Hair Cuttery Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 5 March 2019

Hair Cuttery CEO Dennis Ratner
Dennis Ratner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "walk in clients, free education (not the best, IMO), good if you are a new stylist" (in 31 reviews)

• "Great opportunity for FREE education" (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • "Otherwise amazing salon leader gives weekend days off and works with you" (in 17 reviews)

• "Only minimum wage or commission" (in 16 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Cherry Hill, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Cherry Hill, NJ (US)

I worked at Hair Cuttery part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Has great education classes offered for free

Cons

You get paid commission and minimum wage if you don’t pull in enough clients

Advice to Management

Provide hire minimum wage and commission

Hey there New Jersey!
    Thanks for your kind words - we are happy that we are able to offer free
    cutting-edge classes...with the addition of our new color line, this should increase your ability to... More

2. "Great company to work for!!"

Current Employee - ASL
    Current Employee - ASL

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Unlimited commission ,free
    Education and flexible schedules

Cons

Should
    Offer Health Insurance benefits not just supplemental

Advice to Management

I’ve been with hair Cuttery over 12 years and would really benefit from having Better health benefits .Suplemental isn’t enough .

19 Mar 2019 – Director of Associate Relations

Thanks for the 5-star review! It means a lot to us that after twelve years with us you still love being a part of the HC team. As an Assistant Salon Leader, you play a key role in making us a great... More

3. "Wake up & smell the coffee Management"

Current Employee - Master Stylist in Valley Forge, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Master Stylist in Valley Forge, PA (US)

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Easy to grow clientele if you're a good Stylist

Cons

Not managed properly , micro managing rules & regulations. Has turned into a joke . Similar to Kindergarten

Advice to Management

So many talented (with 8-18 yrs in the company) stylists have left your company in the past 2 yrs you need a revolving door. How are uou ever going to reach that budget that YOU USED TO BRING IN? Never. Its so sad. 10 yrs ago, that used yo be a good placr to work. SOMEONE hot GREEDY at the top. Taking more & more away from the employees & especially THEIR PAY CHECKS. While upper management is driving around in Mercedes ...yet their Faithful Employees are on Public Assistance ! What is wrong with THIS PICTURE? Damn Shame

19 Mar 2019 – Director of Associate Relations

Hi there, wow! - so disappointed that you've been with us for more than ten years but think so poorly of the company! We're hopeful that over the past ten+ years that you found some enjoyment in... More

4. "Unwelcoming and not accommodating."

Current Employee - Hair Stylist
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist

I have been working at Hair Cuttery part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is well the longer you work and if you have a book.

Cons

Management will overwork you and require "approval" to change hours.
    Cleanliness is 1/5 stars. When you address this to a manager and district leader they will reassure you this happens everywhere and wont do anything to resolve it.
    New hires with no book aren't allowed to have appointment hours for rebooking.
    Management mostly unplesant.
    If your salon is understaffed you aren't allowed sick days or vacation days (unless it's for management).

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees before you lose them.

19 Mar 2019 – Director of Associate Relations

Hi there! Thanks for giving our CEO the thumbs up! Our CEO is a Salon Professional so he knows the importance of creating a positive environment for our professionals and our guests!

Humm...the... More

"Pay attention and truly support the salons that are struggling"

Current Employee - Salon Leader
    Current Employee - Salon Leader

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They claim to be, "The Love Company". They have a lot of ideas to make salon professionals and salons successful. They offer lots of education.

Cons

They pay attention to those with happy stories and who are succeeding instead of those who are struggling and begging for support.
    There are overworked salon leaders who are very underpaid. No major medical insurance, just supplemental.

