J D Wetherspoon "discount on food" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

John Hutson
  1. "Mixed Pros/Cons"

Former Employee - Student in Blackburn, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good discount on food: when on shift you get 50% discount, when off shift you get 33% discount Fairly flexible with time off as long as you book it in advance

Cons

Poor training- this was my first bar job, and I was offered no practical training. My first shift was at 1pm on a Saturday (it was a football day, so extra busy), and I was just thrown on the bar by my manager and expected to cope even though they were fully aware I only had waitressing experience. I am also a student, as are many Spoons employees, and management was fully aware of this- however was shocked and pretty...

Advice to Management

Respect your employees!

J D Wetherspoon2017-07-20

August 1, 2017Recruitment CoOrdinator

Thank you for your feedback, we are sorry to hear that some things were not as you expected and we will work hard to resolve such issues.

"Love the colleagues, hate the customers"

Current Employee - Bar Associate in Westhoughton, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time for more than a year

Pros

Colleagues are mostly fantastic to get along with and everyone does their bit. Really good bonus's if you pass the audits and mystery customers. Ability to swap shifts and flexibility of the rota. Discount on food. Pick up shifts easily when you want more money.

Cons

Management can mess you about a lot. Working every single holiday, Mad Friday - right through to New Year's Day. December is a very exhausting month. Customers are generally pretty horrible, only a few that are nice. Can get left on the floor on your own a lot, which means you're rushed off your feet while everyone else is standing around talking.

Advice to Management

Staff up the floor better. Ensure that everyone has at least a couple of days off near Christmas, gets exhausting doing 8-10days straight. Change the self-standing menus, people throw them on the floor and the wind blows them. It gets a bit tedious and time consuming standing them up every 10 seconds.

J D Wetherspoon2017-06-14

July 4, 2017Recruitment CoOrdinator

3. "Bartender"

I worked at J D Wetherspoon

Pros

Good salary, good management and direction. Discount on food.

Cons

Unfavourable working hours, however this goes with the job of bartending.

J D Wetherspoon2017-03-23
  4. "Not bad for part time work"

Former Employee - Kitchen Porter

I worked at J D Wetherspoon

Pros

Discount on food Friendly staff Very flexible work

Cons

Occasionally get abuse by drunk customers Customers primarily tend to be of the council trash variety

J D Wetherspoon2017-03-14
  5. "Bar Staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time

Pros

The customers are generally quite friendly, especially the regulars. Discount on food during working hours is a plus. And food quality is good. Social scene between colleagues is good.

Cons

The pay is one of the largest drawbacks. Minimum wage, or just about. Plus, no further pay after 12 midnight so on a busy shift if there was a lot to clean up and you were working close. You would be working any time after 12 for free. This was normally around 30 minutes each time so it did add up. Some managers did not treat staff with respect.

Advice to Management

They need to pay more. Pay properly. If work needs to be done after 12 midnight, pay additional money for it. Managers treat staff with respect.

J D Wetherspoon2017-03-24
  6. "Interesting to say the least"

Former Employee - Bar Associate in Leeds, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discounts on food and beverages as well as discounts in other shops

Cons

Abuse from customers, and fired for poor performance on a shift that started 6 hours after previous shift

J D Wetherspoon2017-03-22
  7. "Standard Bar Job"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discounts on food and hotel stays, Friendly Staff all get along well, Friendly Regular customers, Cheap food, Cheap drinks with good variation

Cons

Lack of discounts on drinks, Hate Club 100 creates over familiarization which can be seen as insulting, Refusal to accept constructive criticism

J D Wetherspoon2017-02-24
  8. "2 Years In"

Current Employee - Bar Team Leader in Northampton, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon for more than a year

Pros

fun environment, friendly staff, constant work, decent pay, discounts on food. Builds confidence and self respect. tips occasionally, constant meeting new and different people from all walks of life

Cons

late, sometimes unsociable hours, managers can take the mick or victimise if they don't like you for whatever reason but easily sorted if you go to pub manager who takes grievance seriously.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility, speak to staff about issues, less moaning

J D Wetherspoon2017-02-20
  9. "Sold my soul"

Former Employee - Kitchen Associate in Leominster, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon

Pros

Discount on food Nice building Customer toilets and general cleanliness of the building was good.

Cons

Long hours Unsociable hours High level of "staff sickness" or general staff shortages, therefore sometimes forced to work double shifts. Management didn't know what they were doing.

J D Wetherspoon2017-03-04
  10. "Worked in Retail 11 Years. Enjoy the Roll Fully."

Current Employee - Bar Associate in Stockport, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Worked in Various Places in Retail 11 years And never worked for such a place where the Hours are so flexible and can work around your life. Very good progression opportunities, rewarded for hard work, great working atmosphere with both customers and staff. Great Discount on Food when on and off shift and extends further to the chains hotel bookings. You feel secure in your job. It is hard work for a new member of staff...

Cons

Long time on your feet without sitting down. Can sometimes be hard to get certain days off. Does not recognise outlets within the estate that need a refurb instead focuses on city centre ones.

Advice to Management

I honest enjoy this Job. It initially was just a stop gap to get out of the previous job I was in to keep the bills paid but i've stuck around and I am really enjoying it. Pay could be somewhat better but the bonuses are a good support for when hard work is done. I think my main con at the moment is that our pub is in serious need of a refit but nobody seem to listen or care. It takes the money so I can't understand...

J D Wetherspoon2016-11-18

December 12, 2016Recruitment CoOrdinator

Thank you for the positive feedback, All comments will be discussed further in our weekly meetings.

Found 1235 reviews