J D Wetherspoon "pub" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

J D Wetherspoon Employee Reviews about "pub"

Updated Sep 15, 2019

Found 1307 reviews

3.4
J D Wetherspoon CEO John Hutson
John Hutson
Pros
  • "salary very competitive for the pub trade(in 100 reviews)

• "Good pay, bonus and promotional opportunity(in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • "Much busier than your average Pub/Restaurant(in 147 reviews)

• "Long hours with not enough breaks(in 142 reviews)

Reviews about "pub"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Lots of opportunities and benefits"

Current Employee - Bar Shift Leader in Malvern, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits including free shares, discounts, bonuses, gift vouchers. Competitive rate of pay for the industry (above minimum wage for associates) and the opportunity to earn more for working late nights/early mornings. Lots of opportunity for progression within the company

Cons

Individual pubs can differ massively so the same experience is not guaranteed across the country

Advice to Management

Communicate more with staff and spend more time front of house rather than in the office

J D Wetherspoon2019-07-01
  2. "Fun company to work for, make lots of friends and very good progression, hours are the only major problem"

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Pay, discounts, bonuses and career progression .

Cons

Hours are very stingy, you think the company ran at a loss with how stingy they are with the hours. Often means you are understaffed, rushed off your feet and may not get a break, In my opinion if they invented more hours in the pubs (especially smaller ones as they have it most tight) then it would improve staff morale and retention. Also means you do some of your work unpaid as you don’t get time to do it on shift.

Advice to Management

Invest more hours into pubs, other then that a great company to work for.

J D Wetherspoon2019-06-27
  3. "Good but hard work"

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

good bonus if your pub has high standards extra £1 per hour between midnight and 6am

Cons

long hours job satisfaction varies from pub to pub.

J D Wetherspoon2019-06-25
  4. "Shift Manager/Duty Manager Review"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Mold, Wales

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Management feeding on shifts The Management Academy training is great Good/ fast career progression Met some great friends over the years Feel like the company is starting to improve with regards to work/life balance but still a long way to go!

Cons

As mentioned above, I do feel like the work/life balance is, albeit, slowly improving however we are still a long way off. Long hours, no management breaks and increasing administration is a problem in a lot of pubs especially Suburb pubs where hours do not permit. Increasing work load from Head Office/Area Management/Regional Management is a problem whilst saving hours and cutting costs. No additional... pay or benefits for managers working very early mornings (some 4/5/6am starts) or past midnight. Very hard to get into Retail Auditing/Regional Training/Area Management. There is no clear training development scheme to get into this.

Advice to Management

I understand that we have an associate promise and many pubs have nailed this now. But we need to start looking at a “Manager/Management promise”. Regular audits needs to be carried out to see if the management team are actually getting 1 weekend off a month or two consecutive days off together. This is becoming a tick box exercise and Auditors and area management are not checking this properly and there’s little... implication for not adhering to this. It is very much money comes before people. Stop worrying so much about hours. Managers and associates are run ragged. The team are going home exhausted because cost savings mean less and less staff. Management do not take food breaks because they have so much pressure on them to be on the floor - whilst completing inductions, reviews, admin, sorting deliveries, orders etc etc, only for upper management to complain that service is slow?? some Area management are completely unreasonable, unprofessional and rude. Wouldn’t it be good to have an Audit process to assess their behaviour towards lower staff in the company?? I wonder how many would still have a job afterwards. They might make use of the people management courses maybe?

J D Wetherspoon2019-06-21
  5. "Short-term student job, but they messed me around a lot"

Former Employee - Front of House Staff in Birmingham, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time for more than a year

Pros

-50% off food on shift, 20% when you're off shift. - Great co-workers and some fun regulars (if you're lucky on the latter) -You'll always have amazing stories to tell your friends after every shift, especially in city pubs where people are just downright sleazy most of the time. - Depending on where you are, the managers can be nice.

