GQR Global Markets Employee Reviews about "earning potential"

Updated 10 Dec 2020

3.9
GQR Global Markets CEO & Managing Director Steven Talbot (no image)
Steven Talbot
Pros
  • "GQR is an elite business that allows individuals to grow in their career at a quick pace(in 43 reviews)

• "Impressive commission structure with high earning potential(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours - this isn't a 9-5 which is normal in the industry(in 42 reviews)

• "zero work life balance: hours are 8-7 but really, if you leave at 7, you're going to have a problem(in 12 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "earning potential"

Return to all Reviews

"Great People"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company has an excellent culture and employs great people. Learning & Development team are excellent and passionate about what they do. Earning Potential is huge.

Cons

Very typical for the industry, long hours, very target driven, fairly high pressure environment.

"College Grads: Stay away"

1.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Senior Associate

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time

Pros

Worked here for 2 years. There are two pros to this company/job: 1. You pick up sales skills that are somewhat transferrable. Better to start in another sales job though, there are SO many sales jobs out there at better companies. GQR's "high earning potential fresh out of college" pitch can be translated to "we give commission for deals, just like any other sales job." You can find uncapped commission structure in other firms/industries, making more money while supported by real professionals, and be happier doing it. 2. The people are fun.

Cons

This company survives by enticing fresh college grads to join them, and spits them out a few months in. "Hire 15 and hope 3 of them make us enough money to keep them around" is their motto. I've literally heard management say "we need to make the interview process hard so that the candidates feel like they're earning something" Do not be fooled by their cult of personality. They create an environment in which you need to live and breathe their culture, and if you're not successful, you're apparently unmotivated and unambitious. So many cases of stockholm syndrome at this firm. If you join GQR as a fresh grad, you haven't done your research into jobs/opportunities, and you'll find out how much better you could've done. This place is a haven for frat boys and party girls who didn't amount to much during college. If you're interviewing here, you're probably scrambling for jobs senior year. Even if this is the only place that gives you an offer, don't take it. Better to find an entry level job in an industry you want a few months after graduation than to start here. I made the mistake of joining, and it's hard to leave once you have bills. It's hard to find a job while working here, since you're working 10-12 hours a day, and your linkedin is monitored by management since you're using linkedin daily. Please do your research and help your career/life by starting anywhere else.

"Challenging but rewarding"

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Getting hands-on experience meeting and working with industry leaders - High earning potential fresh out of college - Learn by doing type of environment - A good place to set goals and work toward achieving them -Work with outgoing people who are very knowledgable in their space

Cons

-Very target oriented - High performance environment so a lot is expected of individuals

November 25, 2019Talent Acquisition

Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your candid review! We agree with you that GQR is a great work environment to set goals and work hard at achieving them, as part of our culture code's 3 AAA's, two being accountability and ambition. We wish you continued success at GQR and thank you for taking the time to provide us your review.

"Tough, but rewarding."

Current Employee - Senior Associate in London, England

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time for more than a year

Pros

You have complete control over your business. This comes with huge challenges but by the time you build your business you will learnt 10x what you will learn anywhere else. Huge earning potential. Intelligent and ambitious individuals that are always willing to teach and support 1:1 relationship with Directors Jetsets to global offices and incentives like an all expenses paid trip to Vietnam If you make it through here, you will excel anywhere else in a recruitment capacity.

Cons

Long hours but it takes what it takes to build your business. Imagine it as your own start-up. Recruitment has a high turn over. We’ve lost some good contributors to the business but they had been with the business for 3 / 4 years. If you don’t investigate the space you are targeting right you can shoot yourself in the foot. Some people come in with huge ambitions to build out a new market (no one will stop you) and it falls flat on it’s face. Do your homework or join an existing team with an existing market, then spin out to a new market.

