Handy Service Professional Reviews

Updated 10 Sep 2020

1.3
Handy CEO  Oisin Hanrahan
Oisin Hanrahan
  1. "Unfair termination and fees"

2.0
    Former Freelancer - Handy Professional Cleaner in New York, NY

I worked at Handy for less than a year

Pros

I can work when I am able to and can do daily cash out

Cons

They don't have the best understanding for people with epilepsy and the fact that my seizures come spontaneously. So I get charged lots of fees when I am unable to work due to injuries. Also they never told me why they say I breached contact. I have had good reviews from them and my clients.

Continue reading

"Worst company to work for!!"

Former Contractor - Cleaning Professional in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Handy for less than a year

Pros

Easy set up that is all

Cons

I don't even know where to begin. Let's start with the problems I had while working there. #1. The cancellation fees: If you have a job that is let's say $50 bucks and you cancel within 48 hours you get charged $25. If you cancel the day of a booking you get charged $50. Even if you were in contact with the customer. That $50 dollars doesn't get reimbursed to the customer they'll just get someone else to do the booking for them. On that note... You have limited options in which booking you can pick. Let's say there are 2 options on a Friday and I can only pick up one of those bookings because they're at the same time. If the customer cancels ON YOU they get charged a fee as well like you would if you cancelled on them but in this case the cleaners are left without a booking for that day because they passed up other ones for that one. That fee the customers pay for cancelling on you doesn't even exist to you. Now you're left with no money for that day and Handy just got paid a bonus at your expense. #2 The app Constantly needs an update. Glitches out all the time. I have to open and close it at least 5 times sometimes to get it to work right. #3 You're promised bonuses for completely X amount of bookings for the week and won't receive it unless you contact customer support... Which I still never received after getting a automatic response. #4 The GPS is wack. #5 No number for customer support and it takes at least a day for them to contact you back. #6 They don't take into consideration their employees safety and well being.... #7 Half the houses you clean are some of the worst you've seen... Hoarders, animal poop and pee,weird people just watching you, and you're expected TO BRING YOU'RE OWN SUPPLIES... I don't mind using my gear on light cleaning but if I have to use ALL of my stuff because your home is that bad... I need money to replace the things I ruined for cleaning certain places. I can go on and on... But now I want to go on why I was fired. a lot of these people like I said are hoarders and completely disorganized I have had great ratings and I show up early to each one of my jobs and sometimes I even stay late. Majority of my customers favored me and book me more than once. I had one customer who was one of the most disorganized men I've worked for. When I showed up he didn't even know why I was there he didn't even think he ordered handy. Anyway the gentleman leaves and doesn't come home by the time I booking is done. I get a message saying I'm being accused of stealing some gift cards. I reply to the message telling them where exactly the gift cards he's looking for and how many gift cards I seen what company they were for etc. They thanked me for my response but the next day they fire me. I understand someone accused me of theft you don't know who to trust .I get it but my big issue is I responded and asked well I still need my $30 bonus from last week that you never paid me on top of that I have a $10 tip that is still lingering in that account. Altogether handy owes me $40 and everytime I email them to get this they don't respond to me. Yet they have emailed me two times in one weekend with the same automatic email stating that I'm being terminated. Now I'm pretty upset because I have emailed them at least 15 times asking about my money that they owe me no response from them at all. I move this week across the country. This was my main source of income and I REALLY NEEDED MONEY FOR GAS. I've had a great track record with their platform and have regulars established. They even wanted to book me outside of handy so they could only pay me yet I still insisted they go through Handy. I regret that now but I still have their numbers.

Customer Experience Manager

We thank you for your honest insights regarding the Handy app. This will help us improve our services for years to come. Fees are set in place to discourage any last-minute cancellations. This is to ensure that the job gets done for its scheduled date and time. However, we understand that sometimes, some jobs are a bit too overwhelming for some pros. In these instances, it would be best to reach out to us so that we may be able to sort things out. Although it may take time for us to respond, we can assure you that we are constantly thinking about pros and how to serve them better. As for expenses, please note that as professionals that use the platform are independent contractors, supplies, tansportation, and other expenses must be shouldered by the professionals themselves. Regarding your payment and standing on the platform, please send us an email via prosupport@handy.com and we'll take a closer look into the matter.

3. "Flexible schedule"

4.0
    Former Contractor - Professional Cleaner
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Handy

Pros

Weekly pay with direct deposit and the pay was nice also. Pick when you would like to work and time.

