HealthTap "long hours" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

HealthTap Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated 7 Mar 2017

3.2
HealthTap Chief Executive Officer Bill Gossman (no image)
Bill Gossman
Pros
  • "There are some *VERY* smart people here who come to work every day super motivated to make things happen(in 12 reviews)

• "They are super excited about what they are doing and mission driven(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Tough to find a work-life balance(in 10 reviews)

• "You have to be passionate about your role and the product because it is long hours and a large commitment(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews

"I see the next generation of HealthTappers changing the culture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

The people you work with are energetic and capable. We are pushing the boundaries of health care to new realm. The in-flush of new HealthTappers are alleviating the demanding work load. If you check your ego at the door, this is a great place to really change lives for the better.

Cons

Some of the negative reviews do have their base. - You get calls from work at night, at weekends. True, but I haven't got one for months. - You work long hours. True in the past, the work hours is much better now. - The management are delusional --> Plausible, but this really depends on how you define dreamers.

HealthTap2017-03-08

"DON'T BE FOOLED"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at HealthTap full-time for more than a year

Pros

The mission COULD be great. Some of the most talented co-workers in the Valley that end up being your best friends. Have the opportunity to learn a lot and quickly...at least at first.

Cons

Like many other reviews say: long hours, terrible (WAY below market value) pay, poor upper management w/ egos that are preventing the product from advancing forward, deals from being closed, and you most certainly will not get those bonuses that are written in those shady contracts you sign (doctors, employees, and partners alike). If you find a mentor that likes you or who at least recognizes your talent, you may do okay here...at least for a little while (but be careful who you trust, because at the end of the day the people at the top will do anything - and I mean ANYTHING to protect themselves and the company - no matter what you've done for them professionally or personally. Fabricated data, false promises, lack of follow through and execution is the way this place operates. Watch for red flags if you are considering joining this place or partnering. Publicly posting and saying that Trust and Transparency are company values is laughable and should be a crime. Do your due diligence and ask the right questions and explore EVERYTHING (including the product). It has the potential to be great, but some things certainly need to change for that to happen. Trust your gut.

HealthTap2016-09-08

March 6, 2017HealthTap Talent & Happiness

Thanks for your interest in HealthTap, helping millions live healthier, happier, longer lives. We want you to have an accurate picture of what it's like to work here, and one that’s based on data and facts (rather than the misleading assertions above). We don't have set hours, but our core business hours are Monday through Friday 9:30 - 6:30, and working late or on weekends is not required. We do recognize and reward employees who choose to “walk the extra mile” and voluntarily elect to work beyond the core hours, but it’s not mandated. At HealthTap we passionately believe that it’s all about the output and the measurable results, not about the input. We encourage our employees to accomplish the targets and goals they’ve willingly taken on themselves, so they don’t feel they need to work beyond business hours. This is why we will continue to foster a healthy sense of urgency that helps our team focus on what matters to deliver the desired results that are changing the world for the better. To make sure we're on top of market changes, HealthTap now reviews compensation in relation to market trends regularly. Individual salaries are also re-evaluated in connection with reviews. Where offers include discretionary bonus compensation, it is our goal to help employees achieve success and to pay out 100 percent of bonuses when earned by measurable results. We're happy to report that last year more than 90% of our bonuses were paid in full (following a formal review process). Beyond base pay, our benefits package is among of the most generous and comprehensive of any startup. We also provide valuable stock options, fully funded healthcare (medical, dental and vision), subsidized gym memberships, catered meals (lunch and dinner), a 401K plan, weekly in-office massages, healthy snacks, and much more. Beyond these benefits, we also provide the opportunity to work, learn from, and grow professionally alongside some of the best peers in their fields, and provide internal leadership and individual growth opportunists to employees. We measure our success, and other measure us by delivering on our promises, to ourselves and to our partners, with accurate and independently verifiable data, and a consistent discipline of rigorous follow-through. It’s how we’ve secured some of the best partners and investors in the world. Executing on the promises we make to our partners and customers is what keeps these partnerships strong, year in and year out. Lastly, our values are trust and transparency are an integral part of our everyday work life and culture. Each week we host an all-hands meeting where any question about the company is welcome publically. We also use our business weekly meetings to share highly confidential information with our team. Anyone can ask their manager any question at any time, and no question goes unanswered. This culture keeps everyone well informed of our rapid progress and our successful global partnerships, our widely used products, and the most important developments and leading edge innovation. At our weekly team meetings we also share data across the company and with all teams. We do this so that we are all on the same page regarding where we stand and what we need to do to achieve our goals. We don't have to share as much as we do, and most companies wouldn't divulge this much information outside of senior management. But we believe it keeps our team motivated about our shared goals. You're invited to visit HealthTap to speak with our employees directly and experience our culture and values first hand – please contact us and we’ll arrange a visit at your convenience. Real people and tangible experiences are the best representation of who we really are.

