Imgur Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 7 Sep 2018

4.2
Imgur Founder/CEO Alan Schaaf (no image)
Alan Schaaf
Pros
  • "Start-ups get a bad rap for being known as places with crapy work/life balance(in 8 reviews)

• "the office space is very spacious with lots of places to grab your laptop and work(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some growing pains as teams expand and new processes are put in place to accommodate managing the project pipelines(in 5 reviews)

• "The company is growing fast, so things are happening at a very fast pace(in 4 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work, thrive and grow."

I have been working at Imgur full-time

Pros

Company is diverse and my team is really supportive. Great work life balance and people here care about creating inclusive and warm culture. A lot of smart people work here and I learn new things everyday. We have the best HR team and they work hard to make sure everyone is happy and well equipped to do the work. Best thing about working here is playing with office dogs and watch funny memes on a daily basis - it takes your stress away. Super fun place to work and make magic happen.

Cons

No cons to share yet. This is a great place to work for.

"I do what I love!"

I have been working at Imgur full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've been at Imgur for three years now and I have to say it's the best company I've every worked for. Start-ups get a bad rap for being known as places with crapy work/life balance. Imgur is a place that truly respects work/life balance and at the same time keeps a high bar for output and performance. I've had the opportunity to do some of my best work here and I truly feel like I'm part of a family. I know there is a huge focus on continuing to grow the Imgur product, make the company even more diverse and building a company for the future. All of those things excite me and I'm proud to work here. The benefits are some of the best in the business and the pay is competitive as well.

Cons

Imgur has had amazing organic scale and growth. I believe the company is at a very interesting crossroads for the future and I see the product team pushing the limits on the expectations for the future of our product. I think the future is unknown from a product perspective and that makes some people uneasy. However, the team is committed to Imgur being different and truly being a place that lifts the worlds spirits for a few moments everyday. It's going to be an interesting ride and I'm proud to be part of it.

Continue reading

"Incredible place to work"

Current Employee - Platform Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Imgur full-time for less than a year

Pros

Culture and core values are no joke, Imgur practices what it preaches. Incredibly smart, talented, passionate people across the board. Great location, great perks, great work/life balance. The CEO is incredibly humble and wise. People are given lots of trust and autonomy. Reason and logic prevail here.

Cons

Some growing pains as teams expand and new processes are put in place to accommodate managing the project pipelines. I think this is a common denominator for any company at this stage.

January 5, 2017Operations Manager

We value your feedback and love that you feel so strongly about our culture and core values! Thank you for your review!

"Friendly, relaxed, work hard, party hard"

I have been working at Imgur full-time

Pros

- amazing office space, comfy, open, lots of room - working on a product that is actually improving lives every day - almost everyone is really nice, easy to get long with, social, and friendly - no weird cliques, every eats lunch with everyone - great $500 yearly passion fund and gym money - work from home x3 a month - passionate and open leadership, no room for egos - extremely transparent with company goals and monthly revenue - company values are followed closely and seem to work - get to be on Imgur all day! - dog friendly office - best work/life balance job I've had in Bay Area - Imgur has amazing potential in the future Ultimately the best job I've ever had.

Cons

- slow to shipping new features and products - still need to work on communication between PMs and depts. - corporateness is starting to creep in - could do more to encourage career growth within the company

January 5, 2017

Thanks for the great feedback! We love that you are enjoying the benefits and perks and your contribution to the team is invaluable. We hear you on being able to move faster and ship often, we agree! We take the time to be thoughtful about how we move forward in order to make sure we are communicating, but we are constantly improving the way we do things to move quicker and improve and expand the experience for our employees. We absolutely love your passion for growth and skill development. It was the focus of our People Operations team in the second half of this year, and we’ve rolled out a plan to help our awesome talent expand their expertise and learn about the growth opportunities available for them within our company. Our plan is to continue to build upon on that, and continue skill development with our employees in the future, as well as continue to roll out programs to make Imgur the best place to work. - Director of People Ops

5. "I am so happy I joined Imgur"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Imgur full-time

Pros

great office space; excellent work/life balance; my coworkers are the bomb; super positive company that is so thankful for all of our hard work. I also like how everyone truly has a voice here so we are all helping to shape the future of this company. I have worked at many startups and larger corporations and this is by far the best environment I have worked

Cons

Every startup has it's growing pains so it's important those issues are addressed. We are in that phase right now but luckily our culture is about owning the outcome.

