GQR Global Markets Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Aug 3, 2021

Found 19 of over 230 reviews

3.9
GQR Global Markets CEO & Managing Director Steven Talbot (no image)
Steven Talbot
Pros
  • "GQR is not for the faint of heart(in 49 reviews)

• "Great earning potential and also payment structure(in 26 reviews)

• Cons
  • "sometimes long hours (whilst not on target)(in 47 reviews)

• "Work Life Balance is hindered, this job does require long hours and wouldn't recommend if this is not something you're comfortable with(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

High expectations for high reward

Aug 3, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

GQR is not for the faint of heart. If you’re looking for an easy 9-5, clock in/clock out and get a mediocre salary this is not the place for you. If you’re driven and motivated by the opportunity to grow and develop as an individual, collaborate with some of the most talented individuals in the business and achieve high compensation along the way then keep reading! Anyone in the staffing industry knows that it’s not easy and it’s not 40-hours/week. For those who are realistic about the expectations of being in this industry there is an abundance of knowledge and opportunity to gain by working at GQR. We are continuously supported and pushed to develop more, learn more and achieve more. You will be pushed outside of your comfort zone but that’s the only way to grow! Expectations are high and you are held accountable for your quotas and goals, but the reward is just as high. The commission structure is top in the industry and the base salaries are more than fair. They’ve worked to improve flexibility and work/life balance by offering a hybrid remote schedule for those local to offices and flex PTO. Bottom line: if you like to work hard, collaborate with others, challenge yourself to be better, and are motivated by success you would be foolish to let GQR pass you by.

Cons

401k with matching would be a nice touch

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company, great compensation, great people

Feb 8, 2021 - Associate Vice President in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Incredible compensation if you're good at your job, which is rewarding and fun

Cons

The hours used to be long, but since going remote management has made a very conscious effort to help us maintain work/life balance

Talent Acquisition

Hello Reviewer, Thank you for taking the time to leave GQR a review. We certainly agree that management and the global business is very conscious in making sure our teams help maintain a work/life balance, especially during these uncertain times.

3. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

It was all fine

Dec 12, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Marina del Rey, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I don’t know what to categorize as a pro/con. During the time I was employed there I refused to write a review. After all, mama said if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it at all. Well, it’s been 6 months since I’ve parted ways with GQR and I’ve had ample time to see the fruits of my labor. And like most things, hindsight is 20/20 The role was not sold to me truthfully, there can definitely be less confetti decoration around the 6-figure income potential and more truthful detail of what you need to sacrifice to get there. Set realistic expectations for the job. Sales is not meant for everyone. GQR is not meant for everyone and it really shouldn’t be. So sell it that way too. The company challenges who you are, what you’re capable of, and provides you a platform to discover it for yourself. They will force you to push your boundaries, and while it may be hell in the moment, 2 years with GQR was equivalent to 6 years at any other sales position. You are thrown in the waters and told to swim, and if you’ve got a chip on your shoulder or something to prove, truth is you’ll find the power in yourself to actually swim. Most fresh college grads won’t survive. Grit seems to be scarce nowadays. If you want a cushy job, this isn’t it. You need to put in the work to reap the benefits. You need to put the extra hours in for little pay to learn and master the skill. Listen, Ask questions, understand and trust the process. They have 3-months of structured training from Learning & Development. No one asked me to work 6am to 10pm during training without overtime pay, but it’s your own self-determination and your own input that’ll shape your progress here. Yes its a lot of pressure and it was not easy. But by the end of year 1, I was top-ranked in LA through to my departure. It gets easier, but you have to be patient, trust the process, and put in the work. You eat what you kill. Uncapped commission and minimum base. Each promotion raises those rates. If you take your foot off the gas pedal, expect to see a huge dip in your commissions and progression. Expect to work hard for little pay, but keep your mind on the bigger picture (whatever that may be for you, money, sales, communication skills etc). Commission structure is well above industry average. Work Life Balance...You’ll find time for the things you love somehow. It’s work hard and play hard here. Your direct manager will be the making or breaking of your success. Take advantage of them. As you build your skillset and track record, Leadership will always notice. My manager was more than I could have hoped. Open-minded, clear, personable and valued my inputs, ideas, and criticisms. I think most people fall into the trap of hiding themselves in front of their managers. I find being honest and transparent will always work to your advantage here. Learning & Development and your manager will be your biggest supporter and advocate as you master the skill. There have been infinite improvements to this team and they have your back. It’s an open door policy everywhere, VPs or associate, everyone is approachable, whether they’re in your office or halfway across the world. Collaboration is encouraged, asking questions is encouraged, there is no one right way and the company encourages using each other as resources for success. Meritocracy - again, it’s not for everyone. When you’re in training, you’ll be monitored like a hawk. Are you hitting your targets? Are you showing progress? Are you coachable? That tight leash loosens the more successful you are closing deals and making money. Then you have all the autonomy. Career progression is also based on merit. You get promoted based on your billings. As you move up the ranks, you are trained in Leadership, your position becomes more visible and you are presented with different options of how you want to influence the company. Independent biller and rainmaker? Great. Want to build a team? Great. Want to be business facing? Great. They have implemented ways to compliment the employee’s personalities and interests. They see the individual value you bring to the table and they want to align it with your own career interests. You have autonomy and high levels of responsibility here. Access to Leadership was limited when your at the bottom ranks. Some might see that as a con, but I think if you’re at the bottom ranks, your focus shouldn’t be “be best friends with the CEO”. But leadership can be more tangible to the junior ranks. There can be more effort here to influence at all levels. Culture is competitive or “sweatshop”. You’re surrounded by overachievers who will pressure you to succeed. Whether thats a positive or negative is biased to your own mindset. Use it as fuel or crumble. GQR is not meant for everyone & that should not change. This team is comprised of over achievers, so the standards of performance should be no less than excellent. It’s a needle-in-a-haystack search when you’re looking at new grads, but hey, this is a specialized recruiting firm. They know what they’re doing. Specialization - If you have an interest into an industry, this is a phenomenal way to become an expert in it and thrive. You get to mingle and network with high profile individuals in your field and being exposed to these minds is a pro in itself. The connections you make within the company and your clients will carry on through your lifetime. What I admire most about GQR is their innovative and ever-evolving state of being. Most companies will take your opinion and suggestions and throw it in the trash. GQR has always proven that they are listen and they are moving to make improvements, they care for their people and will support them. Companies that move forward or backwards are better than companies who are stagnant. GQR is always innovating, always improving, and always challenging the status quo. There will always be people who complain of the hours, the low pay, or whatever it is. But truth is, if you’re fresh out of college and you have the desire to make it on your own. GQR will give you every resource and opportunity to prove yourself. And your surrounded by fun and real people through it. Hindsight is 20/20. GQR was the right choice. The skills I’ve acquired during my time here are immeasurable and valuable. Forever grateful to my manager and L&D. The choice is yours. Make it worth your while.

Cons

401k should be matched Keep improving health and insurance benefits. Keep attracting diverse talent. There really has to be a better way for finance to keep track of billings and payouts.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing place to work!

Aug 21, 2019 - Vice President, Life Sciences in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

-The company truly values each employee -Receptive to feedback and change -Incredible compensation -Great visibility and autonomy -Great work/life balance after year 1 -Transparent promotional guidelines and growth trajectory -A highly strategic organization with stellar leadership

Cons

-It's a high performing sales environment and not for everyone. (not a con) -Long hours can make work/life balance difficult for new recruiters (you should want to sacrifice this during your first year so you can absorb and develop!)

8 people found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for your review! We truly appreciate your honesty and the time it took to share your authentic experience.

5. 4.0

GQR, one year in

Feb 4, 2019 - Associate in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Let me start with a disclaimer, if you're looking for the kind of recruitment firm with ping-pong tables, 9-5 working hours and a good work-life balance, you can stop here, this company isn't for you. You have to be particularly intrinsically motivated to succeed at GQR, but you will be given the opportunity to do so, and be rewarded in a meritocratic fashion for it. - Promotion and remuneration is based upon performance, not politicking. You will be surrounded by an ambitious group of individuals, that will push you to achieve your best. The team sizes are small enough for you to receive constant development, yet large enough for collaboration. Learning and development opportunities are great, everyone is very emotionally intelligent and enthusiastic to help you progress. Encouragement to build-out new areas for the business.

Cons

The pay likely won't be great in your first year, realistically your second year is where you'll see 5 figure pay-cheques, although it is possible in Y1 to do so. Long working hours (8-7) High staff turn-over.

Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback! We love hearing that you are taking advantage of our ambitious work environment and have identified with the entrepreneurial spirit of the business. We agree with you that the pay can vary in the first year, while the first year with GQR can be challenging for some, there are many individuals who have found success with the company in their first eight months. We value and consider all feedback and will continue to find ways to improve. To specifically address the elements in your review, we encourage you to read on. Turn-over: We agree than turnover rates may seem higher than other industries. However, our rates are in alignment with other sales-based organizations. We hold bi-annual, voluntary committees to better understand the concerns and needs of our people to ensure that, moving forward, we are able to better retain our talent. Outside of these committees, we offer several communication channels – anonymous and open – that we regularly encourage our people to use to solidify our commitment to transparency in the workplace. We do, escalate issues from our feedback channel directly to leadership. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and takeaways from GQR!

6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

False Hope

Nov 7, 2018 - Consultant in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

The boss would sometimes shout drinks on a Friday The Sydney office boss is a really great guy

Cons

- Horrible culture - Interview process is made out to make the job 'elite' when really they offer a position to anyone that interviews - Huge staff turnover as they just don't know what type of people they should be hiring - Working hours are insane for the amount of mundane work you do - I developed migraines from staring at a computer for 14 hours a day - Frowned upon to take your lunch break - No staff benefits except if you work yourself to the bone for 8+ months and hopefully get commission - Commission is impossible to reach. The success stories they tell you in the interview are all after 3 years of employment - They hire people that do not get along - The Learning and Development executives are clueless and make it out like you are changing the world one CV at a time - Targets-based to an extreme degree - Pay is monthly - Pay is incredibly low - NO work/life balance

10 people found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition

Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your honest review. We’re very pleased to hear that you had a positive experience working with EVP, Robert Hosken. We value and consider all feedback and will continue to find ways to improve. Regarding your constructive feedback, we felt it necessary to address your concerns below. Culture: At GQR we are devoted to creating a positive and transparent workplace. And, we are proud of the culture we have built as well as our commitment to further invest in our people, platform and processes to promote collaboration, specialisation and globalisation. We provide the opportunity for numerous company trips throughout the year as well as individual jet sets. We also appreciate the impact organised socials have on employee engagement and morale and actively encourage all our Office Heads to drive these activities locally. Hours & Lunch Break: For the Sydney office, our hours are in fact 8 AM to 6 PM Monday to Thursday, and 8 AM to 2/3 PM Fridays. We strive to foster an environment that is diverse and inclusive of the needs of our people while also considering the markets and organisations we support. To achieve this, we maintain office hours unique to each of our global offices. However, we strongly champion the idea of working smarter, not harder – so hours may vary from person to person based on their ability to meet or exceed their targets. Our Sydney employees are encouraged to take 1.5-hour lunchbreaks three days a week and 1-hour lunchbreaks the other two days of the week. Compensation & Commission: While the first year with GQR can be challenging for some, there are many individuals who have found success with the company in their first eight months. We feel it’s important to stress that you are embarking on a career path when you join our team. We offer exceptional exposure, long-term development and the opportunity for high earnings to those who approach the role with an entrepreneurial drive. If you are looking for a comfortable base, we agree that GQR might not be the best fit for you. If you are looking for the chance to operate autonomously with an uncapped commission structure, GQR most definitely is the place for you. Turnover & Transparency: While we disagree on your point about not knowing which people to bring on to the team, we agree that turnover rates may seem high compared with other industries. However, our rates are very much in alignment with sales-based organisations. Further, we have not had any employees outside of probation leave in over six months. We hold bi-annual, voluntary committees to better understand the concerns and needs of our people to ensure that, moving forward, we are able to better retain our talent. Outside of these committees, we offer several communication channels – anonymous and open – that we regularly encourage our people to use to solidify our commitment to transparency in the workplace. We do escalate issues from our feedback channel directly to leadership. Training Program: Our L&D Foundation Program is designed to set every employee up for success regardless of experience or prior knowledge of staffing and recruiting businesses and processes. And, our training staff are passionate about the work they do and the impact they can achieve internally and externally. We are proud to announce that we’ve recently hired a Head of Learning & Development with 12 years of experience to help expand and develop our L&D program. Again, we thank you for your feedback and hope that we have provided some clarity on our culture and methodologies. If you are reading this review and feel you have further questions or are interested in an opportunity, we encourage you to please contact one of our talent acquisition specialists. https://www.gqrgm.com/people?specialism=Talent%20Acquisition

