Jive Software Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Aug 21, 2017

Found 19 of over 298 reviews

3.3
Jive Software CEO  Scott Brighton (no image)
Scott Brighton
Pros
  • "Great People and atmosphere before it acquired(in 28 reviews)

• "Great company, fabulous people, some great friendships(in 22 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Long days, little work life balance(in 10 reviews)

• "After Aurea has taken over, executive leadership is worthless(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

The pressure to perform is not reasonable

Jun 18, 2016 - Support Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of passionate, dedicated and eager individuals who work very hard.

Cons

I have been working here for 3+ years and at first, it was awesome. It now has sadly turned for the worst. When you treat customer cases as a product down a factory line, what you receive is most who cheat the system and bloat their numbers; which should be no surprise because this is what management is encouraging. There are a couple who are true, but they are rare and end up paying for it by having to work longer hours. In this culture, management will claim it's not about the numbers. The truth is, Jive isn't making a profit and thus, it really is about the numbers and how many cases you are taking and solving, they just don't tell you. What this means is people working insane hours, and hiding this from management just to keep up with the numbers they have. Then when they see you are capable in any fashion of keeping up with those numbers, they ask you for ten more cases a week. What does this mean? Very little work/life balance just to survive. Jive is sadly no longer the darling of wall-street, as the recent lay-offs also show, the honeymoon is over.

11 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A great, innovative company spearheaded by truly inspirational leaders.

Oct 17, 2014 - Sales in Reading, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's hard, but enjoyable and rewarding work and because we use our own product to actually get work done, the usual knowledge silos and lack of effective collaboration that can exist in some companies don't really exist here. The benefits Jive offers are generous and the work-life balance is fair and considerate, again an offshoot of being able to use our own technology. Plus our new Office here in the UK is incredible with free snacks, fresh fruit, an XBOX, Pool table and a well-stocked beer fridge. You may never go home again.

Cons

Nothing too significant other than the usual growing pains that often occur within a fast-paced tech business, especially coupled with some changes on the Executive team over the last 12 months.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee

Mid-sized company with an enormous heart for its employees

Jun 22, 2014 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

I was inspired to write this review after reading a recent interview with the company's CMO about work-life balance. Jive is the rare company that walks that walk, a fact which I am enormously grateful for. You don't have to have cancer to value a company and culture that lets you work around your life circumstances, but when you do have a serious illness like cancer (or a family member with an illness), you value it all the more. I was blindsided by stage 3 breast cancer just 4 months after starting work at Jive. As a young-ish (early 40's) mid-career professional with some of the best blue-chip names in technology and consulting on my resume, it was natural for me to worry about how my new, much smaller employer with its start-up culture would handle the situation. The first thing I learned after my diagnosis, from every medical institution I interacted with across multiple states, is that Jive has a benefits package on par or superior to the other firms I've worked for. I have literally lost track of how many times I have been told (usually with some shock and awe) that I have some of the best health insurance benefits they have seen. Second, while working through cancer treatment is an intensely personal decision, for me it was something I wanted and needed to do to keep my sanity. Jive is an intensely social company which leverages its own technology to foster connectivity and engagement with its employees. That comes in very handy when you want to hire and retain smart, high caliber employees who live in remote places where Jive doesn't have offices, and also when you want to facilitate people working and contributing around their daily lives. That's the part where the CMO's interview really resonated with me. For me, this flexibility has been critical. It meant that I have been able to work throughout diagnosis and surgery in the Bay area, three rounds of second opinions across the country, five months of chemo on the east coast, then back to the Bay area for radiation. I am now embarking on a clinical trial which looks to take me to yet another major city. Throughout, I have been able to stay involved and connected to my team by virtue of the company's work-from-anywhere culture and its use of its own technology to support that value system. And I haven't just been connecting with my immediate teammates, I've been busy interacting with everyone from sales, to our partners, to our CFO. During some of the roughest sections of my chemo treatment I would have days when I was flat out useless. Jive has an (almost unheard of) unlimited PTO policy, but I tended to make up the work either in the evenings when I was feeling better, or over the weekends. I'm not a workaholic, but for me work was a welcome respite from depressing charts and statistics. I was never questioned once about how the hours balanced out, and to this day I honestly do not know. Throughout my treatment, the entire company has been supportive in a compassionate, yet non-intrusive way. Jive's generous company policies follow a company culture that simply passionately values its employees. It's not as if these policies exist for the mere purpose of attracting top talent in the hyper-competitive Silicon Valley hiring market. This company actually cares, and I feel it in a way I did not feel at some of my blue chip former employers. This is a small(ish) company with a big heart, and I wish there were more like it.

Cons

This company values high engagement and interaction, so it's not a great place for those who prefer to remain anonymous or reclusive. And the flip side of a company that facilitates people working round the clock and remotely is that there is always someone working and sending out emails at all hours. With fuzzier work-life boundaries, it comes down to each employee managing that balance for themselves.

12 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing Culture, Integrity, Team Focused, Customer Focused, Employee's encouraged and supported

Apr 17, 2014 - Territory Sales Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Absolutely an amazing company with strong leadership and highly qualified employee's in all positions across the company. I have never seen a software company where the customer rave, love, champion the product. Executives strive to help the employee's grow and earn promotions.

