Cover image for Groupon
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Groupon Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated 12 Nov 2021

Found 92 of over 4K reviews

3.6
Groupon CEO Kedar Deshpande
Kedar Deshpande
Pros
  • "Wonderful Culture and no dress code(in 164 reviews)

• "work from home and helpful mentors(in 91 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Management and work-life balance good(in 51 reviews)

• "Sudden decisions by upper management(in 92 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about Groupon

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 2.0
      Former Employee

Human resources

12 Nov 2021 - Human Resources
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pretty chill atmosphere overall in office

Cons

Super political environment between upper management

2. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Job Review

7 Nov 2021 - Software Development Engineer II in Warsaw, Masovia
      Business Outlook

Pros

* self-development package * great team and helpful manager

Cons

* Group layoffs - the entire branch was closed less than a year after its creation.(due to COVID-19 problems) * Lack of clear communication from the upper management

3. Join the Groupon team
      See Our Latest Jobs
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best Experience of my career

20 Sep 2021 - Data Analyst in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture of Groupon is tremendous, the people are helpful. The work life balance is great.

Cons

Sudden decisions by upper management.

5. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

29 Sep 2021 - Merchant Development Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The people and culture are great - Awesome managers who truly care about your growth and place within the organization - Great place for first job out of college - Work - life balance is stellar. You are logged out at 5pm everyday

Cons

- Pay is stagnant and low compared to other companies with the same job function - Long promotion cycles. - No merit raises - Upper management seems disconnected with our day-to-day and it impacts their decision making for our wellbeing (realistic compensation packages/commission) - Business's focus is changes a lot, which can be fun if things were actually successful with each new initiative. We are constantly pivoting. - Over-communication of irrelevant items which causes important items to get buried in the bunch - Clients can be disrespectful and hard to work with. Sometimes we have to deal with their frustrations from being forced to do certain things with their campaigns, which makes it harder to work with some. - Feedback to upper management feels like it falls on deaf ears. Sales targets progressively go up with no changes to pay even though it has been communicated that pay is unsatisfactory. It feels like our concerns and feedback are not directly addressed or danced around when we are talked to about our feedback.

2 people found this review helpful

Groupon Response

Thank you for taking a moment to leave your feedback! We agree, our culture and our people are a huge part of what makes us a great place to work. Following the pandemic, we’ve made changes to our operating model to pursue our best path forward - being such a flexible, fun, and fast-paced organization means that sometimes, communication can come too little or too late. We hear you, and it’s an area we’re always attempting to improve through team/department/organization All Hands, weekly business updates, and 1:1's with your manager. We hope you feel comfortable sharing this feedback with your manager, larger leadership team, or anonymous pulse surveys moving forward. We truly value your insight and your contributions to Groupon. Every piece of feedback helps us improve the employee experience for everyone!

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Not a company to grow long term at

31 Aug 2021 - Merchant Development in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

--Unlimited PTO and work life balance heavily promoted: very flexible managers promoting taking time off to prevent sales burnout, competitions to win half days/full days, general sense of time off to enjoy. Feel very respected with the unlimited PTO.  --Great direct management: direct managers provided with good tools to coach and help grow sales reps, great initial learning skills for sales cycle -Initial upward mobility --Good starting job out of college and strong company brand recognition.  --Fully remote for sales (could be seen as a pro or con depending on the person)  --Very easy to hit quota, nobody even has to try that hard to get it. Good pay for how simple the work is. --Good benefits  --Great diversity and inclusion program, very open minded and makes this a priority for employees

Cons

--Awful upper management: specifically at an RVP level in Merchant Development, they don't provide any follow up or action taken within the department, we are treated very immaturely (for example, we are sent reminders on how to turn on an out of office signature - seems demeaning for teams that have been here for 4+ years), another RVP sends daily emails about personal reflections/life coaching which feels inappropriate --Rude communication from other departments that seem to work against you (specifically Risk Management who berates sales reps daily and even gets in fights with sales managers- about everyone on my team has gotten yelled at for spelling a name wrong in emails, etc.) - doesn't create an inclusive workspace --Groupon doesn't seem to put businesses first, it shows with merchant retention and new business --Very slow and not a lot of work - our team has asked to take on other verticals or projects since some days we have less than 1 hour of work given our vertical is so slow. Doesn't seem to be a general desire for management to help teams find additional work. --Trajectory of business/business outlook not strong --Promotion cycle for roles is tedious and vague (has taken some reps 3-4+ years versus some at 8 months)

Groupon Response

Thank you for taking a moment to share this thoughtful feedback with us about your experience. As we prioritize becoming the daily habit in local commerce, we're glad you're with us, helping fulfill that mission. That said, we're sorry to hear about your experience with your management team. We hope you feel comfortable sharing feedback on your experience with your manager, larger leadership team, or anonymously in a monthly pulse survey moving forward. We value the experience you have as an employee, and it's important to us you feel heard. Thank you for everything you do here at Groupon!

