Google Employee Reviews about "big company"

Updated 16 Jun 2020

4.4
Google CEO Sundar Pichai
Sundar Pichai
4,750 Ratings
Pros
Cons
  • "Big company politics sometimes get in the way of progress(in 369 reviews)

• "Has some of the disadvantages of being a large company(in 212 reviews)

Reviews about "big company"

Return to all Reviews

"Manager"

I have been working at Google full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people, awesome culture, lots of opportunities

Cons

Starting to have big company problems. Lot of people trying to justify their jobs. Politics is some areas. One has to work hard to project their work. Few managers are just people managers with no clue about what advertisers really want and how Google's awesome product can solve advertiser needs.

2. "Awesome place to work"

5.0

I have been working at Google full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great culture - Smart people - Intellectually stimulating

Cons

- Becoming a big company

"Great place to work"

Software Engineer in Bangalore

I have been working at Google

Pros

Great place with lots of extra perks and benefits.

Cons

Big company structure. Lots of documentation required for everything

4. "Google program manager work review. It is truely the best company to work for, ever!! Regret leaving my first job!"

I have been working at Google

Pros

Ownership, entrepreneurial culture in a big firm, fun, free food, lots of travel, high budgets, parties, growth, good prospects

Cons

big company, need to prove yourself to succeed, too much ownership so it's bad if you are used to being told what to do, how to do things rather than finding your way on your own.

5. "One of the best places to work and build your career"

Current Employee - Business Acquisition Manager in Gurgaon, Haryana

I have been working at Google full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Career Opportunities. Shifting from one team to another, one vertical to another is highly encouraged. It helps in your overall development also and the company is really vested in that. - The coworkers/peers are really smart and helpful people which again helps in the over all growth of a person. - The perks and office spaces area really attractive.

Cons

- Salary isnt upto the market stds. - It has now become a very big company, hence there are chances you might get lost.

"The best place I've worked and also the most demanding."

in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

You can't find a more well-regarded company that actually deserves the hype it gets. You'll work on cutting edge projects / solve important issues that impact your community and the world You'll meet interesting people who are your colleagues, managers, and senior management. You'll open the paper and see your company in the news almost every day, and read about projects you're working on, which is a cool thing You'll see Larry and Sergey at TGIF and you'll admire how they lead the company. They are brilliant, goofy, low key but intense, and likeable. There are 22 cafes (more or less), the food is excellent, and it's free. Your pay will typically be competitive, though it needs to be tweaked up a bit since the economy has improved. Google cares about how it treats its employees. The campus is like an academic campus in many ways. There are tons of activities on campus, like authors speaking about their books, films after work, and gyms where you can work out - but you'll need to make sure to carve out time to do these things. You'll get plenty of external validation from people who suddenly think you're smart and rich because you work there, even if you're not rich and you're as smart when you didn't work at Google. If and when you leave, you'll never regret having that company on your resume. It opens doors. The company is flexible - if you're lucky, you won't have a micromanager boss and you can be somewhat flexible in how you work - but don't get me wrong - you'll work a LOT. But you don't have to do all of it chained to your desk.

Cons

I live in SF so the commute can take between 1.5 hours to 1.75 hours each way on the shuttle - sometimes 2 hours each way on a busy day or rainy day. That means being on the bus for 3-4 hours PER DAY. It's a wired bus though which means you can work on the way to Mountain View. But it can feel brutal. Your first year or two are really important in terms of your career at Google and they affect how you're viewed, and your ability to be promoted. You should always ask to work on high profile projects. If you don't get them, don't expect to get high ratings or get promoted. Always volunteer for cross functional group work for maximum exposure, and then work hard at those things. You'll likely work on something that no one will explain to you and it will take you at least a year to be comfortable doing what you're working on, even if you're super quick at learning. No one has time to train you or teach you what you're doing - which is kind of hard. After two or three years, people you started out with at Google start to get promoted. If you're not one of them, you'll wonder why and how it happened, and that process is somewhat political and not always clear. It's a big company now. And super political. So don't be naive. Expect some people to be catty, some people to be territorial, and be prepared to be mentally tough. Don't let people see your vulnerableness. It's a Darwinistic culture with a huge dose of 30-something idealism on top which can fool you into thinking that people are easygoing - they're not. They're driven. If you're not driven, you're not going to fit in. When you start at Google, it seems like peer reviews are super important - they are, but they are the sprinkles on the fro yo. The important thing is that your direct manager knows your work, likes your work and likes you, and then you can get promoted. If your boss doesn't like you, all the positive peer reviews in the world won't help you. Make sure you know what your boss wants, and give it to them. You will have weekly one on ones, and make sure you are addressing your performance at each one, asking if they have questions, how you can improve, can you work on cross functional projects, etc. It's really hard to find work life balance at Google. The workload is huge. I hardly have time to work out. The commute is brutal. My family sometimes needs more from me and I can't give it. I'm still trying to find the balance. I think I need more down time than most people so I have a hard time being structured every day to fit all the things I want into my day, so a lot of things slip, like working out.

Continue reading
  7. "Best big tech company"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Tel Aviv-Yafo

I worked at Google full-time for more than a year

Pros

Incredible people, incredible attention to details, state-of-the-art tech

Cons

Very big company, small cog

8. "Great company for programmers"