J D Wetherspoon Team Leader Reviews

John Hutson
  1. "Fast paced"

2.0

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best reason to work here is because of the other members of staff, I made friends for life

Cons

Cons were constantly being called in on days off, very long hours to clean up after closing on busy nights till potentially 5am then being back in at midday or earlier the next day, not enough staff on shifts

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Team Leader in London, England, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay and nice people. Active job

Cons

Customers and sometimes rude managers

3. "Great team, great atmosphere, much expectation"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Your form a community amongst your staff, and you really feel like you have each others backs. Managers reward hard work but this is up to individual managers and how they choose to recognise this. Friends in others venues have seen advancement go to a Manager’s pal, but I did not experience that. I think that is endemic to customer service roles.

Cons

Customers do seem to disregard Spoons employers moreso than any other customer service role I have been in. There seems to big a big emphasis on providing an excellent service to customers who completely disregard you. There should be more encouragement for customers to respect staff and not get their own way by shouting loudest. Advancement opportunities arise as and when.

4. "Good employee benefits but often stressful working environment (if in kitchen)"

Current Employee - Team Leader in London, England, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great if you don't have any qualifications, you can learn skills on the job. You can develop team working and organisational skills. You can buy shares in the company after 5 years. Keeps you on your feet, so good for your health. Great if you enjoy social environments. Good progression oppurtunities.

Cons

If it's a busy weekend, it can be quite a stressful environment to work in. Can involve early starts and late finishes.

5. "Good for students"

2.0
    Former Employee - Kitchen Team Leader

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay but deserve more. I had a flexible contract & schedule. Can make really good friendships in the kitchen and even with the bar. Free food if work 6 hours or more. Supposed to have 3 on the finish so usually out at a good time. Get to listen to music in the kitchen if ur managers ain’t wankers

Cons

Managers sometimes take the mick. Sometimes breaks aren’t given properly and in full if it’s busy. If it’s not a busy pub and you get a rush, nothing is prepared. Can get a lot of injuries from busy shifts. Impossible to socially distance. Customers. Racism. Sexism. Transphobia.

Continue reading
  6. "It’s fun for the most part"

Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

It’s really fun, the people you meet and get to work with are honestly some of the best. The monthly bonus is great and flexible hours!

Cons

Depending on management it can be incredibly stressful. You can feel guilted into doing extra shifts or staying late. It’s hard to book time off

7. "Abundance of opportunities"

5.0
    Current Employee - Team Leader in São Paulo, São Paulo, São Paulo

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

Young staff Good people Energetic workplace Work hard promotions will come your way

Cons

Long hours Short breaks Night shifts

Continue reading
  8. "Great Place to work for short time"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Ribeirão Prêto
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team dynamics and fun personalities.

Cons

management drama, **** customers and tasked jobs that aren't actually in your job description or title e.g. cleaning toilets

9. "-"

Current Employee - Kitchen Team Leader in São Paulo, São Paulo, São Paulo

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

Flexibility of the job. Plus the people you work with sometimes

Cons

Physical impact on the body

10. "Great place to work at."

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Overall I had quite a positive time, initially starting as a Team Member I was able to progress within 3 months, and had plenty of opportunity to keep moving upward. It is dependant on management, but all flexibility requests to rota's were generally approved. I was able to switch between 25 hours and 45 quite easily. At my time, there was a policy in place to ensure no single staff member (applying to management too) was rota'd for more than 7 (or 9?) consecutive days. It was possible to gain overtime through shift swapping, and quite a bit of it. Team-leader responsibilities were generally fulfilling, being able to make suggestions and see changes quickly was a great feeling. Discounts to food and drink make a world of difference whilst on shift, and are a great benefit when socialising. Staff incentives were also quite nice, app sale targets and monthly audit bonuses provide a decent extra wage. Team members, through all the locations I worked at, got along quite well and generally provided a positive enviroment to help you get through a shift. HR act on requests quickly, and effective procedures are in place to ensure everyone is treated fairly.

Cons

Upon transferring to a very different town, it was noticeable that not all pubs are made equal. Responsibility remained the same, but the way in which one was treated by management leaves a bitter taste. Some venues are vastly better than others in terms of management.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 176 Reviews