Huron Consulting Group Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated 12 Oct 2020

Found 27 of over 1K reviews

4.1
Huron Consulting Group President, CEO and Director James H. (Jim) Roth
James H. (Jim) Roth
Pros
  • "Good compensation, work life balance(in 120 reviews)

• "Great people to work with overall which made the job rewarding(in 57 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Consulting can be challenging when it comes to work/life balance(in 79 reviews)

• "Upper Management can be a boys club where promotions are given to buddies, not necessarily the folks who deserve them(in 27 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Trainwreck of a division

9 Jan 2020 - Software Engineer in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Unlimited PTO - Some very fun and enjoyable people working there - Company culture leans more startup-like - Ping pong, great snacks, beer on tap

Cons

- HHSG is one of the worst companies I have ever seen in terms of management. They are absolutely abysmal at creating software and managing. - The worst employees are regularly promoted to the top, and once the employees are at the top they are unremovable - Product management is unbelievably inept. They are so inept the entire company is aware of this, yet due to decades of tenure from this team they are unable to removed. I was literally told by upper management to accept that we will never have good product management. - Promotion structure involved giving you the responsibility of the new job with no pay or promotion backing it with "promises" of the pay and promotion in the future - Poor stewards of technology: Their main product and biggest cash cow was neglected, shoved aside, and exploited while the underlying infrastructure of the product crumbled. Quick features and bugfixes to save contracts. Never did they take the time to refactor the product or fix serious infrastructural issues.

2 people found this review helpful

Employee Experience Leadership

Thank you for your feedback. We would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further about your experience as it is not aligned with our values or culture, please reach out to hresources@huronconsultinggroup.com

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Challenging work with great clients

12 Oct 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Travel (pre COVID), great colleagues, interesting work

3. 2.0

sub par

18 Oct 2019 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

pretty much hands off while at client site - which is pro and con! when opportunity allows you to work with other consultants - they are nice and helpful and talented! Some consultant managers are fantastic!

Cons

Cut throat competitive. The weaker Managers/Coaches are not invested in their team . Weak managers will throw members of their team under the bus if they feel it will make them look better to upper management. Usually no one has consultant's back and no one cares about your input. Client is always right - consultant is screwed if client doesn't like you or if they change their minds about paying Huron's consultant rates.

4 people found this review helpful

Employee Experience Leadership

The environment you describe is contrary to our goal of providing a work environment in which one can grow professionally. We would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further about your experience, please reach out to hresources@huronconsultinggroup.com

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Growing pains

28 May 2019 - Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

unlimited time off, lots of free food and coffee, pay okay for the area.

Cons

Upper management has issues because they like to hire their friends. Micro managing, special treatment for friends or ones they are scared of but not others, little growth for analyst and associates. Little rewards if you do a good job at that level. L.ack of privacy at work.

4 people found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

This is not a consulting company

3 Oct 2018 - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

They pay exceptionally well. Probably 15% over market. But then again, they have to in order to keep good people. The are willing to get some of their people into training as needed. Good parties if you are accepted into the "IN" crowd. Some good people with decades of experience in delivery, but only some.

Cons

I'll just add a few. Too many cons to even go into. Now these are my opinions based on what I saw, what I experienced, and my personal values, and ethical compass. If you fit in, they will most likely not attempt to harm you. . I was paid very well, but had to leave. I could not handle their politics any longer. (Both business and government). . These people are like a low end Gartner or Forrester group who are trying to specialize in healthcare and now playing with ERP implementations. They have no idea how to run a project, how to implement, or estimate a project. They are off by 40% to 60% in some cases. . 80% of their people are snow flakes who get offended to if they have to work more than 6 hours a day. . They are a "social justice warrior" company, and very socialistic politically. It is a rough environment to work in if you have even the slightest disagreement with their political views. . Very dishonest upper management. Dishonest with their people, and dishonest with their clients. Management is arrogant, snooty, self-important, and terrible at project strategy. . I've seen good people get promoted to director and above, where they begin to show serious signs of dishonesty, back stabbing, and unethical behavior. . If you have 5 or more years of hard core ERP experience, this is not the place for you. You will find incompetence, favoritism, and overall leftist political agendas everywhere. This is not a safe company if you did not vote for Hillary Clinton. It's that simple.

