Kimley-Horn Employee Reviews about "great people"

Updated 7 Apr 2020

3.8
Kimley-Horn CEO 	Steve Lefton
Steve Lefton
Pros
  • "The retirement and profit sharing contributions are unmatched in the engineering industry(in 44 reviews)

• "Great company, great benefits no complaints(in 34 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "great people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Place to Work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Civil Engineering Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people to learn from and work with

Cons

Can be long hours but fairly par for the industry

Kimley-Horn2020-04-07
  2. "Great place for young professionals"

Current Employee - Civil Analyst in Orange, CA

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

- A lot of opportunity to learn - Variety of projects to work on - Great people and environment - Shifting culture allows for more career exploration

Cons

- Work/life balance can be better

Kimley-Horn2020-01-05
  3. "Excellent Company!!!"

Former Employee - Civil Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, Early Experience, Working Relationships KHA is an excellent place to start work for a young engineer fresh out of school. You have the opportunity to get exposed to a lot of different disciplines with some great people that actually want to teach and want you to learn. You develop working relationships with your co-workers (future partners) that will never be forgotten.

Cons

Monthly Pay Schedule, Working Hours (UT Effort), Accessibility While KHA has its pros it also has it cons. If you are from another company assimilating into the KHA "KHulture" please be aware that this process takes some patience on your part. A lot of the PMs at KHA grew up in this company and most times have not been exposed to how other firms are run. Mid-levels coming into the company (P3 & P4 hires) know that you more than likely will not have a laptop and will be forced to work on a tower. This can prove to be very inconvenient for you close to the holidays when you need to work out of another office and your work primarily consists of you fixing redlines in AutoCAD all day. I can remember wanting to head back home to Detroit one Christmas and having to return the day after Christmas to my home office (Atlanta) to finish a submittal simply because the loaner laptop that was given to me could not handle the Civil 3D.

Kimley-Horn2020-01-14

"Great People To Work With"

Current Employee - Civil Analyst in Orange, CA

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time for more than a year

Pros

Colleagues tend to be really great people all around. The company actually promotes and encourages your individual success. Great compensation, benefits, and profit sharing(even for new staff).

Cons

Expect longer hours then average. The push for growth can feel taxing

Kimley-Horn2019-09-09

"Great place to work... if you love to work"

Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people & benefits, cool projects, endless opportunities to grow your career and learn from intelligent/motivated people. Management is very transparent; they make an effort to teach you how the company works (and consequently how your contributions make the company profitable). Endless financial incentives to keep working towards.

Cons

Work/life balance is rare, unless you love working. Long hours are common, environment is stressful before deadlines (though common with most consulting firms). There are times when the hours are normal (46 hr/wk is standard), but the pressure of achieving your utilization rate overshadows everything. You are led to believe that every consulting firm works as much and as hard... but that isn't true. If your career is the most important thing to you- KH will help you achieve your goals and more. But if it isn't... you can be happier elsewhere. KH is not for everyone.

Kimley-Horn2019-08-01

"Not worth it"

2.0

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

Great people in every office. Benefits were good.

Cons

Most of the people here when asked will tell you they don’t care for the work/life balance. These people are split into a couple groups. Those who joined right out of college and those who came from other companies. If you’ve come from another company you’ll at least have the advantage of knowing when it’s time to leave because between this and the toxic management it gets very stressful. Fortunately for them they hire a lot of fresh grads which works out great. They’re kool-aid parties are good at brainwashing newbies into the idea that KH is the greatest thing that has ever happened to the consulting world. If you’re anything other than civil turn away right now and never look back. Being either a mechanical or electrical in this firm will leave you feeling more like a glorified electrician or HVAC contractor than anything else. Speaking with an electrical once they mentioned that in the entire firm (approx 3000) there were 20 of them total (aka zero knowledge pool). In the end if you’re a civil, you don’t care about your personal life, you don’t care about unpaid OT, and you’re willing to work an excessive amount of hours then this is the place for you.

Kimley-Horn2019-03-02
  7. "Civil Analyst"

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Work life balance needs work.

Kimley-Horn2018-12-19

"Not for everyone"

2.0
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Overall compensation including salary bonus and profit sharing are second to none. If your priority is money, this is your place. The professionalism of most staff is above industry average. There are great people at this firm. I made lifelong friends in my time there.

Cons

Kimley-Horn is not for everyone. All consultants work many many hours, but Kimley-Horn does it better than anyone else. They have some of the highest utilization rates in the industry. 120+% total effort weekly is encouraged. Kimley-Horn is an engineering firm. If you are not an engineer or like winning your own work, you likely won’t last. There is no appreciation for niche or support practices. Period. The ridiculous compensation, especially of senior staff, does not lead to mentoring or development of junior staff. No one is going to sacrifice the least for you when there’s so much money on the line.

Kimley-Horn2018-09-03

Kimley-Horn Response

October 3, 2018Team Member

Thank you for your review. We're glad you made great friends here. It's true that Kimley-Horn is not for everyone - but for those who are dedicated to the success of their clients and their coworkers, it can be a great place. We dedicate the vast majority of our training to our young and mid-level professionals in a wide variety of topics, as we know they are the future of our firm. We want to help them broaden their expertise and their skills, growing to be leaders of their own practices. We are proud to be one of the largest engineering design, land planning, environmental planning, and landscape architecture firms, offering a broad range of experts to meet our client's needs.

9. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Human Resources Analyst in Orange, CA

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture Great people Fun Perks VP of Fun YP Group

Cons

Job titles in HR aren't truly reflective of the roles and responsibilities

Kimley-Horn2018-03-19

"Civil Analyst"

Current Employee - Civil Analyst

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity is endless. Great people. Great benefits.

Cons

Need to work on improving as a team.. Individual standouts and awards will only get you so far.

Kimley-Horn2018-03-13