7. 5.0

Challenging Work with Exceptional Growth Potential

Aug 13, 2018 - Associate in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Work - High Input, High Output. GQR invests significant time and energy into the onboarding of each employee, so naturally there are high expectations for performance. Working at GQR, you should expect long hours (8 AM - 7 PM is the typical workday, but longer during training) - however, the hours aren't mindless but actually spent doing hard, thoughtful work. And if you work smart and hard, you will make serious money. The People - GQR has a fantastic culture that helps motivate and support its employees. While healthy competition is integral to GQR's business, the company's collaborative model encourages employees to work together in order to maximize efficiency and overall earning potential. Having recently started with GQR, I have been wildly impressed by the level of market knowledge each employee demonstrates toward their specific sector. Everyone is very self-motivated and hard-working, but also exceptionally friendly and supportive. There's a great sense of camaraderie in the NY office, which helps make the work more enjoyable. The Interviews - Before interviewing with GQR, I wasn't very interested in the recruiting space. But early on in my interviews, I realized that GQR is and does a lot more than just recruiting - the work can better be understood as recruitment consulting. I worked specifically with Carol from the NY office during my recruitment - her interviews were tough and required serious intellectual and introspective consideration. Before my final round, in-office interview, I came upon GQR's Glassdoor reviews and almost decided to cancel the appt. As you can see from some negative reviews, there are complaints about GQR's credibility, work/life balance, unfair expectations, etc. But it is important to understand that for the most part, these are written by those who were unable to commit to the work or weren't the best cultural fits. I am so glad that I went forward with my final interview because I would've missed out on this opportunity of a lifetime. The reality is that this type of work is not for everyone. But if you are willing to put in the work, you will reap significant rewards. Yes, the hours are long - but are spent thoughtfully and surrounded by people who are smart, motivated, friendly, and fun. There are also monthly happy hours and frequent networking events on the NY office's rooftop.

Cons

GQR is not for the faint of heart. Having only recently started at GQR, I already feel confident in saying that it takes a certain type of person to truly succeed here. That being said, it is achievable if you have grit. I can't think of any outstanding cons, other than the fact that there is no 401K.

7 people found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide your positive feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience here.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Thoughts on GQR

Feb 14, 2018 - Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

GQR is a place where the sky is the limit, you genuinely are the purveyor of your own success The culture is great, young, social, but hard working individuals who share the same career aspirations as yourself A lot of flexibility on the way you approach your business, very collaborative environment

Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for your positive review. We're happy to hear you're enjoying the culture here at GQR! You said it perfectly, the sky is the limit here.

9. 5.0

Make your Mark

Oct 3, 2017 - Associate in Santa Monica, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Control over your market, work with industry leaders, invaluable learning opportunities, unlimited billing potential, meritocracy, fun/team environment, competitive incentives, commission structure, travel opportunities (business AND pleasure)

Cons

work/life balance, recruiting isn't for everyone

GQR

Thanks so much for posting your feedback! We love hearing that our employees are reaping so many benefits and positive experiences from our company. Our employees are the ones on the frontline creating the success for our company, so we strive to ensure we provide the best opportunity for our tenacious team! As a recruiter, you understand the dedication that goes into pursuing a career in this industry. We commend you for taking on the challenge in pursuit of this leadership opportunity. We will absolutely take your feedback to our talent acquisition team to ensure our potential candidates are fully aware of the recruitment industry. We always try to prepare our candidates for the reality of recruitment, but some may not be able to fully understand the commitment until they have actually entered into it as you have. Work/life opportunity is always a balancing act in recruitment, and we are constantly working to provide our consultants with as many fun, adventurous activities as possible to unwind after a long day. Thank you again for providing this feedback and we hope you continue to enjoy working with us!

10. 4.0
      Former Employee

Amazing place for hard workers

May 23, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

GQR trained me more effectively than I realized while still with the firm. They are incredibly good at what they do and they are on an excellent trajectory. If you're in recruitment, this is the place to be. Great mobility, visibility, compensation and great people.

Cons

Limited work/life balance. High stress and high-intensity job.

GQR

We truly appreciate your feedback! It is great to hear about your positive experience working with us, and we're excited you gained so much from our L&D program. We are very proud of the strides we have made, and we wish you the best of luck in all your future endeavors as well!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 19 Reviews