Cons

This is not a company for the faint at heart. Every employee has the desire to transform the way the world works which requires dedication. My opinion this is a huge positive but for those who struggle to maintain work / life balance this may not be the right fit despite the companies amazing flex time off policy and encouragement to take time when needed

4 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Current Employee

Still one of the best opportunities in Portland

Sep 30, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Jive has seen its share of ups and downs in my time here. Once a darling of the Portland tech scene with a strong IPO, the company has struggled in recent years amidst fierce competition in the marketplace over the past several years, facing intense pressure from incumbent giants as well as hot new startups. Through all of those challenges, however, it has remained an amazing place to work, providing ample opportunities to be challenged by those who pursue their careers vigorously and a culture that makes work feel like a second home. Perhaps one of the biggest benefits of working at Jive, and certainly the thing that has kept me here for so long, is the opportunity to build a product you will use and that transforms the workplace. Sounds like a bunch of marketing bs, right? It's true though, and having worked with many customers directly over the years, I've been able to witness the transformation firsthand. You might be able to find better pay elsewhere (though Jive compensation is pretty good), or slightly better benefits, but I doubt you would find *any* opportunity in Portland where you can be a part of a technology story that has such a profound (and positive) impact on the everyday lives of people in the workplace. Jive is still working on refining its identity and crafting a vision for the future, but the leadership team in place today is working together much better than in years past and the current company trajectory is definitely up and to the right. Across the board, management is growing stronger with several programs in the past year to help Jive's leaders improve their management skills. Overall, the level of transparency and collaboration at Jive is unrivaled compared to what I've seen at other workplaces.

Cons

The shift from startup to small public company has been rough, and we're still working on consistent execution against our strategy. If you're looking for the startup feel where the company spins on the dime, Jive has passed that phase. On the flip side, however, that means more consistency and predictability, which is important for work/life balance. There was definitely a hit to the overall morale after the layoffs in May and there are some lingering concerns that have led to a few people operating from a position of fear rather than looking forward to our opportunity. Another solid quarter would help allay those fears.

9 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Working at Jive has been the best experience of my professional career.

Jan 28, 2014 - Software Engineer in Portland, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are many reasons why Jive is a great place to work, but I'll try to limit them to three. First and foremost are the people. Jive management has made a concerted effort to maintain a vibrant culture and it shows. Each employee is hired not solely based on their ability to do their job, but also on their ability to integrate into the culture of openness and collaboration. This makes it a pleasure to go into work and energizes you to solve challenging problems. Second is the career opportunities. Jive is a proponent of 1on1 meetings with employees and their managers to discuss current and future career goals. Managers at Jive take your goals to heart and try to provide you with opportunities to reach them. In some instances if you have the skills, but the role has not been created Jive will create that role for you. Instead of your career being limited by a company you are limited by your own career goals. Third is the work environment and facilities. Jive has spent considerable effort in crafting a work environment that is up to date and works with company culture. Besides providing the usual snacks and beer Jive has updated facilities based on demands from employees such as equipment for ergonomic workstations and the latest technological hardware. Not only is Jive a cool place to work, but also a cool place to relax after work.

Cons

A downside of working at Jive is that there can be a blur in the work/life balance. Due to the fact that it is such a great environment with interesting people you often find yourself discussing work projects outside of work or after hours. Also, given the flexible work hours and opportunities to work from home one can find themselves constantly thinking about work.

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

A once great company with a lot of problems

Jun 8, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The people are kind, hard working, and smart. I truly had fun with the vast majority of my co-workers, and learned more at Jive than any other company I have worked at. - Internal and external stakeholders generally agree the Jive product is the best on the market. When you leave the company, the first thing you will miss is the ease in which the Jive intranet allows you to communicate and collaborate with folks across the company, and throughout different locations, roles and departments. - Super happy customers who love the products. -The true culture of Jive is that of hardworking GNAK's, who take joy in helping each other and the company succeed.

Cons

It's quite sad for me to write this as I love the heart of the company and what it stands for, but over the years the negatives have become too much to bear for most. The results have been an incredibly high turnover rate (with a ton of disengaged employees that continue to stick around), plummeting stock prices, and recent layoffs. There are a few factors that sparked the decline of the company, including mounting market pressure, but most are sadly caused by a leadership team who can't pick a direction and execute. To be fair, Jive has always struggled with poor leadership at all levels for years, but it's really reached a fever pitch in the past couple of years. Though passionate, leadership just doesn't understand how Jive fits into a market of giants like Microsoft and IBM. There is absolutely no work/life balance at Jive as the pressure to perform is intense. With a firehose of shifting priorities constantly pointed at everyone, a HIGH rate of both new and old employees alike burned out and moved on. I've never seen so many people leave a company that had either been there for 5+ years (meaning they were dedicated), or under a year (meaning they became disenchanted fast). Before I left, I slowly watched previously highly motivated co-workers become stressed from the pressure and sheer volume of workload. Sadly, the hardest working Jivers were usually the ones overlooked for recognition.

26 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

An open and dynamic company

Jan 25, 2014 - Senior Strategy Advisor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Jive applies to itself what it recommends to other: be open, be a transparent company, with accessible management, where you work hard but within a friendly environment. Compensation can be good.

Cons

Lots of travels and work which sometimes has an impact on work-life balance. Very US centric company, with product and management style not perfectly adapted to non-US countries.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    9. 5.0

Sales

Sep 29, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, work-life balance and executive access. The company has had its fair share of struggles

Cons

Complacent individual. This problem exists everywhere, but there are some people in critical roles who take no pride in their work and offer no help when called upon.

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Intern, less than 1 year

Great people, great office, great product, great company!

Nov 3, 2014 - Anonymous Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work/life balance, fun culture, lots of room for internal growth,.. Everyone is very dedicated and fun in the company so its a joy to come to work every day The compensation is good, and the offices are beautiful and stocked with great food!

Cons

Couldn't think of 1 bad thing.

1 person found this review helpful