HubShout Employee Reviews about "entry level"

Updated 26 Aug 2019

3.8
HubShout CEO and Co-Founder Chad Hill (no image)
Chad Hill
Pros
  • "But opening up to other writers, editors, and managers helps so much(in 10 reviews)

• "The freedom to work from home or a coffee shop every once in a while is great(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Though it is true that the Premium Writer position is an entry-level job, the low pay also became difficult to live on(in 9 reviews)

• "No Free coffee but they provide the keureg, Cream & sugar(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "entry level"

Return to all Reviews

"Premium Writer Position at HubShout"

Former Employee - Premium Writer

I worked at HubShout full-time for more than a year

Pros

HubShout was my first place of employment out of college and it’s certainly an experience I will never forget. The company offers a casual and collaborative work environment and members from different teams have opportunities to work together on various problems and projects. There is a huge focus on building a strong team and overall culture, which I really loved. There are happy hours and company events, which added to the fun environment of the office. The people I got to work with were my favorite part of the job. I built great friendships within the company and everyone was always friendly to each other. Especially within the content team, I felt as though I was part of a family. The content team leaders do a good job of letting writers know that they’re there to provide support whenever and however they can. Writers do have the opportunity to work from home after a few months, which was a major benefit of the job. Without this ability, I don’t think I would have stayed as long as I did. I learned so much from this job -- from the basics of SEO to how to be a better leader. HubShout was a great place to learn the basics of digital marketing and enter the professional world.

Cons

Unfortunately, a ping-pong table and happy hours weren’t enough to make me want to stay at HubShout. For being an entry-level position, the premium writer role has a very heavy workload. Over time, this workload became immensely difficult to sustain. And despite writers being very open with management regarding the stress associated with the workload, no efforts were made to change this -- in fact, writers were encouraged to try to find ways to reduce the quota themselves, which ultimately increased stress. Furthermore, writers were consistently encouraged to exceed quota, which added unnecessary pressure. Not only were writers expected to meet quota every week, but there became a heavier focus on writers participating in innovation and projects outside of writing, which was initially not part of the job description -- while it was always encouraged, it became clear that innovation was now an expectation that ultimately impacted the yearly bonus and overall job performance reviews. This expectation, again, increased stress, as writers had to take away time from writing to participate in various projects. The pay for the Premium Writer position is far below average for this type of work. While employees are eligible for a hefty bonus at the end of the year, if they meet the company's expectations, this does not make up for the low wages throughout the year. As the company grows, I hope writers are compensated more fairly for their work. Additionally, there is not much room for growth from the writer position. While there were internal promotions during my time with the company, they were few and far between.

August 27, 2019President

Hi! Thanks so much for posting. We feel so much gratitude for the hard work you put in at the company and can't thank you enough for both your long tenure and sharing this feedback. This is a great perspective. We completely agree with you. We have a serious problem with the workload as it is currently constructed for writers. As you mentioned, we have been openly discussing this as a team for a while. The team is hard at work, considering some radically different ways for content production. There are several experiments running as I type that could completely change the structure of our jobs. It is our hope that this innovation will address the issues you raise. Thanks also for your kind words about our inclusivity and culture. That is a central focus for us. Our close ties and "family feel" is why we have been so successful for so long. Thanks again for your feedback!

2. "nice"

I worked at HubShout full-time

Pros

great coworkers, cool office space, opportunity for remote

Cons

pay is low, workload is high, not impossible tho. it's entry level so it's to be expected

December 3, 2018President

Hi! Thanks for the review. We love feedback. Glad to hear you bonded with the team here! Of course, that has been the norm for most. Our recent Culture Survey was the highest score we've ever seen. Also glad you liked the office space and our very liberal shift / work-from-home policies. The team has come up with some very radical ideas that help people with high amounts of freedom and autonomy. It is a high-trust environment with very few rules. Yes - We do work hard here. We try to be very very up-front about that in the interview. I'm hoping that wasn't a surprise. We are always pushing ourselves to create better (and higher paying) positions for our team. For example, the Account Manager team figured out how to reorganize themselves and get more done with less people - all of whom now make more money. We are actively looking for more opportunities like this in every position as we believe our people are critical to our success.

