J D Wetherspoon "discount on food" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Found 1324 reviews

3.4
J D Wetherspoon CEO John Hutson
John Hutson

"Trail by fire and urine"

Current Employee - Bar Associate in London, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lovely bar staff and small discount on food

Cons

No protection against sexual harassment. Regulars allowed to treat female staff however they want with no recriminations. Customers made comments about my body which made me uncomfortable. When I asked one to stop trying to touch me over the bar he told me to go and kill myself. I asked a manager to intervene twice and they ignored me both times. Training given by new staff who've never been trained themselves. No... pay after 1am (we were often there until 3-4 in the morning). All managers were outside hires and managers' friends so progression was a transparent promise. Six day work weeks with shifts a half-hour shy of legal breaks. Managers seemed cruel and miserable. 'Bar associate' is a fancy term which encompasses cleaning up human waste and listening to elderly men talk about what they'd do to you if they were thirty years younger. Alcohol kept cheap by employing a skeleton staff and docking their pay at every opportunity.

Advice to Management

Pay staff for all hours they work. Take claims seriously.

J D Wetherspoon2018-10-11

J D Wetherspoon Response

October 23, 2018Senior Recruitment Advisor

We do not in any way tolerate bullying in the workplace and if you can share specifics of that behaviour you have experienced we will address it. i would encourage you to please give the recruitment team a call at head office to discuss further.

2. "Not actually that bad you know"

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in London, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Cheap discounts on food and drink

Cons

Didn’t really feel like I was part of the team

Advice to Management

There’s levels to the litness

J D Wetherspoon2018-06-06
  3. "Can be a decent way to find some bar experience"

Former Employee - Bar Staff

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Discounts on food, can be a fun work environment, good for learning how to be bar staff if you want experience

Cons

Hours can be very long, work can be very demanding, high staff turnover

J D Wetherspoon2018-05-15
  4. "not that bad"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time

Pros

Helpful colleagues, great team. 50% discount on food when you're working and 20% on other days

Cons

can be horrible during busy hours and weekends, not the best pay

J D Wetherspoon2018-04-26

"Tiring"

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time

Pros

Good discounts on food and drinks

Cons

Long hours No Work/Life Balance

J D Wetherspoon2018-05-07

"Worst job I've EVER had"

Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant in Derby, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay was good Discount on food

Cons

Regularly worked 6 hours+ on the night shift (6-12am officially but clean up often took much longer than that) without so much as a toilet break (I'm a woman so you can imagine the implications of that) whilst other people on the shift were sent for their breaks. Never got to enjoy the food discount as when I did get a break it was never long enough to eat. Once scalded myself on steam from a lasagne yet had... to wait over an hour before I was able to administer first aid. Management was next level atrocious, used a Facebook group to reprimand employees indirectly rather than to their faces and had a go at me through Facebook messenger for complaining about the working conditions to others. Management never learned my name, referred to me as "she" and "her" for the few months I was there. A manager also once came into the kitchen to pull male staff out to look at the legs of a female customer at the bar. When I was hired I took great pains to ensure they knew I was a student and was still treated like dirt when I handed them my timetable for the new year and said I'd no longer be able to work night shifts on days where I had class the next morning. When I signed the contract I couldn't understand why they had a clause banning us from complaining about the job on social media, it only took one shift to figure the reason out.

Advice to Management

Social media is no place to conduct your business. Sexism is not ok. Make sure that the shift leaders are aware everyone is entitled to a break.

J D Wetherspoon2018-05-15

"Shift Leader"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

50% discount on food and drinks while at work, 20% when not. I found my salary to be a few pennies higher than people's one working in a similar job .

Cons

The customers in a cheap priced pub are not always the nicest. Very physical job, you'll be required to stand most of the time and it could be very tiring after long shifts.

Advice to Management

give more gratification for their work to people working hard. Try to retain the good employees and consider increasing the wage when increasing the job tasks. most of my colleagues are very unhappy with the "i-orders".

J D Wetherspoon2018-04-18

"More work then you expect"

I worked at J D Wetherspoon

Pros

Good people most of the time Bonus can be good Easy to progress if you want Employee discount on food and drink Can transfer across the country

Cons

Bonus is dependant on everyone pulling their weight Hours all over the place Getting rotas ahead of time is a challenge Rotas change all the time Expected to do more then your job title entails

Advice to Management

Don’t treat the ones who do all the work badly and ensure people are doing there job

J D Wetherspoon2018-04-02

"Kitchen Staff"

Former Employee - Kitchen Associate in Saint Neots, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Discounts on food and drink are very nice to have, 50% on shift 20% not on shift Extra shifts are freely available as very understaffed

Cons

Extremely short staffed, Almost no training. Unsocial hours Little to no work life balance Very little opportunity to progress Some very rude managers

Advice to Management

Hire more staff and treat the staff you already have better.

J D Wetherspoon2018-03-28

"Fast paced bad management"

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time

Pros

always something to do, discount on food and drink

Cons

shifts vary, poor management, unsociable hours

J D Wetherspoon2018-03-27