Kin + Carta Americas Reviews

Updated 11 Aug 2020

4.2
Kin + Carta Americas CEO Kelly Manthey
Kelly Manthey
Pros
  • "Training budget is generous, however my training request for Spring certification was denied for no good reason(in 41 reviews)

• "Work / life balance (good mix between traveling for client work and working from the office)(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains have persisted since the firm’s acquisition with only minor adjustments(in 25 reviews)

• "Aside from that, pay & benefits are below industry standards while work life balance is pure fiction(in 9 reviews)

1. "This place changed my life"

Current Employee - Vice President of Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kin + Carta Americas full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I joined the firm as a Junior Business Analyst at one of our most conservative client sites. Today, I lead our new business efforts from the central region of K + C Americas. When I think about the reasons why I stay with the firm 8 years later, the following themes come to mind: Life-Long Friends - I can honestly say that the friends I've made at the firm are some of the best in my life. I've leaned on them in tough personal circumstances and had the most fun on the job that I can remember. New Experiences - I've had the chance to travel internationally. First to present to a client's board member in Germany. Then, for an offsite with peers in the UK. Up next on my list is to hopefully visit our colleagues in Argentina. I've also had many 'firsts' when it comes to leading a project, pitching for new business, and managing employees which have all helped me grow. Dedicated Mentors - I've been fortunate enough to have invested mentors that challenged me and helped me make steady progressions throughout my career. This has not been without stress or struggle but has made me a better, without a doubt. World Class Talent - The people that work at K + C have to be some of the most innovative, intelligent group of people in the industry. I've certainly learned more from the collaboration with my colleagues than ever in my life. Opportunity & Growth - I joined the firm at a time we had about 40 employees, we're now at 1,600 globally. Every evolution of our growth has provided new opportunities and stretched us from our comfort zone to constantly challenge.

Cons

For me, the 'Cons' stem from two things. (1) Being a Services Business - I think a big challenge in the tech industry is around product vs. services and the pros/cons that can come from this. As a services business, we're a client dependent business, so we have to make certain decisions to make our clients happy or fill a project need, but may not be the most ideal circumstance for our consultants. With that being said, I think we are making progress towards continuing to find the most innovative project work and negotiating arrangements that our employees prefer. (2) Being a publically traded company - as a publically traded firm, our performance is monitored month to month and quarter to quarter. So it can cause us to think in the short term and hamstring decisions that you may make differently as a private firm. At the same time, being a public firm also provides access to investments that can help our growth efforts.

2. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kin + Carta Americas full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been at Kin+Carta for over 2 years (through the rebranding from Solstice) and I can say it's the best job that I've had. All of the people are super nice and great to work with. They really take the "no-a**hole" policy to heart. You can talk to the executive team about any and everything. They're transparent about the goings-on in the business and they will answer the hard questions to make things clear even if it is ultimately a really tough conversation. They are always looking at the culture and are constantly thinking of ways for the employees to feel like they're "coming home" every day.

Cons

The flat organization has it's tough roads. I get not being hierarchical to the point where decisions/plans/solutions only come from the top but with not having some sort to defined structure people start to feel left behind or unsure of where they fit in the grand scheme of things and who to go to for what.

July 30, 2020CEO

Thank you for sharing. I am glad it feels like 'home', we work hard at keeping that feeling and no doubt you are doing great things to make it feel like 'home' for others. On the flat structure - I agree, it's time to evolve. And that's what we are doing. As we grow we have created organizational structure in each of geographic locations so that people understand where they fit, what their goals are, who is there for them to help steer their career and also day to day concerns. We aren't a culture of 'managers' per se but there is some comfort in knowing 'who do I report to' and 'where do I belong'? Our belief in servant leadership and giving freedom within a frame are the core tenets of our operating model that, I believe, will keep our culture and keep people growing without fearing the negative connotations that can often come with a 'hierarchy' or 'org chart'. When you are 50 people it's a bit easier to keep it more fluid, but as we approach 800+ in the Americas it's clear every needs to know what the boxes on the org chart look like. Keep challenging us and providing your input as we evolve.

"No longer a great place to work"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kin + Carta Americas full-time for more than a year

Pros

Training Budget Some great people Nice office

Cons

- Promotions are not based on your work/merit, but based on how good of friends you can become with a manager. - Culture is no longer what once made this company special. It's quite clear that the only intention of the company is to turn a profit, the destruction of people's lives that is left in that wake doesn't matter. - Management is not transparent. - Communication is slow and lethargic. - Management/C Suite has office hours, which seems like a Pro. But when you schedule 2 different meetings during the CEO's office hours, and then they sit through both of your meetings chatting with their assistant, it doesn't appear that they really have office hours. - Limited knowledge of pipeline of projects. Things are constantly changing, mainly because the organization doesn't know when or where their next project will come in. Which in turn, causes a ripple (see above)

Continue reading
  4. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Product Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kin + Carta Americas full-time for less than a year

Pros

Culture, agility, engagement, work-life balance, and quite a few others!

Cons

None that I can really think of!

July 30, 2020CEO

Thank you for taking the time to share and for giving the things you love a shout.

"Lost What Once Made it Special"

2.0
    Former Employee - Employee

I worked at Kin + Carta Americas full-time

Pros

The people that work there are fun and great people to spend time around. Everyone is smart and driven to do great things.

Cons

I think K+C used to be something special, and a lot of people hang on to that idea. However, they are no longer the small tight-knit company they once were. Unfortunately when you scale, you lose the things that made it special. The company culture was one of the things that took a huge hit when they scaled. It is no longer what it once was. Since there isn't a large dedicated team to handle internal needs, there is an unspoken expectation that you put in your free time towards company initiatives. K+C also has many many HR issues they do not know how to solve. Since they are a "flat organization" (no mangers), there is no clear person to go to when you have issues. There is no clear path for growth or achieving your personal career goals. K+C has become basically become a staffing firm, putting consultants on projects where they are unhappy with no end in sight.