Cons

- Poor training, I treated like an imbecile after swapping pubs because I hadn't been fully trained. - Last minute rotas despite being told rotas would always be up 3 weeks in advance. - Discrete rota changes, and they ignored the fact that I couldn't work on Sunday evenings because I have 9AM lectures, constant closing shifts despite saying I cannot afford an uber home during the weekend so I would be forced to... cycle/walk home during dangerous hours in the city. - Some 'managers' couldn't arrange a p*** up in a brewery, let alone a shift, some would bully staff, flout the rules and talk to you like you were an idiot when there was no need for it at all. - Offers progression, but the training is truly pitiful, you are literally just thrust in front of a laptop and given the answers. Less competent 'manager favourites' who wouldn't be useful or motivating for the team are chosen for promotion over others. - Managers trying to make you work off the clock before a shift - Some of the most horrible customers you can imagine, some would purposefully defecate on the bathroom floor and smear it because their beer was too 'expensive' despite our prices being very low in the area. And that's just one thing I can think of. - I had a manager pretend that my coworker had not booked her holiday which she had arranged 4 months prior and had confirmed on paper, he had simply ignored her and then said 'oh you can have it but you just won't be paid'. - Many people would cut corners in bad ways, and managers would deny certain things such as prepping cutlery before taking food out - Being expected to juggle food service, glass wash, clearing the floor all in one go and then being shouted for forgetting to a toilet check when the pub is rammed. - Drug/drinking problems amongst co-workers not being addressed or helped with.

Advice to Management

If you employ students, don't pressure them to prioritise a dead-end bar job over their degrees just because you need Sunday cover. Also, you might want to look into how your managers treat their staff and customers in all of your central Birmingham pubs, it's frankly quite disgusting.

J D Wetherspoon2019-06-03
  6. "Not amazing but not the worst"

Former Employee - Bar/Floor Associate

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time

Pros

Can earn good bonuses and hours are flexible

Cons

Not every pub I've worked in has been the same, its all down to management style and so some are worse than others

J D Wetherspoon2019-05-29
  7. "Shift manager"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in London, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Free shares for long term employees Can be very flexible to ensure a healthy work/home life balance

Cons

New 40 hour working week works well, however the expected shift pattern may not suit every manager yet we're not given the choice to make changes. For example, some managers have childcare that may not fit around two days off in a row etc Increase in staff pay leads to cutbacks on hours - you're expected to work twice as hard on busy sessions because the pub still needs to make profit which is exhausting both... managers and staff

Advice to Management

Give management their own choice if they wish to have split days off rather than two in a row

J D Wetherspoon2019-05-10

May 30, 2019Senior Recruitment Advisor

Thank you for your review. If you would like to discuss flexible working please get in touch with the personnel advisor team at PersonnelAdvisors@jdwetherspoon.co.uk

8. "Fast paced and hard work"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

Always have something to do. Keeps you fit with all the walking around taking food if you're in a bigger pub

Cons

Long hours and late closes can be a drag

J D Wetherspoon2019-04-18

May 20, 2019Senior Recruitment Advisor

Many thanks for your feedback and hard work.

9. "Decent first time good. Good pay."

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time

Pros

- Ability to progress - Pay - People - Sociably job

Cons

- Hit and miss managers and pub managers- can be really nice or awful. - Everything's cheap and done to a poor quality- but it is spoons - Tim Martin thinks hes Teresa May with all his Brexit involvement

J D Wetherspoon2019-04-15
  10. "Brilliant but Tough Job"

Former Employee - Kitchen Associate

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent bonus scheme based on overall pub performance Flexible Holiday Scheme Good pay

Cons

Long hours Potentially very late finishes High pressure

J D Wetherspoon2019-04-12

May 20, 2019Senior Recruitment Advisor

We really appreciate your comments in relation to the remuneration and benefits you receive. We are extremely proud of the pub performances achieved and that over 80% of our employees benefit from the bonus scheme in recognition of this.

Found 1307 reviews