Klarna Reviews

Updated 19 May 2020

3.4
Klarna CEO and Founder Sebastian Siemiatkowski
Sebastian Siemiatkowski
Pros
  • "Fast-paced environment with interesting technical challenges(in 36 reviews)

• "Killing checkout products and great people to work with(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Poor middle management with low understanding of issues(in 15 reviews)

• "If you are not Swedish you can get stuck in your career path(in 10 reviews)

"Relaxed but not very challenging"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Berlin

I worked at Klarna full-time for less than a year

Pros

+ You work with smart people + Klarna invests in talent + Extremely relaxed work life balance. + They have a fancy new office in Berlin

Cons

- It's extremely important to know in which domain (department) you will work, some are much better organized and staffed with better talent than others. - Many employees at Klarna (especially the ones who are with Klarna forever and haven't seen other startups) keep saying how fast they move but it didn't feel this way for me at all. So many pointless meetings and it was completely accepted that any deadline is not taken seriously. - Engineering focus: In the domain I worked there were a lot of teams migrating databases and code, different teams working on the same topic etc. However, there was a clear lack of product vision and why all these things were actually done. - Leadership: There are many mid level managers who work at Klarna for a long time and therefore got this position although they might not have the profile for it. They then lead people who are very talented but leave the company quickly again in frustration.

Klarna2020-05-19
  2. "Future of business"

5.0
    Current Employee - Manager in Stockholm, Stockholm
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Klarna full-time for more than a year

Pros

They value people and their way of thinking

Cons

Stressfull and fast going pace all the time

Klarna2020-04-30

May 14, 2020Org &. Leadership

Hi, Thank you for sharing. What makes Klarna is you: our people. You are very important to us, so it makes us very happy to see that this is aligned with your experience. Best regards, Klarna

3. "Great Growth"

4.0
    Current Employee - Social Media Manager in Stockholm, Stockholm

I have been working at Klarna full-time

Pros

Great to grow in the company

Cons

Assessment test inaccurate and does not do justice to the applicant

Klarna2020-04-22

"OK Place"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Stockholm, Stockholm
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Klarna full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Happy people - Semi good salary

Cons

- Poor middle management with low understanding of issues.

Klarna2020-04-29

"Exciting in the beginning but then disillusionment sets in."

I have been working at Klarna full-time

Pros

- You are enabled to run with your own ideas and given the chance to own meaningful work at mid-lower levels of the company. - You get to work with a global company and interact with people all sorts of backgrounds. - Frequent fikas and office activities (at least in Stockholm). - Good work/life balance as long as you are under the radar. - Relatively flat organization.

Cons

- Despite being a tech company, clean data is rarely available for anything and makes it hard to really measure ROI and make informed business decisions. There doesn't seem to be any real effort to change that. - Career advancement is very arbitrary and therefore nearly non-existent despite efforts of HR to make it seem like the opposite. Management has made clear that titles and promotions should "not matter" and that we should feel privileged for even working at Klarna. - The management team are Sebastian's puppets. In all meetings I've had with S, the room is silent and all leaders just say "Yes, sir!" Leaders are not in a position to challenge any of his ideas, in fact, they seem to be paralyzed by fear. - There is no empathy at this company.

Klarna2020-04-23

May 14, 2020Org &. Leadership

Hello, Thank you for your feedback. It’s valuable for us to understand what is working and what we can do better to improve our workplace. We’re glad to see that you feel work is meaningful and that you enjoy the atmosphere. We do hear you concerns and we’re taking this feedback with us for future improvements. The career path at Klarna is not a traditional, straight path, but the opportunities for career development are countless. We think this is a very important subject and are continuously looking into how we can make our internal opportunities more visible. Your feedback is very helpful. Best regards, Klarna

"Come here to be micromanaged"

I have been working at Klarna full-time

Pros

This company USED To be amazing. They still do some things right, they give people opportunities and chances and people can get promoted very quickly.

Cons

It's a CRAZY amount of micromanagement. They're no longer a company that is agile. We have team reviews every 2 weeks with a presentation of what we're working on. the results of these can change our roadmap completely

Klarna2020-04-15

"Disappointing company"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Stockholm, Stockholm

I worked at Klarna full-time

Pros

They will help you if you are moving from another country.

Cons

Low salaries. Before signing with them do some research and find out about IT salaries in Sweden at any union's website. A company with a toxic environment and with high rotation. More than 50% of employees have been at the company for less than two years.

Klarna2020-04-04
  8. "Continuous learning"

5.0

I have been working at Klarna full-time

Pros

Fast paced and supportive environment, continous learning, and good working atmosphere

Cons

Can be a bit challenging sometimes

Klarna2020-02-27

May 14, 2020Org &. Leadership

Hi, Thank you for sharing! It makes us very happy to see that you enjoy working with us and feel that you're developing. Best regards, Klarna

"Save yourself and don't work there."

I worked at Klarna full-time

Pros

Sold as a fast paced company full of opportunities.

Cons

Klarna insanely overworks people and burnout cases are plenty. If you fail, because you've been working at 200% capacity, the management takes it hard on you, without even appreciating your hard work. There is no work-life balance.

Klarna2020-03-27

"A Low Paying, Coronavirus Petri Dish"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Berlin

I have been working at Klarna full-time for more than a year

Pros

The customer service agents and some of the managers are nice people.

Cons

Barely get paid minimum wage (if you get the bonus) A coronavirus disaster waiting to happen (“don’t worry, Berlin is at low risk”) No benefits other than health insurance, which is mandatory Terrible environment in general Head office in Stockholm does not listen too are care about it’s employees outside of Sweden Company not as smoooth as it thinks it is You feel feel horrible helping this bank put people in debt

Klarna2020-03-11