Illumina Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 29 Mar 2020

3.9
Illumina President & CEO Francis deSouza
Francis deSouza
Pros
  • "It is an exciting, fast paced company where things are always evolving(in 83 reviews)

• "Management that emphasizes work/life balance(in 72 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some groups have less work/life balance than others(in 67 reviews)

• "Fast-paced environment and constant changes in project and management(in 61 reviews)

1. "Amazing people!"

Former Employee - Senior DevOps Engineer in Cambridge, England

I worked at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been working at Illumina for almost three years, and I can definitively assert that it is an astonishing company. The most valuable thing at Illumina is the people. Everybody shares the same value, the same vision, and there is a level of understanding and politeness hardly to find anywhere else. Kudos to Illumina for this unbelievable atmosphere.

Cons

Salaries are slightly lower than the corresponding market level. Senior Management had no clear clue about how to influence the stock market positively, and I think they lost a bit the way.

Illumina2020-03-29
  2. "Good"

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

Good life science company with good benefits.

Cons

A bit of work intensive and things change rapidly fast.

Illumina2020-03-24
  3. "Very good emplyer"

Current Employee - Field Applications Specialist in Frankfurt am Main

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Flexible time - Market leading technology

Cons

US driven company, not really care the European market

Illumina2020-03-24
  4. "Company is great!"

Current Employee - Cls in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture of the company is great!

Cons

Only Con are the layoffs.

Illumina2020-03-18
  5. "Focused Impact"

Current Employee - Senior Accounting Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than a year

Pros

Clear goals and realistic expectations have been refreshing. After working for several other companies and industries, this team is emotionally mature and supportive (as needed). It has been refreshing to work in a drama free zone and despite the busy workload, work life balance is actually achievable here.

Cons

People are very focused and independent resulting in a lack of "Good morning/ Goodnight" greetings or chit chat which can make for a long day but this varies by various teams in Accounting functions.

Continue reading
  6. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than a year

Pros

Prioritize the quality of the product over the quantity. Not stressed to fill a quota. Better to do it right the first time at a good pace. Great benefits Not a lot of turn over. Job security. Company takes care of its employees.

Cons

Company has been around for a long time making it harder to promote.

Illumina2020-03-12

"Not the place to be if you're looking for stability"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in San Diego, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance with flexible time off is great. 2 company shutdowns for weeks of 4th of July and Christmas Most people are easy to work with. Company stock grants for full time salary employees plus vcp and wellness bonus Free onsite gym Collegiate sports

Cons

I felt lucky and excited when I first received my offer to work here and it is unfortunate that my experience has been less than ideal and the cons outweigh the positives. INSTABILITY: I have only been here about 2 years and from from day one, I have seen multiple people have their positions eliminated from one day to the next. Recently, myself included. The severance package offered is not the greatest and rather than trying to retain you and helping you to find other internal positions, the company pairs you with an external career assistance recruiter that does very little to help you find a new position externally. UNPROFESSIONAL: For a company that "cares" about their employees, the way that lay offs are handled is in my opinion, completely unprofessional. There is no transparency or warnings for employees. My entire department was on the edge for months wondering when and who was going to be let go after rumors started circulating. Whenever clarification or reassurance was needed, directors and vps would provide vague answers like "all I can say is changes are coming". Not exactly the kind of thing you want to hear when you are being pushed even further to extend your resources and take on more work. It is demotivating and unnecessary stress. The actual layoff itself was also unprofessional and confusing. I received a meeting invite with no subject. The meeting lasted a total of 5 minutes. I was handed a packet, told to read it through on my own, and that it was optional from that point forward for me to come into the office and continue to work, yet I was told to turn in my badge and computer after the meeting and gather my things from my desk. I was not allowed to speak to anyone and someone would escort me out. It was a bit embarrassing and traumatic since it seemed like more of a firing than a lay-off. Even more infuriating was that they timed it right before performance evaluations and raises hit. I was encouraged to continue to apply internally and I was lucky to land an interview for a similar position within my ideal department. During the entire process, the recruiter made me feel like I was a top candidate and made it sound like I was a shoe-in for hire. The day before my final interview I received an offer from a different org and tried to do right by being transparent with the illumina recruiter. I gave them a head's up and asked about the details of my candidacy and the length of the process. In a very unprofessional manner, my third interview was cancelled 2 hours before and I was told they were going with a candidate with additional experience and they wanted to let me continue the interview since nothing was set in stone. It was very disheartening news to hear and made me feel like my time was being wasted and I was only given the interviews because of the lay-off situation I was in. NO ALIGNMENT AND TRANSPARENCY BETWEEN DEPARTMENTS: Each department kinda roams feral and does what they want without researching the impact and notifying other departments causing more work and stress for others. Additionally to this, job roles are not well defined or not grouped correctly so compliance gaps in training are created or irrelevant training is being inappropriately assigned. Unvalidated systems are feeding data into validated systems and later on discoveries are made that certain pieces of data are no longer in use, have been change, or were never populated upstream and causes more cleanup efforts No ownership for tackling ever increasing issues. Teams pass the buck between departments. LIMITED RESOURCES Many departments are understaffed forcing others to take on more work or share the workload with other understaffed departments. HIRING CONSULTING FIRMS Consulting firms constantly come in, set up systems or provide content, do their damage, then dip out, leaving FTEs to clean up the mess and adding to their workloads FOOD POISOINING Everyday there is a new post about someone getting sick from the ICafe food, or catering, or something random like finding plastic in the sandwiches. BATHROOM/BREAKROOM FACILITIES Are disgusting. For as fancy as the buildings look on the outside, you'd be surprised at how disgusting the facilities are on the inside. Every 3 days the toilets back up and overfill leaving a constant lingering stench, wet toilets and floors. The breakrooms also have an issue with brown water on occasion and sinks backing up. Some people also disrespect and disregard the cleaning and maintenance staff and create more work for them by failing to pick up after themselves if they make a mess. They look down upon them and it's sad to see. OPEN WORK SPACES Creates for noisey and nosey environments and lack of privacy. GROWTH The company has been expanding its lab spaces and thus restricting more and more buildings and floors and limiting already scarce meeting rooms. Good luck trying to book anything at HQB1. More growth also opens the question about where are the displaced departments going to be housed? I3 is at capacity in terms of parking and many now have to park at HQ and shuttle over which makes it slightly more inconvenient.

Continue reading
    Illumina2020-03-12
  8. "Good place to grow your career"

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people, technology and drive

Cons

Too many reorganizations can be disruptive

Illumina2020-03-11
  9. "Great company"

Current Employee - Fas

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent company to work for

Cons

Compensation could be comparable to other companies

Illumina2020-03-08
  10. "ottimo"

Current Employee - Field Applications Specialist in Milan

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good team working and good year benefits

Cons

well the only handicap maybe is that you will travel more then 75%

Illumina2020-03-09