Kimley-Horn Employee Reviews about "profit sharing"

Updated 4 May 2020

3.8
Kimley-Horn CEO 	Steve Lefton
Steve Lefton
Pros
  • "The retirement and profit sharing contributions are unmatched in the engineering industry(in 44 reviews)

• "Great company, great benefits no complaints(in 34 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "profit sharing"

Return to all Reviews

"Small company feel has vanished over past two years."

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

401k Match (8% to employee 4%) Profit sharing (10% of salary AND bonus) Bonus (varies, but best in industry) The best of the best work here

Cons

Long hours. Expect to work 46 hours on light weeks, 52+ on heavy weeks. This varies greatly depending on your team and discipline. I’d suggest asking for your entire future teams yearly hours worked during an interview before accepting an offer. This should be easy for HR to provide (public knowledge to all staff) and cuts out all the BS. You’ll be able to divide that number by 26 to get a true feel on the expectations for that team. 6 year vesting schedule. On top of that, you only see your contribution once a year (industry standard is every paycheck). You will not get a contribution for your first year here, meaning if you start working here at the beginning of a calendar year, you will not see a single penny of 401k match / profit sharing for 24 months. Our 401k & profit sharing are distributed on February 15th every year. 30% of our contributions (for the entire year) were wiped out in one month due to COVID-19. Management, consider giving employees their contribution bi-monthly to allow for true cost-basis investing. Low salaries. This is usually not an issue with a bonus & profit sharing, but all of that is possibly gone with COVID-19 impacts. If you calculate your true hourly rate (we are not paid OT), it is much much lower than industry standard. Bottom line. If you’re looking to identify your life as being a civil engineering consultant, this place is for you. You’ll make good money (in the long run). If you’re looking for flexibility and to have free time in your 20’s, look elsewhere. This isn’t 2009, even in this global pandemic there are plenty of opportunities.

Kimley-Horn2020-05-04
  2. "Transparent Meritocracy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone is rewarded for their successes whether an admin, a one year analyst, or a seasoned Project Manager bringing in work. The biggest rewards are shown through incredible annual bonuses and profit sharing/401K match (18%!!!!!!) but there are also fun things like teamwork awards ($50), spot bonuses, and red envelope days ($ amount varies but I've seen as much as $400). I've been really impressed with their Covid response. I believe leadership has demonstrated the right balance of keeping the company running through a pandemic while looking after our safety and wellbeing. Communications have been constant and it's obvious that we are making huge investments in technology to allow anyone who desires to (or is required to!) work from home to be able to do so.

Cons

There are no cons for me but if you want to work a 40 hour work-week, this isn't the place for you.

Kimley-Horn2020-03-23
  3. "Great Environment"

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time for less than a year

Pros

1) Great Environment 2) Good Salary 3) Good Benefits 4) Profit Sharing 5) Generous Bonus

Cons

Predominately technical writing . This position is more like a glorified admin job.

Kimley-Horn2020-03-26
  4. "Excellent Corporate Structure"

Current Intern - Civil Intern in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Kimley-Horn for less than a year

Pros

KH is entirely employee owned and really rewards hard work through profit sharing. There's also a strong culture of being supportive and helpful.

Cons

Working while eating lunch seems fairly common.

Kimley-Horn2020-01-28

"Great People To Work With"

Current Employee - Civil Analyst in Orange, CA

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time for more than a year

Pros

Colleagues tend to be really great people all around. The company actually promotes and encourages your individual success. Great compensation, benefits, and profit sharing(even for new staff).

Cons

Expect longer hours then average. The push for growth can feel taxing

Kimley-Horn2019-09-09

"The Grass Really is Greener..."

Former Employee - Civil Analyst in Reston, VA

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- 9/9/9/9/4 work week schedule allows for some flexibility and longer weekends. - While working long hours is also a con, 46+ hour work weeks allow analysts to gain experience ahead of peers at other firms. - Benefits are good and cost very little for the employee. - Profit-sharing is generous.

