Headspring Reviews

Found 68 of over 69 reviews

4.3
Headspring Founder and CEO Dustin Wells
Dustin Wells
Pros
  • "Core Values that play out in reality(in 14 reviews)

• "Get to work with extremely smart people and work-life balance is actively encouraged(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Growing pains are going to happen, especially at the rate we're growing(in 7 reviews)

• "Headspring has a very fast-paced environment(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech India

Join the conversation on

Tech India

11.9K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/tech-india/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.in&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Headspring~283863
    Join the conversation on
    1. 5.0

Great company

Sep 20, 2021 - IT Administrator in Monterrey, Nuevo León
      Business Outlook

Pros

Result oriented company, great culture

Cons

benefits, salary, compensation, benefits, salary

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Bullies

Sep 17, 2021 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Safe and secure job. Flexibility sometimes

Cons

The last year at headspring destroyed any confidence I had about being a software developer and my mental health. Was told over and over that I was not smart enough, without any training or continuity of a project to learn whatever skills were missing. Spent more days crying because of the toxicity. Forced into a medical leave because there was no flexibility in taking breaks when I needed to rest. I left software development because of this company.

6 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Amazing People

Jun 3, 2021 - Principal Consultant in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love working with people who care. That is a big reason I have stayed at Headspring for so many years. We all do the work that needs doing and are happy to support each other.

Cons

As a small company that is looking to grow, mistakes are made but we are open and flexible to adapt.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to work for all around

Mar 2, 2021 - Account Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, Competitive Salary, Unique Sales Opportunities, Work Remote

Cons

One of the downsides of working remote is the great environment that we had previously at the office. That being said, the fact they were so flexible and considering during Covid really shouldn't make this a con.

CEO

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with feedback! As you’ve noted, our Company Culture is one of our proudest accomplishments. Its strength is because of the people behind it, like you. Our goal will always be to stay competitive in salaries as well and that takes transparency from everyone involved. Covid definitely put a wrench in our everyday sociability with co-workers, but please know that we actively look for opportunities to fill that gap virtually, and we are already planning how to revive, if not improve, our interactions once the pandemic is over. Business is an ever changing landscape and feedback like yours lets us know if we’re hitting or missing the mark, so again, thank you for taking the time to let us know how we’re doing.

5. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Just another IT outsourcing company

Jan 8, 2021 - Senior Consultant III in Guadalajara, Jalisco
      Business Outlook

Pros

- You get excellent tools to do your job: great hardware, all the required sw resources - There is a genuine interest in delivering with quality, and everyone in the company encourages you to continue learning and constantly share their knowledge to help others find the best way to build solutions, you will work with brilliant and dedicated people who actively want to improve and enhance their projects. - Above average PTO with 18 days a year from the start, plus 3 days of sick leave and another week of furlough in December

Cons

- Employees in Mexico are not compensated fairly, you can expect to earn less while working more than someone in a similar position in another company, and even lead a team while earning less than everyone else in it, including external contractors located in MX as well - The company does not provide full law benefits, expect to have less than 50% of your actual income reported as such to the government (mixed scheme or "fiscal strategy" as they call it) and as such, to pay higher mortgage interest rates and receive lower contributions to your retirement and housing plans, as well as paid medical leave - While employees in the US have competitive salaries and market adjustments occur periodically, this has never been done in Mexico, and although the company has been given this feedback many times by employees in exit interviews, they continue to do nothing about it. In the past two years 30% of the team in Mexico left for this reason, none of them was replaced and they've been unsuccessful in hiring developers ever since. - While its not common, you can be placed in a project that is under budgeted and understaffed, asked to work overtime during nights, weekends and holidays on a regular basis, and when you ask the company about how the overtime will be compensated, your superiors will literally shrug it off and tell you all they can do is give you 50% of the time back, which you might not even be able to take as the project continues to be understaffed and deadlines still need to be met. The leadership is aware of this and has not taken any action to prevent it, mitigate it or properly compensate it. - Additional benefits offered by the company are not competitive, deductibles for medical insurance are significantly higher than those offered by other companies, their "savings" plan requires you to remain for at least 5 years in the company in order to make a profit and even then its not worth it as you can get better rates investing anywhere else. - They advertise a quarterly review process for giving raises and promotions, but in Mexico, they issue them every 15 months, if at all, as I know of two colleagues that left after receiving good performance reviews but no raises for over 1.5 years . - HR paperwork in Mexico is a nightmare as the company they hired to do the job is incompetent, unable to even provide pay slips in time, and even messing up deposits and insurance policy deliveries. - Most of the time you're not placed in projects where you can execute all of the expected responsibilities for your current role, preventing you from getting a promotion, which is the only way to get a meaningful salary increase above inflation - Responsibilities for senior positions increase greatly as you move forward through your career path while the compensation shrinks and you are expected to do a lot more for lower pay than a similar position on other companies

