Freddie Mac Reviews

Updated 16 May 2021

4.1
Freddie Mac Interim CEO Mark Grier
Mark Grier
Pros
  • "Good mentorship and work/life balance(in 233 reviews)

• "Great benefits, a lot of like minded and smart coworkers that really help to ensure your success(in 85 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Still under government conservatorship which brings in some restrictions comany sponsored events(in 56 reviews)

• "Some folks in senior management are REALLY (x2) bad and that affects the culture of the division(in 33 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years
      Featured Review

Great place to gain experience and build career

26 Feb 2021 - Internal Audit Quantitative Analytics Manager in McLean, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Freddie and Internal Audit have great benefits and wonderful people to work with. There are many opportunities for growth within the division and within the company.

Cons

It either fits or doesn’t. Those who don’t like it leave pretty quickly. Otherwise people stay a long time.

1 person found this review helpful

HR Communications

Thank you for your review and for highlighting our many opportunities and paths for career growth and development. We’re glad to hear you’ve enjoyed your experience on our Internal Audit team, and we’re glad to have you at Freddie Mac!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Best

13 Jan 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Hyderābād
      Business Outlook

Pros

Best of best in the industry

Cons

Not found any thing else

HR Communications

Thank you for your positive feedback and for sharing your experience with us. We're lucky to have you on our team.

3. 3.0

A Hot Mess of IT Tech Debt and Getting Worse

21 Feb 2021 - Senior Software Developer in McLean, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Cafeteria is/was great. Can be a good place to spend 2-3 years learning a technology to advance your career as long as you leave before you stagnate.

Cons

Extremely byzantine bureaucratic IT systems that make everyone's job harder (except for those whose job it is to manage those systems). Management only pays lip service to fixing any of it. Classic case of "Hairball Architecture" despite massive Enterprise Architecture team whose job you would think is to prevent that.

8 people found this review helpful

HR Communications

Thank you for your review. We take all feedback seriously and appreciate you taking the time to provide it.

4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Resume Builder But Depends On Where You End Up

5 Apr 2021 - Business Analyst in McLean, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great name for the resume - McLean campus is large and beautiful - Lots of smart people to work with - Have access to in-house IT support center, fitness center, and wellness center - Subsidized cafeterias and convenience stores - Pay was good though college hires definitely were low-balled - Great benefits

Cons

- Most teams tend to be micromanaged by their managers - Most managers were against any sort of remote work in general - Demographic is generally older; people who have worked together for years tend to form cliques that exclude the younger/newer employees - If you're established enough, you could probably coast your way to retirement - Never saw promotions; most people move up by applying internally to other positions - Many people with credentials/certifications are not in management positions - Many people with credentials/certifications SHOULD NOT be in management positions (possibly favoritism) - Because of how big teams/divisions can be, you can feel expendable - Was told there will be no more hiring of contractors, but a lot were hired right after and a new parking garage was build just for contractors (which is a nice gesture - not mad about that) - Traffic to the McLean office is TERRIBLE

3 people found this review helpful

5. 5.0
      Current Employee

2nd year associate

16 May 2021 - Ops Change Management Associate in McLean, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

good compensation package . worklife balance

Cons

-bureaucracy -lack of lateral opportunities

6. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good place

14 May 2021 - Risk Manager in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great ceo (david) great benefits

Cons

None, maybe more work on DEI

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Freddie Mac

11 May 2021 - Project Manager in McLean, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Over 20 years, with all companies has it's positives and negatives. The good definitely outweighs the bad, gave me a wonderful life, great advancement and pay, supported my career path, and worked (mostly) with good professional folks.

Cons

Management often pushes employees to deliver to fit their performance goals, leads to bad decisions, poor quality, and fault for the fallout lies with the project team. A get it done or else mentality. This is an exception to normal, but it does occur more frequently than it should

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Working at Freddie

10 May 2021 - IT Generalist I in McLean, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment and teams, a great organization to work for and grow

Cons

There are no cons at the moment

9. 3.0

Agile is Fragile and so is Management

4 May 2021 - Software Developer in McLean, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great food and facilities (gym included), great pandemic response, laid back atmosphere, tuition reimbursement, good benefits, decent pay, they hire good, smart people at non-management positions

Cons

1. Most managers manage upward (aka always trying to impress/appease higher-ups). That's not to say they don't care about their own employees, but most of the time, any pressure from above trickles downward. 2. Most business personnel and management don't seem to understand the Agile methodology, using it to excuse bad planning, poor foresight and requirements and even whole pieces of functionality changing at an alarming rate based on feedback from above. 3. Product analysts and owners are not trained properly in how to write proper requirements or how to perform real data analysis. I was told this by multiple product analysts who left the company or went to other parts of the company, and it really shows. 4. More often than not, developers are asked to do everything. Anything that requires actual troubleshooting or problem solving within a product team is passed off to developers. As a developer, you will deal with QA testers, product staff, business and management whining about environments that are down at any/all hours like helpless children. After several months/years, it does grate on you. 5. Developers receive a ton of blame for things that are out of their control. For example, if requirements are not fleshed out/wrong, it is because the developer did not bring it up in the grooming session (before they actually analyzed the requirement). If an environment goes down (which its IT, it happens sometimes) and someone can't meet a sprint goal or deadline because of it, the development team is blamed. 6. So much legacy work. I'm on a modern delivery team, yet my management has told me that knowing the legacy Weblogic systems gives me more job security than the Spring Boot API I am working on. 7. The product ownership/business will not take responsibility for bad planning or lack of foresight. It is our job as the development team to adapt on the fly even if it requires duplicate work, weekend work and late hours to complete the sprint goals. 8. If we do not complete our work for the sprint for whatever reason, it is called out as problematic, but they will do it in a passive aggressive way. 9. Hard work being left out of product demos because "the business wouldn't be interested in that," so why are we doing it? 10. The scrum master role has no power to influence anything at this company. You are given a crown from Burger King, and you are told to make sure the sprint goals are met with little/no support. 11. Most developers get burnt out due to lack of interest, too many (non-paid if you're Professional or above) overtime hours and trying to please higher ups that will turn on you in an instant for something like time entry (even though you're a salaried employee). 12. Some technology is old. Too many legacy apps still, but they are working on it. 13. Blame/shame culture surrounding administrative tasks or not completing work on time for whatever reason.

3 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0

Good company to work

16 May 2021 - Senior lead solution architect in McLean, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Long term stable job and good compensation.

Cons

Too much process and bureaucracy just any large organization.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,191 Reviews