Industrial Light & Magic Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Found 110 reviews

3.1
Industrial Light & Magic CEO Lynwen Brennan
Lynwen Brennan
  1. "Alright company but London doesn't have the ILM culture"

Former Employee - Digital Artist in London, England

I worked at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great artists, amazin talents. If you like franchises, really good projects Good for the CV Good salaries There is a will to change things, but things take very long to materialise Some good Disney benefits (free parks entries)

Cons

old pipeline artist management is not great contract renewal usually done at the last minute London office doesn't get the same benefits as SF, ILM SF has a long VFX culture that didn't not reach London. uneven quality of supervisors, some are great some are bad They struggle to get new work, which resulted on a massive wave of lay off. More and more work is sent to 3rd party companies. No much space to grow,... limited career development.

Advice to Management

There is work in modernising the pipeline but this is moving too slowly. ILM has to find a way to be more competitive. Maybe reduce the number of supervisor, streamline some departments, be more agile with the artists. Be more reactive, everything moves too slowly.

Industrial Light & Magic2019-09-12
  2. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - VFX Production Assistant in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good health benefits, Disney benefits.

Cons

So much overtime. Poor management.

Advice to Management

Terrible leadership.

Industrial Light & Magic2019-08-30
  3. "Amazing office for film buffs - plenty of talented colleagues"

I have been working at Industrial Light & Magic full-time

Pros

Work with motivated, talented super smart colleagues on blockbuster movies. Drink coffee with supervisors who have won multiple Oscars

Cons

It's long hours, but we all know what we are getting into.

Industrial Light & Magic2019-08-18
  4. "I want to develop my knowledge and personal life"

Former Employee - Roto Artist in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Job secure then there have much more technical knowledges

Cons

Always i will do to complete challenging work then only develop my knowledge so always i would like it

Advice to Management

Give me chance for pour people working to abroad then only develop knowledge and Telnet carrier

Industrial Light & Magic2019-08-16
  5. "Over worked and under paid."

I have been working at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The amazing movies and quality of work

Cons

The management is a mess and full of cronyism.

Advice to Management

Treat loyal workers more fairly. They are the ones making the magic and churning out the pixels.

Industrial Light & Magic2019-08-04
  6. "I actually quite like this place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've been around the block and I like ILM a lot because it is much more well-oiled in process. You have to learn a bit quick the processes, but this place has been good to me and building up my career. Senior leadership trained me well, and now I feel more than prepared to do anything and capable as an artist. Benefits are really nice and they pay for OT. All the medical, 401K is good, when you first receive... vacation it might seem like accrual is slow but you work OT often that it accumulates very fast. Take that as you will! I've been lucky to work with projects that are very flexible with OT, but some producers are not as flexible so it's more luck of the draw. Sometimes it's worrying because Canada is cheaper and I've wondered if San Francisco's office would lose its spot, but now I'm more than confident that San Francisco is here to stay. I feel secure more than ever and assured that if I ever left this company I can do anything.

Cons

I'm a bit concerned with the studios in Vancouver, London, and Singapore. I don't think they get the same standard of training as San Francisco. Sometimes jobs are so bad, they always come back to San Francisco. Training and leadership (maybe incentive for SF members to move to other places?) I think is definitely needed. I got hired at the cusp of Disney buying Lucasfilm. I know this place was ran a little... differently before. You can see some Disney decisions bleed. It does feel like projects now revolve around them and approval, and not as many original projects are coming to our studio anymore because Disney vetos it. My bottom line comes down to this. I've never been to a VFX studio that was perfect, that didn't require OT and all that jazz. As sad as it's a bit of an industry standard. Hours reflect other places I've worked. If you don't like it here because of OT, it's more or less the same everywhere.

Advice to Management

Training is not equal across the board.

Industrial Light & Magic2019-06-17
  7. "Had a great time"

Former Employee - Junior Artist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working on the biggest/best projects in the entertainment industry, all of the time.

Cons

Chose to leave after seeing layoffs, at the same time we were hearing we'd made record earnings on films. All of the work is being outsourced.

Advice to Management

Fairer pay for Jr artists that live in the area, keep work in the Bay, otherwise management is pretty awesome.

Industrial Light & Magic2019-06-14

"Under appreciated"

Current Employee - Production Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The caliber of the people working there is high. ILM is the best at what it does!

Cons

There is HIGH turnover in production. The salaries are laughably low and coordinators are underappreciated in general. You have to leave the company and return if you want to get promoted beyond Coordinator.

Advice to Management

There is zero focus on retention.

Industrial Light & Magic2019-06-10

"Magic is gone"

I have been working at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working with some great people who bring their talent to a company that sorely lacks respect for it.

Cons

Everything. Broken pipeline, kept on life support by legacy ILMers who refuse to change. Horrible deadlines and under-bid shows that cause unmanageable chaos. Clients are verbally abusive and disrespectful to the artists making their films and ILM does NOTHING ... because clients are money. So, minimize the employees and ignore them, clients are all that matters no matter how crazy, incompetant or rude they are. ILM... has become a shadow of itself, favoring clients who meddle with pixels over and over and over until the artists lose their families, health and sanity from being overworked. ILM is just another failed VFX house propping up a broken industry enabling hack filmmakers who have no idea what they are doing and unable to allow VFX artists to do their best work because they are micromanaged into oblivion.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and make the changes that enable ILM to adapt to how these shows are done now. Treat your staff with respect. They don't want donuts for doing a good job and long hours, they want raises and work/life balance in reward for their skills.

Industrial Light & Magic2019-05-21

"Terrible Managment of artists"

Former Employee - Digital Artist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

good benefits for employees, used to be better pre disney

Cons

Managers who truly have no idea what the persons they manage actually do. if you not buddy buddy with them you won't go anywhere and will have actively thrown hurdles in your way.

Advice to Management

get managers to actually take interest in the day to day work.

Industrial Light & Magic2019-03-05