Freddie Mac Director Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Donald H. Layton
  1. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Director

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Focus on work life balance

Cons

Some mid level managers do not support the cultural change/employee engagement initiatives

Freddie Mac2019-07-18
  2. "A lot of layers"

Former Employee - Director in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance. Solid benefits. Can move around to other areas of company

Cons

Can be bureaucratic and political.

Freddie Mac2019-06-23

July 3, 2019HR Communications

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We’re glad that you mentioned our benefits and work-life balance as we pride ourselves in offering industry-best benefits. We wish you luck in your next endeavor.

3. "29 Great Years and Counting"

Current Employee - Director, Business Management in McLean, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work life balance; top notch benefits; support for personal development; diverse. I started as an Executive Secretary in January 1990 and am now a Business Management Director

Cons

Personal experience can be different based on division

Freddie Mac2019-04-08

April 17, 2019Content Strategist

We love hearing feedback like this and appreciate you sharing your great experience with us. Thank you for your years of service to Freddie Mac and our mission!

"It was a good run..."

Former Employee - Director in McLean, VA

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Freddie Mac can be a great place to work - you can move around the company and build your skills easily. Tons of very smart, very friendly people. The food is great, onsite doctor, fitness, etc. Lots of development opportunities to take advantage of... pay is very good. Exciting to be in the housing industry right now - so much going on! You could get to work on history making projects - like single security, etc.

Cons

As with many companies - it matters who your manager is. There are many lousy managers at Freddie Mac. And - because people are so nice at Freddie? The managers of the lousy managers are too nice to hold them accountable for being lousy managers. Also, the senior leadership teams in some of the divisions do not get along (turf wars). This creates difficulties for the people underneath them that really just want get...

Advice to Management

Listen to your people!! If you are going to do the employee surveys - then do something with the results. Don't just say you care about the results. I watched you get upset about them for the first month after they come out for 11 years. You set up committees and scheduled a few meetings about the results. That's it. Employees tell you every survey - "Help us, please! Our leader is horrible and we can't deal with...

Freddie Mac2019-01-04

February 6, 2019Talent Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We work hard to make sure all employees feel heard and take the feedback provided seriously.

"Passive Aggressive environment"

Former Employee - Senior Director in McLean, VA

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay & benefits. Some really great people who are not utilized to their fullest extent

Cons

- very little transparency from senior management - extremely passive-aggressive environment - they wait until after the meeting where they agreed to disagree, but won't tell you directly across all 4 divisions. - weak leadership in risk management - too many senior management with individual goals that interfere with overall objectives.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach and put political aspirations aside and do what is right for the company and the economy.

Freddie Mac2018-11-19

November 30, 2018Talent Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. At all levels, it's important to continue to grow, that's why we offer executive coaching to our senior leaders so they can be at their best.

"Director"

Current Employee - Senior Director in McLean, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A great environment to work.

Cons

The traffic in Tysons Corner.

Freddie Mac2018-09-06

September 27, 2018Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review and letting us know that we’re on the right track. We encourage employees to check out our commuter benefits program to possibly improve one’s commute.

"Former Director, not empowered."

Former Employee - Director in McLean, VA

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart people all work in a very collaborative environment...at the junior level.

Cons

Directors and managers are expected to execute, without instruction, guidance or feedback. Long-time, career employees excel. Outside hires sink under the weight of unmet expectations. And benefits disappoint.

Advice to Management

Address the concerns of directors and managers. Start putting people first, including senior people.

Freddie Mac2018-09-11

October 3, 2018Talent Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We read all our reviews and take them seriously. We wish you success in your next role.

8. "Director"

Current Employee - Director in McLean, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

Too much bureaucracy and overhead

Freddie Mac2018-05-14

"Everyday is a winding road"

Current Employee - IT Director in McLean, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting work, many good people, good training opportunities. Nice cafeteria with great breakfast options and low cost. Generous matching of your volunteer contributions to any recognized charity.

Cons

Siloed thinking is common. Frequent reorganizations with poor communication. Shuffle of poor performers to other groups rather than deal with the actual issues.

Advice to Management

Lack of communication results in demoralized staff and allows the rumor mill to run rampant.

Freddie Mac2018-02-25

"Leadership Quandary"

Current Employee - Senior Director in McLean, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. convenient location 2. nice benefits 3. past few years IT and business have seen dramatic transformations and introductions of very compelling products over cutting edge infrastructure

Cons

Recent leadership changes has put the top tier team in a state of quandary and the company is about to become the heaven for pricey consultants churning out mindless decks all over again while the team will be running like headless chickens.

Advice to Management

prioritize and communicate clearly. Don't waste time seeking advice from external consultants what to do when the journey is known and we are already on course.

Freddie Mac2017-11-16