Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

N/A
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is so much flexibility with work/life balance that it makes it easy to come into work in the morning" (in 62 reviews)

• "We have options for work from home and flexible hours" (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • "We’ve grown a lot, which comes with some growing pains" (in 38 reviews)

• "Work/Life balance can be hard to maintain at times due to high quota" (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Work feels like HOME!!"

Current Employee - Online Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Online Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I wake up every morning pumped to walk into work... sounds cliché, but so true! The culture is unlike any company I've come to work for or interviewed for. Everyone in the Glassdoor community is truly genuine and extremely helpful in all aspects. Upper management will help you focus on your next career steps, in setting up mentorships and having one-on-ones to meet your goals. Since I've started as an OSR (only about 3 months ago) 3 of my teammates have been promoted so growth in the company can be fast and is expected.

We moved into a new office on Fulton Market, which is completely beautiful with a great view of the city.

Your coworkers will become family!

Cons

As a new team, the role is continuously changing, but management's positive energy and great communication helps for an easy transition.

Advice to Management

Every day you have a smile on your face and bring great energy to the entire office. The team appreciates everything you do for us and the company!

Glassdoor Response

29 May 2018 – HR Team

Thank you so much for sharing how much you enjoy working at Glassdoor. Creating a work environment and culture where people feel welcomed and they can be themselves is something we strive for and... More

"Dr. StrangeOps or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Abuse"

Former Employee - Sales Operations in Mill Valley, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Operations in Mill Valley, CA (US)

I worked at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Dog friendly office. Free lunch and snacks. The pay is finally starting to get competitive. Most people there are very nice. Most managers have flexible policies around work hours and working from home.

Cons

Something dark lurks within the waters of Glassdoor's Sales Ops team, and it has the team's members fleeing for their careers.

1) The Only Live Culture on the Team is in our Yogurt

In the most recent employee satisfaction survey, the largest word in the word cloud was "toxic". Pressure to perform is sky-high, which is part and parcel of any Sales Operations gig. However, the team's culture has shifted dramatically to reward people who manage up well while undercutting the work and reputation of their peers. People are now hired and valued based their pedigree; Ivy League MBA with Management Consulting is the profile du jour and the only voices truly valued on the team (note: this is not unique to Sales Ops, but proliferates throughout the Operations organization).

Most teams within Sales Ops work in silos and show little interest in understanding work outside of their purview. When collaboration is necessary, tensions inevitably flare. Even team outings are usually segregated by team lines, with the exception of a few open-minded individuals. Rather than encourage cross-pollination, leaders often simply skip the events altogether. We tried a big team-building offsite a couple of months ago. It did not help.

2) I Find Your Lack of Vision Disturbing

Like sand in the desert, our org chart shifts with the winds. By my last count and without exaggeration, we restructured the Sales Ops team no less than 5 times in 2018. Many of those restructures were due to key staff leaving the company (which speaks for itself), but it embodies the lack of a cohesive vision for the team. We almost never talk about team vision, and when we do, there is no follow-through.

Our processes are a mess and everything is manual. There is no documentation because no one has time to document them. We’re told to automate everything, but efforts are poorly scoped by our Sales Tech team and always fall short. Efforts to implement scalable policy are met with extreme resistance from sales leadership. More on that later.

Our Sales Tech Stack is a mess. Salesforce is a disaster, and there are no plans to shore up the foundations there. We are something of an urban legend amongst the CS team at Salesforce, as our implementation is the most cluttered and least efficient that many of them have seen. The result is inefficient process for our sales team and an inability to effect productive change within the environment.
    We've recently taken to cycling in old tools that we've already tried and didn't work. We'll see how that goes.

Our priorities shift more often than our org chart. We frequently enter the week with a frantic email telling us what "the only thing we need to focus on this week" is. OKRs have been out the window for most Sales Ops teams for the last 2 quarters, and when I shake my Magic 8-ball and ask if that will improve, it always says "Reply hazy, try again." Every time.

I have a ticket in with Mattel to troubleshoot.

3) "And then! Oh, the noise! Oh, the Noise! Noise! Noise! Noise!" - The Grinch

A key part of Sales Operations success lies in its relationship with Sales. Somewhere between trust and shared vision lies a nirvana of effectiveness and efficiency.

