Improbable Employee Reviews about "unlimited holiday"

Updated 22 Feb 2020

4.2
Improbable CEO Herman Narula
Herman Narula
Pros
Cons
  • "Typical growing pains that you would expect (strategy, structure, processes, etc(in 6 reviews)

• "very much still a startup:- still building a business, very mvp and deadline focused (beware: startups are not for everyone)(in 3 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "unlimited holiday"

Return to all Reviews

"Not as shiny on the inside as it looks on the outside"

2.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Improbable full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Free lunch - Unlimited holiday - Dogs in the office - Office location - Working with new/shiny tech (most of the time) - Humble people (most of them) - Good work-life balance - Good hardware

Cons

- No real product-market fit. The company still struggles to get into its stride. - Salary bands are embarrassingly wide. - Little to no progression after joining with minimal bump in salary/stock - it's abysmal. - Always-changing priorities and direction of the company coming from the top down. - No transparency about how well the company is doing financially. - No real mentorship programs despite the efforts of some people. No training either. - Quite a few projects get released and forever forgotten. - No more social gatherings and little budget for socials. - Office design is soulless.

Continue reading

"The people, culture and mission are great"

4.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Improbable full-time

Pros

1. The company hires truly excellent people from all over the world. It meant I always felt like I was learning. 2. Upper management (inc. CEO and CTO) are all very accessible, and everyone is willing to hear you out - even if your ideas are far-fetched. Future thinking is encouraged. Hack in spare time on things you think will bring value. 3. Culture. You will have autonomy and you will be trusted to deliver. The people are amazing and everyone will be happy to have a coffee with you. Make a point to get to know as many people as you can, they're all amazing. 4. Perks are a pretty nasty retention strategy, but unlimited holiday is pretty unbeatable. You are honestly encouraged to take time off to be at their best, and most people do. The work/life balance is strong.

Cons

1. Diversity. The company is aware there is a lack of representation, however in my time there not much was done. Perhaps things were going on behind the scenes, but nothing was spoken about. 2. Product. Improbable is making strides in its proposition. 3. Room for growing within the company as a non-engineer is often unclear, but many people do get promoted and moved around. 4. No real multi-disciplinary teams. Most are engineering/management.

Continue reading

"Exciting young company building new technology feeding the vision for the optimised world"

4.0

I have been working at Improbable part-time

Pros

Working in the Enterprise Business Unit, this is a very exciting and faced paced place to be. The team are engaged in exciting projects, building technology from the ground up for prolific and varied clients. The team is small, very friendly and sociable. Despite the pressures that can come from working on new projects, the style of working is relaxed and creative, following the traditional working methods of software development. This is definately a place to stretch yourself professionally - joining the team in business development, I am now also a scrum master! Opinions are valued here, and with one of our core values being humility, everyone is expected to challenge the status quo and all opinions matter equally. There are also fantastic benefits - from being able to bring your dog to work, free lunches and snacks, unlimited holiday, fun monthly socials, family benefits and flexible working.

Cons

Workload is not constant, with times of being very busy, dropping to not that busy at all! This makes it hard to leave at a fixed time every day if you have caring commitments etc. However, the managers are understanding to personal circumstances. The office space is a little dreary, but the equipment and facilities are all very good.

"London's most innovative startup"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Improbable full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Working with extremely smart yet still humble people I've worked with some great engineers in the past, but Improbable goes one stop above in ensuring only the very best engineers in the world are successful in our interview process. As well as being some of the most technically sound people I've worked with, Improbable place a huge amount of value on cultural fit, and this results in a completely egoless, friendly, humbling environment. - Great culture Regular socials, tech talks, events, games room, plenty of beer and great people - Interesting engineering challenges Improbable allow me to satisfy even my deepest curiosities, from experimenting with new and upcoming technologies to solving some of the hardest challenges that surround distributed computing and largescale simulation. - Impactful, world-changing product/ vision Really, we're trying to build the Matrix.... - Technology-led engineering business - Free breakfast/ lunch/ snack cupboard - Dogs in the office! - Unlimited holiday/ flexi-time - Lots of funding and so an unusual amount of security for such an early stage startup - Multicultural, diverse workforce from all over the world - Great location, right next to Farringdon Station

Cons

- Very fast growing and ambitious startup where you are constantly pushed beyond your comfort zone, the engineering challenges are some of the toughest I've faced as we strive to do what has never been done before - this environment does not suit everybody as there is a lot of uncertainty and unanswered questions, but that can be equally as exciting as it is scary - Typical growing pains that you would expect (strategy, structure, processes, etc.) - Basement office with not much sunlight :(

"Passed Probation!"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Improbable full-time for less than a year

Pros

I now work with some of the smartest and skilled people I've ever known - Improbable have very high standards when it comes to hiring staff. They also do a great job of looking after staff - breakfast and lunch are served everyday, and we have access to unlimited holiday. Working hours are normally very reasonable too and there's a diverse range of tasks to be done on a daily basis.

Cons

Still working out some of the processes and structures for delivery, but this is understandable for a start up.

"Amazing place to work!"

5.0

I have been working at Improbable full-time

Pros

- Working on massively complex problems, building a product that is truly innovative - Surrounded by the best and brightest from all over the globe - Culture is fantastic - Big emphasis on making it a great place to work - VR games area, table tennis/table football, company social every month, drinks on Friday etc - Team dedicated to helping ease the process of moving to London, from arranging flat/house viewings to helping partners find new roles as well. - Catered lunch everyday (surprisingly good quality!) - Unlimited holiday The biggest pro is the egoless environment, in which everyone is willing to help no matter what your role or problem. It's awesome to be part of a company building something so awesome and dispelling the myth that London lacks cutting-edge tech firms!

Cons

- Being only 3 years old, we're still learning as we go. Communication could be better, probably need more process in place, the usual growing pains.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.