Hot Topic Reviews

Found 1,335 of over 1K reviews

3.7
Hot Topic CEO Steve Vranes
Steve Vranes
Pros
  • "Pretty lax dress code, Great atmosphere, Understanding management, very nice employee discount(in 143 reviews)

• "Great employee discount over 40 %(in 93 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Upper management sucks, anyone above the store manager does not care about you or your well-being(in 60 reviews)

• "Outside hires for management meant sales associates often knew store better than managers(in 52 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee
      Featured Review

Great Company

12 Nov 2020 - Assistant Manager in Saint Cloud, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

The management and company listens and cares about what the employees have to say, offers flexible hours for sales associates pursuing education and furthering their careers, and offers benefits for ASMs and SMs. The environment requires masks for employees and customers during the COVID-19 pandemic, creating a safe environment to be in. Very inclusive and diverse employees in every aspect of the company.

Cons

Can be hard to obtain a position, as there are many applicants and few openings available.

2. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Things got dark pretty quickly

29 Apr 2021 - Retail Sales Associate in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The 40% discount you'd get as an employee was great. Most of my co-workers were really great.

Cons

You might have applied for a full time position, but you get hired for a part time position working 1-3 days and you only work 5 hour shifts. So if you are looking to get more shifts, it's not happening. The managers will find any reason they can to let you go before the 30 day probation period. I had most of the managers tell me how good of a job I was doing only to have one manager give me a written letter telling me how bad I was doing which made no sense since I got told the opposite on multiple occassions. This manager even faked a day on my incident report just to make it easier to let me go before the 30 day probation period was over. The managers constantly told me that they are accepting of people with learning disabilities and will help out but it seemed as if that is why they let me go. The only reason I gave this an overall of 2 stars is because the majority of my co workers were really cool. I have actually kept in contact with a few of them after leaving.

5 people found this review helpful
    3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great place to work

16 Jun 2021 - Store Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

It is a great work environment.

Cons

It is a heavy workload.

4. 5.0

Amazing

12 Jun 2021 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly workers Discounts Interacting with people of similar interest No strict dress codes

Cons

Constantly carrying stuff People confused on how coupons work Having to change the clothing display therefore being on a ladder or stool

5. 4.0

Great place to work!

11 Jun 2021 - ASM- Assistant Store Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are awesome. The merchandise is awesome. The workload isn’t bad at all.

Cons

Schedules were not consistent. Pay was mediocre.

6. 5.0

Great company

15 Jun 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

This was an amazing company to work for

Cons

None this was an amazing company

7. 4.0

Good Experience

12 Jun 2021 - PT Clerk ERP
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours, spare time, good for experience

Cons

No set schedule but that is my own preference.

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

It's good then it goes downhill fast

26 May 2021 - Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really cool merchandise and your coworkers (sans management) are great to work with. Nice way to build rapport with customers because of shared interests in what you have.

Cons

Management is scattered. The Pandemic did not make anything better, and the store manager overwrites everything the assistant manager does. Example, a schedule will be made and then the store manager completely changes it multiple times. They will ask you to come in on days off that you asked for in advance weeks ago, and they will take you off the schedule one week and ask for people to come in so the store has coverage.

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Overworked and Underpaid

16 Apr 2021 - Part Time Assistant Manager in Fair Oaks, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

40% off discount on almost all product, on top of sales. Reimbursement up to I think $25 on concerts and conventions. Pronouns will get used properly and the staff is very open and accepting. You'll get to impact people's lives and get paid to infodump / talk about your interests.

Cons

Management attitudes affect the whole staff, everyone is severely underpaid for the amount of work needed, though May 1 when the minimum wage raises for associates the job will be reasonable. Higher management said managers will eventually get a raise as well. ...Eventually. No news on how much. I have enough job responsibilities I should be making at least $17/hour. Good Luck.

3 people found this review helpful
    10. 3.0
      Former Employee

Lots of mandatory overtime but easy work

16 Jun 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, most managers and HR are cool and helpful, nice break room

Cons

Mandatory overtime for months at a time during peak season, usually 7 days a week with 10 hour shifts.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,335 Reviews