9 people found this review helpful

PR and Social Media Contractor

Dear Reviewer – Thank you for your candid feedback on Glassdoor. Huron’s culture is founded on the values of collaboration, inclusion and the collective pursuit of excellence – all employees contribute to who we are as a company and are encouraged to share their ideas to provide the best possible solutions for our clients. We are sorry to hear that your experience does not reflect our values. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please reach out to humanresources@huronconsultinggroup.com.

6. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great co-workers, okay work with little room for growth and creativity

13 Mar 2013 - Associate Revenue Cycle Consultant in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Co-workers are fun and caring. - Some of the work is interesting, and clients do benefit from some of the services. - Good training opportunities

Cons

- The way teams approach projects is archaic and leaves little opportunity for innovation or learning, especially if you are on the lower end of the hierarchy. A lot of what you do is detail-oriented work that is dictated to you from above. If you have an idea of how things may work better, don't count on anyone listening. - Lots of travel for most consulting positions; travel every week - Monday 7am through Thursday evening. This gets really old. - Definitely a "good old boys" feel for upper management. The hierarchical feel is very prominent as well-- not lots of open discussion between levels within the organization. - Definitely a stereotypical consultant vibe within the company-- "if you speak the lingo, people will think you know what you're talking about". This wasn't the case for everyone I came across, but was more prevalent that I liked. It made me feel bad to have the client paying for staff that were not prepared and did not provide quality work, but tried to give the impression that they did. - Pay and compensation is low compared to similar companies.

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

The IT Department management is bad and they should feel bad.

6 Feb 2014 - Analyst\IT Support in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

They emphasize on training and give you options of what training you can take. Generous vacation/PTO days. Very friendly and super nice employees outside of IT.

Cons

The IT department is in disarray and divided.There is the network team and then everyone else.The network team is the worst group of people I've ever had the displeasure of working with. If you ask them question or go to them for help you get eye rolls and short, unhelpful answers.That group has a problem of keeping employees. Which I feel is a reflection of poor upper management. Another problem I had when I was working there is that management does not have your back. They will throw you under the bus so fast to make themselves look good to other management. Even the HR person for IT is a waste of office space.The times I went to HR with complaints they were ignored or I was brushed off. It was such a weight of my shoulders when I left Huron and found a place were IT management actually cares about you.

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Alot of hype with no real substance / Smoke and Mirrors

9 Nov 2012 - HET Manager in Beaverton, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are satisfactory. People in the trenches are excellent

Cons

Upper management such as managing directors are so far off the mark on what clients really want that they make poor decisions, relay the marching orders, then blame on site management when the client gets upset. There is no collaboration whatsoever between team members at the management level and no room for creativity and new ideas. There is a very high turnover that is covered up by HR, especially for those individuals who are not willing to give up their integrity and do whatever is asked of them even if is it against the Project Management Code of Ethics. I hate to say this but their upper management level is basically a Whites Only Club. In my 20 years of experience, I never had to deal with discrimination until I worked for Huron. I even tried to express my concerns with HR and my mentor, which led to my termination mainly becuase I refused to commit an unethical act.

6 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

not a good company - revenue cycle

14 Oct 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- travel perks allow you to keep all the miles and points earned for yourself - unlimited PTO - growth opportunities - smart people

Cons

- very hierarchical. Directors and managers don't talk to you. Analysts report to associates and associates will say you may be performing fine to you, then throw you under the bus when anything goes wrong and blame you to managers/directors. Upper management believe them since they don't have any exposure to your work since it is shielded by a middle man (associate) who may twist the story. - horrible hours - low pay per industry standard - they say promotions are based on merit, but really it's luck of the draw. Have to be on the right project with the right opportunities at the right time - there are several young people in the company who are not quite mature enough to have the soft skills required to manage people fairly or adeptly.

5 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great people, highly standardized work, variability in management quality

22 Mar 2013 - Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

The analyst and associate levels are full of bright, energetic, genuine people that can become lifelong friends The analytical and project management training you receive is very robust

Cons

-Very little abstract thought required in the work -Professionals are discouraged from participating in business development activities -Little entreprenuership in the culture -Good old boy network within upper management with old Arthur Anderson and other Big 4 connections driving much of the hierarchy -The illusion of merit-based advancement is perpetuated by a byzantine performance evaluation process that is prioritized less and less in favor of subjective informal tribal evaluation as you advance -Some managers are invested in the development of their teams, but others see it as a chore -Emotional intelligence is not considered a core competency of management

Viewing 1 - 10 of 27 Reviews