Continue reading

"Great work-life balance, poor leadership, no growth opportunities"

2.0
    Devops Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Imgur for less than a year

Pros

The work life balance is great, work hours are flexible, WFH 1 day a week is the norm, the work environment itself is also quite nice. The engineering team is filled with intelligent, motivated individuals. Benefits are amazing, the best health insurance plan that money can buy, solid vision as well, dental is kinda meh but that's because there aren't any good dental insurance options on the market.

Cons

The technology stack is ancient. Alan (the CEO) built the product himself over the course of a few years. He didn't architect it to scale, and he used the technologies he was familiar with, rather than the ones most appropriate for the situation. It's basically the same LAMP stack application from 2009, and there's serious pushback on bringing it up to date. Engineering process is weak. This means pull requests get lost, breaking changes get merged without test coverage, un-reviewed code gets pushed to prod, high priority bugfixes are ignored so engineers can work on their pet projects. Things that actually need to get fixed sit there, engineering management doesn't create roadmaps or followup with engineers to ensure things get done. Poor internal promotions with no mentorship or support were the culprit here. People were promoted based on seniority and commitment to the company (read: working overtime). Since most of the people at the company had never worked anywhere else, never managed anyone before or seen anyone else be managed well it's no surprise that it went poorly. Leadership is quite poor, a bit of nepotism and listening to VC advisors too often has lead to a really weak leadership team. There was one external VP hire that really got in the way of people trying to fix the process and management problems within engineering.

March 23, 2016

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a thoughtful review. We appreciate any kind of feedback. I'd like to personally address all the changes that have happened and are happening since you've left: 1) We completely agree that the architecture and API need to be stronger. This has been a continuous effort predating your time and we're about to role out our new version of the API. We are actively working to make the architecture stronger by accessing the resources needed and bringing in stronger engineers to help fix it. It's going to be a fun challenge! 2) Regarding the engineering process, we actually couldn't agree more. Since you've left we've hired two seasoned Directors of Engineering who will help mentor our engineers, put process in place and be hands on themselves. We've also added an amazing VP of Product to help out with our process as well. He's a great new addition to our team. You can read about him here: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/techflash/2016/03/imgur-amazon-millennial.html 3) Hands on Mentorship: We understand that advancing your career and being mentored is super important for growth and engagement. Our new directors, VPs and our new COO hired externally will definitely be able to help out with that, but additionally I'd love to mention that within the past six months we've actually promoted three engineers internally to management positions and they are tackling new and exciting problems. We are also rolling out our first ever management training this next quarter and are completely invested in our people's careers and development. Thanks again for your honest feedback, your work during your time with us. I wish you the very best in your new adventure. - Alan, CEO

7. "Relaxed, communicative, open, friendly, awesome."

I have been working at Imgur full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Amazingly friendly and relaxed atmosphere -Everyone is open, honest & loves to collaborate -No cliqueyness; everyone gets along -Perfect work/life balance which is so hard to find! We all leave before 7pm. -We do fun stuff every week and eat lunches together most days on the roof deck. -Get $500 a year as a Passion Fund as well as $50 per month for sports -

Cons

-You could probably get paid more elsewhere in the Bay Area (but would end up working much later; it's great pay for the work atmosphere) -Don't get fed meals everyday (but there are lots of snacks in kitchen and lunch is provided Monday & Friday)

Continue reading

"Great place to build something awesome!"

I have been working at Imgur full-time

Pros

I've never worked in such a functional AND nurturing environment as Imgur. Everyone here is so brilliant while being down-to-earth, accessible, and helpful. It's a real team - everyone working together toward the common goal of making cool things for an online community and spreading the fun and best parts of the internet. Adding to the amazing team, there is also the best benefits package I've encountered so far. This package includes 5 weeks of vacation + a passion fund while also having a company culture that really gives people the freedom and work/life balance necessary to explore and enjoy the world. They also help you grow: Have a question? Someone will have an answer and is down to teach. There's a mini library of useful books and you can always request more. Also - there are so many people who are so accomplished that you can just take a coffee break and learn something new just from chatting with a co-worker.

Cons

No real cons to speak of. I do foresee us going through a few minor physical growing pains until the new office is ready for the current team + all the new hires, but that's only for a month or two.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.