Continue reading

"Great company with an amazing mission"

I have been working at HealthTap

Pros

Cool product, food, gym membership, strong leadership team, AWESOME people to work with

Cons

You have to be passionate about your role and the product because it is long hours and a large commitment.

HealthTap2015-04-30

"A company you can take pride in"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

Over the Thanksgiving holiday I thought a lot about what I'm thankful for. Jobs haven't always been on this list, but it was this year. I'm thankful for it because it's more than just a job, the company is doing good, it challenges me and gives me something to be proud of. I have always wanted fulfillment from my job, but had pretty much given up on finding it until his company. I am thankful for being fulfilled personally and professionally in what I do, and I understand now this is pretty rare.

Cons

Working here is not without some challenges. Mostly, I think this can be summed up as follows: this is a hard working place with high expectations with a small group doing a lot of work. The "long hours" I've heard about are exaggerated. Right now, the hours are manageable, but you will see long hours around releases (everyone) and there are some people who are here all the time by choice. Because those who choose to work long hours regularly stay in the office rather than work from home, you will need to learn to work well with others in this position if your peers or team lead are among them.

HealthTap2014-11-30

"Poor management, megalomaniac CEO, ridiculous work hours"

I worked at HealthTap

Pros

As it's been mentioned, there are some phenomenal people working at HealthTap who are very kind, enthusiastic, and idealistic. But idealism and enthusiasm will only carry you for so long when the management is extremely poor, the product is bad, and the work expectations are ridiculous.

Cons

Just to be clear, I wasn't asked to leave HealthTap. I'm ambitious, I want to do something meaningful, I graduated from a top school, am a very hard worker, and was very qualified to do my job. All the writers in the (fake?) 5-star reviews who say those who complain about HealthTap just weren't a good fit or are haters or aren't ambitious are really wrong. Those of us who quit HealthTap started out very excited about the mission. And willing to work long hours. But seriously, you can only work until 2 am so many times before you can't do it anymore. And on the weekends. It's not necessary to work this many hours to build a phenomenal product. But what you need is strong team leadership and a solid product. HealthTap has neither. As has been stated, a sense of urgency is stressed constantly, which really just results in a lot of people running around like chickens with their heads cut off. I was made to work until the middle of the night days in a row when I was sick and on days I had asked to take off to rush out projects deemed absolutely necessary. Which were then NEVER launched. This happened numerous times. Bugs were reported and never fixed. But new ideas and new projects kept getting pushed without the structure built underneath them to support them or any real rationale why they needed to be launched in the first place. They just sounded fancy. No project can get pushed through without the CEO personally looking at it, which basically means it doesn't get pushed through. Or if it does, you'll be waiting for it all day, then get an email at midnight telling you it's finally approved and you have to send it through right now. But wait, the engineers needed to launch it are in India and they're asleep anyway. So you need to stay up and constantly send them emails and badger them until they launch it. Except they'll then have no idea what project you're talking about, or simply just refuse to do it. So then that project will get shelved, along with everything else that was deemed essential and necessary to work through the weekend on. So those of us who quit just got tired of hearing about how important the work we're doing is, but really never seeing any results. And being called out publicly in meetings in front of the entire company. Seriously, who does that? And maybe we just didn't want to sit through multiple "team" meetings a week that are really just an excuse for the CEO to stand in front of the room and talk at everyone for over an hour, telling the same pointless stories that are all about him and how important he is, but meaningless to the success of the company.

