GQR Global Markets Employee Reviews about "gqr"

Updated 15 Dec 2020

3.9
GQR Global Markets CEO & Managing Director Steven Talbot (no image)
Steven Talbot
Pros
  • "GQR is an elite business that allows individuals to grow in their career at a quick pace(in 43 reviews)

• "Impressive commission structure with high earning potential(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours - this isn't a 9-5 which is normal in the industry(in 42 reviews)

• "zero work life balance: hours are 8-7 but really, if you leave at 7, you're going to have a problem(in 12 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "gqr"

Return to all Reviews

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Associate Vice President in Marina del Rey, CA

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time for more than a year

Pros

-GQR is an elite business that allows individuals to grow in their career at a quick pace -Excellent commission structure to make a substantial earning -Opportunity to travel domestic and international -Family orientated team

Cons

-Needs better automated systems - currently working on this

December 22, 2020Talent Acquisition

Dear reviewer, thank you for sharing your experience with the Glassdoor platform, we certainly agree with you that GQR is an elite business and allows those to fast-track their career. As you stated, we are/have been investing in systems and processes to enhance the recruiter experience. Thank you again for your feedback!

"It was all fine"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marina del Rey, CA

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I don’t know what to categorize as a pro/con. During the time I was employed there I refused to write a review. After all, mama said if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it at all. Well, it’s been 6 months since I’ve parted ways with GQR and I’ve had ample time to see the fruits of my labor. And like most things, hindsight is 20/20 The role was not sold to me truthfully, there can definitely be less confetti decoration around the 6-figure income potential and more truthful detail of what you need to sacrifice to get there. Set realistic expectations for the job. Sales is not meant for everyone. GQR is not meant for everyone and it really shouldn’t be. So sell it that way too. The company challenges who you are, what you’re capable of, and provides you a platform to discover it for yourself. They will force you to push your boundaries, and while it may be hell in the moment, 2 years with GQR was equivalent to 6 years at any other sales position. You are thrown in the waters and told to swim, and if you’ve got a chip on your shoulder or something to prove, truth is you’ll find the power in yourself to actually swim. Most fresh college grads won’t survive. Grit seems to be scarce nowadays. If you want a cushy job, this isn’t it. You need to put in the work to reap the benefits. You need to put the extra hours in for little pay to learn and master the skill. Listen, Ask questions, understand and trust the process. They have 3-months of structured training from Learning & Development. No one asked me to work 6am to 10pm during training without overtime pay, but it’s your own self-determination and your own input that’ll shape your progress here. Yes its a lot of pressure and it was not easy. But by the end of year 1, I was top-ranked in LA through to my departure. It gets easier, but you have to be patient, trust the process, and put in the work. You eat what you kill. Uncapped commission and minimum base. Each promotion raises those rates. If you take your foot off the gas pedal, expect to see a huge dip in your commissions and progression. Expect to work hard for little pay, but keep your mind on the bigger picture (whatever that may be for you, money, sales, communication skills etc). Commission structure is well above industry average. Work Life Balance...You’ll find time for the things you love somehow. It’s work hard and play hard here. Your direct manager will be the making or breaking of your success. Take advantage of them. As you build your skillset and track record, Leadership will always notice. My manager was more than I could have hoped. Open-minded, clear, personable and valued my inputs, ideas, and criticisms. I think most people fall into the trap of hiding themselves in front of their managers. I find being honest and transparent will always work to your advantage here. Learning & Development and your manager will be your biggest supporter and advocate as you master the skill. There have been infinite improvements to this team and they have your back. It’s an open door policy everywhere, VPs or associate, everyone is approachable, whether they’re in your office or halfway across the world. Collaboration is encouraged, asking questions is encouraged, there is no one right way and the company encourages using each other as resources for success. Meritocracy - again, it’s not for everyone. When you’re in training, you’ll be monitored like a hawk. Are you hitting your targets? Are you showing progress? Are you coachable? That tight leash loosens the more successful you are closing deals and making money. Then you have all the autonomy. Career progression is also based on merit. You get promoted based on your billings. As you move up the ranks, you are trained in Leadership, your position becomes more visible and you are presented with different options of how you want to influence the company. Independent biller and rainmaker? Great. Want to build a team? Great. Want to be business facing? Great. They have implemented ways to compliment the employee’s personalities and interests. They see the individual value you bring to the table and they want to align it with your own career interests. You have autonomy and high levels of responsibility here. Access to Leadership was limited when your at the bottom ranks. Some might see that as a con, but I think if you’re at the bottom ranks, your focus shouldn’t be “be best friends with the CEO”. But leadership can be more tangible to the junior ranks. There can be more effort here to influence at all levels. Culture is competitive or “sweatshop”. You’re surrounded by overachievers who will pressure you to succeed. Whether thats a positive or negative is biased to your own mindset. Use it as fuel or crumble. GQR is not meant for everyone & that should not change. This team is comprised of over achievers, so the standards of performance should be no less than excellent. It’s a needle-in-a-haystack search when you’re looking at new grads, but hey, this is a specialized recruiting firm. They know what they’re doing. Specialization - If you have an interest into an industry, this is a phenomenal way to become an expert in it and thrive. You get to mingle and network with high profile individuals in your field and being exposed to these minds is a pro in itself. The connections you make within the company and your clients will carry on through your lifetime. What I admire most about GQR is their innovative and ever-evolving state of being. Most companies will take your opinion and suggestions and throw it in the trash. GQR has always proven that they are listen and they are moving to make improvements, they care for their people and will support them. Companies that move forward or backwards are better than companies who are stagnant. GQR is always innovating, always improving, and always challenging the status quo. There will always be people who complain of the hours, the low pay, or whatever it is. But truth is, if you’re fresh out of college and you have the desire to make it on your own. GQR will give you every resource and opportunity to prove yourself. And your surrounded by fun and real people through it. Hindsight is 20/20. GQR was the right choice. The skills I’ve acquired during my time here are immeasurable and valuable. Forever grateful to my manager and L&D. The choice is yours. Make it worth your while.

