Holiday Extras Employee Reviews about "hx"

Updated Jan 7, 2021

Found 21 of over 199 reviews

3.5
Holiday Extras CEO Matthew Pack
Matthew Pack
Pros
  • "Holiday Extras really care about welfare of their staff and everyone looks out for each other(in 27 reviews)

• "Flexible hours, can work from home, time banking all help with childcare needs plus a great working environment and really lovely people(in 26 reviews)

• Cons
  • "It's been mentioned before and HX can say all they want that it doesn't exist but it does(in 21 reviews)

• "Call centre not appreciated and treated different from rest of company(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "hx"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

An engineers perspective

Jan 7, 2021 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

I still remember reading these reviews before applying to Holiday Extras and how much of an impression they made on me. The interview process was a sequence of video calls to meet different team members, followed by a coding challenge (a choice of frontend or backend problem) and then a meet in person and a pair-programming session. It was pretty intimidating, but I felt elated and a sense of achievement when I got an offer of employment. I don't think I've ever felt that about any other job I've taken in the past. HX is a progressive company. It's been around for decades and continually tries to improve with a culture of feedback behind it. At the time of writing, things are very fluid. We're going through a pandemic, there's no clear way out and I'm on my 2nd bout of furlough. We lost a lot of friends as a consequence of a restructure and that was truly heartbreaking. For anyone that is reading this after going through redundancy, I'm sorry this happened to you. I can only speak for myself, but I haven't reached out to many as I don't know what to say. The whole situation is so messed up. I hope we meet again on better terms one day. Our colleagues are the types of people who become friends and even family. They're very knowledgeable, kind, compassionate and fun to be around. This is what you should expect when joining HX, a team you can work with, that wants to be open and honest. I've read some of the other reviews before me and I'm surprised to read that this is not everyone's experience. As an engineer, you will experience a variety of problems to solve, predominantly using React/React-Native, Node.js and the Google Cloud platform. You'll work alongside really clever people that are always willing to pair-up and there's a real sense of teamwork to get something done. The products offered are focused on holiday assurance and insurance, and everyone loves a holiday so the product you help build is really wanted by the customer too. Unlike a lot of companies that have struggled to adapt to working remotely, HX was already ahead of the pack in this sense, having many remote workers already operating in the company. Not only is remote working fully embraced, but flexible schedules too. If you need to nip out or do something and make up the time later, there's no questioning - just do it. That trust goes a long way. When HX has navigated this pandemic, which it will in time, and you get the opportunity to join - I say seize it, hopefully you'll have a great experience like myself.

Cons

I would like to see the progression path removed for engineers, I think that the measurements used to move through the titles are subjective and the fact that there is now a hierarchy where there wasn't before will lead to more competitiveness rather than collaboration. There are some advantages to competitiveness between peers, but I think it can breed toxic behaviour and could undermine the Be One Team value eventually. I would hate to be reviewing this post in the future and disagreeing with the pro-team points I've made. I'd also like it quantified, via a survey, of how many engineers would like to keep the hierarchy vs how many have no preference or would like to see it removed entirely. I don't think the title differences should exist if the majority of devs don't actively encourage it. Now that we're a much smaller team (unfortunately), we're in the best position to implement a change such as this. Also, the salary isn't set quite right, which feels like something said in bad taste given the redundancies that have just been made and the challenges HX are facing. Unfortunately the physical location HX are set in doesn't help as you're relatively close to London and there's always going to be comparisons made. As a lot of those London candidates will have adapted to remote working, it's unlikely to ease the situation going forward either. I would like HX to reconsider the benchmarking used when evaluating salary and to be more competitive on pay, effective immediately. If the company loses too much talent due to competitiveness in the market, I fear there won't be enough knowledge left to transfer and this will cause much greater problems. The bonus was nice when it was around, I'd like to see that return when feasible, but I'm specifically talking about base salary.

3 people found this review helpful
    2. 1.0
      Former Employee

Disgusting, selfish, unfair treatment. Despicable company.

Dec 19, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

There were pros during my time at Holiday Extras but the despicable treatment of myself and others far outweighs any positives.

