HotelTonight San Francisco Reviews

Updated 18 Feb 2019

4.6
HotelTonight CEO & Co-Founder Sam Shank
Sam Shank

"Great People, Challenging Work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at HotelTonight full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a software engineer I favor companies that are big enough to have interesting scaling work, but small enough where there is still new ground to cover and one can have huge impact as an individual contributor. HotelTonight delivers on both in spades. You're not just a cog in a giant machine, you actually get the chance to see what drives the business and shape the future of the company directly through your work. The engineering culture encourages ownership and empowerment of individuals. Custom tooling and internal documentation allows teams to run their own containerized services, and develop true operational expertise in deploying production code at scale. We don't simply throw code over the wall to a devops team–it is expected for us to watch our code in production and develop good intuition for what will or won't work. At the same time, we also work very closely with product managers and are expected to be thinking of the product implications in everything we do. As an engineer, being able to cover the gamut from infrastructure up to UI and product implications is great experience that gives a broad view of the economic value we create beyond just slinging code. This type of experience paves the way for a wider range of career options than more silo'ed roles would. One thing I particularly appreciate compared to other companies is the financial and operational transparency. The CEO gives a weekly update to the whole company outlining the financial picture for the company, leadership discussions, strategic plans, as well as responding to questions from anyone in the company. It is apparent from these all-hands meetings that our growth is sustainable and not based on buying marketshare through irresponsible means that could burn us down the line. Being part of a real company with solid financials versus SV smoke and mirrors is extremely valuable to me as a software engineer who's been to a few rodeos. Last but not least, the team is fantastic to work with. Across the board the company truly values hiring good, humble people who are all about doing the best work they can. HT has quite a diverse group spread across six offices in North America and Europe, and it is a pleasure to come in every day and see what ideas people are cooking up.

Cons

The downside of working at HT is that things can get a bit chaotic at times. Management is good about avoiding unrealistic deadlines or death marches, but it is the nature of a fast-growing business that things change. This offers new opportunities but could be stressful for those who prefer unchanging and clearly defined roles.

"Great consumer facing company with awesome growth, culture, and perks"

Current Employee - Senior Platform Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at HotelTonight full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

HotelTonight has been a huge career boosting opportunity for me. From the day I started, I've had a front row seat to what it takes to scale a consumer facing business from a handful of US markets to our current availability in markets around the globe. That growth continues and there are plenty of challenges ahead. At HT I've had ample opportunity to advance my career. The company provides yearly compensation and performance reviews. The people at HotelTonight are very talented across all departments. I've enjoyed working closely with members of the customer support, supply, and marketing teams. I'm always impressed by how sharp my coworkers are. The CEO and CTO are accessible and transparent about how the business is doing and where we are heading. Our engineering processes use the latest best practices making shipping code fun and confident. Technology decisions tend to be made based on stability and future maintenance rather than what the latest cool thing is, which I really appreciate. The company also provides great perks (free hotel credits every quarter, generous paternity leave, free meals, company paid trip after every 3 years of employment, 401k match, great healthcare, HSA match). One of my favorites perks is an office exchange program that allows us to travel to one of our many international offices (CDMX, Berlin, Paris) with some of the cost offset by the company. I couldn't be happier with this company. I truly feel my experience at HT has given me all of the tools to make a big impact at any company I may work for in the future (but I'm not done yet).

Cons

The company moves quickly and sometimes it feels as if projects are not buttoned up before moving on to something new. It would be nice to add a little extra time to complete projects. Some of our busiest times in the hotel industry coincide with holidays. This can lead to difficulty fully disconnecting from work during specific holidays (New Year's Eve, Fourth of July, etc).

Continue reading

"Fantastic team and experience working at HotelTonight"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at HotelTonight full-time

Pros

If you’re looking for a place where… * individuals are cared for and listened to by managers * you can work and collaborate with really smart (and funny) people * individuals are empowered to make decisions & choices that impact the product and company on a weekly basis * there are clear 30/90/365-day goals when you come onboard the team * there are constantly others who are available to help and mentor you * we actively listen to our hotel partners as well as the customers who book with us … and seek to constantly better their experience * the team strives to build and ship quickly * you have the chance to give and receive honest feedback * we are incredibly transparent about how we are doing as a company each week and what our successes & failures have been * we are still small enough you can have coffee with the CEO or any other leader * you have opportunities to grow and learn new things ...then look no further than HotelTonight. I feel proud and honored to be part of such an amazing team where we continue to put out a really great user experience and a valuable product to our users. We continue to compete with competitors way larger than us and shake up the travel industry. Every week we remember our core values of Build, Question, Respect. These are not just talking points, this is who we are and how we live.

Cons

We could do a better job at developing and having clear career/professional levels for employees. But I believe our team is working on addressing this soon.

April 11, 2019Sr. Director of People

Thanks for taking the time to share these kind words. We know that we wouldn't be where we are today without our amazing team. Thanks for being part of it (and for sharing the love for your fellow HTers!).

