J D Wetherspoon Shift Manager Reviews

1. COVID-19

"Management needs managing"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Newport, Newport, Wales, Wales

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

An overall good company to work for. One thing that stands out for me is that from Tim Martin at the very top to the staff working in the pubs there is a real sense that we are all one big team. Staff are very much kept in the loop in what the company are doing. Tim Martin regularly visits pubs. I myself have met Tim twice and various other high ranking, important people within the company. The training programmes Wetherspoon offer are fantastic and if you show potential and hard work it is easy to work yourself up the chain to management. Pre-Covid Wetherspoon offered classroom sessions, I have attended courses in Birmingham and London having the opportunity to meet colleagues from around the country. We stay in touch and often ask one another for advice and help if there is something in which arises when we are on shift that we are unsure how to deal with. Such courses have now been moved online. There is great support from Head Office. Whether that be from Customer Services, HR or Payroll or Training. Rewards are good. Shares, free food on shift, 20% off food and drinks for yourself, friends and family whilst you're off duty.

Cons

As management, a lot of the policies that are in place for Bar/ Kitchen staff to have a good work/ life balance are missed. They are in place, but unlike for bar staff they don't seem to be from monitored from higher up. For example, I have worked for the company for three years and I have never been rota'd a weekend off even though I should have 1/4 off. My colleagues are the same. My salary only pays me for forty hours. I am continuously rota'd for more than forty and can almost never go home early to retrieve them. 'Close, Day off, Opens' continue to happen regularly for management. I often work ten hour shifts without taking a sufficient break. If these issues were addressed, Wetherspoon would be fantastic.

2. "Great"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Glasgow, Scotland, Scotland

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits. Hard going sometimes.

Cons

Long shifts in busy periods

3. "Review"

Current Employee - Shift Manager

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great career progression Share scheme Challenging and rewarding

Cons

Long hours Early mornings Christmas holidays are challenging

4. COVID-19

"Looking after staff during COVID"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in London, England, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I am currently a tenant in an onsite flat. The company has been amazing by not taking rent during pub closures and reduced the rent when we were opened. The rent is a fraction of what a London flat goes for already so its wonderful they offer this and then looks after the tenants/staff during crazy COVID times.

Cons

Slightly nervous about the reopening as most staff wont have been vaccinated by opening day. I know the pubs need to open to make money but I hope it doesn't affect any front of house staff's health.

5. "Good"

Former Employee - Shift Leader

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay, great team, good company benefits

Cons

Work related stress, long hours, early start and late finishes

6. "Good starter job"

Current Employee - Bar Shift Leader in Coventry, England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

It's a good job to help support you through Uni which was the case for me. You can also progress and learn a lot of transferable skills. You could be in a great environment depending on your team.

Cons

Sometimes quite physically demanding and tiring.

7. "Above average"

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Hoddesdon, East of England, England, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible working hours, social job, can be fun

Cons

Low pay, will get sent home if quiet as not worth paying you, the customers, will work evenings and very early mornings if you are a manager

8. "Great to Work for"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Scunthorpe, England, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

Great progression prospects, good bonus scheme, free meals on shift and discount on food and drink when not at work.

Cons

Long hours and physical work

9. "Get What You Put In"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Milton Keynes, England, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I think the work life balance is great and appreciate flexible working. I'm definitely not somebody who could work 9-5 all day everyday. Training is top quality and the company offers free apprenticeships alongside working to add accredited qualifications. Best group of people I have ever met/work with.

Cons

Busy and fast-paced. (I don't see it as a con) But every day is different, who knows what's going to happen

10. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Newcastle, England, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay for all levels and training opportunities (both online and in-class sessions) Flexibility in shifts and can suit people will all forms of commitments Over 850 pubs & hotels and a variety of areas to work in across the country Up to 19% of your salary can be earned in bonuses, with other company bonuses such as pension schemes, free shares, free food on shift and 20% discount off shift. Good working environments and provides a solid foundation to a good social life.

Cons

Can be long hours depending on level on trade and your role within the pub, you need to be prepared to start at 6am one day and finish at 2am the next day (however, usually applies to pub management employees). Can be quite mentally and physically draining due to high levels of trade within pubs and the job will not be for everyone.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 303 Reviews