Cons

There is a LOT so I will bullet point (and even this is cut down because I can't be bothered). - Worst HR team I've ever dealt with. BY FAR. 'People Team'? Not a chance. No one has any idea what they're doing, there is no support, only ONE person in the 'People Team' was approachable. - It's a Boys Club. It's been mentioned before and HX can say all they want that it doesn't exist but it does. They'll make it seem like you can get far but it's a glass ceiling. They only work with men that are old family friends. No new talent is genuinely considered. If you're female, don't bother. If you're a mother, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME. - The favouritism at Holiday Extras is rife. If you're not friends with the right person (or brown-nosing the right person) you won't get anywhere. The amount of talent they have lost over the years because they're giving friends (and family!) opportunities is ridiculous. Again, if you're female, don't bother. - The whole environment is snakey and toxic now. Everyone is overworked. Underpaid. Hard-workers are overlooked (again, favouritism). It's a degrading, unhappy place to work and I wasted years of my life working there. - The decisions made as part of the redundancies this year were absolutely disgusting. The decisions themselves (i.e. who gets the absolute privilege of keeping their job and who gets the boot) were DESPICABLE. How the senior leaders and managers who made those terrible decisions sleep at night I don't know. How you got rid of mothers, fathers, hard-working, long-serving employees for people who had been hired only months prior, had been hired to cover maternity leave, had been underperforming for months, is absolutely disgusting. You made poor, inhumane choices and ruined peoples lives. - There is no room for creativity. Got an idea? Don't bother sharing it. It'll be approved, you'll spend 6 months working on it, then out of nowhere you'll be told what to do by a consultant or senior leader who isn't involved in the area at all. I don't know why they hire creative roles - they only need project managers that will do exactly what they tell them to. - On top of everything, my manager didn't reach out ONCE to see how I was during the redundancy process. 5 months have passed since I lost my job and I have received a text, email or Facebook message from them checking how I am. I spent many, many years spent at Holiday Extras and a fair chunk in their team and to receive absolutely nothing is inhumane and poor, poor behaviour. It was the managers who made the terrible decisions as to who to keep and who to get rid of and whether it's awkward or not, they should 100% show compassion and act with humanity which has not happened. It was the worst part of being made redundant. The stress and anxiety of losing my job and not having enough money to pay my bills was minimal compared to the fact that a) my manager didn't reach out at all b) barely anyone in my team got in touch and c) the stakeholders/people I had worked FOR for years not a single person reached out to say sorry/hope you're ok/thanks for everything. Inhumane. I couldn't be more disappointed in Holiday Extras and everyone that works there.

11 people found this review helpful

Group People Director

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, we’re so sorry after years of hard work and commitment you have left feeling this way. We recognise the redundancy process was an incredibly difficult and emotional time for everyone. It is not something we have ever had to do in our nearly 40yr history, we did our best to ensure it was as fair, transparent and respectful for our people as possible. You have mentioned many points in your review that do not reflect the environment we work hard to create and I would really like the opportunity to explore these areas further with you. Please do contact me on kwakeman@holidayextras.com so we can arrange a time to talk though your feedback. In the meantime thank you for your contribution during your time at HX, I wish you all the very best for the future.

3. 1.0

Warning

Dec 1, 2019 - Business
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexi hours Working from home

Cons

- HR are wholly ineffective - Most management are self-serving and do little to support - Huge pay discrepancy between management and employees - The company stifles individuality, wanting to create HX individuals rather than celebrate individual's talents and personalities

3 people found this review helpful

Group People Director

Thank you for your review. I’m sorry to hear that you feel this way and this is not the experience we want people to have. I’d really like the opportunity to speak with you to understand more about the points raised in your review. If you’re able to get in touch to arrange the best way to speak, my email is kwakeman@holidayextras.com. It’s important to us that we create an environment where people can be themselves so they can thrive. We’re proud of our diverse team and want everyone to feel that they can wear their uniqueness with pride. I’m not sure when you left but we recently held a company-wide Diversity and Inclusion Workshop for people to share stories and identify how we can make Holiday Extras an even more inclusive place to work. The Workshop was open to all HXers as we believe that each and everyone of us has a part to play in shaping the culture and environment. The input and commitment from across the business has been fantastic and we’re excited to see the impact this has. While we are undertaking this work, we always want to hear how we can do better. So I do hope you get in touch as I’d like to learn more about your experience. If I don’t hear from you, I’d like to thank you again for your feedback and I wish you all the best for the future.

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good place to work if you like BBQs and not much else

May 22, 2019 - Travel Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great community feel to the business people are very supportive, BBQ's, - it can be a fun place to work but HX rely heavily on the 'fun' bit to keep you in the business.