Advice to Management

It may be a good idea to listen to the stories of challenges and struggles of those who want to succeed. Why not visit those salons for a week or two to see where there are opportunities for improvement? It's not a one size fits all solution. Why not use the approach that is taught to leadership and apply that to those who have will and skill, even those who have will and no skill to either empower or explore to find solutions tailored to those situations? Make yourselves truly accountable for the successes and failures of your leadership team and salons. It seems that if there is a concern or complaint, what is offered is lip service without true engagement. Visit those salons whose leaders really want to succeed and offer them real support. Maybe then, if you do, there wont be such a high leadership turnover. Pay your leadership better, its embarrassing to find that there are salon leaders who have to work two jobs to make ends meet when they have so much responsibility as it is to run a salon to standard and expectation.

19 Mar 2019 – Director of Associate Relations

Hi Salon Leader, thanks for leaving a comment - your advice to leadership is very thoughtful and heartfelt.

Yes, it is easy to celebrate and pay attention to the happy stories, but stories like... More

6. "Love What You Do and Love Where You Go Everyday!!"

Current Employee - Specialist in Port Saint Lucie, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Specialist in Port Saint Lucie, FL (US)

I have been working at Hair Cuttery part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I went to hair school by chance, I made it to Hair Cuttery by pure luck!! It is a plae where you can go and make your life plan, any way you just make your decision. They give you all the tools you needs to be successful. They educate their managment. Which in turn gives you the tools you needs to make clients happy and when clients are happy, that means you are doing a good job and are recieving refferals and your making money!!!

Cons

You have to sharpen your tools, look profesional, and just do it.

Advice to Management

I have great management, so I will not be much help here.

19 Mar 2019 – Director of Associate Relations

Hey there! I am going to borrow your headline "Love what you do and love where you go everyday!"

So glad to hear that things are going well - you are 100% correct that when your guest are happy... More

"Good Bad Ugly Beauty Buz"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Education , Good Tips, Good Products, Good Locations,Good Advertising,

Cons

Low Prices, Pricing not explained well to clients or stylists, Not all management is trained

Advice to Management

Make sure your SL and ASL are trained. Many are NOT. Price List needs to explain what packages include, Stylist do not understand how to charge for color - do we charge for extra bowl for toner? or charge for a glaze? why cant we charge more for a blowdry that takes us 45 mins to do, vs one that takes us 20 mins to do?

19 Mar 2019 – Director of Associate Relations

Hi there! Thanks for taking the time to leave a review and being a part of the HC family for more than five years!

Thanks for the shout out regarding our educational opportunities, products... More

"Fun Place to Work"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Gambrills, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Gambrills, MD (US)

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work
    Get lot of walk-ins
    Good tips
    Good products

Cons

Very sales oriented
    Commission levels are low
    Stylist don't get paid enough for how much work they put in

Advice to Management

You should raise the commission levels so stylist can benefit more and receive better paychecks. Too many people leave Hair Cuttery.

19 Mar 2019 – Director of Associate Relations

Thanks for leaving a review! We are happy that we are a fun place to work where our salon professionals can showcase their talent while making our guest feel special and beautiful!

The nature of... More

"Going down hill"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Walk in’s help you build a clientele, you learn how to do men’s clipper cuts better than beauty school,

Cons

It has become a retail sales job. It’s not about quality haircuts at a value price anymore. It’s only about what you can sell people. The customer can’t walk In anymore without being peddled over priced hair product that costs more that the services they received. It’s driving away regulars.

Advice to Management

All of your senior stylists are going to go booth rent if you don’t give them a pay scale that is steady. The health benefits are horrible. You can’t get other insurance because your company offers insurance. It’s not real insurance and you put your stylists in debt over a doctor visit. No 401K match anymore. No holiday bonus. Not even a company party or lunch to thank us. Fast food restaurants can guarantee these stylists a higher and more consistent paycheck. You have to sneak around your co workers and be cut throat and steal clients to put food on your table. Keep this ride going down hill and these fancy chain barber shops popping up all over will have you shut down in a year or two.

19 Mar 2019 – Director of Associate Relations

Thanks for your candid review. Naturally, we love the pros that you listed :-)

The goal is to offer quality service, show the guests how to use the products that were used during their service so... More

"hairstylist"

Pros

walk ins, good for beginner stylists

Cons

they don't value their employees, huge turnover