"Premium Writer"

Former Employee - Premium Writer in Rochester, NY

I worked at HubShout full-time for more than a year

Pros

HubShout is a great place to launch a marketing career. It is a casual and engaging workplace, and management encourages collaboration at all levels. The company is team-oriented and employees truly do have an opportunity to have their voices heard. I made lasting connections at HubShout and admire my former coworkers for their drive. If you are at the beginning of your career and are looking for a place to learn about SEO and content writing, this may be the job for you. While working at HubShout, you do not need to worry about simply being a name on a screen. If they choose to do so, every employee can be part of the company culture and business development process. As for the Premium Writer position specifically, the job offers a lot of flexibility. After a certain amount of time at the company, writers can work remotely, allowing you to adapt to your own creative process. This was a huge perk of the job, and it allows you to save your PTO.

Cons

While HubShout overall can be an enjoyable place to work, especially for the young professional, the content writer job is difficult to sustain. Writers are required to complete a high volume of work in an unrealistic amount of time. Over time, this demand took a serious toll on my mental and physical health. While the management team was aware of this stress, there was no sense of urgency to change the writing quota or job structure. Rather, writers were encouraged to work on projects to make changes themselves -- only to find that this commitment cut into writing time. Overall, the relationship between management and the writers was strong, as the entire content team meets twice per week. However, the lines between horizontal and top-down leadership were often blurred. During the end of my time at HubShout, I noticed that many decisions were being made within the editorial and management team, rather than including the writers. This move away from horizontal structure played a role in my choice to leave the company. Though it is true that the Premium Writer position is an entry-level job, the low pay also became difficult to live on. Any applicants should be aware of this when considering the job.

March 5, 2018President

Hi! And thanks so much for your thoughtful post. We are so glad that you made lasting connections here. We see that a ton, and are very proud that many are able to launch their careers from our little company. We are also really excited that our efforts at collaboration are being noticed. That's been a big initiative for us. Being inclusive is a priority, and we believe it has made us stronger. As you know, we are very values-driven. We view these opportunities for feedback as essential in our growth process. As a result, I will personally sit down with this feedback and review it with the team. Our culture has come a long way, and you have made awesome points that could help us propel farther. You are correct, we have very high expectations for output. We know that helping Main Street business achieve their dreams will not be easy, and we're up to the task. That being said, we are constantly searching for better ways to do it (and believe that there ARE better ways we have not discovered yet). Innovation is a core value and is still needed in the Writer position (as you point out). Again - Thanks so much for your feedback! And for contributing to the HubShouter Culture!

"Very disappointing experience"

1.0

I worked at HubShout

Pros

Casual dress and you’ll learn a lot about digital marketing, especially SEO.

Cons

Imagine the worst day you’ve ever had at a job in your life. Now, multiply that by 100 and have that be your day everyday...that’s HubShout. If you are looking for a long term career, this is not the place for it. HubShout is a very entry level and the company is not growing and does not know how to grow. Part of the reason for this is management never has your back. Prepare to continuously be thrown under the bus to the resellers you work with, management will always side with them regardless if they are wrong, sometimes even blatantly. The President and CEO have no loyalty to any of their employees, everyone in their eyes are replaceable. Perhaps the absolute worst part of the job was how micromanaged everyone was. It got to the point where employees banded together to demand they stop QAing so many tasks. I guarantee this job would be the most micromanagement you’ll ever experience in any job in your lifetime. Writer turnover is mind-boggling and frankly the owners don’t care. The company’s CRM system has horrible UI/UX that both employees, resellers and end-clients can not use to its’ full potential. Meetings accomplish nothing. For example, you’ll be subjected to an interesting TED Talk about an important and intriguing topic. Instead of having a thought provoking discussion regarding the video afterwards, the meeting promptly ends. It just turned into a waste of time. They claim to strive to have their own employees have purpose filled employment, which sounds good but on paper but it does not live up to it’s hype. On the Account Management side, they emphasize a team effort but it’s all a facade. If you miss a day for whatever reason, forget about having anyone covering your work yet if something happens, it will be your fault. Management is clueless. They are so busy checking your communications with resellers and listening to phone recordings that they don’t notice employees leaving the office...on the clock...to go to the bar down the street on East Avenue for hours at a time.

