Illumina Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

4.2
Illumina President & CEO Francis deSouza
Francis deSouza

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work life balance, if you put in the effort to make it so" (in 42 reviews)

• "fast paced environment where you can learn a lot" (in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is good but more telecommuting options would help" (in 58 reviews)

• "Ultra fast paced environment, high stress during critical release dates" (in 40 reviews)

1. "Illumina"

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

Great work environment, company cares about their employees and great benefits

Cons

Can be very busy and fast paced

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. "My friends and family are always asking if we are hiring"

Current Employee - Export Compliance Specialist in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Export Compliance Specialist in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company really cares about its employees. They offer so many amazing benefits and perks. Here are a few: great health/dental/vision plans, gym, ESPP, competitive PTO for new hires, cafeterias/restaurant, food trucks, meditation/wellness courses, sports teams, summer concerts, etc. One week in July and one week in December the company shuts down so everyone can take a well deserved break. On top of all of this they continue to look for ways to increase overall morale and productivity. It seems like every few months there is a new opportunity, event, or perk to enjoy! :)

Cons

Honestly, have not come across any yet.

3. "Amazing Company, Inspiring Mission, Caring Leadership"

I have been working at Illumina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Defining an industry that is revolutionizing healthcare
    Super passionate, smart people who genuinely care about helping others and doing the right thing
    Caring leadership that do the right thing and care about their employees and keeping the culture unique

Cons

Struggle with prioritizing goals and resources, markets are opening so quickly we shift a lot
    Growing so quickly we need to be better about adding the right level of process for scalability (without killing speed to market)
    Can be very SD centric, need to be global

Advice to Management

Keep caring about employees and pushing the envelope with progressive benefits. Keep making decisions about what’s ethically right as we build a new industry.

4. "Great Company"

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting vision and mission. The place to be in with great culture and people.

Cons

Nothing except to want to be in a fast pace environment that revolutionizes how things could be done differently - not your typical company

Advice to Management

Do more to attract diverse talent from different industries to fast track talent bench strength to meet growth

5. "Review"

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

Industry leader in genetic sequencers, continuous change for the better

Cons

Constantly changing = hard to keep up with sometimes

"Great outlook, poor management"

Current Employee - Process Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company outlook is excellent. Competition is building, but will take few more years to catch up

Cons

Poor processes, arm chair management that focuses in presentation rather than doing.

Advice to Management

Role model going above and beyond. Recognize employees and give credit. Organize teams, assign clear roles, avoid swapping projects and assignments.

"Going in circles"

Pros

Industry leader
    People / individual contributors

Cons

Lot of meetings with no clear outcomes

Advice to Management

Delegate decision making effectively so we can be productive

8. "A Culture of Haves and Have Nots"

I worked at Illumina full-time

Pros

Great to be a part of science that is changing the world. The company is widely admired as a great place to work in San Diego. Your friends will be impressed when you tell them where you work.

Cons

Like your old high school, the "cool kids" run this show and if you're too busy doing your job to be part of that group, you won't last. I watched a number of individuals targeted and pushed out one way or another. I experienced a whole department dismantled by new management and outside consultants. Most challenging was the dissonance created between what I was experiencing and the constant corporate drumbeat telling employees how wonderful the company is by focusing on window dressing (FTO, landmark real estate, and other distractions).

Advice to Management

Don't hire professionals on a contract basis--it creates a two-tiered society of haves and have nots. Don't slot people so narrowly into their roles--you lose out on collaboration and encourage turf wars. Aim for real diversity--there's a wealth of experience, knowledge, and viewpoints out there. Don't mistake the jargon sold by consultants for meaningful work performed by loyal employees. Sometimes the emperor has no clothes...

9. "Informatics Product Management"

Former Employee - Associate Director, Product Management
    Former Employee - Associate Director, Product Management

I worked at Illumina full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company sets ambitious goals and is willing to take risks. There is a collection of extremely bright and talented people there; most people work hard and pull their own weight. Market dominance provides opportunities for partnerships and collaborations with key opinion leaders, research institutes, and healthcare systems that might otherwise be hard to establish. Compensation is good to great.

Cons

Constant shift in organizational structure makes it difficult to establish a strategy and stick to it. This is especially true if you are in informatics, as Illumina struggles to define what the long term strategy should be. In my five years at Illumina, I observed a noticeable decline in high-velocity decision making.

10. "A really cool place to work with ridiculously smart people."

Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

You are working with some of the brightest and most motivated people on the planet. I have worked for big names such as Tesla, and this place is a nerd paradise. It is fast paced and you will never be bored. Also, the work/life balance is pretty decent considering the high level at which we operate. Finally, this is easily a career company, which really takes a proactive interest in growing it's employees.

Cons

It's funny that this is a required section. I can't think of any really. However, I will say that you must have work ethic and a team mentality to thrive here. All good stuff :)

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Everyone from front line managers to the CEO are committed to our mission. Thanks for choosing to hire me!