Gensler Reviews

3.8
Gensler Co-CEOs Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours and some directors who are out of touch with employee wellbeing(in 55 reviews)

• "hard to achieve work-life balance due to heavy load on works(in 52 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review

"A dynamic place to really grow in your design career"

Former Employee - Principal/Design Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is a strong culture at Gensler that you really come to appreciate - in the various offices all over the world. There is something that connects everyone - a culture and commitment to creating great projects but also growing our people to lead in their own way. Something they call the "one-firm-firm" mentality - that we all work across offices to support out our teams and our clients - vs. competing against each region like some firms do. I had a great opportunity to travel to many offices over 20 years and work on some of the most amazing projects of every scale - when you walk into one of our offices at senior level - you feel at home immediately. When I first arrived many years ago - I really knew nothing about Gensler - but over the years I have seen every kind of project and every kind of client come through our doors. As the reputation has grown - the work is getting better and better and more diverse than simply architecture and interiors. I had the opportunity to work with numerous talented consultants and collaborators - but was always happy to have the core Gensler group that I worked with understand the culture and what connects us all. I think people would be shocked at how simple the formula developed by Art Gensler is - "hiring great people and getting out of their way". It works when it's done right and there are a lot of leaders, designers and doers who practice this ideas whether they think about it or not.

Cons

The people who really thrive at Gensler understand that this is not a place to just "have a job" - but to grow in your career and push beyond your comfort zone. While the firm has changed significantly and matured over my 22 years - it is changing faster than ever in recent times - to keep pace with how fast the design industry is changing, our society, our cities and the impact of interior design and architecture. This means there are great opportunities for those with an entrepreneurial drive and a dynamic design approach. If you want to do one thing, to just work on projects - this might not be the place for you.

March 29, 2021

Thanks so much for the feedback. We love to hear from our alumni and wish you all the best in your current and future endeavors.

"Good company"

Current Employee - Project Accountant in Bangalore
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Gensler full-time

Pros

Good atmosphere to work More employees benifit program

Cons

Long extended hours More depth knowledge required

November 17, 2020

Thanks so much for the feedback. We love to hear from our people. You and your colleagues are the foundation of our success.

3. "Good experience"

Former Employee - Intern in Bangalore

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good team and worth ethic

Cons

Nothing much to be told

December 28, 2020

"Mediocrity, favouritism, politics. For the Principals, by the Principals and of the Principals."

1.0

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you want to keep a job, this is the place or maybe not.

Cons

Starts and ends with politics. The guiding principles are for everyone but the Principals. Extremely mediocre design. There is no design culture, the projects are run by design managers who more often than not only know how to talk with less or no experience or capacity to understand design quality. All that matters is the bottom line. This is not a design firm. Design is merely a means to an end, which in this case is simply money. Every talk is hogwash.

August 3, 2020

Thanks for taking the time to share feedback on your experience at Gensler. We appreciate your candor and consider all the feedback we receive. Providing honest feedback is critical to supporting our culture and our values of integrity, trust and mutual respect. We appreciate your feedback and will share your comments with the firm’s leadership

5. "Excellent work culture"

Former Employee - H R

I worked at Gensler full-time

Pros

Excellent work culture and great workplace

Cons

I didn't encounter any downside

July 13, 2020

Thanks for providing feedback on your experience at Gensler. We appreciate our alumni and value their perspectives.

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Technical Designer in Bangalore

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great working environment, a chance to work with Gensler offices worldwide, exposure to projects of all scales and typology

Cons

Slow career growth, hesitation in allowing juniors to take on more responsibility, low salary

May 14, 2020

Thanks for providing feedback on your experience at Gensler. We value our people and love to hear their perspectives.

"We are one family..."

Current Employee - Architectural Designer

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

So many, but simply awesome.

Cons

One of the best performer in my local office but due to internal politics zero appreciation.

March 17, 2020Gensler Response

"Time waste = life waste !!!!!!!!!!!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Bangalore

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Happy hour = eye wash to peace employees 2. Timings 3. Timings 4. Timings 5.scrum master is the most professional

Cons

1. Politics 2. Divide 3. Favouritism 4. One employee considered as God 5. Manager doesn't understand technology , director favouritism 6. poor aprisal and no work 7. Other than few rest do politics to stay longer

March 6, 2020Gensler Response

Thanks for the feedback. We treat workplace concerns seriously and address them in accordance with our internal policies and procedures. We have multiple channels for reporting issues and we train and encourage our team members to use them. Encouraging everyone to ask questions and provide honest feedback is critical to supporting our culture and our values of integrity, trust and mutual respect.

9. "It was fun and a platform of great exposure"

Former Employee - Technical Designer in Bangalore

I worked at Gensler full-time for less than a year

Pros

Perks, party, people, food, work, network

Cons

Work-life balance, Lack of client interaction

October 17, 2019Gensler Response

10. "Great Exposure & work culture"

Current Employee - Junior Architect in Bangalore

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than a year

Pros

Get to work on some of the biggest projects Exposed to international designers Get to work on Global projects

Cons

Mostly corporate interiors Mostly restricted to Concept design

July 1, 2019Gensler Response

Thanks for the feedback. We love the chance to hear from our people!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,211 Reviews