October 24, 2016President

Hi. And wow. I am very sorry to read this review. This is the not the experience of the HubShouters I know and love. But as always, we welcome all feedback. We believe in open dialog and that all voices must be heard. So we take your review very seriously. It is true, we have watched a ton of TED talks over the last year. This has been a new approach for us, using time we used to dedicate to metrics and reports instead toward creating a positive culture and team growth. Most of the feedback has been positive, but not all. We are also doing book clubs, gratitude and mindfulness training, and we have dogs in the office every day now (plus the usual ping-pong, mini-golf, etc). These things are all voluntary, of course. You are 100% correct about the QA process. A bunch of employees did come to us and ask to change it because they felt it was hurting our culture. They held a series of meetings, and then presented a very professional deck on how the process could be more effective. We accepted 100% of their recommendations. The employee-built process is still in use 8 months later - and the leaders of the change have been encouraged to change more things at HubShout. I see this as awesome. A positive culture is one in which people collaborate to fix things that aren't working well in a company they love - which creates improvements for everyone. I'm confused by the Account Management feedback. Perhaps you left before the awesome changes the team implemented this summer. They moved to a ROWE environment, which means there are no longer specific hours, or any stupid rules, just accountability for results. Account Managers don't have mandatory meetings, and are never required to come into the office at specific times. There are no call-reviews. The only rules that do exist came from the team themselves (or are regulatory). Again, the feedback on this from employees has been that it is pro-employee, family-friendly and more productive. We've had employees join video calls from other countries, coffee shops, in their PJs and in an RV driving across the country. It is radical, and awesome. The PPC team implemented ROWE not long after. Others are working on it as I type. Finally, on the "Management never has your back" feedback, that is deeply concerning. Every significant decision we've made this year has included a cross-level team including employees. We make these decisions slowly, by consensus, and with constant employee input. We believe this is really important to ensure our values are followed fairly and consistently - and to avoid decisions that hurt the HubShout culture. Based on all of the above, our culture survey results show significant improvements this year, and I credit the employees and the management team both for the progress. They have really been doing the hard work. Yes, we have struggled to grow (although 3rd Q was strong). But we acknowledge that openly and honestly with the entire team in our frequent all-hands Coffee Breaks. We believe that through our values, we can solve problems together. I am really sorry this job didn't work out for you. But again, thanks for taking the time to share. We appreciate the opportunity to listen, reflect deeply on your feedback, and continue to strive to do better.

""Big Business" Disguised as a Startup"

1.0
    Former Employee - Premium Writer in Rochester, NY

I worked at HubShout full-time for less than a year

Pros

Other employees are typically young professionals which can make the social aspect enjoyable. The title looks great on a resume. Writing did improve. Learned a lot about SEO.

