Holiday Extras Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated Sep 28, 2020

Found 26 of over 196 reviews

3.5
Holiday Extras CEO Matthew Pack
Matthew Pack
Pros
  • "Holiday Extras really care about welfare of their staff and everyone looks out for each other(in 27 reviews)

• "Flexible hours, can work from home, time banking all help with childcare needs plus a great working environment and really lovely people(in 26 reviews)

• Cons
  • "It's been mentioned before and HX can say all they want that it doesn't exist but it does(in 21 reviews)

• "Call centre not appreciated and treated different from rest of company(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Yes people

Sep 28, 2020 - Travel Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home and profit share

Cons

Call centre not appreciated and treated different from rest of company

4 people found this review helpful

Group People Director

Thank you for your feedback. I’m sorry to read your comments about the Contact Centre. The CC are at the frontline of our business and we value the contribution of each and every person. Like many companies during this time, we’ve had to take some very difficult decisions, including making redundancies. While the decisions in themselves were contrary to how we normally operate as a business, having explored all viable alternatives, we had no choice but to reduce the size of our team. In doing so, it was important that we created a process that treated people with fairness and compassion throughout. Please be assured we did everything we could to make people feel valued and supported so they could leave with the dignity and respect they deserved. We also continue to offer support through our HX Alumni group on Facebook. If you think we could have done better and would like to provide specific feedback, please do email me at kwakeman@holidayextras.com. If I don’t hear from you, I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you for your contribution to Holiday Extras and I wish you all the best for the future.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Top Company Who Make a Real Effort

Nov 15, 2019 - SEO Lead in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Holiday Extras make considerable effort to try and create a work environment that helps their employees thrive. They dedicate considerable resource into the welfare of their staff, trying to keep them as happy and engaged as possible with multiple initiatives focused around communication, development, reward and progression. A profit share scheme, Birthday's as holiday, company parties, flexible working hours, personal Macbooks, the ability to work from home, BBQ's and various fun little event's throughout the year, company benefits, long-service paid sabbaticals - these things all make for quite a generous package. There is an onus on encouraging employees to 'buy in' to the company and wanting to contribute as best as possible - wanting to drive success. There is plenty of give from Holiday Extras and they hope their employees want to give back. It's an approach that puts a responsibility on you. If you're the sort of person who embraces this, there is a freedom in many roles at Holiday Extras which really encourages initiative, creativity and productivity. The genuine pride in this company held by many of the senior staff is evident here. This is the quality control that runs through it and it is likewise adopted by a great many of it's employees .

Cons

I honestly think it would be unreasonable to post any cons here. In a company this size, it's impossible to make everything run absolutely perfectly and to keep everybody happy, but the steer from the top - the policies, the ethos and the effort in executing as much of this as possible, is spot on.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good but pay is below average

Nov 11, 2019 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work life balance, friendly people. Excellent profit sharing. Can work from home.

Cons

Pay is not transparent. Pay is always lowballed without any negotiation.

Group People Director

Thank you for your review. It’s great to hear your comments about the friendliness of the team. It’s really important to our culture that we communicate in a way which is human, helpful and friendly - to each other and our customers. It’s also fantastic to hear that you have a good work-life balance - this is what we strive for and is at the heart of who we are and everything we do. Through our approach to things like flexible working, we want to empower our teams to have careers that work for them. While you see our profit share bonus as a positive, we’re sorry to read the rest of your comments about our pay processes. Over the last few years we have made strides towards greater transparency so that everyone is confident and informed about how pay decisions are made. Through feedback received in our last Engagement Check-in, we recognise the need to do more however, which is why we’re making further changes this year so that people have a better understanding of their total reward package and their future earning potential. Thanks again for taking the time to leave your review. We hope you were able to share your feedback in our very recent Engagement Check-in but you do speak to your manager or someone in my team if you’d prefer a conversation. You can also feed-back and ask questions at the Head of Tech Delivery’s AMA (Ask Me Anything) monthly sessions.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Warning

Dec 1, 2019 - Business
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexi hours Working from home

Cons

- HR are wholly ineffective - Most management are self-serving and do little to support - Huge pay discrepancy between management and employees - The company stifles individuality, wanting to create HX individuals rather than celebrate individual's talents and personalities

3 people found this review helpful

Group People Director

Thank you for your review. I’m sorry to hear that you feel this way and this is not the experience we want people to have. I’d really like the opportunity to speak with you to understand more about the points raised in your review. If you’re able to get in touch to arrange the best way to speak, my email is kwakeman@holidayextras.com. It’s important to us that we create an environment where people can be themselves so they can thrive. We’re proud of our diverse team and want everyone to feel that they can wear their uniqueness with pride. I’m not sure when you left but we recently held a company-wide Diversity and Inclusion Workshop for people to share stories and identify how we can make Holiday Extras an even more inclusive place to work. The Workshop was open to all HXers as we believe that each and everyone of us has a part to play in shaping the culture and environment. The input and commitment from across the business has been fantastic and we’re excited to see the impact this has. While we are undertaking this work, we always want to hear how we can do better. So I do hope you get in touch as I’d like to learn more about your experience. If I don’t hear from you, I’d like to thank you again for your feedback and I wish you all the best for the future.

5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

The best CEO ever!

Aug 11, 2019 - Team Leader/Travel Consultant in Ash, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Values driven work culture,, fantastic benefits, profit share each quarter, monthly coaching and 121’s, free parking, teas, coffees, weekly business updates via “Shout out,” beautiful outdoor space to work and play, working from home. CEO MATT PACK is an amazing human being. Compassionate, kind and genuine. He has an open door policy and he listens. He is the “do right man!” A true leader whom I will never forget and had the privilege to work for.

