Holiday Extras Employee Reviews about "flexible working"

Updated Nov 20, 2021

Found 30 of over 204 reviews

3.7
Holiday Extras CEO Matthew Pack
Matthew Pack
Pros
  • "Great Team ethic and flexible working philosophy(in 30 reviews)

• "I still remember reading these reviews before applying to Holiday Extras and how much of an impression they made on me(in 30 reviews)

• Cons
  • "HX seriously needs to hire more POC - the entire company seems 95% white(in 24 reviews)

• "Treated worse than dirt if youre in the call centre(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "flexible working"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Account management

Nov 20, 2021 - Partnerships in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Team ethic and flexible working philosophy.

Cons

Not many disadvantages to mention

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Almost gave up my long career as a Software Engineer after working at Holiday Extras.

Oct 2, 2021 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working, can't think of anything else.

Cons

Holiday Extras is one of the worst kinds of places to work at. Everybody is smiling and acting friendly to get you to believe that they are there to support you and to create this "We are one family" atmosphere. However, everything is absolutely FAKE. When I first started, I was told that I will be supported in learning and progressing further in my career. However, their progression/feedback system doesn't really allow for much progression, especially if you don't know the right people there. Basically, every three months they do 360 degrees reviews where your team members have to give feedback on how well you've done and what you can improve on. I really don't mind constructive feedback. However, this constant peer feedback promotes competitiveness and toxicity amongst everyone. Every single small mistake you make will end up on at least one of your feedback forms and hence on your progress report. And of course, will hamper your progression. This very slowly ruined my confidence as a Software Engineer completely. And the worst thing is that it happened so slowly and unnoticeably that I ended up thinking that it's all me, that everyone else is really nice and that maybe I am not good enough in whatever I was doing. On top of that, I got bullied by a team member. And when I informed my manager, all she said was "Oh well but she's been with us for a long time now and she is a very good developer." And when things got tough during Covid and redundancies had to be made, they were like "Oh we care about all of you. We will create an alumni Facebook group and as soon as things get better, you will be the first to be re-hired." That was, of course, a BIG FAT LIE! None of us - the people who were made redundant and who have been loyal to them for years was hired back. Honestly, being made redundant by Holiday Extras was one of the best things that could have happened to me. It took me a while to gain my confidence back but I am really happy now in my current company. It's nice to feel appreciated.

4 people found this review helpful

Holiday Extras Response

Thank you for your review. Fostering an authentic culture where everyone feels valued, included and recognised is a priority to us. We’d therefore like the opportunity to speak to you in more detail regarding your comments about bullying, as we do not tolerate this in any form at Holiday Extras. If you are comfortable doing so, please contact me at mclarkecowell@holidayextras.com or any of the People Team with your preferred method of communication and we will get back to you ASAP. We’d also like to talk to you about your experience of our 360 feedback process. The intention of asking for peer support is to provide a broad spectrum of feedback to help each person develop and progress. The feedback is centred around the person’s strengths as well as their areas of development so that it is balanced and provides clear areas of focus for growth. The process takes place every 6 months - you mention that for you, it occurred more frequently, so we’d like to discuss this in more detail with you. In reference to your points about the restructuring process - due to the impact that Covid had on our industry, we were devastated to have to make people redundant. As part of our recovery, however, we have openly shared opportunities to rejoin our team via the alumni group and have made a number of re-hires as a result. We really hope that you are able to get in touch to further explore the points raised in your review. If we don’t hear from you however, we wish you all the best for the future.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee

A good place to start your career and gain knowledge and professional experience.

Jul 16, 2021 - SEO Copywriter in Hythe, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working environment, positive and inclusive company culture.

Cons

Not so clear career progression opportunities.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee

Jun 25, 2021 - Software Engineer in Folkestone, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working, good work culture

Cons

Could do better on progression of employees

5. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great place

Apr 15, 2021 - Call Centre
      Business Outlook

Pros

flexible working hours for the team

Cons

short lunch breaks and strict rules if late

6. 2.0

Disappointed is an understatement

Dec 21, 2020 - Delivery Manager in Gillingham, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are fantastic, atmosphere and knowledge is second to none. Flexible working and ability to be heard at senior level is regular.

Cons

Well what can I say I worked for a company I loved for 16 years. I did not have a performance review for the last 4 years yet I was selected for redundancy based on certain criteria. I asked for a copy of this which I never received. On multiple occasions I specifically asked how I was measured against others and was told “it’s just a score” so I still have no idea why I was made redundant. I asked if there was a review process or how I could take this decision higher and was told that’s it. My manager hasn’t spoken to me since my redundancy meeting and has not reached out to thank me for years of service or asked how I am. Just being a human being wouldn’t have gone a miss. To top it off the CEO sent me a card to thank me for all the hard work and I was in meetings with him every week and my name was wrong. This made me feel very appreciated so thank you. I am not angry at being made redundant I appreciate this needed to happen to save a business I cared about. The treatment and hostility I experienced throughout the process was horrific and I was shown no care throughout.

6 people found this review helpful

Group People Director

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are really pleased that you feel the people, atmosphere and knowledge at HX is second to none. We love having a flexible and engaging environment for the team to work in. We’re really sorry that after 16yrs of hard work and commitment you left feeling this way. This is of course not the experience we pride ourselves on creating for our people. Thank you for your understanding surrounding the need to reduce the size of the team, it was an incredibly difficult period of time, with so much uncertainty and we know we asked a lot from our people whilst we navigated our way through. The process for selecting individuals for redundancy is incredibly difficult, especially when we’re losing fantastic people. It wasn’t something we wanted to do and worked hard to create a process that was both fair and respectful to our team. We’re sorry you found this experience difficult and felt you didn’t receive the support and care you needed. If you would like to discuss the scoring and criteria to better understand why you were selected please do email me at kwakeman@holidayextras.com so we can arrange a time to chat this through. Travel continues to be disrupted, but we have a great strategy to drive growth for the future and Matthew is keen to see as many people back working in the team as possible. I want to thank you for your contribution throughout the last 16 years. I wish you all the best for the future, if there is anything you need please do get in touch. We’re supporting those that have left as much as we can with CV advice, interviewing techniques and if any new roles become available at Holiday Extras we are speaking to HX Alumni first.