Cons

- Work/life balance is not achievable due to utilization goals and company culture. - Utilization goals are extremely high for all employees, particularly for younger staff. Since training, marketing, federal holidays, and paid time off all count against UT, employees have to "make up" any time they take off in order to reach their UT goals. This system discourages employees from taking the paid time off that they earn and from attending training/professional development events. - KH is meticulous about forecasting workload months out and on a weekly basis as well. However, employees are routinely forecasting 50-60 hour work weeks and nothing is done to rectify that. The expectation is that staff will cancel their outside plans and give up their free time in order to meet deadlines that their PMs set. - Overtime is essentially required in order to reach the recommended 115% effort (46 hours per week = 6 extra hours per week, 24 per month, 288 per year minimum). Despite this expectation, employees are not compensated for their extra time. - Staff are repeatedly drowned in the KHool-aid that "all consulting firms are like this, but at Kimley-Horn is transparent about it." From experience, this is not the case; other firms have managed to remain profitable while allowing their employees to have lives outside of the office as well.

Kimley-Horn2019-08-12

"Long hours but worth it"

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

The people are wonderful here! Everyone really loves and enjoys the job and it is a positive environment on the whole. People are very helpful and collaborative, and everyone wants everyone to succeed. There is no competition within the office or within the firm which makes for a supportive and successful work place. You are always well compensated for your time, with great salary and benefits like bonuses, 401k plans with profit sharing, etc.

Cons

The hours can be long, especially depending on your work style. Some folks like to stay late on weekdays and then unplug every weekend and other people work shorter weekdays and partial weekends, so it’s really dependent on the employee’s lifestyle.

Kimley-Horn2018-10-19

"Not for everyone"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Overall compensation including salary bonus and profit sharing are second to none. If your priority is money, this is your place. The professionalism of most staff is above industry average. There are great people at this firm. I made lifelong friends in my time there.

Cons

Kimley-Horn is not for everyone. All consultants work many many hours, but Kimley-Horn does it better than anyone else. They have some of the highest utilization rates in the industry. 120+% total effort weekly is encouraged. Kimley-Horn is an engineering firm. If you are not an engineer or like winning your own work, you likely won’t last. There is no appreciation for niche or support practices. Period. The ridiculous compensation, especially of senior staff, does not lead to mentoring or development of junior staff. No one is going to sacrifice the least for you when there’s so much money on the line.

Kimley-Horn2018-09-03

Kimley-Horn Response

October 3, 2018Team Member

Thank you for your review. We're glad you made great friends here. It's true that Kimley-Horn is not for everyone - but for those who are dedicated to the success of their clients and their coworkers, it can be a great place. We dedicate the vast majority of our training to our young and mid-level professionals in a wide variety of topics, as we know they are the future of our firm. We want to help them broaden their expertise and their skills, growing to be leaders of their own practices. We are proud to be one of the largest engineering design, land planning, environmental planning, and landscape architecture firms, offering a broad range of experts to meet our client's needs.

"Best Engineering Consultant Agency by Far"

Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Employee Owned, greatest shareholder is less that 5%. Huge Bonuses. Awesome Profit Sharing.

Cons

Depending on your practice or who you work for, the hours could be long. For example, a client might call you and have you run through a fire drill, now the whole staff has to work late all week to meet a new deadline. However, that's not a problem specific to Kimley-Horn. That's what you sign up for to be a successful consultant. I'd like to see any successful consultant that has perfect work/life balance. There's an ebb and flow to it that's learned over time. Sometimes it's balanced, sometimes it's not. It could be worse for sure. Look at companies like Google or Facebook where their employee's sometimes run 80 hour work weeks for a year.

Kimley-Horn2018-06-07
  10. "Good"

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

Profit Sharing and bonuses

Cons

None that I can think of

Kimley-Horn2018-05-30