Cons

401k should be matched Keep improving health and insurance benefits. Keep attracting diverse talent. There really has to be a better way for finance to keep track of billings and payouts.

Continue reading

"Honesty From A Current Employee"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Firstly, the reason I am writing this is because I am working from home (as we all are right now..) and I had a notification come up that someone has posted a review yesterday. I took a look at some of our positive reviews, but was pretty ashamed by a select few who have decided to use this platform as a way to bully a firm that took a chance on them in the first place and hired them. When you order food from a restaurant, it is known that you are much more likely to write a review about your experience if you had a negative experience - this is just human nature which is fine, but I think this is also the reason why I am writing this review - people who are currently having a great time at GQR don't naturally think to go onto Glassdoor and rave about it, as they are just living in the moment and enjoying work, but these negative reviews have forced me to this. So, pros of working here. Firstly, I have visited every single one of our offices since being here., some multiple times. (NYC, London, Los Angeles, Austin, Sydney). It is actually encouraged by management to do this, as we are such a collaborative business that they want us to integrate ourselves into each office, rather than being stuck to one region. As a result of this, I have made new friends, and seen some amazing places in my career already. On top of our offices, I have also visited the likes of wider Europe for skiing (Switzerland mostly), New Orleans, Atlanta, as well as Peru. They have paid for all of this, and have allowed me to live my life whilst also working. My market. I know a lot of people in recruitment, but hands down when I discuss the market I work in and the people I interact with in the industry on a day-to-day basis, it is clear I have (by far) the most interesting and rewarding job out of everyone. It is ridiculous to think that I am warranting 100k+ fee sizes for my service individually, from some of the worlds most impressive companies. I never thought I would be as proud as I am to tell people what I do and the impact I have on peoples lives. Comp. I have been looked after so well. Once again, among my peers and friends, I am earning so much more than anyone else and it is such an empowering feeling knowing that yes you work really hard, but there is a reward for your hard work. People - I don't think there is any other recruitment firm of our size that generates the amount of $/£1,000,000 billers. I don't want to be cuddled every morning when I come into work, being supported even though I am not pushing myself to my limits to become the very best I can be. When I see people earning stupendous amounts of money, it is a huge driving factor in why I turn up to work everyday. Fortunately, our highest performers are probably some of the most humble people in the organization. They are willing to help others develop, and provide a platform for graduates to come in and have a better opportunity than those before them.

Cons

Every firm has it's Cons, and it is the reason I didn't give GQR 5 Stars. I work harder than my friends. That doesn't necessarily mean I work longer hours, but I certainly work harder. I could never go and do a 9-5 job after this one, as I would honestly feel like I am cheating the company out of pocket. You are taught here to leave everything on the field and give it your all, which is why people are able to see their true potential. Standards - there are high standards. This for me was certainly a motivator when I joined as a graduate, but now it is certainly playing on my mind as everyone is always getting better and you need to keep up with the ever heightening bar expectation bar.

