Gap "long hours" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Gap Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated Dec 4, 2019

3.6
Gap CEO Art Peck
Art Peck
1,039 Ratings
Pros
Cons
  • "Big emphasis in the last couple years to hard sell credit cards(in 243 reviews)

• "not enough pay for the long hours(in 136 reviews)

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Gap full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Happy work environment for all.

Cons

Retail requires Long hours and holidays d

Advice to Management

Follow the company vision

Gap2019-12-03
  2. "Ok first job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wandsworth, England

I worked at Gap part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discount was really great, high.

Cons

Long hours, no work life balance

Gap2019-12-04
  3. "Ideal part time role"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

I worked at Gap part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay Relaxed environment Ideal for students

Cons

No progression Long hours Bad discount - basically the same as customers

Gap2019-11-18
  4. "Gap"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I have been working at Gap part-time for more than a year

Pros

Discounts 50% full price 10% sale items

Cons

Long hours No organisations

Gap2019-11-09
  5. "50/50"

Current Employee - Sale Associate in London, England

I have been working at Gap part-time for more than a year

Pros

It’s a good work environment, in the sense that you do get an hour beak for an 8h shift or 1/2h for 6h and the people you work with are generally nice. Staff discount is 50% off full price items and 10% off sale items (only in-store discount). It’s an easy job, you just give good customer service to the customers.

Cons

The long hours especially around the holiday period. It can be very hectic and messy and mentally draining. During the holiday period, i.e from Black Friday till after the new year, so end of November till end of January you cannot take off any holidays. Most people tend to leave since their holiday is usually to be with their family for Christmas/new year. The staff discount has strict rules, as you can’t... let your friends use your staff discount as you have to pay for all the items yourself, they make you sign and print your name along with the store code. However we do get friends and family discount during a week 2 weeks before Black Friday, but I just think this is just to make people think they are getting good deal with 50% off with the friends and family discount, but Black Friday normally has better discount for selected items. When working at gap let’s say you are on a 12h contract, apparently they have a policy that you have to be flexible up to 16h and that you must give a 3 day availability. Most people can’t do this as they are full time university students and have every day full. And a shift time can be from open, 07:00am till close 23:00. And when they ask you to be flexible for another 4h, I feel like they take advantage of this as they will always give you 16h even if your contracted for 12h, and this is not what was agreed on when you first start. This is actually unfair. If you want a job full time/apply for a job full time I.e 24h etc. You should know that you won’t be getting your hours you are contracted for, for the first few months you will probably be working 12h/16h per week as you are still new and they won’t give you your full contracted hours. Additionally, when the shifts come out it’s usually very very late. Recently, (nov 2019) our new rota had just come out 2 DAYS before they was asked to work. So the rota came out on Friday and workers on Sunday told they was working on the Friday. This is too short notice if you ask me. They are usually late on doing the rota by about a week, but 2 days before you are scheduled to work is unacceptable. The managers need to know that we have lives outside of work, we understand you have to be flexible etc, but we was told that rota would be 2 weeks in advance. They keep making promises they can’t keep. Yes they can argue that if your normally scheduled in for a Sunday shift, you know you are working on a Sunday so you should be expecting to work a shift on a Sunday, but shift times can vary, and usually it is not always consistent. Sometime rota delays can cause us stress as we have other people to answer to other than at work. Additionally, the pay. Working in London, in the west end which is usually the busiest place as we have the flagship store there, we don’t even get the minimum London living wage. This is 2019, they London living wage is £10.75 per hour, sales associate gets paid if you work in the west end £8.63 per hour and pay varies in different parts of London, the more you go a way from central London, the less you get paid per hour.

Advice to Management

Please be more accommodating when staff would like to purchase items, we are choosing to spend our pay checks back into the store, so it’s a bit annoying when you have to call a manager over and wait longer for them to become available/come over so they can serve you as only managers and seniors can do employee transactions and you end up waiting longer than customers who is standing in line as you. Please also... follow through with your promises. When you say if we do so and so we get a prize, please follow through on it.

Gap2019-11-18
  6. "sales person"

I worked at Gap full-time for less than a year

Pros

First job out of high school, easy hiring process.

Cons

low pay, long hours on weekend

Gap2019-10-28
  7. "Loved it"

Former Contractor - Great Place

I worked at Gap

Pros

Work ethic and great team

Cons

Long hours underpaid, expect too much

Gap2019-10-06
  8. "Cool"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Gap full-time

Pros

Nice folks, fun work environment and cool discount

Cons

pay, long hours, some managers don't care

Gap2019-10-05
  9. "Good time"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Gap full-time for more than a year

Pros

The sense of family at gap

Cons

The fast paste and long hours

Gap2019-10-01
  10. "First job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cabazon, CA

I worked at Gap part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Relatively easy work - Discount given for clothes

Cons

- Mundane work - Sometimes long hours on holidays

Gap2019-09-01