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Nice building and surroundings, but poor communication and management

Dec 9, 2020 - Delivery Manager in Hythe, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working, Profit Share, nice surroundings, free parking.

Cons

Poor management, lack of opportunity, poor communication around business standing during COVID-19 pandemics.

4 people found this review helpful

Group People Director

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, we really appreciate it. We’re really pleased you enjoyed some of the benefits of working at Holiday Extras. It would be great to understand more about the areas you have mentioned that need improvement. We are always looking at ways to improve the overall experience, sending regular employee surveys to help us understand what is working really well and to help us identify areas for improvement, creating action plans which are then shared with the team. Please do get in touch with us on kwakeman@holidayextras.com, so we can arrange a time to chat through your feedback in more detail. If you don’t contact me, thank you for your contribution throughout your time at HX and I wish you all the best for the future.

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Old Boys’ Club

Oct 2, 2020 - Full Time Employee in Hythe, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Comfortable office environment - Flexible working - Profit share and holiday buy - Variety of events and activities for staff on site

Cons

A real old boys’ club culture prevails at Holiday Extras. The trouble is, the company has grown whilst still retaining a small business culture. Despite proclaiming to recognise and value talent, there are in fact very few opportunities to progress. Performance reviews happen irregularly and pay rises are as rare as hens’ teeth, meaning that salaries tend to be on the low side. Many of those in middle and senior management have worked there for years and all close ranks to protect each other. This was particularly evident in the selection process during the recent redundancies. There was blatant favouritism with some managers preferring to save their ‘mates’ over team members who showed real talent and potential in their roles. The company claims to have a family vibe, but the culture is more of a clique. You will always be vulnerable if you don’t fit into the boys’ club mentality and you are made to feel extremely uncomfortable if you dare to speak out.

8 people found this review helpful

Group People Director

Thank you for your feedback. As a result of the pandemic, we had no alternative than to restructure the business and we’re really sorry that as a result of this that you were affected. Losing our great people is never something we would do by choice. Whilst it has been a very difficult time for everyone, we are very proud of the team and the way we have navigated this challenge together. We are a big company, continuously challenging ourselves to think and behave like a start-up. We believe by focussing on our people, products and tech that we’ll deliver what our customers need and value and provide a great working environment for our team. As an employer of choice, supporting our people to go further and to be the best versions of themselves is imperative for us. This includes great learning and development opportunities, competitive pay (based on external benchmarking) and fantastic benefits including an annual pay review, SAYE, profit share - which prior to the pandemic we paid out even when we didn’t deliver the performance numbers to recognise our team's hard work and effort. We endeavour to ensure everyone has a performance review and work hard to ensure consistency across the Group. We are continuously iterating, so in 2021 we’ll be implementing a newer, faster post covid review process. Our intention will be that our team get more regular feedback and support for their personal growth. In terms of restructuring the business, making sure people were treated fairly was our main priority, so we put in place a robust selection process that involved a number of individuals to ensure decisions were consistent and objective. I can assure you that decisions were made purely on the criteria published during the process. I'm disappointed about your perception of a "boys club". We have countless examples of people developing their careers with us based purely on their skill, knowledge and expertise. Nevertheless, we're always open looking at specific examples of where people are concerned that this has not happened. To be honest, we’re pretty devastated to have lost many talented and much-loved members of the team and if we could have retained everyone, we would have done. Our intention is to rebuild and grow, enabling us to see many of those that have left join us again. While I see you no longer work at Holiday Extras, if you have any other feedback about your experience with us, please feel free to email me at kwakeman@holidayextras.com. If I don’t hear from you, I wish you all the best for the future.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

great company to work for

Sep 7, 2020 - Delivery Manager in Hythe, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working linking to a great work life balance, great training and development, autonomy, great friendships, fantastic values and links the company strategy to our values.

Cons

I do not have a con as I have thoroughly enjoyed my years here.

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Top Company Who Make a Real Effort

Nov 15, 2019 - SEO Lead in Hythe, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Holiday Extras make considerable effort to try and create a work environment that helps their employees thrive. They dedicate considerable resource into the welfare of their staff, trying to keep them as happy and engaged as possible with multiple initiatives focused around communication, development, reward and progression. A profit share scheme, Birthday's as holiday, company parties, flexible working hours, personal Macbooks, the ability to work from home, BBQ's and various fun little event's throughout the year, company benefits, long-service paid sabbaticals - these things all make for quite a generous package. There is an onus on encouraging employees to 'buy in' to the company and wanting to contribute as best as possible - wanting to drive success. There is plenty of give from Holiday Extras and they hope their employees want to give back. It's an approach that puts a responsibility on you. If you're the sort of person who embraces this, there is a freedom in many roles at Holiday Extras which really encourages initiative, creativity and productivity. The genuine pride in this company held by many of the senior staff is evident here. This is the quality control that runs through it and it is likewise adopted by a great many of it's employees .

Cons

I honestly think it would be unreasonable to post any cons here. In a company this size, it's impossible to make everything run absolutely perfectly and to keep everybody happy, but the steer from the top - the policies, the ethos and the effort in executing as much of this as possible, is spot on.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 30 Reviews