Freddie Mac Senior Director Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Freddie Mac CEO Donald H. Layton
Donald H. Layton

"Passive Aggressive environment"

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay & benefits. Some really great people who are not utilized to their fullest extent

Cons

- very little transparency from senior management - extremely passive-aggressive environment - they wait until after the meeting where they agreed to disagree, but won't tell you directly across all 4 divisions. - weak leadership in risk management - too many senior management with individual goals that interfere with overall objectives.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach and put political aspirations aside and do what is right for the company and the economy.

Freddie Mac2018-11-19

Freddie Mac Response

November 30, 2018Talent Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. At all levels, it's important to continue to grow, that's why we offer executive coaching to our senior leaders so they can be at their best.

"Director"

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A great environment to work.

Cons

The traffic in Tysons Corner.

Freddie Mac2018-09-06

Freddie Mac Response

September 27, 2018Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review and letting us know that we’re on the right track. We encourage employees to check out our commuter benefits program to possibly improve one’s commute.

"Leadership Quandary"

Current Employee - Senior Director in McLean, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. convenient location 2. nice benefits 3. past few years IT and business have seen dramatic transformations and introductions of very compelling products over cutting edge infrastructure

Cons

Recent leadership changes has put the top tier team in a state of quandary and the company is about to become the heaven for pricey consultants churning out mindless decks all over again while the team will be running like headless chickens.

Advice to Management

prioritize and communicate clearly. Don't waste time seeking advice from external consultants what to do when the journey is known and we are already on course.

Freddie Mac2017-11-16
  4. "Freddie Mac from the past to the future"

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Large firm with many opportunities, everything and anything mortgage related. If you are in the early stages of your career, you can migrate to many openings in the company.

Cons

Significantly changing environment and strict oversight by FHFA. The higher up in your career, the less opportunities there are to advance, as many long timers hold their roles.

Advice to Management

Continue staying creative to advance the firm into the future and prepare for multiple end point potential options that FHFA might direct.

Freddie Mac2016-09-28

"Correcting review "All about saving money ...""

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company still provides matching contributions to the 401(k) plan -- up to 6% of comp, subject to IRS limits. They provide a temporary contribution to offset the termination of the pension plan (but it's not nearly high enough to make up for the loss of future years of service under the pension plan). Senior management's comp is governed by law and the FHFA -- they are not "fatcat executives" -- at least not when...

Cons

In the past few years, Freddie Mac has cut employees and benefits. They terminated the pension plan. They reduced the severance plan. Yes, they got rid of free soda. Compensation is stagnant (raises of 1% - 2% per year). They eliminated matching contributions for employee's charitable contributions. They have increased the employee's share of the cost of health insurance premiums. Notwithstanding their promotion...

Advice to Management

Despite wanting to be a "great" company, senior executives manage towards mediocrity when it comes to compensation and benefits. If the company wants to be like Google, it needs to provide comp and benefits like Google, not the "midpoint of the comparator group of similar financial services companies" (HR double speak) that they always say they look at when determining comp and benefits.

Freddie Mac2014-08-22
  6. "Challenging and Very Bureaucratic"

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation, training, teamwork within departments

Cons

Infighting between departments, sudden downsizing

Advice to Management

Focus on employees and not what FHFA and congress tells you

Freddie Mac2014-05-13

"A roller coaster ride with some of the brightest people you will ever meet"

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Challenging time in housing Opportunities to shape the future of housing finance Brilliant people Most diverse work force I have ever seen Great benefits Competitive in salary 40 percent of time can be spent telecommuting in many jobs

Cons

The future of housing finance is up for debate. The great unknown is whether Freddie Mac will be around to experience it.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating to employees about the nature of change.

Freddie Mac2013-12-11

"Degrading"

Former Employee - Senior Director in

I worked at Freddie Mac

Pros

Decent salaries and employee benefits

Cons

Poisoinous environment and highly bureaucratic. Silos are permitted to the detriment of the organization.

Freddie Mac2011-01-05

"The appearance of progress is more important than actual progress."

I have been working at Freddie Mac

Pros

I'm fairly compensated for the work that I do, and the benefits package is in some ways better than average. The people that I work with are nice people.

Cons

Senior management keeps saying that it wants the company to become more efficient and more effective, yet continues to ignore the management practices that would do just that. The company has a strong culture of "group think" masquerading as "consensus". Every attempt at promoting change is met with a demand by management that dozens of stakeholders are included in the decision-making, rather than permitting subject...

Advice to Management

Stop insisting on a "kumbaya" every time a decision needs to be taken or a process change is contemplated. Allow people who are recognized experts in that field or discipline to structure solutions, and then MANDATE usage.

Freddie Mac2010-09-06
  10. "Freddie Mac is still an excellent Washington Metropolian area employer"

I have been working at Freddie Mac

Pros

Extremely talent staff (many former mgmt consulting and Wall Street), challenging problems, and pleasant environment

Cons

Politically charged environment, but new management may break these habits

Advice to Management

Nothing they don't already know...

Freddie Mac2009-10-16