance"

5.0
    Current Employee - Director in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great work life balance, and work contributes to providing affordability/stability to housing market.

Cons

Company is presently under conservatorship, future uncertain.

May 29, 2020HR Communications

Thank you for your feedback and for highlighting our flexible work arrangements and important housing mission. We’re proud of the team at Freddie Mac, and we’re continuously working to ensure that our business remains strong, stable and well-positioned for the future. Thank you again for your review and for your years of service to Freddie Mac.

2. "Great company but bureaucratic IT and Finance organizations"

Current Employee - Senior Director in McLean, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great new CEO, good mission, good benefits

Cons

IT and Finance are inefficient and bureacratic

April 21, 2020HR Communications

Thank you for your review and for highlighting our senior leadership and comprehensive benefits package at Freddie Mac. We also appreciate your feedback on our digital transformation. We are continuously refining our approach to support the company’s success and look forward to rolling out many exciting updates in the coming months. Thank you for your years of service and for your support of our important mission.

"Great People but be prepared for a higher level of politics"

Former Employee - Director of Operations
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time

Pros

Great People Management makes an effort to listen to employees

Cons

Corporate politics were at level 11

October 18, 2019HR Communications

Thank you for your review. We work hard to provide our employees more in return and appreciate your feedback. We wish you luck in your next endeavor.

"Good People - Bad management"

Former Employee - Director

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time

Pros

Nice co workers and benefits

Cons

poor leadership, too much internal politics

September 24, 2019HR Communications

Thank you for your feedback and highlighting our inclusive environment and comprehensive benefits as the total well-being of our employees is a priority. At all levels, it's important to continue to grow, that's why we offer manager training to our senior leaders so they can be at their best in managing and supporting their teams. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and wish you the best in your next endeavor.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Associate Director in McLean, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Company has been undergoing a cultural shift and technological modernization. - Leadership is streamlining processes. - Coming out of conservatorship will force a drive to be more competitive - Benefits are very good

Cons

- Opportunities to move up are rare - Coming out of conservatorship will present challenges

September 19, 2019HR Communications

Thank you for your review and letting us know that we’re on the right track. We’re continuously working to build a better Freddie Mac and reviews like these show us it’s working. If you're looking to advance, we encourage you to explore the comprehensive mix of online and in-person learning opportunities at Freddie Mac and speak with your manager about the next step in your career journey.

"Good place to work"

Former Employee - Director

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Focus on work life balance

Cons

Some mid level managers do not support the cultural change/employee engagement initiatives

August 12, 2019HR Communications

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Thank you for highlighting our focus on work-life balance as the total well-being of our employees is a priority for us. At all levels, it’s important to grow and that’s why we provide learning opportunities to our managers so that can be at their best in leading and supporting their teams.

7. "A lot of layers"

Former Employee - Director in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance. Solid benefits. Can move around to other areas of company

Cons

Can be bureaucratic and political.

July 3, 2019HR Communications

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We’re glad that you mentioned our benefits and work-life balance as we pride ourselves in offering industry-best benefits. We wish you luck in your next endeavor.

"29 Great Years and Counting"

5.0
    Current Employee - Director, Business Management in McLean, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work life balance; top notch benefits; support for personal development; diverse. I started as an Executive Secretary in January 1990 and am now a Business Management Director

Cons

Personal experience can be different based on division

April 17, 2019Content Strategist

We love hearing feedback like this and appreciate you sharing your great experience with us. Thank you for your years of service to Freddie Mac and our mission!

"It was a good run..."

Former Employee - Director in McLean, VA

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Freddie Mac can be a great place to work - you can move around the company and build your skills easily. Tons of very smart, very friendly people. The food is great, onsite doctor, fitness, etc. Lots of development opportunities to take advantage of... pay is very good. Exciting to be in the housing industry right now - so much going on! You could get to work on history making projects - like single security, etc.

Cons

As with many companies - it matters who your manager is. There are many lousy managers at Freddie Mac. And - because people are so nice at Freddie? The managers of the lousy managers are too nice to hold them accountable for being lousy managers. Also, the senior leadership teams in some of the divisions do not get along (turf wars). This creates difficulties for the people underneath them that really just want get the work done. There is a ton of bureaucracy... they keep trying to fix it - but, until they are ready to hold leaders accountable for the actual value whole teams are adding (and when they aren't adding value redeploy them to do something valuable) - people are going to continue to come up with redundant, over-engineered processes to validate their existence.

February 6, 2019Talent Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We work hard to make sure all employees feel heard and take the feedback provided seriously.

"Passive Aggressive environment"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Director in McLean, VA

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay & benefits. Some really great people who are not utilized to their fullest extent

Cons

- very little transparency from senior management - extremely passive-aggressive environment - they wait until after the meeting where they agreed to disagree, but won't tell you directly across all 4 divisions. - weak leadership in risk management - too many senior management with individual goals that interfere with overall objectives.

November 30, 2018Talent Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. At all levels, it's important to continue to grow, that's why we offer executive coaching to our senior leaders so they can be at their best.

Found 79 reviews