Cons

Clients cancelled a lot and no benefits

4. "Poor Administration"

Current Contractor - Professional Cleaner in Miami, FL

I have been working at Handy for more than 3 years

Pros

I’ve work with handy for about 4 - 5 years now when they first expanded to Miami and there isn’t a great many pros that I have except the amazing versatile clients you meet along the way. Actually one of the only reasons I still continue to suffer at the hands of Handy are my clients.

Cons

However there are a many cons - but I’ll try to keep it simple. Contact and communication - First and foremost let’s begin with contacting handy. The only way to contact them is through an email - which is terrible. They say that they aim to respond in minutes to urgent matters but it takes them days (literally). Another downside to this is that most of the responses are robotic - copy and paste sort of stuff. Tell me how can they compare and empathize with other human beings when all the responses aren't even genuine to the person your speaking with? I don’t actually believe they read the emails at all because half the time the response has nothing to do with what your inquiring about. Now that really grinds my gears! But wait this is the best part of the first con if you really look and continue to email them your email then gets bumped over to another person so In the end your replying to about 8 different people who are computerized. Great huh . Second but not nearly the last - Location. I’m not sure what GPS or MAP they use but west palm beach and Miami are different. Almost all there jobs say the general area of Miami Beach but they end up sending you to Miami Lakes. I am one that likes to conserve and not drive out of 20 minutes to get to a location. So when I pick jobs I’m very skeptical of the general area. I’ve picked jobs that said Miami Beach but was down in homestead and I’ve had to cancel because that’s just too far to travel for a measly 45$. I’d spend half of that on gas and tow alone and make 20 bucks busting my butt cleaning. Another downside is they don’t display the address until after 10:00 pm EST for me, which by then cancelling I’d be charged a fee. Third and it’s just the beginning the pay. Now as stated above I’ve been with handy for about 4 years and maintained a 5 Star rating completely a great many jobs and kept my clients content and I’m still at 15$ an hour. They say there top pros make up to 22$ I call bull. The company fails to remember that us (the workers) are the ones who not only have to buy products in abundance to keep things flowing but also most of the places we travel to we have to pay for parking or valet park which can take a nice chunk of our pay not including the gas or travel expenses we incurred such as tolls. So out of a $45 dollar job which is what the majority of there work is your really only making 25$ bucks... Fair I think not ! To be quite frank about this Handy is Eating off of us contractors but that’s a another number to pick with. A lot of the payment for the work doesn’t seem fair. They also estimate the time to complete the job but only add on 1 hour more for laundry not anticipating that the customer has bountiful baskets full - now I’m not sure about other but half the time I never can complete all the laundry and have to leave it in the dryer drying because guess what DRYING TIME MATTERS AND OCCUPIES THE MAJORITY OF LAUNDRY TIME. Also the paid extras were not getting paid enough to go inside someone’s cabinets. Most times everything is full and it’s time consuming, not to mention hard work removing everything to wipe it down then put it all back. There’s a many insincerity’s on Handys part especially for us WORKERS. I’m sorry I do private clients at 1/2 for 80 and sometimes out in 2 hours but for handy a 2 hour job is only worth 30$ in there eyes, why you ask. Well because us Independent Contractors are the ones cleaning up Defecated NASTY toilets and not them. They cease to remember that cleaning is a very active task that involves a great deal of hard work and were not important to them because they look at it like I’ll permanently deactivate them and find another. Modern day Slavery is what I call it. Fourth - they take the customers side over anything. Instead of doing a better investigation of situations they automatically take the customers side over the contractors. For instance today I was assessed a 95 $ fee for no show plus a 45$ fee for being over paid when I emailed them proof that I did make it to the job and screen shots of all the calls and messages of me trying to contact the customer. Til now no response. So that’s a bummer. Like I stated above I have 5 stars and great outstanding reviews if they actually took the time to realize some clients are just sleeze balls. They only aim to protect themselves and the clients not the professionals who do the job to keep the clients coming back. HANDY PLEASE REMEMBER WITHOUT US PROFESSIONALS WHERE WOULD YOU BE - NOT SITTING BEHIND THAT DESK BUT BUSTING YOUR BUTT TIL YOU CAN HIRE CLIENTS. There’s no protection in place for us and it’s super duper sad because all these years I’ve made excuses for the company repeatedly saying they slowly making changes they’ll set something up for us after things are stable and years later here we are with the same crap. It all fall back on poor administration, terrible communication and zero justification. My Fifth and final reason only because I’m getting carpal tunnel typing this out Is the FEES. They literally hit you with any fee they can, cash out fee late arrival fee, no show fee overpaid fee. You name it they got it. Like I said HANDY IS EATING OFF US WORKERS. Charging clients hundreds of dollars to give us 45-60-75-or 93$ and forget it if you picking a 100$ job your slaving for 8 hours in that place no joke . I’ve had clients complain to me about there fees and all I can do is apologize about it. As I said before there quick to assess a fee but not look at the GPS they have in place for check in or the proof the professionals send them. I know we live in a shady world with many greedy people and it’s hard to differ who’s being honest and who’s wearing a mask but handy doesn’t have a clue that they are the biggest scammers. They are very misleading constantly updating the policy but there’s never an email notifying you of the policy change. It takes an hour for the wages to show up in the handy app but a fee will show up instantly. It’s discouraging because I’m really contemplating leaving all my customers behind because they hit you one after another especially with overpaid and Noshow even when you do show up so it’s sad. I can’t even publicly comment this review without feeling like they will ban me because of belittling the company. It’s hard to hear your flaws but just like everyone it should be stated so constructively grow as a company. They really hit you when your down and sometimes I’m forced to work for free because they fail to see the proof right in front of them - which question handy would you like to work for free because of a wrongfully put charge? Probably not. Therefore I’m going to start a petition against handy and how they wrongfully hold us workers in contempt. I’m going to file a complaint to the BBB and wages and labor of my city and hopefully outshine you as a company building and progressing my own building upon the mistakes you fail to adjust! I certainly have a bundle of more cons to your company but I’m just the worker so I’m unimportant.