HealthTap2014-11-18

March 6, 2017HealthTap Talent & Happiness

Thanks for your interest in HealthTap, helping millions live healthier, happier, longer lives. We want you to have an accurate picture of what it's like to work here, and one that’s based on data and facts (rather than the misleading assertions above). To learn about what's it's like to work with us, we encourage you to visit us to meet some of our fabulous team members who would be delighted to tell you the truth in their own words. We recognize that in a group of ambitious committed people running a startup (which is what Margaret Mead said is what it takes to change the world) some people will choose to work intense hours. However, it isn't, and never has been, required at HealthTap. We’re committed to building a company for hundreds of years, and we see our journey to make the world a better place as a marathon (but we also recognize that in order to win we sometimes need to sprint). To make our journey ambitious but sustainable, we’ve instituted a standard work day (9:30 - 6:30, Monday through Friday) because we don't believe an employee has to work around the clock to build a phenomenal product and service. At HealthTap we passionately believe that it’s all about the output and the measurable results, not about the input. We encourage our people to accomplish the targets and goals they’ve willingly taken on themselves so that they don’t feel they need to work beyond business hours. This is why we will continue to foster a healthy sense of urgency that helps our team focus on what matters to deliver the desired results that are changing the world for the better. Late night and weekend work are not required (and today this is much less common than in the past) but we reward and recognize employees who at their own will choose to do above and beyond when they choose to do so. We are driven by a sense of excellence and artisanship and (like many startups) some people do choose to work more, but they shouldn't do it because it's required or expected, but only out of excitement to fulfill a mission or because they feel they’re learning and growing and having a lot of fun! We do encourage employees to write authentic reviews about the company – because it’s a great way to celebrate their experience at HealthTap, spread the word, and attract top talent. As for our product, HealthTap has been the most productive team in healthcare and one of the fastest to launch innovative successful products in Silicon Valley. Beyond serving highly satisfied partners and customers all over the world, we’ve been able to create an innovation machine that launches dozens of successful releases every year. To learn more, feel free to visit our media page (in our About HealthTap pages in our apps and website) where we aggregate all the media stories about our product releases. You're invited to visit HealthTap to speak with our employees directly and experience our culture and values first hand – please contact us and we’ll arrange a visit at your convenience. Real people and tangible experiences are the best representation of who we really are.

Continue reading

"If you want to be treated like crap, this is the place"

Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at HealthTap full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free Food Nice people mostly Good company mission

Cons

Long hours and abuse Culture of fear Six day weeks, most employees at work all hours You can't leave the office even for an hour, so looking for new job is hard Sense of urgency is confused with progress CEO gave Ted talk on power of smiling, which is strange since everyone is terrified like beaten puppies.