December 22, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your honest review/feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at GQR and for those viewing this to understand a peak into working here. We certainly agree with you that standards are high, and that is why we have plenty of resources, comprehensive learning and development training, and many more platforms to ensure our employees succeed, given their ambition and accountability.

4. COVID-19

"A company that cares about its people"

Current Employee - Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

While other companies large and small laid-off tons of employees in an attempt to save money for the owners, shareholders, and other executives; GQR grew and launched new divisions during this pandemic. This resulted in some record-setting months and a more devoted workforce.

Cons

If it were easy everyone would do it; GQR has high expectations and it shows in the results. GQR isn't a place for excuses and you can't blame poor performance on external factors, it is up to you to find ways to succeed with the platform we have.

November 4, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review. You are right that GQR is not for everyone, but if you have an ambitious mindset and follow GQR's leading path for success it is a great match. We certainly agree that COVID-19 actually resulted in record-setting months and a more devoted workforce.

5. "Very happy working at GQR, plan to spend my whole career here!"

Current Employee - EVP

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time

Pros

An amazingly talented and aspirational group of people who genuinely care so much about their success and the success of their peers. I genuinely enjoy being part of the GQR family and going to work every day. The firm hugely values innovation is ahead of the curve in so many ways compared with the rest of the market.

Cons

Recruitment and GQR are not for everyone. The industry itself is extremely hard to break into and get up and running in. GQR has much higher standards at all experience levels than any recruitment firm I have been exposed to. The firm is extremely ambitious and full of ambitious people. Some of the biggest top billers in the industry have joined and done exceptionally well (myself included)- largely due to surrounding yourself with other like-minded people. This is not for everyone though, I think a lot of people join us thinking they are ambitious, hard-working, and with a "do and improve" mindset but soon realize that they don't really and those people never work out. What I find funny about reading some of these negative reviews is that you really have no one to blame but yourself if you do not succeed at GQR, you get a tremendous amount of support from management and learning and development and all the tools needed to do the job. The firm is extremely open-minded and proactively seeks feedback constantly. You are given every opportunity to succeed here.

May 28, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback! We certainly agree that recruitment and GQR are not for everyone. But it's people like you that truly embody GQR's culture code, aspirations, and dedication to succeed and be apart of the GQR family. We wish you continued success at GQR! Thank you for all of your hard work.

"Good Culture with Poor Back Office"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time for more than a year

Pros

At GQR you will develop the soft skills necessary to rise to the top in just about nay industry, and meet like minded and driven individuals that are usually great people. There are usually some fun office incentives, and it can be a really good environment to work in.

Cons

GQR encourages its employees to be "money motivated" but does not hesitate to mess around with your money in the back office. Earning statements are confusing to review, come out the day you are paid so any miscalculations usually can't be dealt with on that check and at times I felt like GQR was being dishonest when it came to how much work I had done vs how much commission I was earning. GQR also has a habit of making any legal documents intentionally vague or overly complicated which in my opinion is used to convince employees to sign poorly balanced employment contracts

April 16, 2020Talent Acquisition

Dear Reviewer, We certainly agree with you that throughout your time at GQR you will collaborate with likeminded, driven individuals globally that share our culture code (3 A's: Ambition, Accountability and Adventure). We are glad to hear that you enjoyed office activities and our global office environments. We are sorry to hear that you had a poor experience with the back office team. If you feel feel you have further questions, we encourage you to please contact one of our back office team. https://www.gqrgm.com/people?division=Mission%20Control

"Reality vs Expectations"

Former Employee - Associate Vice President in Austin, TX

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time for more than a year

Pros

GQR is a very ambitious business that has a lot of potential for high-performers. Total Compensation Rate if you are a $400k+ biller is unbelievable! The business is going through lots of internal investment and is making strategic decisions to accelerate growth. That means new tools, investment in your career, and opportunities are regularly being created. Very smart individuals in the leadership team in NY & CA that are inspiring and will challenge you always to be improving.