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

29 Aug 2021 - Assistant Buyer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Unlimited Time Off Fun happy hours

Cons

Not much room for growth. Terrible upper management that does not understand how to grow the company. Everything depends on what team you are on. I would not recommend working here

1 person found this review helpful

Groupon Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your time at Groupon. We're glad you enjoyed our fun & flexible culture during your tenure! That said, we're disappointed to hear about your experience with your personal career development. The growth of our employees is important to us, which is why we offer such a robust internal mobility program. We understand that working at such a fast-paced and rapidly growing company can make communicating feel difficult. We hope you have had the opportunity to discuss these concerns with your manager. Thank you for your contributions to Groupon, and we wish you the best of luck in your next adventure!

8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great office, not so great management

11 Jun 2021 - Anonymous Employee in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great office Loved the energy and the working environment Best set of colleagues I ever had

Cons

Chaotic at times No transparency with the upper management You might grow in you are in luck, some great and talented people have not seen good growth and other who were not so talented who maybe just got lucky got the chance. So career progression not very well managed. Not very flexible when it comes to working from home. Still very old school HR practices in place.

9. 2.0

Political

20 Apr 2021 - Buyer in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun environment, 'ok' pay, unlimited PTO

Cons

Very political. People always gossiping about everything and everyone, including upper management, and you never really know what's going on with the company. Overall, not a positive work environment, rather toxic.

10. 1.0

Good for the unambitious

6 Jan 2021 - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Pretty good pay/benefits - Progress is so glacial and deadlines are so lax that you won't have to work hard - Work life balance is excellent. I never worked nights or weekends

Cons

- A manager frequently yelled at people, and this behavior was tolerated. - Nothing changes. Upper management made the same promises of change on my first day that they made on my last day. - Your opinion only matters if you have a high job title. - Even if you have a high job title, your opinion only matters if it does not rock the boat. - The hiring bar is low. Consistently poor performers are not fired. It is frustrating to work with poor performers and it will slow you down, especially as an engineer.

11. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good to start with... Bad to end with

30 Sep 2020 - Business Development Representative in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked for Groupon for about 2 years, so this info will be regarding pre and post covid19. -Honestly, they give a pretty great training program. I feel like my sales skills were really improved over time with their structure and the way they initially train their reps. -Free snacks in office (though they were limited) -Good benefits and "unlimited PTO" (post-covid19 unlimited PTO was pretty much non existent and you had to get PTO double or triple approved weeks in advance) -Great peers and coworkers (for the most part) -Fun in-office environment before covid19

Cons

-company is going downhill -upper management and management in general have no idea what they are doing -micromanagement that seems to be getting pushed from C level employees -major changes in commission structure (started out making a decent commission percentage, then they changed to a smaller commission percentage with a larger base pay, then they took commission away all together and only paid on launched deals -they are always doing some weird sneaky things with your money (I've personally had to call into HR to receive bonuses that were missed on their end, and I had a coworker that was missing nearly 5K in commission) -the merchants you will reach out to are either out of business or HATE groupon -they encourage you to harass merchants to the point of legal threat -constant Zoom meetings to chat about "feedback" on the new program Groupon has laid out... employees give challenges on how their newly enforced pitch has been going over with merchants while upper management tells reps that they just need to do better and keep pushing -petty petty petty environment, everyone is talking about someone else, make sure to have all your ducks in a line because even if you have something in your personal life, Groupon managers will bring it to your professional life -no real sense of a promotional process, I know successful reps that have been exceeding metrics for months going on years and are still not promoted, while other reps that got lucky with a high selling deal get promoted or low performers get moved to a customer service roll instead of getting fired -awful communication overall -Groupon as a company is corrupt, they lied to their investors about where their money has come from and I know numerous current and former employees that are caught up in lawsuits with Groupon

3 people found this review helpful