Holiday Extras Employee Reviews about "call centre"

Updated Nov 19, 2020

Found 16 of over 196 reviews

3.5
Holiday Extras CEO Matthew Pack
Matthew Pack
Pros
  • "Holiday Extras really care about welfare of their staff and everyone looks out for each other(in 27 reviews)

• "Flexible hours, can work from home, time banking all help with childcare needs plus a great working environment and really lovely people(in 26 reviews)

• Cons
  • "It's been mentioned before and HX can say all they want that it doesn't exist but it does(in 21 reviews)

• "Call centre not appreciated and treated different from rest of company(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "call centre"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

They don't care about staff all they care about is lining the owners pocket

Nov 19, 2020 - Insurance Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

the only pro of working here was leaving at the end of the day

Cons

When offered the job we were told you would only work one weekend a month, what they mean is you'll work every weekend except one, you never get two days off together (except on your one weekend off a month), it's a stressful environment to work if and only being allowed one day off at a time allows no relaxation or downtime. The management team in the insurance cc are snakes, the will be nice to you face and stab you in the back, whilst discussing you and your private business with other colleagues( non-management ones). The goal post is consistently moved and you are expected to answer calls for two other insurance companies ( good to go insurance and white horse) whilst getting no extra benefit for it( these do not count towards your monthly sales target). The insurance cc is highly regulated, and you have to jump through hoops whilst being paid a basic salary the same as members in the airport cc who have no legal statements to make and also have a much easier job. Insurance staff are treated like 3rd class citizens, you are sold this fallacy that this company offers you so many extras, when the reality is you are excluded from taking part in 95% of everything because you work in a call centre. No career progression opportunity unless your friends with the right people or sleeping with the right person

Group People Director

Thank you for sharing your feedback, we really appreciate it. We’re really sorry that you didn’t enjoy your time as an Insurance Consultant. Creating an engaging and motivating environment is really important to us and we’re sorry you didn’t feel that you experienced this. All our customer roles have flexible working patterns so we can help our customers when they need us. Our intention is to make this transparent and to do our best to balance the needs of the business with the individual. We see all our customer roles as requiring their own unique set of skills and there are regular opportunities to discuss performance and feedback. Taking this into consideration, we consistently review incentive schemes across all our customer roles to ensure they’re appropriate and fair. You mention some behaviours that in no way reflect the environment we work hard to create, we will share your feedback with the relevant managers, but to understand the specific examples it would be helpful if you can get in touch with us at kwakeman@holidayextras.com. Thank you again for sharing your feedback, we wish you all the best for the future.

2. 2.0

Yes people

Sep 28, 2020 - Travel Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home and profit share

Cons

Call centre not appreciated and treated different from rest of company

Group People Director

Thank you for your feedback. I’m sorry to read your comments about the Contact Centre. The CC are at the frontline of our business and we value the contribution of each and every person. Like many companies during this time, we’ve had to take some very difficult decisions, including making redundancies. While the decisions in themselves were contrary to how we normally operate as a business, having explored all viable alternatives, we had no choice but to reduce the size of our team. In doing so, it was important that we created a process that treated people with fairness and compassion throughout. Please be assured we did everything we could to make people feel valued and supported so they could leave with the dignity and respect they deserved. We also continue to offer support through our HX Alumni group on Facebook. If you think we could have done better and would like to provide specific feedback, please do email me at kwakeman@holidayextras.com. If I don’t hear from you, I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you for your contribution to Holiday Extras and I wish you all the best for the future.

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Wolf in sheep’s clothing.

Sep 21, 2020 - Marketing Assistant in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get paid a ‘living wage’ Profit share

Cons

Work in the call centre and the entire business looks down on you. The way the call centre is run is a very negative environment, but speak out about ways to improve, and it’s like your forming a coup and they gang up on you. Staff favouritism. They claim to look after their staff and pride themselves on being a times top 100 company to work for, yet when it comes to putting their money where their mouth is, they’d rather keep it than pay you a respectable redundancy. They claim to have a ‘family vibe’ but in reality you have to be popular to get into the ‘family vibe’ to even consider being treated fairly.

