HotelTonight Reviews

Found 98 of over 104 reviews

4.2
HotelTonight CEO & Co-Founder Sam Shank
Sam Shank
Pros
  • "Great culture and people to work wiith(in 9 reviews)

• "Great team, great culture, great perks(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work-life balance can be challenging at times, especially for hourly employees on a set schedule with a limited time of PTO/year(in 10 reviews)

• "If you're less self directed and do not like a fast paced environment, I would say the environment may not be the best place for you(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Poor management

Aug 17, 2019 - CX Associate in Lisbon, Lisbon
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good coworkers, fun environment with fellow employees, benefits

Cons

Unfair and inaccurate metrics. You spend 70% doing tasks that are not counted towards productivity. No time to learn as you get fired within 2 months.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

A Solid business poorly executed

Jul 10, 2019 - Customer Experience Specialist in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

There were great people and ideas.

Cons

No opportunity to switch shifts or gain additional perks.

3. 3.0
      Former Employee

Very good job

Jun 23, 2019 - Account Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good money Great people Bonuses are great

Cons

Manager had a real attitude problem toward employees

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Company to work with

Mar 7, 2019 - Market Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and people to work wiith

Cons

Compensation for certain roles could be improved

Be the first to find this review helpful

Sr. Director of People

Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know your thoughts! We're proud of the culture we've built and are glad to hear it's resonated with you.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great consumer facing company with awesome growth, culture, and perks

Feb 18, 2019 - Senior Platform Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

HotelTonight has been a huge career boosting opportunity for me. From the day I started, I've had a front row seat to what it takes to scale a consumer facing business from a handful of US markets to our current availability in markets around the globe. That growth continues and there are plenty of challenges ahead. At HT I've had ample opportunity to advance my career. The company provides yearly compensation and performance reviews. The people at HotelTonight are very talented across all departments. I've enjoyed working closely with members of the customer support, supply, and marketing teams. I'm always impressed by how sharp my coworkers are. The CEO and CTO are accessible and transparent about how the business is doing and where we are heading. Our engineering processes use the latest best practices making shipping code fun and confident. Technology decisions tend to be made based on stability and future maintenance rather than what the latest cool thing is, which I really appreciate. The company also provides great perks (free hotel credits every quarter, generous paternity leave, free meals, company paid trip after every 3 years of employment, 401k match, great healthcare, HSA match). One of my favorites perks is an office exchange program that allows us to travel to one of our many international offices (CDMX, Berlin, Paris) with some of the cost offset by the company. I couldn't be happier with this company. I truly feel my experience at HT has given me all of the tools to make a big impact at any company I may work for in the future (but I'm not done yet).

Cons

The company moves quickly and sometimes it feels as if projects are not buttoned up before moving on to something new. It would be nice to add a little extra time to complete projects. Some of our busiest times in the hotel industry coincide with holidays. This can lead to difficulty fully disconnecting from work during specific holidays (New Year's Eve, Fourth of July, etc).

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great People, Challenging Work

Feb 18, 2019 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

As a software engineer I favor companies that are big enough to have interesting scaling work, but small enough where there is still new ground to cover and one can have huge impact as an individual contributor. HotelTonight delivers on both in spades. You're not just a cog in a giant machine, you actually get the chance to see what drives the business and shape the future of the company directly through your work. The engineering culture encourages ownership and empowerment of individuals. Custom tooling and internal documentation allows teams to run their own containerized services, and develop true operational expertise in deploying production code at scale. We don't simply throw code over the wall to a devops team–it is expected for us to watch our code in production and develop good intuition for what will or won't work. At the same time, we also work very closely with product managers and are expected to be thinking of the product implications in everything we do. As an engineer, being able to cover the gamut from infrastructure up to UI and product implications is great experience that gives a broad view of the economic value we create beyond just slinging code. This type of experience paves the way for a wider range of career options than more silo'ed roles would. One thing I particularly appreciate compared to other companies is the financial and operational transparency. The CEO gives a weekly update to the whole company outlining the financial picture for the company, leadership discussions, strategic plans, as well as responding to questions from anyone in the company. It is apparent from these all-hands meetings that our growth is sustainable and not based on buying marketshare through irresponsible means that could burn us down the line. Being part of a real company with solid financials versus SV smoke and mirrors is extremely valuable to me as a software engineer who's been to a few rodeos. Last but not least, the team is fantastic to work with. Across the board the company truly values hiring good, humble people who are all about doing the best work they can. HT has quite a diverse group spread across six offices in North America and Europe, and it is a pleasure to come in every day and see what ideas people are cooking up.

