Industrial Light & Magic "san francisco" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Industrial Light & Magic Employee Reviews about "san francisco"

Updated 17 Jun 2019

3.5
Industrial Light & Magic President and General Manager Lynwen Brennan
Lynwen Brennan
Pros
Cons
  • "Broken pipeline, kept on life support by legacy ILMers who refuse to change(in 13 reviews)

• "I don't think they get the same standard of training as San Francisco(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "san francisco"

Return to all Reviews

"I actually quite like this place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've been around the block and I like ILM a lot because it is much more well-oiled in process. You have to learn a bit quick the processes, but this place has been good to me and building up my career. Senior leadership trained me well, and now I feel more than prepared to do anything and capable as an artist. Benefits are really nice and they pay for OT. All the medical, 401K is good, when you first receive vacation it might seem like accrual is slow but you work OT often that it accumulates very fast. Take that as you will! I've been lucky to work with projects that are very flexible with OT, but some producers are not as flexible so it's more luck of the draw. Sometimes it's worrying because Canada is cheaper and I've wondered if San Francisco's office would lose its spot, but now I'm more than confident that San Francisco is here to stay. I feel secure more than ever and assured that if I ever left this company I can do anything.

Cons

I'm a bit concerned with the studios in Vancouver, London, and Singapore. I don't think they get the same standard of training as San Francisco. Sometimes jobs are so bad, they always come back to San Francisco. Training and leadership (maybe incentive for SF members to move to other places?) I think is definitely needed. I got hired at the cusp of Disney buying Lucasfilm. I know this place was ran a little differently before. You can see some Disney decisions bleed. It does feel like projects now revolve around them and approval, and not as many original projects are coming to our studio anymore because Disney vetos it. My bottom line comes down to this. I've never been to a VFX studio that was perfect, that didn't require OT and all that jazz. As sad as it's a bit of an industry standard. Hours reflect other places I've worked. If you don't like it here because of OT, it's more or less the same everywhere.

Advice to Management

Training is not equal across the board.

Industrial Light & Magic2019-06-17

"Game of Thrones in here, you will be stabbed in the back..."

Former Employee - CG Artist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The story of this place and the people that started everything is so inspiring.

Cons

No morale No culture anymore, it's turning into a production line Long hours You will get emails about how the company is thriving, how successful the projects are thanks to you, but you will no get bonuses anymore. A promotion is just impossible, Managers don't really pay attention to who is who, they usually promote the whiners and not the most talented or hard workers. If you are not a supervisor nobody will pay attention to your suggestions or feedback. Salaries are awful no work-life balance in San Francisco, the most expensive city in the world. The work is now done in Vancouver mostly, San Francisco only gets the left-overs Not a healthy competition environment. Trying to save money they turned the work areas into a homeless camp.

Advice to Management

You are losing people because of the lack of morale, the micromanagement is also killing the passion. Listen to your employees, make managers understand everyone's level so you can promote people in a fair way , they are moire like "bosses" than leaders. Reward people, they are your company! Trying to save money hiring Jr's is not smart, you are losing Senior artist that now are leaving your company and will eventually turn into your competition. Managers are incompetent.

Industrial Light & Magic2019-03-01

"Stagnant and Declining"

I have been working at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You will get the opportunity to work on some of the best projects, and with some of the most talented people in the industry, at least on the artist and technical side.

Cons

Forget about advancement, it happens at a glacial pace. Pay does not keep up with cost of living so prepare to make less each year. Also pushing innovative ideas through, that go beyond what you can accomplish on your own without impacting their pipeline, will be a challenge. If you are up for the challenge, don't even bother with the original San Francisco office. Disney has figured out how to pluck the "magic" from the name, if not all the talent, and plant it into the other offices located in countries with tax subsidies, creating a no-win situation for San Francisco.

Advice to Management

The management team does not come from within the pool of artists and technicians, making it impossible for them to make educated decisions regarding technology, or to properly value the people actually doing the work. Fire half of your selves.

Industrial Light & Magic2016-12-30

"Great Legacy in a Pricey Place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Get to work on some of the largest VFX projects in the world. The artists and creative leadership is amazing. Amazing location, office space and company culture.

Cons

Doesn't keep up with cost of living in San Francisco. If you are entry or mid level then you should expect to have 5+ roommates to be able to live in the city. Large amounts of overtime. Some departments are falling behind on keeping up to date with software.

Advice to Management

Make sure the company doesn't just live off the glory of the past. Keep pushing forward to be as innovative as their as their legacy.

Industrial Light & Magic2016-09-06

"Dream Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Learn side to side some of the legends in this industry and the best projects in the world, truly an amazing place to be

Cons

promotions are almost impossible to get no matter what you do, the general ambience is too corporate salary is low compared to other studios and to live in San Francisco they are way too low

Advice to Management

no comment

Industrial Light & Magic2016-01-30

"Wolf in sheeps clothing"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Industrial Light & Magic for more than a year

Pros

Being part of ILM means you get to work on amazing projects. There seems to be tools for almost anything you can think of. Overall people are nice, and ergo breaks are awesome. Occasional ILM gifts are great for morale. Production teams and coordinators are friendly and human compared to other places!

Cons

Supervisors and management play favorites, poor leadership and lack of training or support. Some supervisors clearly can't manage - some of them uncomfortable around women! Expect to learn the ILM tools through chance and your neighbors. Gossip travels fast here - major problem for show contracts. San Francisco often takes back shots, so they can "quickly bounce ideas" with art dept and supervisors when they can do the same with Vancouver if they tried to. While some projects are interesting and ground breaking, Vancouver shots are usually the "b" shots. Some shows are complete bombs. Overtime hours is not much better here even though they claim to balance work and life. The worst happens when new shows come in and there are not enough people for shows due to limited facility space. Some Production teams just tell you what your approved hours are without making sure you are available. While they do respect when you can't come in, they encourage you to "make up" the hours, making it the same as if you did anyway. Vancouver stat holidays are not always respected by the SF team. Pay is average, not the worst but not as good as other studios around town. Management seems to hire based on connections, with majority of people being brought in based on word of mouth. Some hires are for more senior positions despite having less experience, which can anger current employees looking to advance.

Advice to Management

With Vancouver being so competitive right now, you should really take the time to look after your employees who work hard and want to be recognized. Be careful of the studio culture you're setting, gossip can be hurtful when someone feels overlooked compared to their under-performing peers. Try to make the San Francisco - Vancouver relationship better with more visits from supervisors and/or production. Train supervisors to manage better and promote a fair environment to all artists and/or production.

Industrial Light & Magic2015-10-28
  7. "awesome place to work"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Industrial Light & Magic for less than a year

Pros

relax for a vfx company, feel appreciated, everyone's really nice

Cons

expensive to live in san francisco

Industrial Light & Magic2015-01-21
  8. "Top notch projects. Professional work environments"

Former Contractor - Creature Technical Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Industrial Light & Magic for more than a year

Pros

You will always usually get the top films and projects to work on. Depending on the department, you can get your hands wet using many different software packages. Pay and benefits are decent. Paid overtime and good health care.

Cons

It can be hard to move up, ILM is more ideal if you are senior or intermediate level. You can get easily stuck doing one thing over and over again. Cost of living in San Francisco and Bay Area.

Industrial Light & Magic2013-02-20