Unfortunately, none of that exists at Glassdoor. Our relationship with Sales is incredibly dysfunctional. And, in spite of my criticisms above, the lion’s share of the problem lies with the inexperience of sales leadership.

Glassdoor is a strong believer of promoting leaders from within. However, when that is your only method of hiring leaders, you get the Peter Principle run amok. Simply put, there is not a sales executive at Glassdoor that has been anything other than a frontline manager prior to joining the company. And it shows. The decisions made at that level are short-sighted; primarily for the benefit of individual sales reps and to the detriment of our ability to scale. There is little accountability holding leaders to the commitments and decisions they make. Perfect is the archenemy of good. And we learn everything the hard way.

I have seen instances where our lack of experience on the executive team has left us incapacitated when facing the kind of difficult challenges every company encounters during hyper-growth. Every trial our company faces becomes a crisis where the leaders charged with resolution are only equipped to make very educated guesses on the path forward. Again, this is not limited to sales, but it's especially prevalent there.

Advice to Management

We keep putting people in executive leadership positions who have never owned that function before. That's a key part of developing leaders, but when massive sectors of your company are being run by individuals who have only experienced their current function through case studies, it becomes incredibly self-limiting. Ironically, there are plenty of case studies demonstrating this.

You are hemorrhaging Sales Operations people. There is a root cause. Read the notes from the exit interviews and take them seriously, or you're going to end up with Sales Reps booking their own deals.

Glassdoor Response

18 Dec 2018 – COO

Thank you for taking time to leave a review. I'm genuinely sorry to hear about your experience at Glassdoor. Our hope is that all Glassdoor employees feel their experience here is one that reflects... More

"Glassdoor takes cares of its employees and their families!"

Current Employee - Senior Mid-Market SDR in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Mid-Market SDR in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This review is long overdue. Since I started with the company, I have felt a strong connection to our values and a deep desire to grow with Glassdoor. Local leadership is approachable and always willing to hear our ideas (and float them upwards when they are good ones!) Growth is possible as long as you continue to put in hard work month after month. Quota is challenging, but achievable, which is the whole point of having a sales quota.

The benefits for working parents are abundant: GREAT maternity leave, with 100% coverage AND commission compensation (this is unheard of!); flexibility with working from home when needed, and a culture of great people who love your children and embrace them as part of the Glassdoor family. The people who work at Glassdoor truly make our company as wonderful as it is. I am excited to come to work and see friends everyday. Glassdoor has some of the best talent in the workforce and it shows. There are TOO many people here to learn from!

I haven't even considered any outside opportunities since I have been here because Glassdoor is a company that truly cares about you and your family. THAT, for me, is why I remain loyal to this company and I am looking forward to growing my career here.

Cons

At times, it can feel like SDRs are not as important or valuable to the company. Recently, however, leadership has been giving our SDR team shoutouts and if we continue to do that, it will add to the value we bring to the company. SDRs are usually the first voice or outreach to many companies, so investing in more training can improve sales and ROI over time. Sometimes it can be challenging working directly with teams in Mill Valley as a lot of communication is improved via proximity. We are, however, given plenty of tools to help improve this challenge.

Advice to Management

I think the change in the SDR leadership will be refreshing and an outside voice could be the catalyst into an even more powerful team. I think all teams would benefit from outside professional sales trainings, whether it is a training focused on cold calling, best email practices, or others of that nature. It would be great to see the Mill Valley executive team in the Chicago office more, although I know this is tough with busy schedules!

"Sales Development Representative (SDR)"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative (SDR) in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Could be advantageous to have Tech multinational experience on your CV, as it is a well known brand.

Start up environment, in a great location.

Earning potential is generous.

Cons

Probation period of 6 months is actually make or break after 3 months. If you are not hitting & exceeding targets from month 1 your life quickly becomes extremely stressful and management become pessimistic & micro-managers watching, listening and monitoring your calls & calendar.

Overall Glassdoor is a very difficult product to sell given a lot of prospective clients you a cold approaching dislike Glassdoor, have had negative experience using Glassdoor or received poor reviews that as an SDR you can not remove.

Work life balance, holidays and weekends are sacrificed to hit targets that can feel achievable.

Advice to Management

Care about more then targets and treat your staff as people first, fee earners second.

5. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Culture and team moral, everyone is so friendly and helpful i found.
    Close family feel as if your part of a family.
    Training and on boarding is excellent.
    Offices are in a great location with all the bells and whistles.
    Oppurtunity to grow in the role.

