Gilead Sciences Employee Reviews about "gilead"

Updated Nov 5, 2021

Found 96 of over 1,611 reviews

3.9
Gilead Sciences CEO Daniel O’Day
Daniel O’Day
Pros
  • "I must acknowledge that the interview process with Gilead Sciences was the best that I have experienced thus far in my career(in 97 reviews)

• "Gilead has been a great place to work with great benefits(in 96 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Your role determines your work life balance(in 181 reviews)

• "Upper management decision is not transparent(in 48 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "gilead"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Contractor

Jan 20, 2021 - Anonymous Contractor
      Business Outlook

Pros

: Gilead is dedicated to developing innovative medicines for life-threatening illnesses. As we pursue this goal, we strive for positive social and environmental change within our company and our supply chain. Our Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) program is built to focus on patients, society, the planet and our business practices.

Cons

• Setup storage and data analysis tools in Amazon Web services cloud computing infrastructure. • Used pandas, NumPy, Seaborn, SciPy, matplotlib, sci-kit-learn, NLTK in Python for developing various machine learning algorithms. • Installed and used Caffe Deep Learning Framework

2. 5.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

GREAT PLACE TO WORK

Nov 5, 2021 - Procure to Pay Analyst in Raleigh, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Gilead is helping to change the world through SCIENCE and the company as a whole cares about its employees.

Cons

I cant think of one.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Lots of Opportunities, few rewards

Oct 7, 2021 - Associate Director in Foster City, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of opportunities due to small team. If you are very hard working and intelligent, Gilead provides ample opportunity to showcase talent to many people. Great benefits, which are what keep me at Gilead. Along with the very intelligent and collaborative people you can learn from cross-functionally. Compensation is superior to that of Genentech at the lower levels but equal at the higher levels. Teams are very equitable and there is a good amount of focus on DE&I. C Suite/EVPs (e.g. Dan, Andy, Johanna, Merdad, Jyoti, etc) seem to know what they are doing. Several of the new VP levels feel a little lost.

Cons

Lots of responsibilities due to small team, which requires flexibility. Promotions slow to obtain. If you are an exceptional employee, you get a promotion in 1-2 years (if lucky). However, the Team is growing so fast with lots of external talent, but these external recruits due to the competitive job market are less experienced and accepted with less rigor. They also attain very high titles. This leaves older very high performing Gilead employees training their managers and feeling snubbed of a promotion (Gilead does provide short term incentives, which help the high performers but in the long run it doesn’t make up for the differrnce). Eventually you train your manager to do his/her job and he/she with less experience is telling you what to do.

9 people found this review helpful
    4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

The Big Pharma that refuses to acknowledge its growth

Oct 25, 2021 - Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are lots of really smart and talented people to work with but also real managerial bullies. I recommend Gilead to start a career, you will learn more there than any other pharma company, and you can later take you skills anywhere. But you have to do so at the expense of being overworked. Later career development is limited. Benefits good. Back in the day, ISO's stock options were available. Thanks Gilead for opportunity to make strategic investment choices that made a lot of money!

Cons

I had a great career learning at Gilead for about the first 10 years. Then by mid 2010's the companies continued growth caught up and over took the small pharma structure. On the CMC side of the company, the entire pipeline of projects continues to flow through a handful of now VP's and exec Directors who have been about the same group from the early 2000's when there were only 3-5 programs in development. Now its around 20 programs, and the leadership team has no time to devote to any one of them while trying to still direct all of them. Add to that massive head count growth, an IT infrastructure that will constantly "upgrade" to a system that is 3-5 years out of date at the time of implementation, and operational excellence programs lead by people that have no experience or expertise in the topic - e.g. You are in QA, OK - people are unhappy so go lead an operational excellence team to address the issue. You get assigned a team of random chemists etc. also with no relevant experience to the topic, work on it for a year or more and have a 60 minute power point at the end that says, yep people sure are unhappy. Meanwhile, the situation is getting worse at the mid career levels because talent is moving to other opportunities, and those remaining are taking over by default.