Cons

there is a divide between the Contact Centre and the rest of the business which is a shame as without the CC there would no HX - which leads to my next point, low salary (a good bonus scheme in place) but it always feels like they try to avoid paying bonus where possible. To progress in the business is the biggest challenge - Holiday Extras are growing and to push that further they look for talent externally when actually there is plenty of talent sitting the office bored because they aren't challenged.

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Travel Consultant at Holiday Extras.

Dec 11, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

HX really do have a lot of things right as a company, from equipping and trusting everyone with Apple Macbook laptops that can be used at home for personal use as well as work to spontaneous summer BBQ's to amazing fireworks displays offering free food and beverages for all staff members and their families. The training is second-to-none, quite possibly the best I've had going into any new job, the trainers really care and the setup/methods used really installed confidence before going on the phones. Finally the people are really what makes HX the place it is, the people I have met in all job roles from CC(contact centre) staff to the CEO himself are friendly, fun and really great people, I honestly cannot name or think of one person I dislike.

Cons

Now for the not so goods, and there are a few I'm sad to say. Firstly, there is an apparent divide between the majority of the company and the CC. There are many fun things that go on that often CC staff find ourselves the only ones that cant participate as we mustn't leave our post on the phones. Almost all areas seem to have an hour lunch where they can partake once again in several activities, we are limited to just half an hour. I personally don't mind the half an hour lunch break, but fail to understand why there are different standards between different areas. Working hours - now this really is an issue that I and 90% of CC staff I speak to are unhappy with. Up until recently we worked a standard 8 hour day 5 days per week as full time members which seems quite common in call centre work, no issues there, however now we are expected to work 8 hours and 45 mins for 4 days, whilst having one "half day" usually in the afternoon which throws a lot of peoples daily chores/plans after work out the window. Whilst 45 minutes may seem somewhat trivial, there was no real communication down to CC staff other than receiving our weekly rota with the new shifts in place. CC staff are the only ones expected to work these shifts whilst managers, the planning team and all other roles in the hierarchy remain on the same shifts as before, a classic case of expecting the bottom rung to do things that they wont themselves. Finally I have seen MANY people leave recently, people who were long term fixtures in HX as a result of many of the points already stated, quite simply they had enough. Other members are actively looking to leave, with myself also looking down avenues away from HX. When I started at HX I was sold on the fact they pride themselves as a company on staff progression and work/life balance, but as far as progression goes, I see a LOT of "external appointments" over people who have given everything for the company because obviously externals better right? And the work/life balance, it was great but small things are slowly taking away from this and it saddens me to write this as I genuinely loved the workplace when I first started.

2 people found this review helpful

Associate People Director

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, we really appreciate your honesty. We were saddened to read that you have concerns and we’d like to help you regain some of the great feeling you had when you joined. We’re really open to receiving feedback and it’s important that people feel that they can be as honest as you have been and talk to us face to face. Off the back of our latest engagement sessions we have scheduled additional buzz sessions to further listen and discuss what actions we can work together on to help improve the experience in our Contact Centre team. Your involvement in these sessions is instrumental so we hope you’re able to work with us. If you’d rather speak to someone individually, you can always speak to your manager, any of the Contact Centre Management Team or the People Team - our door is always open.

6. 2.0

Travel Consultant

Dec 4, 2017 - Travel Consultant in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The other travel consultants! I made a lot of friends. Shame most of them have left now. Bbqs, firework displays, parties, hx xmas day, not that the contact centre gets to attend any of these things.

Cons

So being in the CC ( contact centre) you are bottom rung in HX, and they make you feel it! The CC miss out most of the " fun Hx experience" because the organ grinder won't let anyone have time off the phones. HX have lost a shed load of fantastic talent within a year just because of poor management! I actually cannot count how many good team players who have been at HX for a number of years all jacked it in. The travel consultants are over worked and under valued. The targets are a joke and customer service has slipped. HX are very good at training you up to go for a job thats coming up, then going with a complete outsider, many people have fallen for this! Leaving people feeling deflated and unappreciated. It used to be such a lovely place to work and I used to love it; but no one seems to be questioning why they are losing staff? Why are they losing key players and big personalities? Because CC management changing has made people hate coming to work... Why would you get rid of whole team from the call centre? One minute they saying we should really push car hire and transfer, the next the whole team has been disbanded! Its safe to say they all left the company rather then go back to airport. The CC now feels tired, lifeless, its a sad place,where people are constantly worried about the safety of their jobs, forced to work ridiculous hours for an average pay. Where favouritism and bullying are rife!! Its very sad. Lets just say that the HX values and ideals are a fairytale, nothing more. Apart from the villians because they are quite a few of those!

