Intellectual Ventures Employee Reviews about "smart people"

Updated 4 Apr 2020

3.4
Intellectual Ventures Founder and Chief Executive Officer Nathan Myhrvold (no image)
Nathan Myhrvold
Pros
  • "Smart people, good Office location, good salaries and benefits(in 21 reviews)

• "IV is has been a place that gets a bad name because of patent lawsuits(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "Due to nature of start up, your time at IV may be short(in 16 reviews)

• "The company is in a down spiral mostly because it could not address major changes in patent legislation which severely affected its business model(in 16 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "smart people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Not sure how much longer it will stay in business"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Intellectual Ventures full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Super smart people and casual environment

Cons

Some people can be difficult , unclear management structure.

2. "Many smart people"

5.0
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Intellectual Ventures for more than a year

Pros

Lots of smart people work here

Cons

I can not think of any

3. "Sr Manager"

in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Intellectual Ventures for more than 5 years

Pros

Smart people, good Office location, good salaries and benefits

Cons

Business model changes often

"Think Twice. There's a reason they pay more."

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Intellectual Ventures full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to work with really smart people. For the most part, the co-workers are great and you're all in the same boat. Global Good and IV Lab are interesting and different. Stands out from other business models because they integrate science, business and invention at the lab.

Cons

Founder can be unreasonable, Old-Microsoft environment which can be toxic and extremely inappropriate. Work in silos. Feedback not wanted or accepted.

Intellectual Ventures Response

December 1, 2017Sr HR Business Partner

At Intellectual Ventures, we respect each person’s individual experience and value feedback from our current/former employees, contractors and interns. We generally don’t respond to reviews but wanted to provide some additional information about our annual attrition as it may be helpful for others. Our average voluntary turnover is well below industry average and something we are proud of given the competitive job market in Seattle and IV’s dynamic environment. In fact, this year we are celebrating 15 10-year service anniversaries! We understand not everyone will find a perfect home here, but we put great value on supporting that kind of long-term career growth and stability. We welcome any additional feedback either here on Glassdoor or directly to Jennifer Leick (jleick@intven.com), Recruiting Director & HRBP.

5. "Pretty good"

I worked at Intellectual Ventures full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun, flexible culture if you work at the lab. Lots of free food and events put on by the administrative staff. Smart people and well funded.

Cons

If you work in a corporate function and sit at the corporate offices it's rigid and uncertain. Lots of layoffs and uncertainty in bonus payouts

6. "Never a dull moment"

in Newcastle, WA

I worked at Intellectual Ventures for more than 8 years

Pros

The company is full of really, really smart people. You will never be bored.

Cons

Overlapping projects and matrixed project management can really impede forward progress.

"IV Operations support"

Operations Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Intellectual Ventures

Pros

- smart people - great ideas - collaboration

Cons

- upper management does not communicate with team members - pay is mediocre, raises were non-existent - advancement opportunities are hard to come by

"Great place to learn"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Intellectual Ventures full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* Smart people and challenging work * Opportunity to work on a variety of different projects/areas * Great work life balance and flexibility when you need

Cons

* Comms could be better, too many grapevine conversations

9. "I believe!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Intellectual Ventures full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

IV is fighting for the rights of inventors. It may not always get everything right, but IP and Inventions are important for the economy and IV is making a real difference.

Cons

It is sometimes tough to be around so many smart people and when the media tells it, it sounds horrible. But read beyond the hype and see the great things that IV does. It is not just about law suits but if we don't defend these rights, they are at risk and that hurts innovation.

Continue reading

"Company Leadership is struggling"

2.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Intellectual Ventures full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are tons of smart people that work at IV, and it is a dynamic environment There are areas of the company that are successful and good places to work, some areas the business model is not working (making it harder to generalize) If you've been there over 3 years the salary and long tern comp can be good

Cons

The leadership struggles to provide clear direction (communication is poor) and collaboration across business units is difficult to non-existent

Viewing 1 - 10 of 26 English Reviews