"Awesome Experience!"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at HotelTonight full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Relaxed Environment - Personable and Passionate People - Super interesting work!

Cons

Took a little while to hear back after the first round of interviews but once I followed up the process moved pretty quick!

"Great place to work in Bay Area"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at HotelTonight full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The company is amazingly open: every week company hosts all hands where all the performance metrics, initiative, goals etc. are presented and afterwards there is an AMA to CEO and executives - Transparent and responsive executives - Lots of learning and skills advancement opportunity - Company encourages to think holistically and contribute to all aspect of business from user growth, hotel on-boarding to customer service and much more. - Innovative & fun product:- HT is definitely no. 1 to other traditional 1920's hotel booking apps/sites

Cons

very quick training process but you learn through doing things

January 15, 2019Director of People Ops

Thank you for the great feedback! It's important for us to continue to create a culture where employees like you can feel excited. Communication is vital as we continue to grow and work on more cool projects! We are reviewing our current training process to ensure more support is provided when employees need it.

"Top down decision making without accountability"

1.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at HotelTonight full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a pretty nice office with nice perks, such as travel credits and a full bar.

Cons

This company is struggling to make a splash. The value has not increased for about 4-5 years. Engineers are treated like grunt workers that need to execute whatever the CEO believes is best. Engineers have very little autonomy (if any). The CTO loves to micromanage people and the CEO *always* believes he can do better. This shows by a high churn rate of executives and employees at all levels.

February 20, 2019Director of People Ops

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We were certainly disappointed to hear that this was your experience here at HotelTonight. As you may know, we have a culture of openness and sharing that supports employees in providing feedback to discuss their concerns directly with their manager whenever possible. When this isn’t an option, we also encourage direct contact with our People Team (either in person or by leveraging one of our many outlets for feedback.) In response to your feedback, I also wanted to share that we are continuously improving processes with the goal of driving bottoms-up innovation and working hard to solve our customers' biggest challenges (resulting in a profitable 2018 that beat our plans and accelerating revenue growth throughout the year and into 2019.) Our engineers will continue to be key partners in the product creation process and we will continue to hold team members accountable delivering innovative solutions and products.

"Incredible place to work - autonomy, creativity, and transparency!"

Current Employee - Supply Team in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at HotelTonight full-time for more than a year

Pros

HT puts in a lot of effort to make sure the company culture is strong. Lots of benefits, smart / hardworking people, and opportunity for growth. You will not regret working at this successful and innovative company!

Cons

Becoming very structured in terms of salary and losing “hustle” of a start up. Office is too big feels empty.

"Positive People and Overall Great Experience!"

Current Employee - Market Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at HotelTonight full-time

Pros

Very positive environment, people are genuine and good-natured and have been happy to jump in and help a new employee out. There is a strong onboarding program, which will work for any type of learner. Training includes getting to know/meeting people in the company as well as teaching the fundamentals of the company and further details of the role. It is clear that this company really values it's people - there is flexibility in the day to day, great leadership in place, many internal tooling resources for execution, and fantastic benefits/other extra perks which make the job even more fun.

Cons

No cons at this company

October 29, 2018Senior Talent Partner

Thank you so much for your feedback! We are happy to hear that you've felt supported in your first few weeks at HT. We look forward to continuing to support your growth and ensuring you have everything you need to be successful in your role.

"Love it!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at HotelTonight full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Solid team that built a well-architected product * Generally nice (and calm) people. * Weekly company status meeting * Food 4x per week! * Snacks

Cons

Nothing yet - its been pretty chill.

"Customer Service Agent"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at HotelTonight full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work from home Hotel perks Good benefits Mac products

Cons

- low pay (it starts out ok, just don't expect a raise) - inflexible shifts (no rotation) - PTO scheduling is something else, you can ask months ahead and still get denied a single day of PTO (you have to call in sick if you really need the day off) - CX management seems out of touch with the reality relating to the work of a cx agent - I have seen many agents having burn outs - declining company culture - employees who work remotely don't get any of the cool perks (gym memberships, free lunches, picnics etc) the SFC HQ folks are enjoying - lack of opportunities for advancement, it's a job, not a career

May 15, 2018VP, Customer Experience

Thank you for sharing the feedback about your experience while working here. We are happy to hear you enjoyed some of your time in the role, specifically the fast-paced and work-from-home environment, but are saddened to learn that you felt there has been any decline in the culture. We value our team and our company culture. Both are something we work so hard to build and nurture within CX and company-wide. Through open dialogue with management, as well as company and department surveys, we always work to leave the door open for feedback and serve to action areas flagged as opportunities. We understand the value of a good work/life balance and appreciate the input on your experience with time-off and scheduling. We would have loved the opportunity to help resolve this while you were still with our team and apologize that you felt this was an issue. As HT continues to grow, we will continue to value all the feedback we receive in addition to our employee surveys and will review and address any chances we have to improve.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 39 English Reviews