J D Wetherspoon Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.1
J D Wetherspoon CEO and Director John Hutson
John Hutson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Employee discount on food and drink (in 50 reviews)

• Lots of employee benefits including 50% off food during your shift (making a meal and a drink very often under (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours on your feet are expected (in 94 reviews)

• They reduced the hours in the contract to improve work life balance but in reality you are always there longer than your rotary (in 27 reviews)

"Bar Associate"

Former Employee - Bar Associate in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Bar Associate in London, England (UK)

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay on time, Good culture

Cons

Understaffed, Long Hours and slightly hectic

Advice to Management

More staff should e hired

2. "good company"

Current Employee - Bar Staff in Plymouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Bar Staff in Plymouth, England (UK)

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

understanding and accommodating management very good

Cons

none atm only bee there for two weeks

"Easy Progress, Terrible job"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good money and free food once you become a manager, nice social environment, profit-audit bonuses ( which are very hard to get, but you do get it sometimes)
    You meet a lot of people through out your day.
    Can learn a lot if you are willing.
    Good news is if this is your first job you will be prepared for anything after this one. It can`t get any worse after spoons.

Cons

Terribly understaffed always, company standards are impossible to achieve with the amount of hours and staff allocated. Staff are overworked (60hr weeks) and always on edge of quiting, considering it is just about minimum wage it is not a hard decision to make.
    As a manager you just depend on 16-19 year old students/teenagers to turn up to work ( which they never do, but you can`t sack them because you are already massively understaffed).
    Relies on constant recruitment process since nobody wants to stay in these conditions and most of the time the ones that do stay are people that cant get a job anywhere else ( because they are unreliable or useless )
    Be prepared to do shifts that you don`t even get paid for (for managers it is 40 hrs a week but you ll always do extra and dont get paid)
    Security is only on at weekends ( which everybody is aware of) so be prepared to be assaulted by someone that just wants another beer.
    Awful customer base, you ll be watching people kill themselves slowly day by day on the 1.99 john smiths that you sell.
    You ll be pretending to be a quality restaurant that sells a burger and a beer for a fiver and what is even worse is your customers are going to pretend that they are paying a lot of money for that burger so they ll expect it to be upper class but cooked under 5 minutes.
    Be prepared for a lot of complaints from cheap, uneducated drunks that will shout
     and swear in your face for giving them 6% head instead of 5% on their 1.99 beer.
    There is a lot more cons I can go about but I think if these haven`t changed your mind nothing will.

Advice to Management

I suppose for what they aim to do in terms of head office they do it well, they make lots of money from poor drunks while giving their staff the training of their lifetime(you ll be pushed over your limits so much you ll be prepared for everything in life).
    In all seriousness they only and sole thing these businesses need is just to pay their staff properly so they don`t leave and also allocate more staff and hours to the pubs so again they won`t leave. It really isn`t that much more expensive when compared with the amount of money that goes in.

"Review of my time as a Wetherspoons employee at The Swan and Castle, Oxford"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Oxford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Oxford, England (UK)

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- 6 week rotas over school holidays/public holidays in advance
    - 3 week rotas in advance as standard
    - Management are extremely understanding of situations e.g. University, school, college, child care, sickness.
    - Colleagues are amazing people who I am proud to say i have worked alongside them

Working at an establishment part time can sometimes mean you are outcast from the main 'full timers' however during my time at The Swan and Castle, Oxford, I have felt part of the team since the first day. From the first impression when entering my interview with the management was pleasant and they made every effort to make sure the environment was the least stressful it could have been. This kindness continued during my time at The Swan and Castle, Oxford, and even when covering other pubs (The Narrows, Abingdon, The Penny Black) who were in need of an extra pair of hands.

I've been able to complete my university studies and earn at the same time due to the flexibility that is offered by Steph and her management team.

With the understanding management team I have been able to put my studies first, while also being able to work and ENJOY working.

During my team at The Swan and Castle, I have been able to progress my position from Bar Associate to Team Leader, allowing my to learn new life skills that I know I will be able to bring with me through life as i progress onto new pastures.

With regards to progression, during my time I have observed one colleague go from team leader to shift leader and with the support of the company she is now an excellent member of the team.

Cons

As the pub closes at either 00:00 or 01:00 depending on the day, the occasional late night may be required.

Advice to Management

Good job Steph, Euan, Joe, Laura, Reid and Jonny.

"Shift Leader"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

50% discount on food and drinks while at work, 20% when not. I found my salary to be a few pennies higher than people's one working in a similar job .

Cons

The customers in a cheap priced pub are not always the nicest. Very physical job, you'll be required to stand most of the time and it could be very tiring after long shifts.

Advice to Management

give more gratification for their work to people working hard. Try to retain the good employees and consider increasing the wage when increasing the job tasks. most of my colleagues are very unhappy with the "i-orders".

"An ok employer, struggles to look after staff, will have huge difference in experience based on the venue you end up at."

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Willenhall, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Willenhall, England (UK)

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good management training system
    Internal opportunity for progression always available
    Offer university courses
    Structured expectations can make the workload easier

Cons

Don’t usually get much say when your being transferred
    Money for the workload is pretty poor

Advice to Management

Workload on bar and kitchen associates is often the reason for high staff turnover. Understaffing is a big problem.

7. "Good Company"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    generally achievable performance related bonuses
    competitive pay.
    Promotes work/life balance.
    good retention at high level, aiming to improve low level.

Cons

need more operational support at weekends, can occasionally be left without being able to ask for direct support.
    could have more freedom with events & advertising.

Advice to Management

continue to build incentives and people side of the business. Be more ambitious with local merchandising, advertising and events.

"Former Bar Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in March, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in March, England (UK)

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time

Pros

2 days off each week
    Staff discount on/off shift
    meet a range of different people

Cons

Irregular hours
    Expected to carry burning/heavy plates
    lack of duty of care
    long hours on your feet
    no work/life balance as people were always being asked to work later

Advice to Management

care more about your employees wellbeing
    don't work employees to the brink of exhaustion/ill health
    better work/life balance
    don't accuse people of things they didn't do

9. "Bar associate"

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly working environment, everyone was generally chatty and helpful. A sharded understanding for customer service.

Cons

Customers, despite being the back bone of the business, can be sometimes hostile.

10. "Good company"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

Good working environment, decent pay for the job

Cons

Hours can be all over the place sometimes
    Not much career progression