Cons

The downside of working at HT is that things can get a bit chaotic at times. Management is good about avoiding unrealistic deadlines or death marches, but it is the nature of a fast-growing business that things change. This offers new opportunities but could be stressful for those who prefer unchanging and clearly defined roles.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

Fantastic team and experience working at HotelTonight

Feb 18, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you’re looking for a place where… * individuals are cared for and listened to by managers * you can work and collaborate with really smart (and funny) people * individuals are empowered to make decisions & choices that impact the product and company on a weekly basis * there are clear 30/90/365-day goals when you come onboard the team * there are constantly others who are available to help and mentor you * we actively listen to our hotel partners as well as the customers who book with us … and seek to constantly better their experience * the team strives to build and ship quickly * you have the chance to give and receive honest feedback * we are incredibly transparent about how we are doing as a company each week and what our successes & failures have been * we are still small enough you can have coffee with the CEO or any other leader * you have opportunities to grow and learn new things ...then look no further than HotelTonight. I feel proud and honored to be part of such an amazing team where we continue to put out a really great user experience and a valuable product to our users. We continue to compete with competitors way larger than us and shake up the travel industry. Every week we remember our core values of Build, Question, Respect. These are not just talking points, this is who we are and how we live.

Cons

We could do a better job at developing and having clear career/professional levels for employees. But I believe our team is working on addressing this soon.

2 people found this review helpful

Sr. Director of People

Thanks for taking the time to share these kind words. We know that we wouldn't be where we are today without our amazing team. Thanks for being part of it (and for sharing the love for your fellow HTers!).

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Exceptional Company Culture, Great Benefits and Fun Work Environment

Jan 24, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working remotely for HT has given me the flexibility I always wanted. The company offers an excellent benefit package from health insurance to credits to use on the app, discounts for gym memberships, matching 401k plan, and many more. The company culture is amazing and the leaders at HT definitely invest in their employees and their career advancement.

Cons

If you are not up for change, HT may not be the place for you. When things are going well, change is implemented to make things even better. This can be a very positive thing - but it's not for everyone. Work-life balance can be challenging at times, especially for hourly employees on a set schedule with a limited time of PTO/year.

4 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

CX management problematic

Mar 11, 2019 - Customer Experience Pro
      Business Outlook

Pros

Virtual work environment, equipment provided, hotel credits, bonuses, salary is good.

Cons

Extremely poor CX management. I have worked for comparable companies in the same type of role and I've never seen management that cannot provide daily metrics. They are consistently threatening about metrics but they have no metrics to provide so you're not quite sure how to improve. They will switch you from channel to channel (from chat to phones to email) at the drop of a hat, without warning on a daily basis. Agents schedules are based on nothing except what they call "company need." It's not based on seniority, or your metrics, attendance, nothing... So be prepared to be forced into any schedule at any time. You'll never be able to take a holiday off unless it's already one of your days off. Be prepared to work every single one and their black out dates are ridiculous. You never be able to take a week of vacation around any holidays or any of their other "special event" dates. I've never seen a black out calendar like this with any other company. Their system is horribly flawed and they shouldn't be surprised if employees start seeking legal action. Action needs to be taken at the top levels at CX and quickly.

Sr. Director of People

Thank you for taking the time to share this insight. We appreciate the feedback, including knowing what’s working well (pay, bonuses work from home, hotel credits to test our product, and provided equipment). We can understand that moving between multiple customer contact channels is an adjustment for our team. The goal isn’t to have you or anyone move around frequently on-shift, but rather provide the best service to our customers no matter how they need to reach us. The CX management team has and continues to monitor customers’ methods of contact and we see the customer preference is constantly shifting. We have been excited to see our team able to support customers across all channels–phones, emails, and chat today and potentially other channels in the future. In regard to metric visibility, the manager team is investigating reporting options for all agents to have direct access to their metrics. As you’re aware, we have always made the weekly meeting with your manager the place to discuss your performance, but we do understand the desire to have direct access to that data and want to provide that as soon as possible. For the time being, I encourage you to communicate openly with your manager or anyone on the CX Management team if you need any support understanding your performance or ways to improve. Lastly, we hear your concerns regarding time off and blackout dates. Given that we’re a 24/7 and 365 operation, we do need to have a team that can work when our customers need our support. We continue to partner with other companies (e.g., outsourcing) to help alleviate some scheduling pressures, and to allow for some additional flexibility during our peak times (weekends, holidays). We are also hopeful that any schedule changes provide positive impact to time off availability or shift trades going forward. We truly appreciate our wonderful team and will continue to look for ways to improve, including finding new options to allow for the best work-life balance possible!

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome Experience!

Jan 17, 2019 - Marketing Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Relaxed Environment - Personable and Passionate People - Super interesting work!

Cons

Took a little while to hear back after the first round of interviews but once I followed up the process moved pretty quick!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 98 Reviews