Customer Experience Manager

Thanks for your hard work being an Independent Service Provider on the Handy platform for more than 4 years! We'll be sure to share this with our team here at Handy HQ. We're always working to improve the platform for all users. Our 24/7 professional support team aims to respond to all urgent matters within minutes and all non urgent matters as quickly as possible. In the map view it shows all jobs within the region you work in or all jobs 30 miles of your location that are available to claim. You can also zoom in to see the general area of the job directly in the map view. We offer competitive pay in all markets we operate in across the US, CA and the UK. We'll be happy to look into any issues you're having with your customers and we also provide pros with the tools to block any customers they no longer want to work with. Lastly, while pros can incur fees while on the Handy platform these fees can be avoided. We recommend you review the professional Terms of Use which has an entire section around fees. Please visit us at Handy.com/help if you'd like to share any additional feedback or if you need further assistance!

"They removed me after two yeas of working with out giving me some kind of reason or explanation"

Former Contractor - Professional Cleaner in New York, NY

I worked at Handy for more than a year

Pros

I like the pay rate Controlled my own schedule

Cons

I have been working for handy for two years and never had a problem out of no where one day a client texts me about an missing key that I was sure I handed to doorman. I was accused and spoke and explained things to handy after them telling me everything was going to be alright and they apologize. About 3hours later I started to notice all my jobs for the weeknbwing removed. Then I notices that I was actually being removed, I was a great worker always had a good rating so when this happens I automatically assumed it was about this persons missing keys. I wrote them 1,000s of time and didn't get no answers from I was only trying to figure out what was going on and why. From my understanding if you are being fired/removed you have to be given a reason and that reason was what I was looking for everytime I wrote them. But they seriously refused to give me a reason I assumed it was about the key and they assured me that it wasn't the case. I was out of work for 3-4months before finding my new job after that happened to me and that is not something anybody wants to have to deal with when trusting to work with a company. I haven't been working for handy for a year now and still have no idea what they did what they did to me lol. I'm currently working as a spa assistance now and being paid ON THE BOOKS. Working with handy my pay was never accurate I always had money problems, within this year working as a spa assistance I have made double then what I was making being that I am not worrying about jobs getting canceled last min. My money is always accurate now and my savings is better then it has EVER BEEN. So handy some what did me a favor, made me realize the mistake I was making staying with the company for so long.

Customer Experience Manager

Hi there, we'll be happy to look into this for you! In order to do that, please visit Handy.com/help and submit a help ticket. Our professional support team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, please review the professional terms of use (Handy.com/pro_terms) you accepted with us which has an entire section around professional removal from the Handy platform.