Cons

The reality of my experience did not live up to expectations due to a combination of growing pains and direction of the Austin office specifically. Just in Austin, turnover was at least 15 people (more than half) in my time there, including the Office Head and other members of the Leadership team. Everything is looked through the lens of growth potential and is turned into a KPI, process or model which you need to fit in. This can feel restricting, pressured, and that you are dispensable when decisions are made about your livelihood without compassion. It can very quickly become an environment where you do not enjoy going to work. Threshold is not explained very well and it feels like the business is trying not to pay you or make things unnecessarily complicated. Your debt front-loads quarterly and commission takes a long time to be paid out, so even though the money sounds great, it will take a while to make.

December 17, 2019Talent Acquisition

Dear Reviewer, We appreciate you taking the opportunity to provide insight into your time at GQR. We’re sorry you did not have a great experience while here. Change is constant in the business, however, GQR is proud of the development and investment we put into our employees. Our leadership team is aware that we are in developing markets, especially in Austin, and with that comes to transition, culture shifts, and a necessary investment in back-office functions to make it all work. We hope that we have provided some clarity on our culture and environment at GQR. If you would like to discuss in greater detail, please reach out to the Austin Office Head, Shawn Dargusch. We wish you success in your future roles. If you have further questions, we encourage you to please contact one of our talent acquisition specialists. https://www.gqrgm.com/people?specialism=Talent Acquisition

"The first review I've written"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in London, England

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is the first review I've written for GQR as I wanted to write an objective review, I feel 6 months is long enough for me to make a fair assessment. 1. I receive SO much support from leadership both locally and globally - even when I'm having a bad week, there is someone on hand to troubleshoot and help me do better. 2. I have autonomy to choose which roles to source for and truly partner with hiring managers to find the perfect candidate 3. I have all the resources I could possibly need to help me do my job 4. When I have been ill and away from the office, I felt truly supported by all my colleagues - they actually care!

Cons

Honestly, it's hard, I did join thinking it would be easy and boy was I wrong. I'm glad that I'm surrounded by such high performing people that are able to help me, but the competitor in me wants to do better than them which is no easy feat!

November 11, 2019Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your candid review. We appreciate the transparency and are glad that you are surrounded by high performing people that push you to be your very best! We wish you continued success at GQR and in your specific field.

"College Graduate to Senior Associate Review"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time for more than a year

Pros

They push you to be your best. Everyone wants to always see each other make money and work hard in the offices. Even though things might be challenging when your a fresh graduate out of college, at GQR they shape you to become a young business professional and a expert of your space. GQR has shaped my future and thoroughly prepared me on for how to initiate, develop and close professional business dealings. In the Recruitment, you have to have the ability to think long term, have a positive mindset and work effectively to maximum time between business development and candidates.

Cons

Sometimes it can be hard to get past threshold when you are first learning the industry. Other than that, GQR is great in flexibility and being accommodating to its employees

October 9, 2019Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! It's great to hear that GQR's platform has shaped your future and made an impact. We wish you continued success at GQR!

"Great company - Be prepared to be challenged everyday!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in London, England

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time for less than a year

Pros

- GQR is not like any other business I have worked in. Having joined the business with previous experience. It's fair to say that they definitely take you on a journey to grow and be the best version of yourself professionally. - Tasmin (L&D) in London is incredibly personable. Understands where you are struggling with headhunts and coaches you throughout your time at GQR. -I was really lucky that I joined such a supportive team. My manager knows my personal goals that I want to achieve this year and he has been a massive support to ensure that I am always challenging myself professionally . - You will always have access to senior leaders. Khash really understood what I was lacking in my previous agency. He continuously catches up with me and his flexible approach means that you never have to book a meeting with him but instead he is always on the floor or around when you need him. His continuous support has meant that I have the ability to run events in other countries. - Support of females in the business who want to be leaders. From the outset, I made it clear that I wanted to eventually grow a team around me. This has always been supported with a clear progression plan. -Meritocratic system - you can be in the business for a year and progress incredibly quickly, I've not seen this at any other business I have worked in.

Cons

The office can get really cold (Luckily I have a heater)

October 15, 2019Talent Acquisition

Dear Reviewer, Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a candid review. We certainly agree with you that our L&D team in London (Tasmin) is a fantastic person and coach here at GQR. We're also happy to hear that you feel support from your managers (Khash), colleagues, and friends in the London office. We find it very important to have 1:1 time with leadership throughout the workweek. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace and are happy that you have experienced that first hand. Again, we thank you for your review. We wish you continued success at GQR! Also, we'll look into the office being a tad bit cold :)

Viewing 1 - 10 of 43 English Reviews