Kimley-Horn Reviews

Updated 19 May 2020

3.7
Kimley-Horn CEO 	Steve Lefton
Steve Lefton
Pros
  • "The retirement and profit sharing contributions are unmatched in the engineering industry(in 44 reviews)

• "Great company, great benefits no complaints(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  1. "The job is great if you don’t mind the overtime"

Current Employee - Civil Engineering Analyst in Orange, CA

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company culture and people!

Cons

A lot is expected or you

Kimley-Horn2020-05-19
  2. "Amazing place to start your career"

Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Melbourne
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

Kimley-Horn does a fantastic job investing in its staff, especially the younger staff. You are given many opportunities and a lot of responsibility right off the bat. The culture is great and it feels like everyone is there to help you. The bonuses, healthcare, and 401k/retirement are the best in the business.

Cons

You can work as much as you want to. This leads to some people getting burned out. The company relies on its employees to determine how much work is too much and many people are not good at saying no.

Kimley-Horn2020-05-13
  3. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Production Analyst

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have a culture that is very employee oriented and they do whatever it takes to ensure that their employees are surrounded by a good environment and have what they need to succeed. They also have great benefits.

Cons

Can have long hours but a lot of times that is expected in the engineering field.

Kimley-Horn2020-05-07

"Small company feel has vanished over past two years."

2.0

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

401k Match (8% to employee 4%) Profit sharing (10% of salary AND bonus) Bonus (varies, but best in industry) The best of the best work here

Cons

Long hours. Expect to work 46 hours on light weeks, 52+ on heavy weeks. This varies greatly depending on your team and discipline. I’d suggest asking for your entire future teams yearly hours worked during an interview before accepting an offer. This should be easy for HR to provide (public knowledge to all staff) and cuts out all the BS. You’ll be able to divide that number by 26 to get a true feel on the expectations for that team. 6 year vesting schedule. On top of that, you only see your contribution once a year (industry standard is every paycheck). You will not get a contribution for your first year here, meaning if you start working here at the beginning of a calendar year, you will not see a single penny of 401k match / profit sharing for 24 months. Our 401k & profit sharing are distributed on February 15th every year. 30% of our contributions (for the entire year) were wiped out in one month due to COVID-19. Management, consider giving employees their contribution bi-monthly to allow for true cost-basis investing. Low salaries. This is usually not an issue with a bonus & profit sharing, but all of that is possibly gone with COVID-19 impacts. If you calculate your true hourly rate (we are not paid OT), it is much much lower than industry standard. Bottom line. If you’re looking to identify your life as being a civil engineering consultant, this place is for you. You’ll make good money (in the long run). If you’re looking for flexibility and to have free time in your 20’s, look elsewhere. This isn’t 2009, even in this global pandemic there are plenty of opportunities.

Kimley-Horn2020-05-04

"Great Experience, VERY Long Hours"

4.0
    Former Employee - Land Development Civil Analyst

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits including an insane 401K match, great medical, good overall company culture, sizable bonus at the end of the year (even though bonuses are taxed at a higher rate and they do not cover what would've been straight-pay overtime)

Cons

Utilization rates are VERY important, and vacation time is not subtracted from the total hours you need to work to meet your UT goal. Essentially, if your UT is 96% and you take a week long vacation, you have to make up those 38.4 hours over the course of the year by working overtime without pay.

Kimley-Horn2020-04-15
  6. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Civil Engineering Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people to learn from and work with

Cons

Can be long hours but fairly par for the industry

Kimley-Horn2020-04-07
  7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Civil Analyst in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time for less than a year

Pros

Seems to really care for and take of employees

Cons

None that come to mind. Excellent place to be

Kimley-Horn2020-04-02
  8. "Transparent Meritocracy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone is rewarded for their successes whether an admin, a one year analyst, or a seasoned Project Manager bringing in work. The biggest rewards are shown through incredible annual bonuses and profit sharing/401K match (18%!!!!!!) but there are also fun things like teamwork awards ($50), spot bonuses, and red envelope days ($ amount varies but I've seen as much as $400). I've been really impressed with their Covid response. I believe leadership has demonstrated the right balance of keeping the company running through a pandemic while looking after our safety and wellbeing. Communications have been constant and it's obvious that we are making huge investments in technology to allow anyone who desires to (or is required to!) work from home to be able to do so.

Cons

There are no cons for me but if you want to work a 40 hour work-week, this isn't the place for you.

Kimley-Horn2020-03-23
  9. "Great Environment"

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time for less than a year

Pros

1) Great Environment 2) Good Salary 3) Good Benefits 4) Profit Sharing 5) Generous Bonus

Cons

Predominately technical writing . This position is more like a glorified admin job.

Kimley-Horn2020-03-26
  10. "Good work"

Former Employee - Civil Engineer Trainee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay and excellent benefits

Cons

Extremely high expectations and little training

Kimley-Horn2020-03-26