"Handy is trash... Oh... The irony"

Current Contractor - Professional Cleaner in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Handy for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule... I guess, you'd basically have to take every appointment available and then some

Cons

Was fired because someone claimed a pair of shoes were missing. No notification, no investigation. I had been on the platform for two years and had over 725+ jobs completed with a 78% 5 star rating and this was my only source of income, which was not even sustainable. Dont waste your time. Customers are typically trash. Ridiculous expectations, but want to get the lowest time ( 2 hours) but expect a deep clean of an entire house. You can really only clean a studio thoroughly in two hours. The attitudes of a lot of these clients tend to heir on the side of entitled and rude. The way the rating system is tied in with your pay you're pretty much a slave to the customer and have to do their bidding and stay hours over to complete the job frequently. The customers typically do not care about your time and totally expect you to stay over the time they actually paid for. Dont even think about setting the correct expectation at the beginning of the appointment or in the middle or end by telling them that they did not pay for enough time, they'll almost always take offense to it and it will reflect in your tip (lack their of) and definitely in your rating for sure. Anything under a 5 star rating drastically negatively impacts your rating. Mind you, I'm probably the best at this, if not one of the very top in the Los Angeles area, Handy is trash. after transportation/parking/buying your own supplies/ and all the free work you'll have to give up, its just not worth it. When you do have problems in the field, you can only reach out via email, though they typically respond really quickly, they often write you off immediately and I have gotten the feeling on several occasions that they did not work to completely read and understand what I had wrote before they replied, often leading to a back and forth in which I an ultimately found to be correct by another employee that responds and continues the email thread later in the day. Handy is totally frustrating. Not sure if the opportunities are dropping off or if the market is flooded or both. Handy reserves the right to change their rules and operations as much as they want. Have seen much change since 2015, largely unfavorable to the workers. Used to get client information the night before, now you only get it hours before the appointment. The window for which you can cancel an appoiment without penalty has been drastically decreased, but a client can cancel on you up to a hour before and you'll only get 15, mind you that slot took up a real appointment i could've had that i expected days leading up to the appointment. Handy is trash on so many levels

Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thank you for feedback we greatly appreciate your honesty and all the hard work you've done on the platform.

7. "less then minimum wage!"

Former Contractor - Professional Handyman in Denver, CO

I worked at Handy for more than 10 years

Pros

There is NO REASON AT ALL to work with these jokers!

Cons

You make less then minimum wage for your time wasted!

Social Media Engagement Specialist

We pay competitive rates compared to similar businesses in the market. Thank you for your feedback and your time working on the platform.

""SHEEP-N-WOLF'S CLOTHING"!!!!"

Current Contractor - Professional Cleaner in New York, NY

I have been working at Handy for more than a year

Pros

You have the FREEDOM of choosing how many hrs you're willing to work.

Cons

Started out GREAT I signed up the first yr 2014, the found out from a client the APP say Handy is so convenient, don't have to get cash there's NO NEED TO TIP! but at that time there was no way 4 client to top Pros thru the APP.

Social Media Engagement Specialist

We are actively working on ways to improve the experience for the working professionals on the Handy platform. We've made many improvements since 2014, including our tipping feature where customers can tip their favorite professionals using the app! We let customers know in the Help Center that tipping is optional but highly encouraged. We've also made it easier for professionals and customers to communicate on the app to allow for better, more efficient relationships.

"Handy"

5.0
    Current Contractor - Professional House Cleaner in Austin, TX
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Handy for more than a year

Pros

I enjoy meeting new people. I like the customers who take the time to have a conversation with you. It makes the job alot more enjoyable. The pay per hour goes up after so many jobs. You also get to make your own schedule and pick the jobs you want and the location.

Cons

You have to buy your own supplies and gas. I don't like the rating system at all. Some people complain about the smallest and dumbest things and it brings your ratings down. Sometimes you meet customers who are very rude and judgemental because you are cleaning their home. A job is a job no matter what it is. I don't like how we are not able to talk to management or email about a question

Continue reading

"Yeah, Don't Fall For It"

Former Contractor - Professional Cleaner in Portland, OR

I worked at Handy for less than a year

Pros

Largely independent with booking your own jobs through the app and working on your own schedule.

Cons

Everything else. You're expected to provide your own transportation, which isn't reimbursed. You have to pay for your own cleaning supplies/tools. The jobs don't pay enough, and the listing system isn't specific enough for you to really know what you're getting into before you actually arrive. There's basically no way to contact management. There's a far-too-strict policy of letting someone go if their ratings drop below a certain percentage, with no investigation (or even letting the person know they were terminated, in my case).

Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to ensure that everyone on our platform has positive experiences. We are unsure of why you did not see our standard email communication from us, however, we are making improvements on the platform to make sure you receive proper and thorough communication at every stage, while on the Handy platform. Feedback is an important part to this process and we appreciate you letting us know.

Found 49 reviews