Cons

The high turnover rate for writers and how long it has gone unresolved is thoroughly unsettling. Management acknowledges that there must be some problem behind it, and continues to ask for suggestions about what it is and how to resolve it. However, everyone is well aware the root problem is the absurd workload, at least in the long term, and yet it remains to be swept under the table by higher-ups. Employees in other departments are understandably hesitant to get to know new writers within their first few months considering they’ve seen so many come and go after just those few months, and in many cases only weeks. In my first two months of employment, four people left, and five people were hired. This all from a team of 10 to 12 writers. To make matters worse, management decided to increase the workload even further. This in and of itself is one thing, but management purposely worded the announcement to manipulate us into thinking the work load had been decreased from 48 tasks per week, to 45. In reality, depending on the meetings you had scheduled for that week, the quota had been raised to 50 tasks per week. During the few months I was there after the change, not once did management even utter “50”, in an attempt to keep up the charade. To top it off, they also added wordpress posting duties, which were interesting and useful experience, but were taking up more time that we didn't have. When the writers banded together to push for changes that would make the position more realistic, every easily solvable point was addressed, such as more workspace and free coffee. But these were only smoke-screens, seeing that no attempt was made by management to address the new quota: The biggest issue we put forward. Other important points, including the enormous stress from the workload and the health concerns it generated, were immediately brushed off with a simple,"well then you probably shouldn't work here." In individual cases, that may very well be the case. However, with multiple similar complaints, it should be obvious there is a major issue. If you are having trouble keeping up with the workload, their method of helping you get back on track is to essentially to toss you in a ditch and see if you can drag your way out, all while looming under the threat of immediate termination. If for some crazy reason that first stint doesn’t motivate you in the long term, they simply continue to dig the ditch deeper until success is practically unfeasible so they can push you out. If you are willing to put your integrity aside, you can definitely brown nose your way to the top and do very well at this company. No one could blame you considering the current scarcity of jobs, so more power to you. However, if sucking up isn’t your thing, you could also write complete dribble as long as you write a ton of it, and do just as well. On the other end of the spectrum, going out of the way to increase brand awareness and other higher-quality content creation strategies, which have been proven to be more effective than the shear quantity of keywords, will be seen as insubordination and laziness if the full quota is not always met. They say that quality is the staple of their business, but in the end, every employee is quantified only by a number on a spreadsheet. This all is able to happen thanks to the “inspirational,” but hollow words spewed by management. Many seem directly ripped from a TED talk which can be good, but only if you follow up and understand the true motivation behind the advice, rather than using it as a tool to make yourself look progressive. Upper management is open to listening to new ideas, feedback, and complaints, but that doesn’t always mean the issues will be addressed. Higher-ups even attempt to reassure you are being heard by documenting what you say word-for-word during meetings. However, I came to realize that your words were often later used against you as well. Some of management is well educated in business psychology, which is obvious from the cheap business tactics used to manipulate employees they want to get rid of into believing they had, “had no choice but to punish/fire you.” This is so common, that they are able to boast a very low rate of actual termination. However, this is only because they make the work so difficult for those that are struggling, that naturally they will quit before they can be fired. I don't necessarily want to blame all of management for this, because it's obvious their hands are tied in some of these situations. No one can really afford to lose their job nowadays. The bottom line is that high writer turnover is essentially ingrained in their business strategy at this point. They have a constant line of potential hires ready to fill any vacancy that may occur. Because finding a writing position or entry-level job in general is so difficult, they know they can continue to do this for the foreseeable future. Although, if you feel you can write mindlessly all-day everyday, then go for it. This is probably a good job for you. As you may have noticed, there is a surprising disparity in reviews for the writing positions, always being rated at either a one-two star, or a five star. Considering this is a content generating company, it’s pretty safe to say the majority of positive reviews are either fake or an attempt by former employees at getting a better reference in the future. Just more shady business tactics. The owners come from a long history of working with big businesses, and are using the same strategies at a small startup. If they remain on this trend, they may very well be headed for disaster. It would already seem they have backed themselves into a corner where they can’t afford to lower the quota anymore. Apparently constantly losing and training new employees makes up for it? The writers, the ones making the actual product, are seriously undervalued, as well as exploited. There’s no room for empathy in big business. Even with just 50 employees, you won’t receive much at HubShout either.