Continue reading

"Highly Challenging, Yet Really Rewarding."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Earning potential like no other - Young professionals earning huge numbers. 2. Huge learning opportunities - from classroom to coaching, from learning apps to Harvard Business School courses. 3. Significant opportunity to progress into leadership, in a few short years. 4. Immense travel opportunities - Amazon, Vietnam, Croatia & Jet Sets. 5. Great culture - all the team hang out almost every weekend, as well as during the week.

Cons

1. Pressure - no gaps to slip through here. They will always be on your case if you're underperforming. 2. Growth pains - getting things done can be laborious because the company is growing quickly and figuring out some things as they go along. 3. Turbulence - live and die by the sword. Celebrate the good times like no other firms i've worked for, yet pressure dials when you go through a 'sales storm'.

November 6, 2019Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review. Happy you pointed out our new external learning program that has courses from Harvard Business School as well as our internal learning platform + more! The earning potential here at GQR is indeed very high and our progression plans are reachable in a few short years. Also, as you stated, "growth pains," we are growing fast and looking to keep continuing to increase headcount. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a candid review. We wish you continued success at GQR!

"Good to Bad - Refusal to Pay Commissions - Legal Cases Pending"

2.0
    Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time

Pros

High Earning Potential, Intelligent People, Dog Friendly

Cons

After leaving the company they refused to pay over $10,000 in earned commissions. After all the money you bring in for the company, you would think they would do not only what's right but what they're legally obliged to do. They have multiple Legal cases pending because of this.

November 19, 2019Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the candid review. Regarding earned commissions, GQR continues to hold itself to the highest level of compliance across all of our offices and operations. If you have further questions, we encourage you to please contact our internal Legal team >> https://www.gqrgm.com/people?division=Mission\%20Control&specialism=Legal.

"Hard work, but worth it"

Current Employee - Associate Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time

Pros

-transparent, open business model -amazing investment in every individual's career and development -access to top tools and platforms to aid your capabilities -learning & development team and trainers who genuinely help you learn from scratch, or offer career development at a more experienced level -young, fun and ambitious culture -fantastic earning potential -exposure to industry experts, and world-class clients -surrounded by like-minded people who will push you and challenge you to be the best you can be -meritocratic environment -quick progression if you work hard -innovative and technology led platforms -wider business involvement in AI and machine learning

Cons

-it is hard work, and it can take a few months to see the fruits of your labor (i.e. commission checks) -inevitable growing pains as with any "start up" that has grown so quickly

August 19, 2019Talent Acquisition

"A great career path"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Sydney

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time for more than a year

Pros

- In depth training program with advanced training as you progress through your career - Impressive commission structure with high earning potential - Clear promotion pathway - Very transparent work environment - A lot of career growth potential

Cons

- Long hours when you begin, especially if you get to build a market from scratch

June 20, 2019Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for your review! We truly appreciate your honesty and the time it took to share your authentic experience. We wish you continued success at GQR!

"Excellent culture, compensation and leadership"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Sydney

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time for more than a year

Pros

- unfettered access to entire global leadership team - unlimited earning potential - excellent culture and great people (globally) - international work and reward opportunities - clear and meritocratic promotion path - company performance and short/long term plan shared with employees - good soft benefits (weekly incentives, office food, office break area with ping pong, xbox etc.)

Cons

- sometimes long hours (whilst not on target)

January 24, 2019Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback! We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience here and our benefits package.

"The good and the bad"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time for more than a year

Pros

High earning potential, the chance to learn from some very good recruiters, international offices

Cons

Lots of office and company politics, aggressive culture, upper management frequently disconnected from other employees, poor benefits

February 27, 2019Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a candid review. We love hearing that you are taking advantage of our high earning potential platform and have learned from some of our recruiters. We value and consider all feedback and will continue to find ways to improve. Regarding your constructive feedback, we felt it necessary to address your specific concerns below. Benefits: GQR has developed a comprehensive set of employee benefit programs to further supplement our employees’ regular wages. These programs vary across our global locations, but in general encompass: paid holidays, paid time off (PTO/vacation), paid sick leave, and general wellness programs. Again, we thank you for your feedback and hope that we have provided some clarity on our culture and methodologies.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 22 English Reviews