Illumina Reviews

Found 1,526 of over 1,759 reviews

4.1
Illumina President & CEO Francis deSouza
Francis deSouza
Pros
  • "Forward thinking company with great respect for work/life balance(in 120 reviews)

• "Fast-paced environment, never a dull day(in 103 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Incredibly fast paced which doesn’t suit everyone(in 95 reviews)

• "You must know how to set your work/life balance boundaries(in 92 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year
      Featured Review

Illumina's Dynamic Culture of Innovation and Inclusion

Aug 16, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

My expectations have been exceeded in my first 6 months here at Illumina HQ! The culture invites innovation and diversity as though it's ingrained into the Illumina DNA. The foundation here is built on a solid commitment to excellence, inclusivity, innovation and a drive to push forward the boundaries of science in health care.

Cons

A challenge as an Illumina employee, is staying focused on your path forward as you move through a dynamic workplace environment with lots of exciting events occurring around every corner.

6 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Overall

Apr 20, 2022 - SAP Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance Benefits Learning opportunities

Cons

Very slow pace No growth after a while

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great people, great company culture and work life balance

Jul 12, 2021 - Scientist I
      Business Outlook

Pros

The employees at illumina are very nice to work with. Lots of communications within a collaborative team and people are always there to help with problem solving. Many scientists and engineers coming from a wide variety of backgrounds. You can always find an expert in a certain area. Great work life balance. Illumina cares about our wellbeing for sure!

Cons

Limited instrument capacity at certain busy time of the year under the impact of covid.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee

Intersting latest innovative work, bogged down by office politics

Nov 7, 2020 - Accountant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly work environment, interesting and innovative work

Cons

Disparity in working hours for males and females, salary is completely dependent on the log in and log out times, Bad HR policies

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Very toxic environment

Sep 9, 2020 - Senior Engineer in Noklak Hq
      Business Outlook

Pros

Can't say enough about the potential of the technology Illumina makes. Cool campus and they do try to make it a fun environment. Room for advancement.

Cons

Middle management is abysmal. They constantly and constantly ignore the technical experts and do whatever they think will make them look good. They never give push back to upper management which wastes time and money on projects that make no sense. Time of service somehow qualifies people to be managers. This leads to incompetent managers who are completely innefective and are unable to help their direct reports. The company moves too fast for their own good. Everything gets half done then projects are handed over over to set up the next team for failure. That next team then takes all the blame for the the people who originally ruined the project. I wouldn't suggest working there unless you have loose morals and a desire to get ahead at any cost.

Continue reading
      8 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee

Good

Aug 5, 2020 - Business Process Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good working environment Good working environment

Cons

no cons observed no cons observed

7. 5.0

U

Jul 6, 2022 - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Just the best company ever

Cons

Just no cons I can think of

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Best experiences except when I was exiting the organisation

Jun 21, 2022 - Senior Manager in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The best ride I have ever had in terms of learning, opportunity, fast pace, not limited by the role(boundaries) and working globally. Sky is the limit if you are willing to put in energy and work with integrity. The management team allows you to take calculated risks and they even gave me the opportunity to work across the globe. The compelling mission of unlocking the power of genome is very powerful, it kept me going and others as well. The CEO is the biggest change agent to unleash the power and importance of genomics. There is nothing I would change in terms of my time at Illumina. I decided to leave because I needed a change in organisation, meet new people and have a new perspective.

Cons

This (more to share below) is the only con which happened to me where I felt the organisation did not execute with good faith(in my opinion they may be blindsided). During my exit from the company, they left me wondering if I had worked for the same company for almost 10 years after making so many (personal and professional) sacrifices . I was treated as an employee who had not made any impact. After serving the organisation for almost 10 years working 10-12 hours a day, including missing out on paternity leave to help program go live on time recently. They decided to clawback prorated $$(including tax they paid behalf of me) for the relocation because I left within 1 year of relocation back to San Diego. Additionally, they did not pay full relocation, it was partially funded by me in addition to taxation impact. The company spends $$ for consultants to travel but decided to clawback on their own employees. I wish there was more empathy, consideration and not just follow policy/contracts as written especially at a time when inflation is all time high and when the employees have made huge impact.

Continue reading
      4 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

good job

Jul 2, 2022 - CLT (Clinical Lab Technician) in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Not difficult Great coworkers Competitive salary

Cons

At times can be repetitive

10. 5.0

Good employer

Jul 1, 2022 - Controller/HRManager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and culture of care

Cons

Look at work life balance

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,526 Reviews

Illumina Reviews FAQs

Illumina has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 1,759 reviews left anonymously by employees. 79% of employees would recommend working at Illumina to a friend and 79% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Illumina employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.0 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Illumina. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

79% of Illumina employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Illumina 3.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.2 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with Illumina Job Seekers