Intellectual Ventures Employee Reviews about "business model"

Updated 29 Nov 2018

3.4
Intellectual Ventures Founder and Chief Executive Officer Nathan Myhrvold (no image)
Nathan Myhrvold
Pros
  • "Smart people, good Office location, good salaries and benefits(in 21 reviews)

• "IV is has been a place that gets a bad name because of patent lawsuits(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "Due to nature of start up, your time at IV may be short(in 16 reviews)

• "The company is in a down spiral mostly because it could not address major changes in patent legislation which severely affected its business model(in 16 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "business model"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Sr Manager"

4.0

I worked at Intellectual Ventures for more than 5 years

Pros

Smart people, good Office location, good salaries and benefits

Cons

Business model changes often

"Very Unusual Company - now going through a major redirection"

Former Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Intellectual Ventures full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very smart employees, very experienced and at the top of their professions. Only hires people with major accomplishments and previous achievements. a combination of patent lawyers and engineers, all must be with MSc or PhD / JD degrees.

Continue reading

"Lacking a moral compass"

I worked at Intellectual Ventures for more than 3 years

Pros

very interesting business model; wide variety of possible technological areas; a possibility in the early days of great returns

Cons

management is composed of narcissists; management completely lacks a moral compass; management believes that it is acceptable to betray employees and take advantage of anyone; management does not believe in the concept of a win-win or level playing field - if they cannot take advantage of others, they won't participate

Continue reading

"Smart People, Great Environment"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Intellectual Ventures full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I feel that the finance department has clear goals. We are given the necessary resources and freedom to work toward those goals. We are a very collaborative group who willingly solve problems together. Our executive leadership is transparent to the extent they are able regarding expectations, performance, achievements, failures and future aspirations. We are always looking at long term solutions that all groups can integrate with. We are a dynamic business with complex business practices. This keeps things interesting and exciting, especially when a finance job typically becomes stale and boring. IV compensates fairly, work / life balance is appropriate and benefits are competitive.

Cons

People outside of IV seem to form opinions of our business model quickly. I remind those that we are in the business of world changing innovation. If we do not protect our inventors ideas, then we are at risk of losing some of the most brilliant, innovative people in the world.

Continue reading
  5. "My experience so far at IV in Finance ... Four years and counting"

5.0

I have been working at Intellectual Ventures full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

IV is pioneering a new asset class and business model, so there is no well trodden path to simply follow what others have already done. This creates massive opportunity, but one needs to be a "go getter" and accept that things will fail from time to time which is at the essence of invention itself. However, the type of person that succeeds is one that is strong willed, inventive, persistent and can collaboratively work with others and clearly understand the strategy and translate that into tactical deliverables. From the leadership down everyone is hard working so don't expect to coast along ... its not that kind of place ... Also people who do well are those that grab responsibility and lead rather than being told what to do. The Finance management do a great job at keeping that balance which promotes opportunity to succeed. I can't think of a more invigorating and challenging place to work ...

Cons

IV is not as competitive "pay-wise" as the street so many good people have been poached. It's traditionally spread the compensation more broadly at year end, than being targeted to those that really make a difference and will commit to the long term. Given the state patent market, its feeling a little bit vulnerable now, but its poised to re-bound.

6. "It was ok"

I worked at Intellectual Ventures

Pros

-brilliant coworkers -cool projects -got to play with cool toys

Cons

-business model doesn't seem to be sustainable

"Company Leadership is struggling"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Intellectual Ventures full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are tons of smart people that work at IV, and it is a dynamic environment There are areas of the company that are successful and good places to work, some areas the business model is not working (making it harder to generalize) If you've been there over 3 years the salary and long tern comp can be good

Cons

The leadership struggles to provide clear direction (communication is poor) and collaboration across business units is difficult to non-existent

"Interesting work, but working in a real ethical gray area"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Intellectual Ventures full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work life balance, solid salary, bonus promises to be good but they haven't paid out 100% bonuses for several years

Cons

The business model isn't solidified, founders are all over the board and cause more disruption to the business than harmony, and frankly I didn't like how I felt I had to defend and justify working for IV to my friends and family given the constant negative PR.

"Interesting experience, but poor work life balance and growth oppportunities"

I worked at Intellectual Ventures

Pros

-Smart people -Good compensation -Fast pace

Cons

-Higher smart people, but don't trust their expertise or provide autonomy -Executives breed culture of poor treatment -business model has ethical challenges

"Innovative and fast paced company that has stagnated recently."

Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Intellectual Ventures full-time

Pros

Intelligent staff, innovative business model, dynamic structure

Cons

Management/executive heavy. Recent turnover of key employees.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 26 English Reviews