July 30, 2020CEO

I appreciate the time you took to provide your perspective and feedback. Culture is a never-ending journey, especially amidst the years of continual growth that we’ve seen. You’re right to mention that a lot of the ways we used to operate just don’t serve us anymore. As a people-first organization, employee feedback has continued to drive meaningful internal strategy and evolution. We’ve taken the restrictions of our historically flat structure to heart and have evolved our operating model to better serve employees. We’ll always be able to do better and we’ll never be done in providing support and opportunity to each employee. That’s why we’ve set up internal mechanisms to have these conversations that drive change. I wish you the best in the next step in your own journey. Thanks again for your time with us.

6. "Opportunities to challenge and stretch yourself"

I have been working at Kin + Carta Americas full-time

Pros

The culture at Kin + Carta thrives on servant leadership, which is the main reason why I'm still here today. The concept is easy to understand, but difficult to maintain in a growing company. Our culture values aren't owned by the leadership team. They are owned, and protected, by every single Kin in their daily interactions with others. You can't fake it, and people would see right through it. But when it's real, which it is here, you can feel it. And it's energizing to work alongside others that want to maintain that culture, even amongst the challenges we as a society are going through right now.

Cons

You aren't always given specific directions and told how to go about doing your job. This can be daunting for those that are new in their careers, or those that actually want to be given a daily task list and check things off. Here, you are most often given challenges to solve, and provided with a support system to lean on when you need it. And similarly, it's up to you to own your career growth. You have a mentor, employee experience (HR) support, open access to leaders, and many other tools to build your career. But ultimately it's up to you to own it, and decide how much you want to put into learning and growing. And most of the successful Kin find that supporting others in their career growth, and taking the time to listen and learn about others as people, not just as a co-worker, provides them with higher levels of satisfaction.

July 30, 2020CEO

Thank you for sharing your perspective. I see servant leadership live and breathe within our firm everyday, too. That, and growth mindset — the people who work at Kin + Carta have a hunger to solve the big challenges for our clients. Our operating model evolution ensures that employees have the support in place to grow and continue to solve the tough problems together. Thanks for going on this journey with us.

7. "Good place"

4.0
    Former Employee - Software Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kin + Carta Americas full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of perks and fun socializing

Cons

Strange way of promoting, based on other coworkers

"A great place to grow and make an impact"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kin + Carta Americas full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Kin + Carta actually cares about people, servant leadership is embedded in the culture vs. a command and control environment - Teams help fortune 500 companies solve their toughest problems - the work is challenging, innovative and exciting and you have the ability to help our clients make an impact - There are a lot of opportunities to grow either through your client work or internal contributions; roles can be what you make of them and you can find a lot of fulfillment and growth by going above and beyond a role description - There are a plethora of avenues to get involved internally and build community within Kin + Carta - Kin + Carta has a culture built on continuous improvement, leadership listens to employee feedback to continue to make it a great place to work - You get to work in an incredibly supportive work environment where your colleagues help you to succeed

Cons

Kin + Carta has had tremendous growth over the past 6+ years, if you can't embrace change, this is not the place for you.

July 30, 2020CEO

I appreciate you sharing your perspective and your feedback. As a business, we will never stop adapting to the changing needs of our clients and the people, like you, who make this a great place to work. I have no doubt that you’re playing an active role with our clients and internally at Kin + Carta. This multiplies us all for success. We will never stop listening or looking for ways to improve.

9. COVID-19

"Great people. Who care. A lot."

I have been working at Kin + Carta Americas full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Everyone I work with at Kin + Carta cares A TON about making our company and our offices better places to work. They love to take care of each other, take care of our clients, and help all of us, Kin and Clients alike, WIN. I came to Solstice over 5 years ago because of our culture, our servant leadership, and our world class purpose-driven teams focused on delivering transformative value to our clients and elevating each other. That is the same reason I am still at Kin + Carta today. Kin + Carta was growing fast before COVID and will continue to be a rocket ship to ride after COVID. If you're smart, driven, passionate, hard-working, empathetic and you serve others before yourself, you will go far and likely advance faster than at other firms. If you're just looking to punch the clock, be average, and hold out for tenure based promotions every few years, this is not the place for you.

Cons

Kin + Carta continues to be a very dynamic and fluid environment. Change is a constant as each of the last 5 years has brought a major development requiring significant organizational and operational change. If you don't like change, this is not the place for you either. Communications overload can be a bear, to be honest. Slack and meetings have become a tad burdensome for senior managers and above. However, senior leaders are aware and working to address this.

May 6, 2020CEO

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. I have no doubt you've played a big role in creating a culture we all feel safe and included in. We are a dynamic business but we are also in extraordinarily challenging times. We will continue to do what we do best which is show our resilience and adaptability. Thanks for going on this journey with us .

"Great Culture!"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kin + Carta Americas full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have worked at a handful of companies and have not experienced an organization that lives its values more (and they promote them less)! Compassion, Courage, Connection run through the company. K+C is a certified B corp organization truly does aim to make the world work better. It's run by servant leaders that enjoy seeing others grow and thrive. It's truly engaging and heartwarming to work with this group of people, who show up, do great work, and are fully authentic as they bring their whole selves to work.

Cons

Similar cons to other consulting organizations. Much of the day to day work is driven by client engagements, which vary in nature.

May 6, 2020CEO

I am glad you have had a positive experience during your first year and that you have seen our values in action. Thank you for going on this journey with us and for having the courage to share your experience.

Found 192 reviews