3 people found this review helpful

Group People Director

Thank you for your feedback. I was very sad to read some of your comments and would like the opportunity to discuss these with you further so I can get a better understanding of your experience and what we can do differently in the future. I was particularly sad to hear your comments about working in the Contact Centre. The team is a highly valued part of our business and we strive to create an environment where everyone can feel empowered to express themselves openly and contribute ideas to how we work. To your point about some of the difficult decisions we’ve had to make recently, please be assured that these were in direct response to the fast and unexpected changes Covid brought to the travel industry. They are not something we would have done otherwise. We are however, extremely conscious of the enormous impact it has had on our people during this very difficult period of change. Like many businesses, we never saw this coming and have lost some amazingly talented people who offered huge contributions to our culture and business. As with any period of change, we tried our utmost to support everyone with compassion and dignity during this time. If you have specific ideas on what we could have done better, please reach out to me at kwakeman@holidayextras.com. If I don’t hear from you, I want to thank you for your contribution to Holiday Extras and I wish you all the best for the future.

4. 5.0
      Former Employee

Good Employer

Oct 9, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really care about you and what you think about the company

Cons

Can be somewhat dry in the call centre

Be the first to find this review helpful

Deputy CEO Holiday Extras

Thanks for your review. It’s great to hear your feedback about caring for our team. Our amazing people are key to our ability to provide the best service to our customers so investing time to make them feel valued is really important to us. We’re sorry to hear that you felt this way about working in our Contact Centre however - as the frontline of our business, we try our best to make everyday engaging for the team. If there’s anything more specifically we can do, let us know by emailing us at people.team@holidayextras.com with your suggestions.

5. 5.0
      Former Employee

Travel consultant

Mar 26, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing company, lots of benefits, profit share, free bbqs, parties, well being week, Christmas and Halloween dress up, birthday off as paid

Cons

Call centre very separate to the rest of the company

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Brilliant company to work for!

Dec 5, 2017 - Insurance Sales Agent in Folkestone, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Holiday Extras helps you to become the best you can be, with lots of opportunities to progress within the call centre. It is a very positive company to work for with lots of fun events to involve everyone and you always feel supported and guided within your job role.

Cons

Full timers still work at least 1 day most weekends however we can work mobile so can work from home so this doesn't make this as bad

6 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Travel Consultant at Holiday Extras.

Dec 11, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

HX really do have a lot of things right as a company, from equipping and trusting everyone with Apple Macbook laptops that can be used at home for personal use as well as work to spontaneous summer BBQ's to amazing fireworks displays offering free food and beverages for all staff members and their families. The training is second-to-none, quite possibly the best I've had going into any new job, the trainers really care and the setup/methods used really installed confidence before going on the phones. Finally the people are really what makes HX the place it is, the people I have met in all job roles from CC(contact centre) staff to the CEO himself are friendly, fun and really great people, I honestly cannot name or think of one person I dislike.

Cons

Now for the not so goods, and there are a few I'm sad to say. Firstly, there is an apparent divide between the majority of the company and the CC. There are many fun things that go on that often CC staff find ourselves the only ones that cant participate as we mustn't leave our post on the phones. Almost all areas seem to have an hour lunch where they can partake once again in several activities, we are limited to just half an hour. I personally don't mind the half an hour lunch break, but fail to understand why there are different standards between different areas. Working hours - now this really is an issue that I and 90% of CC staff I speak to are unhappy with. Up until recently we worked a standard 8 hour day 5 days per week as full time members which seems quite common in call centre work, no issues there, however now we are expected to work 8 hours and 45 mins for 4 days, whilst having one "half day" usually in the afternoon which throws a lot of peoples daily chores/plans after work out the window. Whilst 45 minutes may seem somewhat trivial, there was no real communication down to CC staff other than receiving our weekly rota with the new shifts in place. CC staff are the only ones expected to work these shifts whilst managers, the planning team and all other roles in the hierarchy remain on the same shifts as before, a classic case of expecting the bottom rung to do things that they wont themselves. Finally I have seen MANY people leave recently, people who were long term fixtures in HX as a result of many of the points already stated, quite simply they had enough. Other members are actively looking to leave, with myself also looking down avenues away from HX. When I started at HX I was sold on the fact they pride themselves as a company on staff progression and work/life balance, but as far as progression goes, I see a LOT of "external appointments" over people who have given everything for the company because obviously externals better right? And the work/life balance, it was great but small things are slowly taking away from this and it saddens me to write this as I genuinely loved the workplace when I first started.

2 people found this review helpful

Associate People Director

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, we really appreciate your honesty. We were saddened to read that you have concerns and we’d like to help you regain some of the great feeling you had when you joined. We’re really open to receiving feedback and it’s important that people feel that they can be as honest as you have been and talk to us face to face. Off the back of our latest engagement sessions we have scheduled additional buzz sessions to further listen and discuss what actions we can work together on to help improve the experience in our Contact Centre team. Your involvement in these sessions is instrumental so we hope you’re able to work with us. If you’d rather speak to someone individually, you can always speak to your manager, any of the Contact Centre Management Team or the People Team - our door is always open.