4 people found this review helpful

Associate People Director

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We’re sorry to hear some of your feedback and wanted to respond to some of the specific points raised. As a fast-paced business there will always be changes in the team and we try our best to minimise any disruption this may cause. It goes without saying that our Contact Centre managers put the team at the heart of everything they do, so they were very sad to hear this feedback. We are a little surprised by your comments about the Contact Centre being tired and lifeless as we put a lot of work into making sure that the culture and work environment here at HX is inviting and full of energy. We’d like to understand more about this if you’re able to get in touch with us. We’d love for people to be able to attend every single event but we also need to balance this against the needs of our customers. When planning events, we try and cater for different teams so that people can attend most of them. We also provide food and treats in lieu of people not being able to come along to help them feel included. If you have any ideas about how we can do better however, we’re really open to suggestions. Finally, we were concerned to read about some of the more serious claims that you have raised in your review. To make it clear, we do not tolerate bullying in any way and take any accusations of such behaviour very seriously. We foster an open environment for people to feel that they can share and relay any concerns they may have. We hope that you were able to do this with the People Team or our managers while you were here. If you would like to reach out to discuss your concerns in more detail, please email our People Team at people.team@holidayextras.com

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

HX: it's all about people

Nov 2, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are so many positives about working at HX, you can sometimes and forget and take for granted that they’re not available at many other companies. Their approach to flexible working is hugely valuable - it means I can balance having a family and a job and not feel guilty about it. It’s not just the convenience it offers but also the sense of trust and value you feel, knowing that you have the freedom to manage your own time and work. It also means I’m working when I’m most productive, which is good for everyone. Playing to your strengths and interests is key at HX and I’ve definitely benefited from this, being involved in some interesting and fulfilling projects that really stretch and develop you. When I’ve had a passion or idea that I want to pursue, I’ve always been encouraged and supported - we’re not afraid to experiment at HX which is hugely satisfying. The move to company and team OKRs over the past year has really provided much needed clarity on our business priorities. In my team in particular, we’ve seen some tangible strides in projects we’ve been working on and it’s a great way of bringing everyone together to achieve common goals. HX never rests on its laurels and is always looking to improve. HX’s biggest pro however are its people. If you ever need help with someone, there is always one or more willing to help - that doesn’t happen everywhere and the effect of this can’t be underestimated. The fantastic team events that HX puts on really fosters this, the recent HX party and fireworks being a perfect example of this.

Cons

We work fast at HX - it means we get things done which is great for everyone, especially our customers. Prioritising can some times be an issue although we're getting better now we've moved to using OKRS.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Your experience of your time here is what you make it.

Oct 4, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

There is a chance to get involved in so much more than your role and to immerse yourself into HX life. The chance to personally develop through training is available and the flexibility of work-life balance is great. The office environment from my experience is excellent, it is genuinely engaging, interesting and fun to work here on a day to day basis. People live and work to the values on the whole and everyone is respectful, approachable and keen to help if they can.

Cons

You are pigeonholed in a way that does not benefit you or the company, career progression in some areas is hard, (even though the company does say that they will give you opportunities this is not always the case- there is an element of 'face fitting'/ not seeing your potential). HX cannot keep relying on it's reputation to pay less than the market.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

I love my job

May 26, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love working at Holiday Extras because I have been given every opportunity to develop in my career. Holiday Extras has helped me find what my skills and strengths are and helped me build plans to achieve what I'd like to achieve. I love the culture, I love the work, I love the building and I love the team.

Cons

I wouldn't say there are any downsides. HX HQ is out of town, but there are good public transport links if you don't drive (and you can work remotely).

Be the first to find this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Absolutely perfect!

Mar 23, 2017 - Travel Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Homeworking -Flexibility -Support - Love my job role - Great benefits - Great staff - Awesome hot chocolate! - Brilliant training - Ability to move about within the company, secondments etc

Cons

I honestly cannot think of anything, so grateful to work for HX, and I hope I am there for many years to come!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 21 Reviews