Improbable Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated 14 Dec 2020

4.2
Improbable CEO Herman Narula
Herman Narula
Pros
Cons
  • "Typical growing pains that you would expect (strategy, structure, processes, etc(in 6 reviews)

• "very much still a startup:- still building a business, very mvp and deadline focused (beware: startups are not for everyone)(in 3 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Product

I have been working at Improbable full-time

Pros

Great environment for constant learning Lots of opportunity to tackle novel challenges Genuinely passionate people and management

Cons

Growing pains but the culture of humility and genuinely blame free retrospectives mean any frustrations are usually short lived

"I like it"

4.0
    Current Employee - Enterprise Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Improbable full-time for less than a year

Pros

There's a 'games' and 'enterprise' side to the business which gives a company a really interesting mix - colleagues have diverse backgrounds and interests. This coupled to the strong emphasis on socialising and cohesion makes it a fun place to work. I'm on the enterprise side of the business which is tackling some really engaging problems and developing some incredible tooling. The calibre of the engineering talent means the team's progress and development velocity is so high that it's never a dull moment. Mostly though it's the social culture and camaraderie that is supported and makes work enjoyable.

Cons

The office itself is a bit of a depressing environment. Work-wise you're given a lot of responsibility from day one and given quite a free rein to fulfil objectives independently - this sort of environment isn't for everyone. Company workings and management can sometimes feel a bit opaque -- having said that, I think a bit of this is inevitable given how fast the company is expanding; some growing pains are understandable.

"London's most innovative startup"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Improbable full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Working with extremely smart yet still humble people I've worked with some great engineers in the past, but Improbable goes one stop above in ensuring only the very best engineers in the world are successful in our interview process. As well as being some of the most technically sound people I've worked with, Improbable place a huge amount of value on cultural fit, and this results in a completely egoless, friendly, humbling environment. - Great culture Regular socials, tech talks, events, games room, plenty of beer and great people - Interesting engineering challenges Improbable allow me to satisfy even my deepest curiosities, from experimenting with new and upcoming technologies to solving some of the hardest challenges that surround distributed computing and largescale simulation. - Impactful, world-changing product/ vision Really, we're trying to build the Matrix.... - Technology-led engineering business - Free breakfast/ lunch/ snack cupboard - Dogs in the office! - Unlimited holiday/ flexi-time - Lots of funding and so an unusual amount of security for such an early stage startup - Multicultural, diverse workforce from all over the world - Great location, right next to Farringdon Station

Cons

- Very fast growing and ambitious startup where you are constantly pushed beyond your comfort zone, the engineering challenges are some of the toughest I've faced as we strive to do what has never been done before - this environment does not suit everybody as there is a lot of uncertainty and unanswered questions, but that can be equally as exciting as it is scary - Typical growing pains that you would expect (strategy, structure, processes, etc.) - Basement office with not much sunlight :(

Continue reading

"Great engineers, awful senior management"

1.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Improbable full-time for more than a year

Pros

- You'll work with some incredibly smart engineers. Most are pretty down to earth and happy to help when you need it - Great location in the middle of town - Free lunch and breakfast, and a well stocked snack cupboard - Comp is towards the upper end of London

Cons

- Strategic direction takes months to develop by senior management. Management will disappear for all day meetings with little to no input from the wider business. - Operational process is painfully slow and grinding. Expect decisions which should take weeks, to take months here. - Although staff churn is low, company is unwilling to accept or learn from historical mistakes from 1-2 years ago which led to departure of senior staff. - CEO seems unclear on company culture. Says he wants to move the company to be more mature & serious, but then insists on filling company strategy presentations with pictures of Transformers and memes. - CEO is a micromanager, and often changes mind at the last minute for no justifiable reason, holding up months of work. - C-suite has a habit of bringing in senior hires to help ease growing pains, but them completely ignores their advice. "Old hands" seem to have a veto over seasoned advice. - Questionable reputation in the games industry.

Continue reading

"Amazing place to work!"

I have been working at Improbable full-time

Pros

- Working on massively complex problems, building a product that is truly innovative - Surrounded by the best and brightest from all over the globe - Culture is fantastic - Big emphasis on making it a great place to work - VR games area, table tennis/table football, company social every month, drinks on Friday etc - Team dedicated to helping ease the process of moving to London, from arranging flat/house viewings to helping partners find new roles as well. - Catered lunch everyday (surprisingly good quality!) - Unlimited holiday The biggest pro is the egoless environment, in which everyone is willing to help no matter what your role or problem. It's awesome to be part of a company building something so awesome and dispelling the myth that London lacks cutting-edge tech firms!

Cons

- Being only 3 years old, we're still learning as we go. Communication could be better, probably need more process in place, the usual growing pains.

"Exciting Place to work"

in London, England

I have been working at Improbable

Pros

- Great group of people to work with, very smart, driven and passionate about what they are doing. - Strong ethos of independence and ownership. - Fast to move, and change direction, means even the newest employee can have an impact on the company. - Building a very interesting and challenging product.

Cons

- Young company with a lot of the growing pains associated with very fast growth and still ironing them out - The rapid change and lack of structure can be difficult to accommodate for some people. - High expectations and need to deliver can occasionally become stressful

Viewing 1 - 5 of 6 English Reviews