May 3, 2016President

Hi there. We were very sorry to read your review. As you pointed out, we are listening very closely to all feedback and believe strongly that all voices should be heard. We are also sorry that the workload was an issue for you. We work very hard to make sure people know the requirements before they ever accept a job with us. We put the workload requirements in the job postings. They are again emphasized in the interview, and once again in training. We believe in honesty and communication, especially when it comes to workload expectations. But you are right, everybody is asked to work hard at our company. You are also correct, the turnover on the writer team has been deeply troubling. We are working very hard to address it. There have been at least 10 meetings on this topic over the last 90 days. Writers have been involved in every decision and have done a great job at coming up with creative solutions. They have launched all sorts of new approaches to address stress. A few examples. The Writer Team now has informal support groups (called Coffee Talks) where they share ideas for managing stress. A member from the writer team started a Gratitude Exercise that has helped people find positivity in their lives. After the first 4 weeks, it was so popular that they are running it again - now with twice as many participants. Another writer has offered to lead meditation sessions. As you know, we've had a work-from-home program (full-time) for writers for several years. All writers are given 10% of the time every week to pursue whatever growth and skills training they want. I know one writer is getting Adwords certified. Others pursue SEO training. And some invent their own growth plan. And finally, the writer team has been instrumental in our decision to allow dogs at work - which has been a big hit (and stress reducer). All employees at HubShout have been invited in to our company-wide strategy sessions over the last 2 months to define where they want to see the company go over the next 5 years. These are not lip-service meetings. The meetings are employee-facilitated. In these sessions, every employee gets a vote - no matter what their level. All dissenting opinions are heard, and consensus is found through respectful discussion and listening. The feedback has been extremely positive and we've seen new leaders emerge who are now running major initiatives with massive amounts of autonomy. Again - We are very sorry this position did not work out for you. But we are extremely proud of our writers, and of our employees. We have all-hands meetings every week to recognize the outstanding performance of our team. They have built the strong culture we have at HubShout and made us a leader in our field.

"Wasn't Right for Me, Might Be for Someone Else"

4.0
    Former Employee - Premium Content Writer in Rochester, NY

I worked at HubShout full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best thing about HubShout, hands down, is the people working there. They're smart and funny and weird in the best possible way. It's a casual office culture (no really, you can wear your sweatpants), which wasn't a particular draw for me, but might be for others. Management is also pretty good at listening to concerns, and I saw the working environment get about 10 times better just in the year that I was working there. Writers can also work from home under certain conditions, which was a major perk for me -- especially in winter! Leadership is also really open to you doing cool little side projects, which can break up the routine and allow you to use past experience or unique skill sets in a different context. I also have to give a shout-out to Adam, the president of the company, who I think handled a recent crisis extraordinarily well. When the writing team was completely overloaded, he was literally bringing us snacks to try to ease the burden. Not many company presidents would do that.

Cons

My job wasn't a bad job, it just wasn't a good fit for me. I didn't feel the writing quota was difficult to reach, but I found it really difficult to stay motivated because I just didn't like what I was doing. Coming from journalism, I felt that some of the tactics were a little sketchy; however, within the arena of content marketing, HubShout is pretty admirable and solidly in white-hat territory. The pay felt low to me because it was actually less than I was making prior to grad school, but it's not bad for entry level -- management is pretty up front about it being an entry-level job, and it's not their fault I took it despite being technically overqualified. I will say that there isn't much of a promotion track just because of the nature of the work, but I probably wouldn't have stayed much longer anyway because I wouldn't have been happy even with a better-paying job in online marketing. Due to my general unhappiness in the field, I let little frustrations get overwhelming, but I think they're the kind of little frustrations (inefficiency, miscommunication) that you'll have in any working environment. My leaving for another job is truly an it's-not-you-it's-me situation. I really hated this job and found it soul-crushing, but I guess that's not surprising since I took a job in a field that I didn't actually want to work in.