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Travel Consultant

Dec 4, 2017 - Travel Consultant in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The other travel consultants! I made a lot of friends. Shame most of them have left now. Bbqs, firework displays, parties, hx xmas day, not that the contact centre gets to attend any of these things.

Cons

So being in the CC ( contact centre) you are bottom rung in HX, and they make you feel it! The CC miss out most of the " fun Hx experience" because the organ grinder won't let anyone have time off the phones. HX have lost a shed load of fantastic talent within a year just because of poor management! I actually cannot count how many good team players who have been at HX for a number of years all jacked it in. The travel consultants are over worked and under valued. The targets are a joke and customer service has slipped. HX are very good at training you up to go for a job thats coming up, then going with a complete outsider, many people have fallen for this! Leaving people feeling deflated and unappreciated. It used to be such a lovely place to work and I used to love it; but no one seems to be questioning why they are losing staff? Why are they losing key players and big personalities? Because CC management changing has made people hate coming to work... Why would you get rid of whole team from the call centre? One minute they saying we should really push car hire and transfer, the next the whole team has been disbanded! Its safe to say they all left the company rather then go back to airport. The CC now feels tired, lifeless, its a sad place,where people are constantly worried about the safety of their jobs, forced to work ridiculous hours for an average pay. Where favouritism and bullying are rife!! Its very sad. Lets just say that the HX values and ideals are a fairytale, nothing more. Apart from the villians because they are quite a few of those!

Associate People Director

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We’re sorry to hear some of your feedback and wanted to respond to some of the specific points raised. As a fast-paced business there will always be changes in the team and we try our best to minimise any disruption this may cause. It goes without saying that our Contact Centre managers put the team at the heart of everything they do, so they were very sad to hear this feedback. We are a little surprised by your comments about the Contact Centre being tired and lifeless as we put a lot of work into making sure that the culture and work environment here at HX is inviting and full of energy. We’d like to understand more about this if you’re able to get in touch with us. We’d love for people to be able to attend every single event but we also need to balance this against the needs of our customers. When planning events, we try and cater for different teams so that people can attend most of them. We also provide food and treats in lieu of people not being able to come along to help them feel included. If you have any ideas about how we can do better however, we’re really open to suggestions. Finally, we were concerned to read about some of the more serious claims that you have raised in your review. To make it clear, we do not tolerate bullying in any way and take any accusations of such behaviour very seriously. We foster an open environment for people to feel that they can share and relay any concerns they may have. We hope that you were able to do this with the People Team or our managers while you were here. If you would like to reach out to discuss your concerns in more detail, please email our People Team at people.team@holidayextras.com

9. 1.0

Travel consultant call centre

Oct 31, 2017 - Travel Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Get given an Apple Mac laptop, give good pay and good benefits. Luckily I had lovely people on my team. Shame the jobs AWFUL

Cons

If you work in the call centre your treated horrifically in every way... if you have an angry customer there is a department trained to take those calls yet they tell you to deal with it yourself! Clearly don’t do they’re job properly... unrealistic targets and awful one to one training. ( if you actually got the once a week/ once a month training they say your meant to) They don’t care about you as long as they’re making money. Very unsociable hours. Had the worst time working there and would not recommend it in the slightest

3 people found this review helpful

Associate People Director

This feedback makes us really sad as this is not the experience that we want people to have. As a fast paced, customer focused business, people are at the heart of what we do and we strive to help people feel appreciated and rewarded for the contribution they make. We work very hard to ensure our Travel Consultants are supported and have regular 1-2-1 time with their managers. Our focus over the last couple of months has been all about empowering our Travel Consultants to have the skills and confidence to be able to resolve customer issues so that they can help our customers on that first contact. The feedback from our recent engagement survey within the CC was that people feel very positive about being empowered and we are continuing to support our Travel Consultants to have the confidence to do this. It would be great to have the opportunity to discuss your feedback in more detail. Please feel free to get in touch with the People Team if you would like to do this.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee

Positive and uplifting working environment

Jun 12, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

For call centre work the company make you feel important and create a good working environment. The culture of the company is also very good.

Cons

Working on the phones can sometimes be repetitive but that is the nature of the work.

Be the first to find this review helpful