Gap Customer Experience Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 3 Aug 2017

3.2
Gap CEO Art Peck
Art Peck

"Great experience. Not enough recognition."

Current Employee - Assistant Customer Experience Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Gap full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Having the opportunity to make a change for the company. Being able to grow from a sales associate into a management position within the company.

Cons

Poorly screened sales associates. Lack of motivation, enthusiasm and value for the gap brand. Customers not appreciating the company. Poorly trained new hires.

Advice to Management

Recognize the value of managers who do the work instead of the time managers have been there. Unreasonable expectations of when to get projects done.

Gap2017-08-03
  2. "Base level team experience is usually good, but its clear higher management doesn't care much for your time or effort"

Current Employee - Assistant Customer Experience Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Gap full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are fair, as its retail life work balance depends on the individual store, if you are passionate about charitable work the company is very supportive

Cons

The daily workload can vary widely, you may be putting a promotion out just to change it the next day and then again the day after which can happen every week, pay doesn't match work and effort

Advice to Management

Value your employees time better, being dynamic doesn't mean changing at the drop of a hat, some review of your discount policy is warranted

Gap2017-07-02
  3. "don't throw away great potential"

Former Employee - Assistant Customer Experience Manager in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I worked at Gap full-time for more than a year

Pros

The employee discount is wonderful! Best denim in the business (I'll always be biased). Gap really does give you the operational experience that you'll use your entire career in retail. I can't sing the phrases of their operational standards enough! I am detail oriented so the mandatory equalizing audits and fair scheduling practices were something I totally jived with.

Cons

The store manager in my particular location was very lazy within her role - and the store suffered for it. Although knowledgeable and tenured, the store productivity and sales dwindled due to her office based leadership. My experience in retail before this had been an "all hands on deck" team mentality - GAP changed that and made me realize that leaders can sometimes be impactful in super negative way. I was in... an under-performing store sales wise that had been a remodel / condensation during their time of rapid closures. This location had been taken from being a stand alone kids / baby store to integrating the adult store into it. They did not change the fixtures or refresh the interior before making this change. Children's fixtures do not support adult merchandise. It felt like we were a throw away for the company. At the time of the integration, they did not allow payroll to support a real all store meeting to aid in blending and training of the two staffs that merged into the one. So essentially I had two confused staffs, product that was unplaceable, and frustrated customers who didn't understand our lack of merchandise and training. I was able to maintain our payroll and credit card standards during my year with gap and increase training and productivity - but there's only so much that you can do with the limited resources thrown forward by the company and your General Manager. I thought that during my time there I would be training the staff on advanced outfitting and styling, but instead I was...teaching them it's mandatory to say "hello" to people walking through the door...? Yikes.

Advice to Management

Advice to store management at this location - leave your office. Really work on that sales floor! Our job as leaders is to be the pulse of our store and keep motivation and productivity at a 10. The customers want our help, and the employees deserve our loyalty. Without them, we have nothing. Advice to corporate - when you do these closures / condense stores --- really invest in making the teams and locations... stronger. They should be given a fair chance. Imagine your favorite store merges with its counterpart, you go in and nothing's the same. The employees are confused and checked out, the displays are messy and less impactful. You're going to leave. Stores are already suffering from online sales - now we don't even stand a fair chance in the market because there's Zero investment in your merged locations.

Gap2017-05-23

"Lots of good, some small changes could help"

Current Employee - Assistant Customer Experience Manager in Madison, WI

I have been working at Gap full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits for full time employees, great discount at multiple Gap Inc brands+ some good community discounts. Really fantastic people (but that's obviously dependent on location).

Cons

Full time employee pay is average (didn't improve with the company wide minimum wage increase), and raises are laughable. High turnover in certain stores. Promotional changes a aren't always well communicated to stores.

Gap2016-09-14

"Good company that maybe has lost it's way.."

Assistant Customer Experience Manager

I worked at Gap

Pros

They value work life balance, competitive wages if you are in the metro area. Strong company values, Working with a peer group that is hard working and can maneuver change quickly. Best retail company I have ever worked for,

Cons

Company is in a transition period that makes running a store tuff due to conflicting information\ direction. Corporate does not seem to relate to field issues at times. Payroll was always an issue...never enough to produce the results we needed to deliver. Probably the same issues most retailers are having right now.

Advice to Management

Listen to your customers and the leaders in the field. Online is killing the in store market so listen to customers and give them the product that they want...i.e. Basics Not to date myself but Gap use to be all about Jeans, T's and Khakis...What happened?

Gap2016-06-19
  6. "Assistant Store Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Customer Experience Manager

I worked at Gap full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people...i made some great friends over the years

Cons

Very militant style, praise for punishing people not for successes, no work life balance, under paying in industry

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees and you won't have such high turn over!

Gap2016-04-22

"Customer experience manager"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gap full-time

Pros

Works with some really awesome people who will remain lifelong friends.

Cons

Do more with less attitude. Payroll was on a sharp downward spiral while workload was on a sharp upward spiral. It was also a glass ceiling. They claim they promote from within, however they consistently hire from outside the company. They find every reason not to promote.

Advice to Management

More field support with realistic workload expectations.

Gap2015-12-29
  8. "Typical Retail"

Former Employee - Assistant Customer Experience Manager in DeWitt, MI

I worked at Gap full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great employee discount at not only Gap but Old Navy and Banana Republic. Tuition reimbursement for Full-time employees.

Cons

Hours are always rough especially near the holidays, raises are very small even if you get a good teview, corporate cares more about credit cards than customers.

Advice to Management

Take more time to develop emoployees. Invest in a good training standard and stick with it.

Gap2015-12-31
  9. "Customer Experience Manager"

Customer Experience Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Gap for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Career progression is very limited

Gap2015-11-13
  10. "Assistant General Mgr"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Manager

I worked at Gap full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, Initial onboarding is amazing ! You leave excited to start. They ensure I started right in time to get my health benefits.

Cons

Everything else... The company is is shambles. They are cutting position, losing key players and is being kept a float by its lower level retailer. The company is constantly on sale and keeps no integrity to full price! It time to either embrace a pricing model that is reflective of lower pricing or let your product sale it self.

Gap2015-11-17