HealthTap2014-10-11

March 6, 2017HealthTap Talent & Happiness

Thanks for your interest in HealthTap, helping millions live healthier, happier, longer lives. We want you to have an accurate picture of what it's like to work here, and one that’s based on data and facts (rather than the misleading assertions above). We’re working tirelessly to make sure that all our employees are treated well at all times. Treating people well is extremely important to us, because we recognize that our team IS our success. We have an inspiring vision of how to change the world for the better, and help people everywhere live healthier, happier, longer lives. We believe that health and happiness go hand in hand, and know we can't achieve that vision without a team that's also healthy and happy. Many of our most admired traditions (like our free chocolate store and our employee led runs and exercise sessions) come from individual employee initiatives. Our founder and CEO Ron Gutman also started a tradition of "thanks and agrees" where every week during Town Hall on Fridays, employees at HealthTap recognize each other for the great work they’ve done this week. Employees can also ask any question they want about the company that fosters a culture of trust transparency and openness, which is part of our core values (see hour Vision & Credo in the About HealthTap section of our apps/website). HealthTap has a healthy culture of trust, hope, and collaboration. We support employee well-being in many ways, through our generous benefit package including sponsored gym memberships and catered healthy meals, and through in-office wellness activities, and employee sponsored initiatives. We make it a priority and spend tremendous resources to help our team members thrive and feel good every day. We’re also located in downtown Palo Alto which makes it very easy for our employees to access all necessary and desired services nearby, and go out in the evenings together. We don't have set hours, but our core business hours are Monday through Friday 9:30 - 6:30, and working late or on weekends is not required. We do recognize and reward employees who choose to “walk the extra mile” and voluntarily elect to work beyond the core hours, but it’s not mandated. At HealthTap we passionately believe that it’s all about the output and the measurable results, not about the input. We encourage our employees to accomplish the targets and goals they’ve willingly taken on themselves, so they don’t feel they need to work beyond business hours. This is why we will continue to foster a healthy sense of urgency that helps our team focus on what matters to deliver the desired results that are changing the world for the better. Our CEO is open and honest, and regularly provides genuine feedback based on data driven performance. At the same time he’s highly compassionate and supportive and helps people around him improve and excel every day. Highly driven and ambitious, he has been recognized by the World Economic Forum and other luminaries as one of the most important leaders in the healthcare, was chosen Goldman Sachs as one of the 100 most intriguing entrepreneurs, and was featured by CNBC in prime time in their “Disruptors” series. He is recognized internationally for his commitment to public service and giving back, including being been honored at the International Conference on Transforming Healthcare with IT in Bangalore India. He was selected by Stanford University as an Entrepreneurial Thought Leader and volunteers time mentoring and teaching entrepreneurs to help the next generation of innovators. Ron also gave a TED talk on the power of smiling that has become one of the most popular TED talks of all time. While most other founding CEOs of healthcare startups have systematically stepped down from their leadership roles over the past years, Ron has continuously been highly motivated, persistent, and stable as he continues to lead HealthTap from strength to strength. You're invited to visit HealthTap to speak with our employees directly and experience our culture and values first hand – please contact us and we’ll arrange a visit at your convenience. Real people and tangible experiences are the best representation of who we really are.

Continue reading

"Bad culture, bad leadership, very long hours."

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at HealthTap for less than a year

Pros

Really nothing. One is expected to work 7 days a week and often 12-13 hours a day. CEO encourages people to stay in office very late every day of the year. Even though the company is a "health" company, you will be over worked, with little or no sleep, will need lots of caffeine and will have lots of stress and lots of frustration.

Cons

people leave in few months time because everyone has to work very long hours including sundays. and often times on saturday, they will find an excuse to make you work. there is always an emergency. wages are very poor often times less than industry standard. They promise about sponsoring H-1 and often wait till the very end and try to find excuses for not filling.

HealthTap2014-08-23

"True startup, true challenge, true reward!"

Current Employee -

I have been working at HealthTap full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've lived in Silicon Valley for several years and had always wanted to work at a startup. I get a thrill off of new challenges and opportunities for growth, and I believe startups can offer that, and then some. So far, my experience has been what I was looking for. Not only do I get to learn something new everyday, I am getting opportunities to work on projects that are expanding my knowledge base and providing me with a new set of skills. The best part? I work for an organization that is mission driven and is full of people that are working hard to change the word. REALLY CHANGE THE WORLD. It is not an east task and it’s amazing to see how committed and passionate everyone is around here. Some people want to change the world, some of us actually get to do it!

Cons

Long hours, if you consider that a con. I knew coming in that the opportunity would entail long hours to get the job done, and I was comfortable with that. Though, I’ve found the company to be flexible enough that I’ve been able to work around the long hours and still have a life outside of work, spend time with my loved ones and even go to the gym 4-5 times a week. We are also moving fast and our lines of communication could be improved. Though, I’ve worked full-time for over a decade and I’ve seen communication needing improvement everywhere, from big to small companies, fortune 500s to family owned. To turn a con to a pro, I also want to tackle improving that! In summary, the GLASS will only be empty if you choose to see it that way. It is up to each individual to make the most of what they have. Startup life is NOT for everyone so if you rather stick to standard work hours, be provided with all the information you need to get the job done, and have the type of structured job that doesn’t stretch you, then this may not be right for you at this time. Startups can’t be startups for life and processes and improvements come from time, experience and a better understanding of what’s in front of you.

HealthTap2014-04-30

"Amazing ride with a great team"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at HealthTap full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, management, business plan and prospects. This company is fulfilling a huge market need, growing fast, and has already saved over 10000 lives in the process, how cool is that?

Cons

Long hours, but well worth it

HealthTap2014-01-06

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 9 reviews