Cons

The lunch bar and snacks could be improved

Advice to Management

Nothing to report - its been excellent.

"Marketing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA (US)

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great teammates, feel truly able to be myself and "at home" at work. It feels inspiring to know our work makes an impact.

Cons

Changes and rapid growth may lead to some uncertainty, but we have strong leaders at the helm

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Appreciate the transparency and "walking the walk".

"Glassdoor is a wonderful place!"

Current Employee - Customer Success in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Success in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Glassdoor (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of great things about Glassdoor! Starting with the mission we truly are helping candidates everywhere find jobs the love and giving them the tools they need to make the next step in their career. The people at Glassdoor are wonderful as well, the Chicago office continues to grow it starts to get tough to know everyone by name but we still have monthly new hire breakfasts, bamf and happy hours to help! Everyone is really friendly so if you need help there is always someone willing to take a few minutes out of their day to answer questions. Robert is an amazing CEO and embraces transparency with monthly all-hands answering questions and giving the whole company updates. He is super authentic and down to earth. The managers at Glassdoor are great too and are always pushing for you to succeed and offer feedback and a plan to help get you to where you want to be. At Glassdoor, you feel like you are more than just a number and your opinion is valued. It really is a great place to work!!

Cons

We are always changing the way thing are done and Glassdoor likes to shake things up a lot - not a bad thing you just have to be able to roll with the punches and be adaptable.

8. "As transparent as they come"

Current Employee - SDR in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - SDR in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

EMEA office is expanding at a rapid rate meaning the buzz about the office is electric.

You don't feel like a small fish in a big pond, higher management are approachable and ready to listen, proactive.

Not your typical run of the mill sales position, everybody within the office genuinely wants you to do well.

Cons

To 'smash targets' is almost expected, it's rewarded generously, but you feel that added pressure.

Advice to Management

Keep the transparency burning! To be kept in the know of the business operations and growth plans is powerful, it's keeps you wanting to grow with Glassdoor.

All round you're all doing an amazing job, so hats off to you.

9. "Great Company but be prepared to work hard!"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Early stages of growth so an exciting time to be in the company and a lot of potential for growth and progression
    - Still a small company so you can feel valued and your opinion matters, even if you're just a new member
    - Not a typical cold-calling environment - more of a consultative approach to selling which helps you learn a lot more about the product / service from the beginning of your career
    - A lot of nights out and company social events to enjoy
    - Relatively young team so there's a lot of energy and the culture is great
    - Great people to learn off and grow as a sales person
    - BAMF
    - Pizza Fridays
    - Free Snacks, beers, wine, VitHits

Cons

- Work life balance can be difficult at times and quota does not change if you have paid time off so this can be very stressful, especially for new starts which causes people to work unsociable hours and weekends
    - Promotion timeline and criteria has been very vague so expectations aren't properly set for new joiners

Advice to Management

- Have clearer expectations set for new joiners for promotion
    - As we start to grow, try to maintain the culture (BAMF, Kuddle etc.)
    - Be more realistic with quotas so that people don't feel guilty for taking time off

10. "Sales Development Representative"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor is full of great people who you can learn from. The culture is great with plenty of social events. There are plenty of benefits, from unlimited annual leave, private health insurance, a good pension scheme and pizza on Friday's.. We also have free snacks (crisps, popcorn, cans of coke, vit hits, fulfill bars, pistachios etc). We also have a fridge of beers, wine etc.
    The EMEA region is expanding so there are lots of opportunities to learn, grow and apply for new roles.
    The location is right beside Stephens Green in Dublin 2 so very central and easy to get to.
    Overall it is a great place to work, the team are all very supportive and are able to have a laugh!

Cons

-Promotion timeline has been unclear and vague, so expectations were not set properly for new starters which leads to disappointment and frustration.
    -Quota is quite high and can be stressful. You don't get quota relief when you take time off, so it is hard to hit your monthly quota/targets. The workload can be a lot and pressuring.
    - If you don't hit quota, your commission isn't great
    -Work/Life balance can be hard to maintain at times due to high quota

Advice to Management

-More transparency with regards to promotions and timelines
    -Each individual should be managed differently
    -Try to maintain the great culture we have as we continue to grow and expand!