16 people found this review helpful

CEO

I appreciate your candidate feedback. We work hard to balance the needs of all of our stakeholders (employees, clients, partners, etc.) and we do not always get it right. I apologize that we missed the mark for you. This is not the experience I want anyone to have at Headspring as I value every individual here. I don’t always have full visibility into where we can get better, and I count on the contribution of our team to help me with that so you, and everyone at Headspring, are welcome to be a direct part of the solution. If ever someone feels “unheard,” do not hesitate to meet with me directly. I am always open to hearing how we can improve and get better. Your comments around compensation in Mexico are noted, and we have spent the last 3 months with two outside firms helping us understand market compensation and how we should structure this moving forward. We currently have a mixed payroll scheme in Mexico, not uncommon to our industry and based on feedback from our team in the past, that they value more cash upfront and the autonomy to invest (taxes, retirement, etc) on their own. More recently we’ve heard this may cause unintended pain points for some people. In response to this, we are exploring a 100% payroll approach. For compensation and benefits, our goal is for our team to be in the 75%+ of market compensation. We also strive to offer benefits that are comparable to larger organizations that are well over the legal requirements. Some of our benefits include: - 18 Vacation days instead of 6 - Vacation Premium 50% of the 18 days instead of 25% of 6 days - Christmas Bonus 30 days instead of 15 - Major Medical Insurance instead of just Public Social Security - Savings fund 5% - Food Vouchers 5% - Optional 10 year retirement plan 3% paid by Headspring In saying that, we know we can always get better, and we will always strive to do so. We are absolutely serious about our commitment to ‘finding a better way’ together. It’s the promise we make our clients and we believe it starts with the value we create for our people. Thank you again for your feedback. I encourage you to be a part of the solution if what we design misses the mark. We also invite feedback from candidates that are considering Headspring for the next step in their career. We will continue to work hard to make sure we deliver strong compensation and benefits, an outstanding culture, and a place where you can learn and grow. Sincerely, Dustin Wells, CEO, Headspring

6. 4.0

great culture

Oct 23, 2020 - Business Development Manager in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

agile great culture startup mindset

Cons

small organization some financial instability

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not a great culture

Sep 10, 2020 - Consultant in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fair pay, office is in a good location

Cons

Weird culture and if you're not in the in crowd they treat you like an outsider. They are bullies and elitist.

6 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate when former employees give us feedback that we can act on to continue making our company culture stronger and more vibrant. I agree with you that tenure isn’t necessarily a sign of a great internal culture, but I think in our case it’s a sign that we are doing something right. To make sure we have our finger on the pulse of our culture, we run several surveys each year to get feedback from our team. Additionally, we look to external organizations, like the Best Places to Work for in Texas, to help us see how we’re doing - and we’re so proud to have been recognized for eight years in a row on that list. As you might remember, “Own Your Experience” is one of our core values, which empowers each of us to contribute to creating an environment that is inclusive and supportive of everyone. I hope while you were here with us that you took advantage of our many internal channels to raise your concerns and that you helped to contribute to areas where we could improve. My goal in founding Headspring was to create a company where our team members can bring their full, authentic selves to work, learn and grow faster than they can anywhere else, and bring our core values to life in how we serve all of our stakeholders (co-workers, clients, partners and the community). I appreciate your feedback as we’re always trying to find ways to get better.

8. 5.0

A Place You Can See Yourself for a Long Time

Oct 30, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Headspring cares so deeply about their values. From very intentional career planning to leadership meetings everyone can listen into to random pancake breakfasts, you see the values everyday from the biggest and smallest of actions. There's a lot of developers in this world that have god complexes. None of those types of developers are at Headspring. There's so much intelligence and expertise here, but there's just as much humility and excitement to teach. I feel like everyone here is rooting for my success and ready to help whenever they can. All the benefits are great - solid amount of PTO (on top of week of Christmas off), work from home Wednesday's (or whenever you need), flexibility work hours, catered Friday lunch... the list keeps going.

Cons

No company will ever be perfect, but Headspring is really great at fixing a problem whenever something comes up.

1 person found this review helpful

CEO

Wow! Thank you for sharing your experience. It really moves me when we receive real feedback that highlights the culture we’ve succeeded in creating. I love what you said about our collective “humility and excitement to teach” and that “everyone here is rooting for my success.” I feel that support myself, every day— and it feels good to know that we have each others’ backs and that we’re on this journey together. I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to share your experience. I’m sure it will resonate with others who share the same values.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome Company to Work For

Oct 30, 2018 - IT Consultant in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

People will value you here. They care about helping you grow and the company is very transparent. Everyone is super nice here and it's a great uplifting environment to work in.

Cons

I don't think there's any cons- everyone cares about each other and constantly tries to improve the work place and each other.

CEO

Thank you for taking the time to share this! I’m proud of what we’ve created together and I think you’ve hit on two key points that keep us thriving: 1) enabling personal growth and 2) making sure that people are valued. Those happen to be two of our Core Values, and as an employee at Headspring, you know they’re something we take very seriously: we don’t talk about values, we live them. I also love that you called out our desire to constantly improve - it’s something I’m personally committed to and I’m glad that comes through. We’re always wide open to feedback and I really appreciate you sharing your experience here.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Plenty of opportunities for growth

Oct 30, 2018 - Consultant in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are lots of opportunities to learn and grow at Headspring. There are awesome benefits, PTO and flexibility. They really want you to have a great work/life balance because people are valued. Headspring is also very transparent so you know what is going on within other departments. Overall. Headspring is the place to be.

Cons

Because Headspring is growing very fast, there are lots of things changing to prepare for that growth, so there are some "growing pains", which is expected.

CEO

I’m happy to hear that you feel the work/life balance we prioritize and transparency we cultivate are real and beneficial. These things are so important to me, personally, and I think they’re essential to sustaining the culture we’ve built as we enter a more rapid growth cycle. As you mentioned, we cannot lose sight of our Core Values as we grow and of the thing that is most important to us: our people. As we talked about in our most recent all-hands meeting, while we’re growth-minded, we will only grow to the degree that our values and culture are not compromised. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here and for reinforcing our commitment to growing the right way.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 68 Reviews