Cons

I can honestly say there are no Cons for me. They always strive to be better.

Group People Director

Thank you for your feedback. It’s great to hear about your experience while working at HX. We’re really proud of our culture and work environment so pleased to hear from you about what we’re doing well. We were also touched to hear your feedback about our CEO, Matthew. He is truly passionate about the wellbeing of our team and the future of our business, recognising the importance of listening to everyone to make it an even more fantastic place to work. We were sad to hear your feedback about showing more care. Through our focus on mental health and wellbeing, we have established various routes for people to be able to talk about their personal circumstances and receive any support should they need it. However, we are continually learning so will take this onboard. It would be helpful to have more information to understand how we can do better so if you’d like to get in touch, please email us at: recruitment@holidayextras.com. It would be good to understand more context around your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. If we don’t hear from you, we wish you all the best for the future.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fun, challenging and friendly place to work

Dec 28, 2018 - Agile Coach in Folkestone, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked here for three years now and have no intention of leaving. Holiday Extras is the best company I've worked for due to the great atmosphere and culture they work hard to create. It's a fun place to work with all the extras they give you (BBQs, birthdays off, constant treats and rewards) but that's a small part of why I love it here. Whilst it's fun, there's no shortage of hard work and challenging targets to meet which stretch and get the best out of you. They work hard to make sure you're on the right career path and will assist in any training or support you need to succeed. There are so many departments that you can easily try out another career path on a secondment if you're curious. They've just completed a fantastic new building and facilities including showers which shows they're dedicated to improving and supporting staff. They're incredibly family friendly. Having just come back from Maternity Leave, I was worried asking for reduced hours and more flexibility in terms of needing to work from home or leave if the kids were sick but their Anytime Anywhere policy means I can just catch up out of hours and leave immediately if necessary. I've never had a problem with any discrimination due to being a mother - if anything I'm actually given a lot more freedom to do what I need!

Cons

They're still working on the pay structure and clarity around that, but it's improved in the past few months. As with any company there are the usual problems with certain individuals and management styles but overall these get addressee quickly if they're really issues. As the company is growing, the culture is unfortunately getting diluted so that's something everyone needs to work hard at to keep.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee

Good employer that genuinely cares

Sep 19, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours, can work from home, time banking all help with childcare needs plus a great working environment and really lovely people.

Cons

High pressure environment for what appears to be a relatively low salary unfortunately encourages people to look elsewhere.

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

A marginally better call centre....

Sep 5, 2018 - Travel Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly people, was a relaxed environment (but that's changed), home working

Cons

Poor wages, poorer wage increases.

2 people found this review helpful

Deputy CEO Holiday Extras

Thank you for your review. Our people are at the heart of everything we do so we’re sad to hear this feedback. We are proud to be a Living Wage employer and have been for the past three years. As a company, receiving feedback from our team is integral to everything we do. Specifically in our Contact Centre, we have a number of feedback channels for people to tell us what we're doing well and what we can do differently, either via our regular engagement surveys or open forums with the team. We have taken many positive actions of the back of these, including ways of working and pay. We hope that you were able to voice your concerns through these avenues or with your manager who are on-hand to discuss any specific feedback.

9. 3.0
      Former Employee

Holiday extras

Sep 4, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good profit share quarterly. Option to work from home.

Cons

Management styles conflicting and not much support

Deputy CEO Holiday Extras

Thanks for your feedback. We’re really glad that you liked the option to work from home. We pride ourselves on our approach to flexible working, which includes the ability to work remotely to help people balance their personal and work lives. We’re also pleased to hear your feedback about our quarterly profit share scheme - it means that everyone works together and benefits from the business achieving its strategic goals. We’re however sorry to hear your feelings about the level of support. We work hard to create an open environment for the team where people can speak about how they feel - our managers are integral to the success of this. We are very much ‘One Team’ and our managers work together to provide the best experience to their teams. It’s important that this is the same for each person, no matter who they report to, which is why we provide training and guidance to each manager so that they consistently provide the high-level support that we expect for our team at Holiday Extras. Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We wish you well for the future.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Couldn't work for a better company!

Aug 23, 2017 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Very supportive, from senior leadership down the company genuinely cares about your wellbeing. - You feel trusted an empowered - trusted with office equipment at home, trusted to make decisions and not penalised if something is wrong - everything is a learning opportunity. - Great work life balance - Brilliant environment to work in, we work hard but feel relaxed and at ease at work - Lots of fun - the company are excellent at putting on fun events for staff and family - Great opportunities for development - having lots of departments in one building allows movement to play to strengths. - Beautiful grounds, outdoor seating areas nice when you fancy a break from the computer screen. - Great facilities - lounge area is fab, pool table, foosball, kitchen area with tea and coffee making supplies. - Flexible - working from home and flexi hours are great when needed. - Amazing benefits available - from pensions, to share save plans, private healthcare to social clubs we have got so many fabulous benefits available to us. Overall I love everything about the company and have enjoyed every moment over the past 6+ years. The company make you feel so valued and support you in every aspect of life. Holiday Extras really is an amazing place to work and I feel so lucky to be here.

Cons

The heating system is strange and the office is often too warm in the summer and really cold in the winter - we can't have everything right?

Viewing 1 - 10 of 26 Reviews