8 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Former Contractor, more than 1 year

Great company, some growing pains

Aug 3, 2021 - Manager in Foster City, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Gilead is a great company to work for and offers a lot of opportunities, especially for someone beginning their career. My team was close-knit and I learned an immense amount and gained great connections. I supported multiple products, which was good experience because it allowed me to better understand the landscape and be more competitive for future jobs.

Cons

People are stretched thin and need to perform work outside their TA and expertise simply because there is no other option. As someone who was eager to learn and had few responsibilities outside of work, this was great experience but it would not be a good fit if you had hobbies or a family. Almost none of the women on my team had kids, although other teams had better work-life balance. As a contractor, you are not invited to company events and it can feel like you're a 2nd class citizen; contractors are treated better at my current company, where they are just seen as consultants who want to work part-time or perform the same position for multiple companies rather than full-time employees for whom the company is too stingy to pay for health insurance. We also lost out on some fantastic candidates because of this, and it promotes a non-inclusive environment since people with less experience are deliberately excluded. Broadly, the company is going through growing pains with the acquisitions and expansion into oncology. In my department, there was substantial reorg and they still haven't recovered from it over a year later.

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

You cannot force oncology into a company

Jun 25, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Gilead continues to be a great place to work based on its backbone of virology. The simple fact that Remdesivir was part of the library of compounds and allowed Gilead to respond quickly with a therapy that has helped so many people recover faster from COVID-19 denotes its strength.

Cons

New senior management seem to be only focused on forcing oncology into a company that had no oncology in its DNA. Later acquisitions of smaller companies is not convincing anybody.

3 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0

Amazing interview process

Jul 2, 2021 - Director of Clinical Research
      Business Outlook

Pros

Gilead is a world leader in developing medications to curtail a great variety of illnesses. From HIV, to viral hepatitis, to COVID-19, to rheumatological and oncological conditions.

Cons

Headquarters located in the beautiful but expensive Bay Area. However, the company offers geat benefits to subsidize housing for prospective quailifying employees.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

The best workplace for me and for you

Jun 2, 2021 - Research Scientist in Foster City, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have just accepted an offer with Gilead Sciences, the interview process was the best experience. It is more of a time to meet with people you will be working with and to determine if you will be a fit. Although there were very good questions and test of your technical knowledge, it is not a tense conventional interview atmosphere. More of it is to find out if you have the technical skills for the job, if you are motivated, if you will be a fit for them and if they will be a fit for you. I can already see the growth opportunities during the interview and other places where I could be useful when I resume work. Recruiting process was very fast, less than 4 weeks and I got an offer almost immediately after the interview. I enjoy the people, the atmosphere that I will be joining to work and I look forward to the future challenges to solve problem and make the world a better place.

Cons

No cons whatsoever. It is a perfect place for me.

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Amazing growth and learning opportunities

May 4, 2021 - Senior Manager (HR) in Foster City, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Gilead allows eager, motivated, proactive and resourceful individuals the opportunities to grow and develop their own careers. There is never a lack of opportunity to take on more and truly learn and grow. Amazing pay and benefits. Multi layered benefits for health and wellbeing and other fringe benefits. Mission driven company with a lot of purpose. Taking the time to understand how we work, why certain things work the way they, and what we give back makes working for Gilead feel really good. You truly feel like you're contributing to our mission every day. Smart, driven talent you can learn a lot from

Cons

If you're passionate about your work, you'll find yourself working a lot of hours. The tools and resources needed to get impactful work done quickly are not always there and so man hours are needed.

4 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0

Smoothest Hiring Process Ever

Apr 16, 2021 - Invoice Operations Specialist in Raleigh, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

I must acknowledge that the interview process with Gilead Sciences was the best that I have experienced thus far in my career.

Cons

No cons to share at this time.

2 people found this review helpful