September 22, 2015President

Hi there! Thanks so much for this detailed feedback. We greatly appreciate it and will be sharing it with our management team. Yeah - the recent backlog of work was very stressful, but I was so proud of how the team pulled together and took it on. Looking back now 90 days later, the team is so much stronger now. It was a real growing experience. The team-building opportunities are just too good to pass up. I don't think we will ever stop now that we've seen how strong we are when we work together. The special projects are also really awesome and I'm glad you were able to take part in those. We have such competitive pressure from our off-shore competitors, it is hard to weave these in - but we are committed to making HubShout a great place to work.. I know that variety and a growth path are critical. Thanks again for the feedback, as well as your service to HubShout! It is greatly appreciated.

"Life at the Hub as a Premium Content Writer"

5.0
    Former Employee - Premium Content Writer in Rochester, NY

I worked at HubShout full-time for more than a year

Pros

Perhaps one of the most notable perks about working at HubShout -- and one that nearly ever reviewer has mentioned -- is the casual, laid back atmosphere. They do not care how you dress, how many body modifications you have, or how you style your hair. It's refreshing to work for a company that doesn't attach your value as an employee -- or person -- to your appearance! However, what they DO care about is your work performance, level of professionalism, and job satisfaction. The owner of the company has always been adamant about this and is extremely open minded. Another plus is the ability to refine your existing skills and learn new ones. There are plenty of opportunities to learn, you simply have to ask. You may have to ask more than once, however if you're in good standing with the company, management will go out of their way to educate you. Though I was a content writer, I expressed great interest in learning more about the Google algorithm and SEO in general. Adam created an entire weekly "class" to teach me and anyone else who was interested simply because I requested to learn more. Treat HubShout as a career, and not simply a job and you'll be able to reap more benefits. Simply put, you get out what you put in.

Cons

Meeting the weekly quota was stressful at times. Again, by expressing this concern to management multiple times an entirely new system to offset the quota when warranted was created. Even so, the metrics required of writers were difficult to reach, however not at all impossible. As with many other workplaces, HubShout is a deadline-driven work environment. If you express your concerns to management early, it won't be a problem. In regards to pay, it's an entry level position that does pay slightly more than most. Work hard, meet your metrics, and you'll receive a sizable Christmas bonus that helps to offset the entry-level pay.

July 23, 2015President

Hi! And THANKS for the 5-star review. I greatly appreciate the time you took to give us such a thoughtful write-up. 2015 has really been about making this a GREAT PLACE TO WORK - and I'm so glad that the efforts are showing. We believe that having a comfortable work environment with strong camaraderie is important. Yes - Even with all these efforts, there will be concerns. But all of our Mgmt have an Open-Door policy and we love feedback... The good. The bad. The ugly. Communication is why we have such strong trust. It enables us to know what's going on, adjust, and grow stronger! You also hit-it right with our emphasis on productivity. The competition is serious in our space, and we have to stay on-deadline to stay ahead. We believe every employee should have clear productivity goals and fair measurements. This way we can easily celebrate success and give big bonuses to top performers. Thanks again for your feedback and the hard work you put in for us!

"Great people"

5.0

I worked at HubShout

Pros

This is a great company. I can't say enough about the people. Everybody is friendly and works very hard. They are all motivated to see the company make it. There are a ton of social events and many people in the office are friends. The company lets you be yourself and encourages teamwork.

Cons

The jobs are mostly entry level. But I knew that going in. It really helped me get a great second job and the training opportunity was amazing. I really don't think I would have my current job if not for HubShout. Also, I'm still friends with many people I worked with.

"Great first job"

4.0

I worked at HubShout

Pros

I found the people and culture to be solid. I liked everyone and the atmosphere was very relaxed. You can take breaks whenever you want and dress is casual.

Cons

The training was slower than I would have liked. My first week seems to take forever. But things picked up and I got real busy and time passed. It was clear that this was an entry-level job. But I was okay with that. I would be nice to have more advancement at the company.

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 9 reviews